Last Updated Aug 7, 2017 7:51 PM EDT
LONDON -- Silicon Valley faces another tempest over the status of women in the work place, this time at Google (GOOG).
The search giant's new head of diversity has rejected an internal commentary from an employee who suggested women don't get ahead in tech jobs because of biological differences.
Danielle Brown, who was named a vice president at the search giant only a few weeks ago, said Google is "unequivocal in our belief that diversity and inclusion are critical to our success," according to a copy of her response obtained by technology news website Gizmodo.
The employee memo, titled "Google's Ideological Echo Chamber," begins by saying that only honest discussion will address a lack of equity.
But it also asserts that women "prefer jobs in social and artistic areas" while more men "may like coding because it requires systemizing," fueling a smoldering debate about sexism in Silicon Valley.
"I'm simply stating that the distribution of preferences and abilities of men and women differ in part due to biological causes and that these differences may explain why we don't see equal representation of women in tech and leadership," the memo stated, according to Gizmodo. "Many of these differences are small and there's significant overlap between men and women, so you can't say anything about an individual given these population level distributions."
The employee was described in news reports as a software engineer. The employee's identity has not been released.
Google, like other tech companies, has far fewer women than men in technology and leadership positions. Fifty-six percent of its workers are white and 35 percent are Asian, while Hispanic and Black employees make up 4 percent and 2 percent of its workforce, respectively, according to the company's latest diversity report.
While the issue of diversity is getting a lot of attention in Silicon Valley, these numbers are barely changing. But the companies say they are trying, by reaching out to and interviewing a broader range of job candidates, by offering coding classes, internships and mentorship programs and by holding mandatory "unconscious bias" training sessions for existing employees.
But, as the employee memo shows, not everyone at Google is happy with this.
The issue of gender has long roiled California's technology sector. Earlier this year, the U.S. Department of Labor accused Google of underpaying female employees, saying it found "systemic compensation disparities against women" at the company.
In another controversy, a former female engineer's claims of widespread sexual harassment at Uber in June led the ride-hailing firm to fire more than 20 employees.
In another incident, venture investor Dave McClure was forced to publicly apologize for making "inappropriate advances" toward several women in workplace situations.
2017 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Continue reading here:
Google worker says women don't advance in tech because of biology - CBS News
- FBI gets synthetic biology crash course at CSU - Source - June 9th, 2017
- These Are Actual Biology Courses Offered At Evergreen State College - The Daily Caller - June 6th, 2017
- Judge to Indiana same-sex couples: 'You can't overcome biology' - Indianapolis Star - May 23rd, 2017
- Synthetic biology cheat sheet: Key players, big debates and lingo you should know - Genetic Literacy Project - May 18th, 2017
- PSU grad blossoms in plant biology - Joplin Globe - May 14th, 2017
- NEET physics 'tough', some biology questions stump many - Times of India - May 8th, 2017
- Automating Biology Experiments With Legos - R & D Magazine - March 28th, 2017
- Evolutionary biology professor explains how to 'Walk the Tree of Life' - Science Daily - March 25th, 2017
- Biology Teacher Uses Science To Brilliantly Shut Down Transphobic Meme - A Plus - March 15th, 2017
- Biology professor is elected a fellow of the Animal Behavior Society - Nevada Today - March 12th, 2017
- Biology major Chiang, director of 'Smart People' at Long Wharf, won over by arts - New Haven Register - March 10th, 2017
- To make better computers, researchers turn to molecular biology - Christian Science Monitor - March 3rd, 2017
- Racists and Transgender Apologists Both Reject Basic Biology - American Thinker - February 28th, 2017
- Quantum Biology Wandering where the edge is - Institute for Ethics and Emerging Technologies - February 22nd, 2017
- How evolution alters biological invasions - Phys.org - Phys.Org - February 13th, 2017
- Missoula naturalist teaches wildlife biology to Colstrip kids with tech company's help - The Missoulian - February 10th, 2017
- Saudi Arabia funds new cancer biology professorship - GW Hatchet (subscription) - February 9th, 2017
