INDIANAPOLIS (WTHR) - If you've had a hernia, you know they can be painful.
This month's Check Up 13 gives you a chance to have a free check with your doctor if you have or think you might have a hernia.
A hernia is a weak spot in the muscle or tissue. Doctors say patients tend to procrastinate getting a repair and don't realize hernias don't go away. Untreated, they can lead to complications.
"In general, as you get them to progress, they will progress to larger hernias which are more difficult to fix, which are more likely to have complications associated with it and are more likely to come back," said Ascension St. Vincent surgeon Dr. Paul Szotek.
Some people are born with hernias, others see them develop over time after surgery, pregnancy, overexertion or weight gain.
An overwhelming majority of hernia cases are in men like Ralph Hutcheson. He had his first hernia 20 years ago and said he learned an important lesson.
"Don't wait. It's never going to get better, it can only get worse," the 76-year-old said.
When his second hernia developed on the other side of his body, Hutcheson went to see the doctor right away. He knew that if he waited, the hernia could get bigger and cause complications.
His surgeon used the newer robotic surgery for his repair. He was amazed at the improved recovery time.
"Seven days out, feeling good," he said.
If you are 18 or older and you'd like to talk with medical staff about your hernia concerns, you can do so, free of charge, courtesy of Check Up 13 and Ascension St. Vincent.
Register by calling the hotline (866-824-3251) today, or registering online at WTHR.com through midnight tonight.
- April 2, 2020 Ascension adds drive-through testing sites - Starjournalnow - April 3rd, 2020
- Wisconsin health care workers worry limited access to paid leave will allow COVID-19 to spread - WITI FOX 6 Milwaukee - April 3rd, 2020
- Ascension residents turn to social media in time of social distancing - Weekly Citizen - April 3rd, 2020
- COVID-19 "Q and A" with Dr. Allison Bollinger who oversees 150 emergency departments in Middle Tennessee and beyond - Wgnsradio - April 3rd, 2020
- Ascension baseball team trying to make the best of downtime - Daily Advertiser - April 3rd, 2020
- Coronavirus survivors donating blood to help treat patients with COVID-19: 'We just hope it works,' doctor says - Tulsa World - April 3rd, 2020
- Ascension (TV Mini-Series 2014) - IMDb - March 25th, 2020
- Ascension | Definition of Ascension at Dictionary.com - March 25th, 2020
- Ascension-Wisconsin announces drive-thru Covid-19 testing sites - Merrillfotonews - March 25th, 2020
- Ascension and Bronson seeking medical supply donations - Midwest Communication - March 25th, 2020
- Drive-Thru Donation Site Launches At Ascension Health - CBS Detroit - March 25th, 2020
- Ascension Wisconsin to begin offering drive-through COVID-19 testing at six sites - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - March 25th, 2020
- Ascension temporarily stopping in-person visitation - WAOW - March 25th, 2020
- Deserted and desolate, Ascension residents heed stay-at-home order - WBRZ - March 25th, 2020
- Ascension Via Christi and Wamego Health Center welcome to supply donations - WIBW - March 25th, 2020
- Ascension sets up first COVID-19 drive-thru test sites - Journal Times - March 25th, 2020
- Ascension assessor closes offices, beefs up online presence - The Advocate - March 25th, 2020
- Hospital Related Policy Changes due to COVID-19 (Rutherford County and Ascension Saint Thomas Facilities) - Wgnsradio - March 25th, 2020
- Ascension to open drive-thru coronavirus testing sites for people with milder symptoms - WTMJ-TV - March 25th, 2020
- Ascension Lourdes and UHS Continue to stress virtual walk-ins for COVID-19 screenings - WIVT - NewsChannel 34 - March 25th, 2020
- Drive-Thru Donation Site Launches at Ascension Health Up News Info Detroit - Up News Info - March 25th, 2020
- Ascension, Assumption, St. James, and 23rd Judicial District Courts to function on limited schedule - WBRZ - March 25th, 2020
- One Medical and Ascension Texas to Collaborate - Patch.com - March 25th, 2020
- Ascension distillery uses alcohol to create sanitizer; giving it to those in need - WBRZ - March 25th, 2020
- Amid COVID-19 outbreak, Ascension Parish family holds birthday party for loved one in nursing home - WBRZ - March 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus handmade masks: What hospitals are accepting them? - Stevens Point Journal - March 25th, 2020
- Ascension Via Christi taking further steps to prevent COVID-19 - KFDI - March 16th, 2020
- St. Vincent Indianapolis to cancel all 'elective non-urgent' surgeries - WTHR - March 16th, 2020
- Ascension car wash burglar who cut through roofs, cracked open cash boxes gets 8 years - The Advocate - March 16th, 2020
- Wagoner native appointed to new role with Ascension Medical Group - Tulsa World - March 16th, 2020
- Sportsman, rodeo events go forward in Ascension; Baton Rouge theater canceled amid coronavirus fears - The Advocate - March 16th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Mayo Clinic and St. Vincents confirm treating positive COVID-19 cases - The Florida Times-Union - March 16th, 2020
- You think you got coronavirus: Whats it take to get tested in Austin? - austin360 - March 16th, 2020
