Receding water levels at Lake Mead have exposed 60,000 acres of land, creating a petri dish the size of Denver for UNLV biology students and others to study how to restore wildlife habitat.
Students Matthew Rader and Vivian Sam were joined by 10 volunteers for eight hours on a recent Saturday morning in an effort to bring life to 4 acres affected by the receding water.
Armed with shovels, the group turned enough dirt to plant 630 trees and grasses along the Las Vegas Wash, an area that was once submerged and served as a docking area for boats.
This area was 50 feet below Lake Mead, said Dr. Scott Abella, assistant professor in the School of Life Sciences at UNLV.
And with the drought and all the water issues, its exposed now and probably will be for the foreseeable future. Its really alarming from a water storage standpoint, but from a land habitat standpoint, Im thrilled. Nothing can be better for wildlife and the native ecosystem than having this happen.
Under Abellas direction, Rader and Sam led the effort to establish native plants for wildlife habitat and watershed protection on the now-exposed shoreline. Their 4-acre classroom represented a tiny corner of the exposed 60,000 acres equal to the size of Denver, according to Abella but the experience will likely yield sizeable benefits for years to come.
Birds, amphibians and reptiles, hopefully all kinds of stuff will show up to the new habitat, Abella said.
The planting party was a collaborative effort between the National Park Service, the Nevada Naturalist adult environmental education program and the California Fire Science Consortium.
You can take something that would seem negative, the receding level of Lake Mead, and make it positive, Rader said. Create new wildlife habitat in this area that could otherwise be left barren.
Rader and Sam will continue to monitor the area throughout the spring to see which animals are using the area and to observe the survival of the plants.
Its important to get the community out and understanding why this kind of restoration is important to do so they can continue to do it here and other areas as well, Sam said.
Contact Natalie Bruzda at firstname.lastname@example.org or 702-477-3897. Follow @NatalieBruzda on Twitter.
View original post here:
Receding Lake Mead creates ideal classroom for UNLV biology ... - Las Vegas Review-Journal
- Google worker says women don't advance in tech because of biology - CBS News - August 11th, 2017
- FBI gets synthetic biology crash course at CSU - Source - June 9th, 2017
- These Are Actual Biology Courses Offered At Evergreen State College - The Daily Caller - June 6th, 2017
- Judge to Indiana same-sex couples: 'You can't overcome biology' - Indianapolis Star - May 23rd, 2017
- Synthetic biology cheat sheet: Key players, big debates and lingo you should know - Genetic Literacy Project - May 18th, 2017
- PSU grad blossoms in plant biology - Joplin Globe - May 14th, 2017
- NEET physics 'tough', some biology questions stump many - Times of India - May 8th, 2017
- Automating Biology Experiments With Legos - R & D Magazine - March 28th, 2017
- Evolutionary biology professor explains how to 'Walk the Tree of Life' - Science Daily - March 25th, 2017
- Biology Teacher Uses Science To Brilliantly Shut Down Transphobic Meme - A Plus - March 15th, 2017
- Biology professor is elected a fellow of the Animal Behavior Society - Nevada Today - March 12th, 2017
- Biology major Chiang, director of 'Smart People' at Long Wharf, won over by arts - New Haven Register - March 10th, 2017
- To make better computers, researchers turn to molecular biology - Christian Science Monitor - March 3rd, 2017
- Racists and Transgender Apologists Both Reject Basic Biology - American Thinker - February 28th, 2017
- Quantum Biology Wandering where the edge is - Institute for Ethics and Emerging Technologies - February 22nd, 2017
- How evolution alters biological invasions - Phys.org - Phys.Org - February 13th, 2017
- Missoula naturalist teaches wildlife biology to Colstrip kids with tech company's help - The Missoulian - February 10th, 2017
- Saudi Arabia funds new cancer biology professorship - GW Hatchet (subscription) - February 9th, 2017
- Humanpig embryo made - Nature.com - February 6th, 2017
- Introduction to Biology | Biology | MIT OpenCourseWare - October 2nd, 2016
- Department of Biology Biology - York College / The ... - September 20th, 2015
