A very strange thing has happened since last weekends dreadful violence in Charlottesville. White supremacists used virtually every form of weapon except guns, yet somehow the Second Amendment is now under fire. Even worse, those who lawfully exercise the right to keep and bear arms now have fewer defenders when they also choose to speak.
It started with Virginia governor Terry McAuliffe. In remarks that were oddly enough edited out of a New York Times article, McAuliffe claimed that 80 percent of the people here had semiautomatic weapons. He further asserted that militia members had better equipment than our state police. He also said that white supremacists had weapons stashed around the city.
The Virginia state police disputed the governors claims, stating that theyd specifically looked for weapons stashes and no weapons were located. Further, they assured the public that they were not outgunned by militias. A spokesperson said the police were equipped with more-than-adequate specialized tactical and protective gear for the purpose of fulfilling their duties to protect the people present at the protests.
No matter. Claims that gun-toting militia members had somehow chilled free speech rocketed around the Web. Yet who, exactly, was deterred from speaking last weekend? Not only were people speaking, they were shrieking, chanting, yelling, and arguing. Few were deterred even from brawling.
Then, yesterday, a more significant shoe dropped. The Wall Street Journal reported that the American Civil Liberties Union will no longer defend hate groups seeking to march with firearms. In other words, the groups anti-gun stance is now directly influencing its First Amendment advocacy. Its executive director, Anthony Romero, told the Journal that the decision was in keeping with a 2015 policy adopted by the ACLUs national board in support of reasonable firearm regulation.
For all its flaws and inconsistencies in other areas, the ACLU had been one of the last well-resourced national legal organizations that were truly non-partisan in defending First Amendment freedoms such as the right to march and speak in Charlottesville. Indeed, a local ACLU chapter had defended the alt-rights liberties at that very protest. But now the ACLUs message was clear: lawfully exercise Second Amendment rights, and well turn our backs on your First Amendment freedoms.
The law already prohibits true threats, and there are an array of legal restrictions on the place and manner of bearing arms depending on the jurisdiction and location. Under existing precedent, groups that engage in threats or violate local firearms laws face severe legal consequences. The ACLUs position, however, is that it will not represent a category of organizations that are completely compliant with the applicable laws.
The ACLU is a private organization, and it has complete discretion to choose its clients, but its action reveals the extent to which arguments about civil liberties are becoming dangerously partisan and short-sighted. The ACLU has enjoyed an enormous surge in membership and donations since itpositioned itself as the law firm of the #Resistance, but a number of these new members are completely ignorant of the organizations traditional First Amendment work and were furious when they found out the ACLUs role in protecting the alt-rights constitutional rights.
Thus, yet another negative result of last weekends deadly violence is that both the First and Second Amendments are under increasing cultural pressure. Rather than focus on the actual violence that caused so much pain and harm last weekend, activists are renewing calls for so-called hate-speech restrictions, and theyre increasing demands for restrictions on the right to bear arms. The ACLU is a key pressure point. Rights that dont enjoy a robust defense are not rights at all. The Constitution is not a self-executing document.
At this point, the gun-rights debate is almost beyond the reach of facts. A weekend that was notable mainly for an act of vehicular terror has become a pretext for discouraging the exercise of Second Amendment rights. Sadly, our First Amendment debates are racing in the same direction. All too many Americans seek the power to suppress and shame more than they cultivate the ability to rebut and persuade. Alt-right drivel isnt a threat to the constitutional experiment. A culture that values censorship over debate, however, is.
And lest we think these categories are easy, and that its possible to suppress the rights of the worst people without touching the civil liberties of the mainstream, consider this. I used to work at an organization that the Southern Poverty Law Center considers a hate group, the Alliance Defending Freedom. Its deemed a hate group in large part because it holds to an orthodox Christian view of sexual morality and gender identity. I hold those same views. Im also a concealed-carry permit holder. My wife and I carry a weapon virtually all the time because of threats, ironically enough, from the alt-right. Should the ACLU defend my right to speak?
Sadly, there are many Americans who would say no. They hate my viewpoint too much. They hate guns too much. The allure of power and control is too strong. They see little value in dissent, especially on the most sensitive cultural issues, and they utterly reject the concept of an armed citizenry. Yet even terrible crimes shouldnt cause us to retreat from our commitments to liberty.
Our constitutional republic and our culture of free speech have endured and prospered in the worst of attacks, events far worse than even the dreadful crimes in Charlottesville. It suffers, however, in the face of cultural retreat and surrender. The alt-right is too pathetic to warrant the slightest compromise. Yet thats exactly what the ACLU did, and short-sighted Americans applauded.
