Pop quiz: Are crocodiles more closely related to lizards or to birds? The answer may surprise you. Although traditional taxonomy classifies birds separately, they are actually closely related to crocodilians, sharing such groupwide characteristics as nest construction, parental care, a four-chambered heart and acoustic communication.
Traditional taxonomy "is an exercise in memorization, and we don't want to use brain cells on labels," said Harry Greene, professor of ecology and evolutionary biology and Stephen H. Weiss Presidential Fellow. The traditional system, invented in 1758 by Linnaeus, uses a hierarchical system of kingdoms, phyla, class, order, family, genus and species to make sense of biodiversity. But with the millions of new species identified since the 18th century, the system has become unwieldy and often is misleading, as the crocodile-lizard-bird example shows.
Instead, Greene uses the 35-year-old evolutionary Tree of Life (TOL) classification system, which explains the diversity of life by matching and mapping relationships on a branching diagram or "tree." The tree shows the inferred evolutionary relationships, based on physical or genetic characteristics; those named on each "branch," the taxa, are believed to be descended from a common ancestor.
Greene and Cissy Ballen of the University of Minnesota have just published a paper in PLOS Biology, "Walking and Talking the Tree of Life: Why and How to Teach About Biodiversity," discussing why the evolutionary TOL approach to biodiversity is best, to what extent the traditional taxonomy is still used and how to teach TOL using an active learning approach.
The researchers said they were unsurprised to find the vast majority of university and high school level biology textbooks still present the traditional taxonomy (although the newest textbooks often describe at least some of the TOL system as well). Greene frequently fields requests for guidance on how to teach the TOL and where to find resources about it; such requests motivated him and Ballen to write their paper.
Greene has spent decades refining his approach to teaching the TOL, which he calls "walking and talking the Tree of Life." He uses about 145 names on the TOL as references to illustrate relationships across branch tips and the "nodes" that unite them, each name chosen carefully to aid in understanding and memory. One such aid, for the benefit of pre-med students, is a skull and crossbones symbol at the branch tip of each taxon that includes at least one human pathogen.
At Cornell, the TOL is taught as part of the Evolution and Biodiversity course in the Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology. Through the College of Arts and Sciences' Active Learning Initiative, Ballen was hired as a postdoctoral associate to help transition the course from a standard passive lecture format into an active learning structure, emphasizing collaborative in-class group work and discussion.
In the revised class format, students are given pre-lecture assignments that include video podcasts ("vodcasts") and textbook readings; class time is spent reinforcing this material through active learning exercises and class discussions. Other changes made to the course include pre-class quizzes, which serve as low-risk assessments of how well the students have absorbed the pre-lecture assignments; the use of i-Clickers in class; and a random-number generator that calls on different groups in the class to answer questions to encourage student engagement.
"Because of the open-mindedness and progressive thinking about teaching from the EEB faculty, they were open to everything," said Ballen.
Greene admits he was a skeptic at first. Although he was a big fan of i-Clickers, which he'd been using for years, flipping the class felt "faddish" to him.
"Field teaching is the original active learning," he said. "If you want to see students light up, get them muddy and put a salamander in their hand."
But after seeing the improvement in test scores with active learning, especially among underrepresented minorities, sitting in on the lectures and participating as a teacher, Greene is a convert: "I would never want to go back to traditional lectures."
Ballen agrees. In the active learning format, she explained, students are much more energized and responsive. "They stay alert and engaged. They talk more and there's a lot more laughter."
Go here to read the rest:
Evolutionary biology professor explains how to 'Walk the Tree of Life' - Science Daily
- Google worker says women don't advance in tech because of biology - CBS News - August 11th, 2017
- FBI gets synthetic biology crash course at CSU - Source - June 9th, 2017
- These Are Actual Biology Courses Offered At Evergreen State College - The Daily Caller - June 6th, 2017
- Judge to Indiana same-sex couples: 'You can't overcome biology' - Indianapolis Star - May 23rd, 2017
- Synthetic biology cheat sheet: Key players, big debates and lingo you should know - Genetic Literacy Project - May 18th, 2017
- PSU grad blossoms in plant biology - Joplin Globe - May 14th, 2017
- NEET physics 'tough', some biology questions stump many - Times of India - May 8th, 2017
- Automating Biology Experiments With Legos - R & D Magazine - March 28th, 2017
- Biology Teacher Uses Science To Brilliantly Shut Down Transphobic Meme - A Plus - March 15th, 2017
- Biology professor is elected a fellow of the Animal Behavior Society - Nevada Today - March 12th, 2017