- US senators question Ascension on its Google collaboration Project Nightingale - MobiHealthNews - March 9th, 2020
- YOUR Verdict on "Ascension of the Cybermen" An Upgrade - Doctor Who TV - March 9th, 2020
- WWE Released The Ascension Very Close To Contract Expiration - Ringside News - March 9th, 2020
- Floodplain manager is February employee of the month in Ascension Parish - The Advocate - March 9th, 2020
- Church of the Ascension to be restored on 50th birthday - Warrington Guardian - March 9th, 2020
- 'Doctor Who': Questions We Have About The Season 12 Finale - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - March 9th, 2020
- Doctor Who recap: series 38, episode nine Ascension of the Cybermen - The Guardian - February 24th, 2020
- 2 Altcoins Expected to Maintain Strong Ascension in 2020 - Somag News - February 24th, 2020
- Doctor Who releases first look at Ascension of the Cybermen - Winter is Coming - February 24th, 2020
- "Doctor Who" Series 12 "Ascension of the Cybermen" Preview Images - Bleeding Cool News - February 24th, 2020
- There Is Hope | Peer Recovery Coaches At Saint Agnes Help Addicts Find Road To Recovery - CBS Baltimore - February 24th, 2020
- Ascension Community Theatre opens second weekend of 'The Importance of Being Earnest' on Feb. 20 - The Advocate - February 24th, 2020
- The Ascension First Indie Booking on Thursday with Outlaw Wrestling - - Last Word on Pro Wrestling - February 24th, 2020
- Physician Who, Ascension of the Cybermen: The top is the start is the top - BingePost - February 24th, 2020
- Ascension school officials ready information campaign for voters before May 9 bond election - The Advocate - February 24th, 2020
- What will UAB-Ascension alliance mean? - AL.com - January 30th, 2020
- Whats So Great About the Ascension - RELEVANT Magazine - January 30th, 2020
- Ascension Parish Sheriff's Office is accepting scholarship applications - The Advocate - January 30th, 2020
- Suspected gas leak at East Ascension High School forces evacuation - The Advocate - January 30th, 2020
- Annual Ascension festival offers health information, tests with healthy dose of fun - The Advocate - January 30th, 2020
- Two announced leases in Tulsa involve Ascension St. John - Tulsa World - January 30th, 2020
- East Ascension girls grab early lead, remain consistent in win over McKinley - The Advocate - January 30th, 2020
- Ascension Council takes another pause to vet, negotiate major sewer deal - The Advocate - January 30th, 2020
- Owner - Saving life in the ocean - Superyacht News - The Superyacht Report - January 30th, 2020
- More railroad and highway closures in Ascension Parish Friday - WBRZ - January 28th, 2020
- Second half surge lifts Ascension Catholic over St. John - Weekly Citizen - January 28th, 2020
- School in Ascension Parish closed on Tuesday out of an abundance of caution - BRProud.com - January 28th, 2020
- Ascension Episcopal's Matt Remondet named Male Athlete of the Week - Daily Advertiser - January 28th, 2020
- Going to church fills an empty place in our hearts - Times Record News - January 28th, 2020
- Professionals share a roundup of what they expect to be 2020's top health trends - The Oakland Press - January 28th, 2020
- Fluor wins contract to repair Ascension Island Auxiliary Airfield runway - Airforce Technology - January 28th, 2020
- Tapeworm removed from Texas mans brain after months of headaches - Q13 News Seattle - January 28th, 2020
- Lockdown lifted at Ascension St. John Hospital in Detroit after threats - Detroit Free Press - January 5th, 2020
- Bernhard Capital investing in Ascension sewer company - Greater Baton Rouge Business Report - January 5th, 2020
- BUSINESS BEAT: Chamber and Ascension Michigan hosting wellness workshop - WTVB News - January 5th, 2020
- Whatll Happen In The Next Decade? Here Are 9 Predictions For The 2020s - Forbes - January 5th, 2020
- Greenfield Barnes & Noble To Close, Health Center To Move In - Greenfield, WI Patch - January 5th, 2020
- A woman in Indiana has done something almost unheard of she has given birth to twins born in different decades. - WCJB - January 5th, 2020
- DA: Judge recused herself due to relationship with Assumption chief deputy; judge disputes claim - The Advocate - January 5th, 2020
- Oshkosh area's first baby of 2020 born at 1:42 a.m. in Ascension Mercy Hospital - Oshkosh Northwestern - January 5th, 2020
- Vote on Ascension Sewer deal back on for Friday night but suit to block vote pending - The Advocate - December 23rd, 2019
- Trust issues plague the relationship between Ascension St. Joe's and the community it serves - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - December 23rd, 2019
- Tech and health care need their own 'Hippocratic oath' - STAT - STAT - December 23rd, 2019
- Big plays by White Castle's Javier Batiste, Ascension Catholic's Jai Williams help Eagles win Red Stick Bowl - The Advocate - December 23rd, 2019
- Why Bobby Webre is eyeing expansion of female dorm at Ascension jail - The Advocate - December 23rd, 2019
- Ascension Fund announces board of directors, officers - The Advocate - December 23rd, 2019
- Jets vs. Steelers: Le'Veon Bell's chance at revenge, Steelers defensive ascension among things to know - Jets Wire - December 23rd, 2019