The alt-right hates American traditions and American liberties. Why grant it the slightest influence over American life?
David French is a senior writer for National Review, a senior fellow at the National Review Institute, and an attorney.
Originally posted here:
- Breyer: Second Amendment Not About 'the Right of an Individual to Keep a Gun Next to His Bed' - PJ Media - August 25th, 2017
- 'Second Amendment' weekend in Mississippi - WTOK - August 25th, 2017
- LA Times: Restrict the Second Amendment at First Amendment ... - Hot Air - August 25th, 2017
- Mississippi celebrates 'Second Amendment Weekend' with no sales tax on guns, ammunition - WBRZ - August 25th, 2017
- D.C. attorney general wants federal judges to look at city's strict gun ... - Washington Post - August 25th, 2017
- Second Amendment legal definition of Second Amendment - August 24th, 2017
- Second Amendment | Wex Legal Dictionary / Encyclopedia ... - August 24th, 2017
- Breyer: Second Amendment Not About 'the Right of an Individual to Keep a Gun Next to His Bed' - PJ Media - August 24th, 2017
- LA Times: Restrict the Second Amendment at First Amendment rallies - Hot Air - August 24th, 2017
- After Charlottesville, the First and Second Amendments Are Under Fire - National Review - August 24th, 2017
- US Supreme Court Disappoints on Right-to-Carry, but Justice Gorsuch Shines - NRA ILA - August 24th, 2017
- Second Amendment legal definition of Second Amendment - August 21st, 2017
- Second Amendment Sisters: self defence is a basic human ... - August 21st, 2017
- After Charlottesville, the First and Second Amendments Are Under Fire - National Review - August 21st, 2017
- Charlottesville, militias and the Second Amendment - NY Daily News - New York Daily News - August 21st, 2017
- The Guns Won - Slate Magazine - August 21st, 2017
- Second Amendment | Wyoming County Free Press - Wyoming County Free Press - August 21st, 2017
- Bill Introduced in Congress that Would Ban NJ's Gun Control Laws - AmmoLand Shooting Sports News - August 21st, 2017
- The Lessons Of Charlottesville: Speech And Guns - HuffPost - August 21st, 2017
- ACLU Refuses to Defend Protesters Exercising First and Second Amendments Together - Breitbart News - August 19th, 2017
- Second Amendment | Wyoming County Free Press - Wyoming County Free Press - August 19th, 2017
- Armed private militias like Charlottesville's offend the Founding Fathers' intent: This is not what the Second ... - New York Daily News - August 18th, 2017
- Ban the Open Carry of Firearms - New York Times - August 18th, 2017
- Is There a Way to Prevent the Next Charlottesville? - Slate Magazine (blog) - August 18th, 2017
- Second Amendment to the United States Constitution - Simple ... - August 15th, 2017
- State faces lawsuit over guns in foster homes - WSYM-TV - August 15th, 2017
- The Guns Won - Slate Magazine - August 14th, 2017
- State faces lawsuit over guns in foster homes - WXYZ - August 14th, 2017
- Second Amendment Author and Attorney Documents Lethal Government Actions - AmmoLand Shooting Sports News - August 12th, 2017
- Collins: My bill would restore New Yorkers' 2nd Amendment rights - Lockport Union-Sun & Journal - August 12th, 2017
- Foster Families Torn Apart By Anti-Second Amendment Regulations - America's 1st Freedom (press release) (blog) - August 11th, 2017
- Shock: Gun Control Icon Defends Second Amendment Rights of Grandparents Targeted in Michigan - Breitbart News - August 9th, 2017
- Gun Control: How To Solve The Second Amendment - Mintpress News (blog) - August 9th, 2017
- 2nd Amendment Foundation Issues Travel Advisory: Your Gun ... - Breitbart News - August 9th, 2017
- Second Amendment insight - Winona Post - August 7th, 2017
- NRA-ILA | Second Amendment Guarantee Act Would Protect ... - NRA ILA - August 6th, 2017
- Smart guns and SAGA. The Second Amendment fight drags on - Hot Air - August 5th, 2017
- What happens when a Texas 2nd Amendment woman meets New York City? - SOFREP (press release) (subscription) - August 5th, 2017
- US Senate Candidate Pulls Out Gun at GOP Meeting to Prove He Is Pro-Second Amendment - Breitbart News - August 5th, 2017