- Receding Lake Mead creates ideal classroom for UNLV biology ... - Las Vegas Review-Journal - February 6th, 2017
- Humanpig embryo made - Nature.com - February 6th, 2017
- Introduction to Biology | Biology | MIT OpenCourseWare - October 2nd, 2016
- Department of Biology Biology - York College / The ... - September 20th, 2015
- Andaaz Web Exclusive: Andrew Hessel - Future of Biology - Video - March 10th, 2013
- What should be taught in the Biology Classroom (7) - Video - March 10th, 2013
- Biology Dictionary: Phenotype - Video - March 10th, 2013
- Girls Aloud Ten Tour - Biology - Video - March 10th, 2013
- A History of Ideas in Evolutionary Biology - Video - March 10th, 2013
- Me in biology being weird - Video - March 10th, 2013
- Girls Aloud Ten Tour 2013 - Biology - Video - March 10th, 2013
- CMU Biology Team Introduces New Screening Method To Detect Invasive Species - March 10th, 2013
- Biology students place top at Mammalogists meeting - March 8th, 2013
- UTSW molecular biologist Olson wins March of Dimes developmental biology prize - March 8th, 2013
- Windsor High School biology teacher Tammie Pennington nominated for prestigious award - March 7th, 2013
- BioBricks founder on his shift from computer science to synthetic biology - March 7th, 2013
- Biology Kidney Nephron project - Video - March 5th, 2013
- AP Biology Field Trip - Aquarium of the Pacific - Video - March 5th, 2013
- Dr. Justing Mager: Optimizing your personal system biology - Video - March 5th, 2013
- Exercise biology major could combine with NPB major - March 5th, 2013
- Lynn marine biology students get scuba lesson - March 5th, 2013
- [MV]Biology Music Video - Video - March 3rd, 2013
- Megan Jane Reid Biology Project - Video - March 3rd, 2013
- AP Biology Video Translation BISFA - Video - March 2nd, 2013
- Biology - Blood Pressure - Es Einsteinium - Video - March 2nd, 2013
- LSC-K Biology professor to develop electronic resources - March 2nd, 2013
- A Paradigm Shift from Biology to Energy - Video - February 28th, 2013
- Girls Aloud Ten Tour Live, Biology 27/2/13 Birmingham - Video - February 28th, 2013
- Tanya's and Monica's Biology Project - Video - February 28th, 2013
- Dancing Biology teacher after 'Harlem Shake' - Video - February 28th, 2013
- Study points to "shared biology" between 5 psychiatric disorders - February 28th, 2013
- Twins Biology - Video - February 26th, 2013
- Bully Scholarship Edition pt33 - Miracle on Bullworth St. pt3/Biology 1 - Video - February 26th, 2013
- Biology 1103 Group 45 PM - Video - February 26th, 2013
- Biology Animal Diversity Marsupials - Video - February 26th, 2013
- What we do in Biology class. - Video - February 26th, 2013
- Rutgers police on scene at campus biology lab filled with smoke - February 26th, 2013
- The DNA Family: IB Biology - Video - February 24th, 2013
- biology feast.mp4 - Video - February 23rd, 2013
- Marty Chang on Plant Biology - Video - February 23rd, 2013
- BIOLOGY CLASS - Half Life 2 - Episode 25 - Video - February 23rd, 2013
- hinterlandz 301 : inconsequential biology - Video - February 23rd, 2013
- Life and Biology : What Happens to a Stagnant Cell? : Here Comes the Boom - Video - February 23rd, 2013
- Barkai Lab for Systems Biology Retreat - Video - February 23rd, 2013
- Biology Gameshow 1 (Shaller) - Video - February 22nd, 2013
- Biology Gameshow 2 (Shaller) - Video - February 22nd, 2013
- biology undiscovered: episode 1 - ecological backlash - Video - February 22nd, 2013
- biology undiscovered: episode 2 - the body atlas - Video - February 22nd, 2013
- biology undiscovered: episode 4 - legos of life - Video - February 22nd, 2013
- biology undiscovered: episode 3 - plant life - Video - February 22nd, 2013
- Glencoe Software Announces Extensive Design, Usability and Data DOI Upgrades for The Journal of Cell Biology's JCB ... - February 22nd, 2013
- David Herring, JD — Law and Behavioral Biology Research: Kinship Foster Care as a Case Study - Video - February 21st, 2013
- UT Tyler Biology Department Faculty Awarded Nearly $70,000 to Study Endangered East Texas Species - February 21st, 2013
- Biology to leave Jefferson Scholars - February 21st, 2013
- Biology in Motion Apology - Video - February 19th, 2013
- A Lesson for Apple from High School Biology - February 19th, 2013
- The growing undercover effort to get God into biology class - February 19th, 2013
- Biology Banter - Video - February 18th, 2013
- Synthetic biology: Stanford, Cal engineering a new frontier - February 18th, 2013
- Biology a level revision-Understanding energy transfer - Video - February 17th, 2013
- The AP Biology Class (Brass Quintet) - Video - February 17th, 2013
- Joey Cool "Biology" - Video - February 17th, 2013
- Super Stupid Case Fanatic; 1x40 - Read a freaking biology book. - Video - February 17th, 2013