- Biology major Chiang, director of 'Smart People' at Long Wharf, won over by arts - New Haven Register - March 10th, 2017
- To make better computers, researchers turn to molecular biology - Christian Science Monitor - March 3rd, 2017
- Racists and Transgender Apologists Both Reject Basic Biology - American Thinker - February 28th, 2017
- Quantum Biology Wandering where the edge is - Institute for Ethics and Emerging Technologies - February 22nd, 2017
- How evolution alters biological invasions - Phys.org - Phys.Org - February 13th, 2017
- Missoula naturalist teaches wildlife biology to Colstrip kids with tech company's help - The Missoulian - February 10th, 2017
- Saudi Arabia funds new cancer biology professorship - GW Hatchet (subscription) - February 9th, 2017
- Receding Lake Mead creates ideal classroom for UNLV biology ... - Las Vegas Review-Journal - February 6th, 2017
- Humanpig embryo made - Nature.com - February 6th, 2017
- Introduction to Biology | Biology | MIT OpenCourseWare - October 2nd, 2016
- Department of Biology Biology - York College / The ... - September 20th, 2015
- Andaaz Web Exclusive: Andrew Hessel - Future of Biology - Video - March 10th, 2013
- What should be taught in the Biology Classroom (7) - Video - March 10th, 2013
- Biology Dictionary: Phenotype - Video - March 10th, 2013
- Girls Aloud Ten Tour - Biology - Video - March 10th, 2013
- A History of Ideas in Evolutionary Biology - Video - March 10th, 2013
- Me in biology being weird - Video - March 10th, 2013
- Girls Aloud Ten Tour 2013 - Biology - Video - March 10th, 2013
- CMU Biology Team Introduces New Screening Method To Detect Invasive Species - March 10th, 2013
- Biology students place top at Mammalogists meeting - March 8th, 2013
- UTSW molecular biologist Olson wins March of Dimes developmental biology prize - March 8th, 2013
- Windsor High School biology teacher Tammie Pennington nominated for prestigious award - March 7th, 2013
- BioBricks founder on his shift from computer science to synthetic biology - March 7th, 2013
- Biology Kidney Nephron project - Video - March 5th, 2013
- AP Biology Field Trip - Aquarium of the Pacific - Video - March 5th, 2013
- Dr. Justing Mager: Optimizing your personal system biology - Video - March 5th, 2013
- Exercise biology major could combine with NPB major - March 5th, 2013
- Lynn marine biology students get scuba lesson - March 5th, 2013
- [MV]Biology Music Video - Video - March 3rd, 2013
- Megan Jane Reid Biology Project - Video - March 3rd, 2013
- AP Biology Video Translation BISFA - Video - March 2nd, 2013
- Biology - Blood Pressure - Es Einsteinium - Video - March 2nd, 2013
- LSC-K Biology professor to develop electronic resources - March 2nd, 2013
- A Paradigm Shift from Biology to Energy - Video - February 28th, 2013
- Girls Aloud Ten Tour Live, Biology 27/2/13 Birmingham - Video - February 28th, 2013
- Tanya's and Monica's Biology Project - Video - February 28th, 2013
- Dancing Biology teacher after 'Harlem Shake' - Video - February 28th, 2013
- Study points to "shared biology" between 5 psychiatric disorders - February 28th, 2013
- Twins Biology - Video - February 26th, 2013
- Bully Scholarship Edition pt33 - Miracle on Bullworth St. pt3/Biology 1 - Video - February 26th, 2013
- Biology 1103 Group 45 PM - Video - February 26th, 2013
- Biology Animal Diversity Marsupials - Video - February 26th, 2013
- What we do in Biology class. - Video - February 26th, 2013
- Rutgers police on scene at campus biology lab filled with smoke - February 26th, 2013
- The DNA Family: IB Biology - Video - February 24th, 2013
- biology feast.mp4 - Video - February 23rd, 2013
- Marty Chang on Plant Biology - Video - February 23rd, 2013
- BIOLOGY CLASS - Half Life 2 - Episode 25 - Video - February 23rd, 2013
- hinterlandz 301 : inconsequential biology - Video - February 23rd, 2013
- Life and Biology : What Happens to a Stagnant Cell? : Here Comes the Boom - Video - February 23rd, 2013
- Barkai Lab for Systems Biology Retreat - Video - February 23rd, 2013
- Biology Gameshow 1 (Shaller) - Video - February 22nd, 2013
- Biology Gameshow 2 (Shaller) - Video - February 22nd, 2013
- biology undiscovered: episode 1 - ecological backlash - Video - February 22nd, 2013
- biology undiscovered: episode 2 - the body atlas - Video - February 22nd, 2013
- biology undiscovered: episode 4 - legos of life - Video - February 22nd, 2013
- biology undiscovered: episode 3 - plant life - Video - February 22nd, 2013
- Glencoe Software Announces Extensive Design, Usability and Data DOI Upgrades for The Journal of Cell Biology's JCB ... - February 22nd, 2013
- David Herring, JD — Law and Behavioral Biology Research: Kinship Foster Care as a Case Study - Video - February 21st, 2013
- UT Tyler Biology Department Faculty Awarded Nearly $70,000 to Study Endangered East Texas Species - February 21st, 2013
- Biology to leave Jefferson Scholars - February 21st, 2013
- Biology in Motion Apology - Video - February 19th, 2013
- A Lesson for Apple from High School Biology - February 19th, 2013
- The growing undercover effort to get God into biology class - February 19th, 2013
- Biology Banter - Video - February 18th, 2013
- Synthetic biology: Stanford, Cal engineering a new frontier - February 18th, 2013
- Biology a level revision-Understanding energy transfer - Video - February 17th, 2013
- The AP Biology Class (Brass Quintet) - Video - February 17th, 2013
- Joey Cool "Biology" - Video - February 17th, 2013
- Super Stupid Case Fanatic; 1x40 - Read a freaking biology book. - Video - February 17th, 2013