- Andaaz Web Exclusive: Andrew Hessel - Future of Biology - Video - March 10th, 2013
- What should be taught in the Biology Classroom (7) - Video - March 10th, 2013
- Biology Dictionary: Phenotype - Video - March 10th, 2013
- Girls Aloud Ten Tour - Biology - Video - March 10th, 2013
- A History of Ideas in Evolutionary Biology - Video - March 10th, 2013
- Me in biology being weird - Video - March 10th, 2013
- Girls Aloud Ten Tour 2013 - Biology - Video - March 10th, 2013
- CMU Biology Team Introduces New Screening Method To Detect Invasive Species - March 10th, 2013
- Biology students place top at Mammalogists meeting - March 8th, 2013
- UTSW molecular biologist Olson wins March of Dimes developmental biology prize - March 8th, 2013
- Windsor High School biology teacher Tammie Pennington nominated for prestigious award - March 7th, 2013
- BioBricks founder on his shift from computer science to synthetic biology - March 7th, 2013
- Biology Kidney Nephron project - Video - March 5th, 2013
- AP Biology Field Trip - Aquarium of the Pacific - Video - March 5th, 2013
- Dr. Justing Mager: Optimizing your personal system biology - Video - March 5th, 2013
- Exercise biology major could combine with NPB major - March 5th, 2013
- Lynn marine biology students get scuba lesson - March 5th, 2013
- [MV]Biology Music Video - Video - March 3rd, 2013
- Megan Jane Reid Biology Project - Video - March 3rd, 2013
- AP Biology Video Translation BISFA - Video - March 2nd, 2013
- Biology - Blood Pressure - Es Einsteinium - Video - March 2nd, 2013
- LSC-K Biology professor to develop electronic resources - March 2nd, 2013
- A Paradigm Shift from Biology to Energy - Video - February 28th, 2013
- Girls Aloud Ten Tour Live, Biology 27/2/13 Birmingham - Video - February 28th, 2013
- Tanya's and Monica's Biology Project - Video - February 28th, 2013
- Dancing Biology teacher after 'Harlem Shake' - Video - February 28th, 2013
- Study points to "shared biology" between 5 psychiatric disorders - February 28th, 2013
- Twins Biology - Video - February 26th, 2013
- Bully Scholarship Edition pt33 - Miracle on Bullworth St. pt3/Biology 1 - Video - February 26th, 2013
- Biology 1103 Group 45 PM - Video - February 26th, 2013
- Biology Animal Diversity Marsupials - Video - February 26th, 2013
- What we do in Biology class. - Video - February 26th, 2013
- Rutgers police on scene at campus biology lab filled with smoke - February 26th, 2013
- The DNA Family: IB Biology - Video - February 24th, 2013
- biology feast.mp4 - Video - February 23rd, 2013
- Marty Chang on Plant Biology - Video - February 23rd, 2013
- BIOLOGY CLASS - Half Life 2 - Episode 25 - Video - February 23rd, 2013
- hinterlandz 301 : inconsequential biology - Video - February 23rd, 2013
- Life and Biology : What Happens to a Stagnant Cell? : Here Comes the Boom - Video - February 23rd, 2013
- Barkai Lab for Systems Biology Retreat - Video - February 23rd, 2013
- Biology Gameshow 1 (Shaller) - Video - February 22nd, 2013
- Biology Gameshow 2 (Shaller) - Video - February 22nd, 2013
- biology undiscovered: episode 1 - ecological backlash - Video - February 22nd, 2013
- biology undiscovered: episode 2 - the body atlas - Video - February 22nd, 2013
- biology undiscovered: episode 4 - legos of life - Video - February 22nd, 2013
- biology undiscovered: episode 3 - plant life - Video - February 22nd, 2013
- Glencoe Software Announces Extensive Design, Usability and Data DOI Upgrades for The Journal of Cell Biology's JCB ... - February 22nd, 2013
- David Herring, JD — Law and Behavioral Biology Research: Kinship Foster Care as a Case Study - Video - February 21st, 2013
- UT Tyler Biology Department Faculty Awarded Nearly $70,000 to Study Endangered East Texas Species - February 21st, 2013
- Biology to leave Jefferson Scholars - February 21st, 2013
- Biology in Motion Apology - Video - February 19th, 2013
- A Lesson for Apple from High School Biology - February 19th, 2013
- The growing undercover effort to get God into biology class - February 19th, 2013
- Biology Banter - Video - February 18th, 2013
- Synthetic biology: Stanford, Cal engineering a new frontier - February 18th, 2013
- Biology a level revision-Understanding energy transfer - Video - February 17th, 2013
- The AP Biology Class (Brass Quintet) - Video - February 17th, 2013
- Joey Cool "Biology" - Video - February 17th, 2013
- Super Stupid Case Fanatic; 1x40 - Read a freaking biology book. - Video - February 17th, 2013