- The Second Amendment Won in Washington; Why Won't the Supreme Court Enforce It? - Patriot Post - August 4th, 2017
- Historic Battle of Athens Shows Importance of Second Amendment - Newsmax - August 4th, 2017
- The Second Amendment has won (again) in Washington. So why ... - Fox News - August 3rd, 2017
- Collins proposes new measures for protecting Second Amendment rights - Wyoming County Free Press - August 3rd, 2017
- MMA Legend Royce Gracie On The Second Amendment - The Daily Caller - August 3rd, 2017
- Rep. Collins to introduce Second Amendment Guarantee Act - 13WHAM-TV - August 1st, 2017
- Indiana AG: Citizens Don't Forfeit 4th Amendment Rights When ... - 93.1 WIBC Indianapolis (blog) - August 1st, 2017
- MMA Legend Royce Gracie on the Second Amendment - Shooting Illustrated (press release) (blog) - August 1st, 2017
- Police Threaten Second Amendment, Raid Wrong Home, Shoot ... - National Review - July 31st, 2017
- NRA-ILA | Appeals Court Schools D.C. on Heller's Meaning ... - NRA ILA - July 29th, 2017
- Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution - Index Page - July 29th, 2017
- Open-Carry Swords: A Civilized Second Amendment Right - Above the Law - July 29th, 2017
- Second Amendment rights must be preserved - The Wilson Times (subscription) - July 29th, 2017
- Mo Brooks: 'Second Amendment' | Campaign 2018 - Washington Post - July 29th, 2017
- Circuit Court: 2nd Amendment Protects Right 'to Carry Firearms for Personal Self-Defense Beyond the Home' - Breitbart News - July 29th, 2017
- DC Circuit upholds right to bear arms for DC residents - Washington Post - July 27th, 2017
- Restrictive concealed carry law violates Second Amendment, DC Circuit rules - ABA Journal - July 26th, 2017
- AG Paxton Joins Others in Supreme Court Brief to Protect Second Amendment Rights - eParisExtra.com (blog) - July 26th, 2017
- NRA-ILA | Court Strikes Down Unconstitutional Ban on Concealed ... - NRA ILA - July 26th, 2017
- Brooks airs new ad touting Second Amendment support | Local ... - Times Daily - July 25th, 2017
- No, Gretchen Carlson didn't say 2nd Amendment written before guns invented - PolitiFact (blog) - July 25th, 2017
- Establishment Media Dumbfounded Rep. Mo Brooks Defends 2nd Amendment after Alexandria - Breitbart News - July 25th, 2017
- Second Amendment rights - The Constitution - July 24th, 2017
- Second Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikiquote - July 24th, 2017
- NRA-ILA | Supreme Court Asked to Review Maryland's Gun Ban - NRA ILA - July 22nd, 2017
- Girl with gun makes clear 2nd Amendment saves - Washington Times - July 21st, 2017
- Anti-Second Amendment Academics Shot Down in Texas Case - AmmoLand Shooting Sports News - July 21st, 2017
- Australians Sound Off on Second Amendment After Fatal Shooting - Townhall - July 20th, 2017
- Letter: Understanding the Second Amendment - Uinta County Herald - July 20th, 2017
- Medical Marijuana means Losing Your Second Amendment Rights - KNWA - July 20th, 2017
- Determining what the Second Amendment means for today - STLtoday.com - July 15th, 2017
- Bastille Day reminds us that our Second Amendment debates are distorted - Washington Post - July 15th, 2017
- What Senator Kid Rock Might Mean for the Second Amendment - Breitbart News - July 15th, 2017
- Independence Day and the Second Amendment - Newnan Times-Herald - July 15th, 2017
- Black gun owners ask: Does the Second Amendment apply to us ... - Christian Science Monitor - July 12th, 2017
- Are White Gun Owners Protecting the Second Amendment or Their Racial Interest? - Atlanta Black Star - July 10th, 2017
- In Case You Missed It: Austin Petersen, Second Amendment, CNN. - Being Libertarian - July 8th, 2017
- Sorry Gavin, Your Civilian Disarmament Agenda Does Not Trump the Second Amendment - AmmoLand Shooting Sports News - July 6th, 2017
- BRIEF-Cross Country Healthcare Inc enters into a second amendment to its credit agreement - Reuters - July 6th, 2017
- Learning about the 2nd Amendment - Keokuk Gate City Daily - July 5th, 2017
- Donadio speaks about Second Amendment rights - My Eastern Shore - July 5th, 2017