Teachers is rural elementary schools in Montana often dont have the time and resources to provide their students with specific, in-depth, scientific lessons on subjects like ecology and wildlife biology.
But thanks to the work of a technology company and a Missoula nonprofit, 42 fourth-graders at Pine Butte Elementary in Colstrip were immersed in an hour-long intellectual adventure on Thursday, discovering how animals adapt to a winter climate, even though the teacher was 465 miles away in Missoula.
The Montana Natural History Center in Missoula employs a naturalist, Amy Howie, as an Interactive Distance Education Coordinator to conduct virtual science classes for kids in Rapelje, Lincoln, Colstrip and Helmville.
Howie, who worked as a science teacher for many years, said the kids are exposed to a curriculum that they wouldnt otherwise get.
This is totally new to them, she said. They love it because its something new and even though this is new to them, they still know the tech part. So they interact very well.
The MNHC partnered with Vision Net, a technology company with offices in Great Falls, Missoula and Billings, to set up the video conferencing platform. Essentially, Howie stands in a green room complete with light boxes, cameras, microphones, speakers and a giant video screen to chat with the kids in real time about how animals like bobcats and snowshoe hares are able to travel quickly in deep snow.
She interacts with the kids, making sure she knows most of their names, and pauses often to take questions. Other lessons have been on seeds, flowers and animal skulls.
It does take some practice, because its like youre on camera, Howie said. Especially with our green screen, you have to know where youre pointing. But the kids love it. One of the teachers told me the kids feel like they are right there in the classroom.
Bruce Wallace, video conferencing systems manager for Vision Net, said the company built a statewide network in 1995 and now over 180 schools use it to take advantage of resources in other cities. Their system is also used by the legal community, medical institutions and private industry. The technology saves time and money because teachers dont have to spend hours driving to little schools all over the empty expanses of Montana.
We try to provide the best technology that we can so that its as close to being there as it can get, Wallace said.
Thurston Elfstrom, the executive director of the MNHC, said this year is a pilot program for the classes. The schools get a great deal, because they are only charged about $245 for a once-a-month class for the entire school year, which includes a bin full of materials.
The MNHC is a nonprofit on Hickory Street in Missoula that provides nature education programming for people of all ages. Elfstrom said the program relies on fundraisers and donors. One private donor has been helping with most of the distance learning so far.
Our goal is to get 20 more classrooms next year, Howie said. We need to start training some other people. The great thing is its so flexible. You can schedule these schools and you dont have to travel anywhere.
Elfstrom said the technology allows the MNHC to extend its reach much farther than they could if they had to teach in person. Thats good news for kids, who are learning about the world around them in new ways.
Those teachers in rural schools have a general education, so I think a lot of them are looking to add more science, because thats not their specialty, Howie said. Especially in rural schools, they need help with adding science into the curriculum. And now we are aligning our curriculum to the Next Generation Science Standards, so the teachers love that.
- Google worker says women don't advance in tech because of biology - CBS News - August 11th, 2017
- FBI gets synthetic biology crash course at CSU - Source - June 9th, 2017
- These Are Actual Biology Courses Offered At Evergreen State College - The Daily Caller - June 6th, 2017
- Judge to Indiana same-sex couples: 'You can't overcome biology' - Indianapolis Star - May 23rd, 2017
- Synthetic biology cheat sheet: Key players, big debates and lingo you should know - Genetic Literacy Project - May 18th, 2017
- PSU grad blossoms in plant biology - Joplin Globe - May 14th, 2017
- NEET physics 'tough', some biology questions stump many - Times of India - May 8th, 2017
- Automating Biology Experiments With Legos - R & D Magazine - March 28th, 2017
- Evolutionary biology professor explains how to 'Walk the Tree of Life' - Science Daily - March 25th, 2017
- Biology Teacher Uses Science To Brilliantly Shut Down Transphobic Meme - A Plus - March 15th, 2017
- Biology professor is elected a fellow of the Animal Behavior Society - Nevada Today - March 12th, 2017
- Biology major Chiang, director of 'Smart People' at Long Wharf, won over by arts - New Haven Register - March 10th, 2017
- To make better computers, researchers turn to molecular biology - Christian Science Monitor - March 3rd, 2017
- Racists and Transgender Apologists Both Reject Basic Biology - American Thinker - February 28th, 2017
- Quantum Biology Wandering where the edge is - Institute for Ethics and Emerging Technologies - February 22nd, 2017
- How evolution alters biological invasions - Phys.org - Phys.Org - February 13th, 2017
- Saudi Arabia funds new cancer biology professorship - GW Hatchet (subscription) - February 9th, 2017
- Receding Lake Mead creates ideal classroom for UNLV biology ... - Las Vegas Review-Journal - February 6th, 2017
- Humanpig embryo made - Nature.com - February 6th, 2017
- Introduction to Biology | Biology | MIT OpenCourseWare - October 2nd, 2016
- Department of Biology Biology - York College / The ... - September 20th, 2015
- Andaaz Web Exclusive: Andrew Hessel - Future of Biology - Video - March 10th, 2013
- What should be taught in the Biology Classroom (7) - Video - March 10th, 2013
- Biology Dictionary: Phenotype - Video - March 10th, 2013
- Girls Aloud Ten Tour - Biology - Video - March 10th, 2013
- A History of Ideas in Evolutionary Biology - Video - March 10th, 2013
- Me in biology being weird - Video - March 10th, 2013
- Girls Aloud Ten Tour 2013 - Biology - Video - March 10th, 2013
- CMU Biology Team Introduces New Screening Method To Detect Invasive Species - March 10th, 2013
- Biology students place top at Mammalogists meeting - March 8th, 2013
- UTSW molecular biologist Olson wins March of Dimes developmental biology prize - March 8th, 2013
- Windsor High School biology teacher Tammie Pennington nominated for prestigious award - March 7th, 2013
- BioBricks founder on his shift from computer science to synthetic biology - March 7th, 2013
- Biology Kidney Nephron project - Video - March 5th, 2013
- AP Biology Field Trip - Aquarium of the Pacific - Video - March 5th, 2013
- Dr. Justing Mager: Optimizing your personal system biology - Video - March 5th, 2013
- Exercise biology major could combine with NPB major - March 5th, 2013
- Lynn marine biology students get scuba lesson - March 5th, 2013
- [MV]Biology Music Video - Video - March 3rd, 2013
- Megan Jane Reid Biology Project - Video - March 3rd, 2013
- AP Biology Video Translation BISFA - Video - March 2nd, 2013
- Biology - Blood Pressure - Es Einsteinium - Video - March 2nd, 2013
- LSC-K Biology professor to develop electronic resources - March 2nd, 2013
- A Paradigm Shift from Biology to Energy - Video - February 28th, 2013
- Girls Aloud Ten Tour Live, Biology 27/2/13 Birmingham - Video - February 28th, 2013
- Tanya's and Monica's Biology Project - Video - February 28th, 2013
- Dancing Biology teacher after 'Harlem Shake' - Video - February 28th, 2013
- Study points to "shared biology" between 5 psychiatric disorders - February 28th, 2013
- Twins Biology - Video - February 26th, 2013
- Bully Scholarship Edition pt33 - Miracle on Bullworth St. pt3/Biology 1 - Video - February 26th, 2013
- Biology 1103 Group 45 PM - Video - February 26th, 2013
- Biology Animal Diversity Marsupials - Video - February 26th, 2013
- What we do in Biology class. - Video - February 26th, 2013
- Rutgers police on scene at campus biology lab filled with smoke - February 26th, 2013
- The DNA Family: IB Biology - Video - February 24th, 2013
- biology feast.mp4 - Video - February 23rd, 2013
- Marty Chang on Plant Biology - Video - February 23rd, 2013
- BIOLOGY CLASS - Half Life 2 - Episode 25 - Video - February 23rd, 2013
- hinterlandz 301 : inconsequential biology - Video - February 23rd, 2013
- Life and Biology : What Happens to a Stagnant Cell? : Here Comes the Boom - Video - February 23rd, 2013
- Barkai Lab for Systems Biology Retreat - Video - February 23rd, 2013
- Biology Gameshow 1 (Shaller) - Video - February 22nd, 2013
- Biology Gameshow 2 (Shaller) - Video - February 22nd, 2013
- biology undiscovered: episode 1 - ecological backlash - Video - February 22nd, 2013
- biology undiscovered: episode 2 - the body atlas - Video - February 22nd, 2013
- biology undiscovered: episode 4 - legos of life - Video - February 22nd, 2013
- biology undiscovered: episode 3 - plant life - Video - February 22nd, 2013
- Glencoe Software Announces Extensive Design, Usability and Data DOI Upgrades for The Journal of Cell Biology's JCB ... - February 22nd, 2013
- David Herring, JD — Law and Behavioral Biology Research: Kinship Foster Care as a Case Study - Video - February 21st, 2013
- UT Tyler Biology Department Faculty Awarded Nearly $70,000 to Study Endangered East Texas Species - February 21st, 2013
- Biology to leave Jefferson Scholars - February 21st, 2013
- Biology in Motion Apology - Video - February 19th, 2013
- A Lesson for Apple from High School Biology - February 19th, 2013
- The growing undercover effort to get God into biology class - February 19th, 2013
- Biology Banter - Video - February 18th, 2013
- Synthetic biology: Stanford, Cal engineering a new frontier - February 18th, 2013
- Biology a level revision-Understanding energy transfer - Video - February 17th, 2013
- The AP Biology Class (Brass Quintet) - Video - February 17th, 2013
- Joey Cool "Biology" - Video - February 17th, 2013
- Super Stupid Case Fanatic; 1x40 - Read a freaking biology book. - Video - February 17th, 2013