Iheard that what makes Chanukah different and special is that you get gifts foreight nights. Is that true? Am I really obligated to give a gift everynight?
Actually, there is no obligation to give giftsat all. The mitzvah of Chanukah is to light the menorah each night. We do thisto commemorate the miraculous victory of the Maccabees over the Greek-Syrianarmies, as well as celebrate the great miracle that Gd performed for the Jewswhen they rededicated the Holy Temple. There was only one flask of pure oliveoil to be found, and miraculously the oil burned for eight days. Click here tolearn how to light the menorah.
But yes, in additionto the mitzvah of lighting the menorah, there is a custom to give Chanukah gelt, a gift of money, especially tochildren. Now, should this money be dispensed only once during the holiday, oron a daily basis?
For the most part,the widespread tradition was to give Chanukah gelt once during Chanukah. However, the Lubavitcher Rebbe proposedthat Chanukah gelt be given to thechildren every night of Chanukah, even if the gifts are small. Heres why:
An underlying themeof Chanukah (and Chanukah gelt) isJewish education.
One of the reasonswhy the small band of Maccabees rose up against the mighty Greek-Syrian forcesis that the Greeks were determined to stamp outJudaism by prohibiting the teaching of Torah to the children and forcingHellenism upon the Jewish population. Once the Maccabees were victorious anddefeated the Greeks, it was necessary to renew and redouble the efforts inJewish education. In fact, theHebrew word Chanukah shares the sameroot as chinuch, education.
One of thecomponents of education is providing pupils, especially those who are lessinclined, with rewards and incentives for their learning. Thus, duringChanukah, it is customary to give Chanukah geltto children as an incentive to increase in their Judaism and Torah study.
However, theconnection between education, Chanukah and Chanukah gelt goes much deeper.
When the Greeksoccupied Israel and entered the Holy Temple, part of their intention was toeradicate the concept of holiness and spirituality and place the emphasis onmateriality and hedonism. So rather than simply destroy the holy oil, theydefiled it, symbolizing their attempt to infuse Greek ideals into thelivesand very possessionsof the Jewish people.
Therefore,Chanukah represents our rejection of materiality for its own sake. The best wayto highlight the victory of the Maccabees and how the Jewish ideals triumphedis to impart the lesson that our material possessions, and especially our extraluxuries, are meant to be infused with a higher spiritual purpose.
Thus, when wegive Chanukah gelt, we both celebrateChanukah and teach the recipients to channel their material possessions towardspiritual ends. This is accomplished by teaching them the importance of givingat least 10% (maaser) of the money tocharity,as well as using the remainder for wholesome purposes.
Based on theabove, the Lubavitcher Rebbe emphasized that especially inthese times, when the challenges of education and materialism is so great, thisimportant lesson of Chanukah should not be limited to just one night but ratherevery night (except for Shabbat, when it can be given either before or afterShabbat). However, since the prevalent custom was to only give Chanukah gelt once, usually on the fourth orfifth night, and since if one gets the same reward repetitively it loses itseducational value, the Rebbe proposed giving a larger amount on the fourth orfifth night.
Since givinggifts every night is a means to educate our children, and part of the educationinvolves teaching children about giving a portion to charity, it isntnecessary that the gifts be large, but they should seemingly be actual monetary gifts.
Read more here:
- Actors Theatre of Columbus 39th season will have royal flavor - ThisWeek Community News - February 11th, 2020
- Australia's 'King Of One-Man Cabarets' Michael Griffiths Returns To The McCallum With COLE - Broadway World - February 11th, 2020
- Wines of the week: 9 bottles to celebrate Valentine's Day with - The Independent - February 11th, 2020
- Legendary rock band to play Lincoln fresh off 25th anniversary - Lincolnshire Live - February 11th, 2020
- 6 Anti-Valentines Day Films That Will Make You Happy To Be Single - British Vogue - February 11th, 2020
- Best UK wine retailers: The local, national and online retailers of the year - decanter.com - December 27th, 2019
- The Many Faces of the Occult - The Atlantic - December 27th, 2019
- Vogue Editors Pick Their Best Movies of the Decade - Vogue - December 27th, 2019
- Una Mullally: With the end of Le Galaxie, the glow has gone out of Irish music - The Irish Times - December 27th, 2019
- Book Review: Stoned by Jo Wood captures a unique time and a side to the Stones that's rarely seen - the AU review - December 27th, 2019
- The Spaceship of the Imagination Makes Spirits Bright - Nashville Scene - December 27th, 2019
- Integrity in our polity - The Nation Newspaper - December 27th, 2019
- Hedonism II | Top Clothing Optional Resorts In Negril, Jamaica - December 21st, 2019
- What to Expect at Hedonism | Hedonism II - December 21st, 2019
- Top 10 photography shows of 2019 | Culture - The Guardian - December 21st, 2019
- FPI says it found condoms and alcohol at DWP, wants Governor Anies to ban EDM festival in the future - Coconuts - December 21st, 2019
- Kurtenbach: The Raiders are leaving behind a fanbase with a passion you cannot buy - East Bay Times - December 21st, 2019
- The Raiders franchise will never be the same after their move from Oakland - ClutchPoints - December 21st, 2019
- Misery, not hedonism, appears to be driving increased drug use among Gen Xers and Boomers - Illicit Trade - November 13th, 2019
- Your Weekly Horoscopes Are Here! November 15th - November 22nd - InStyle - November 13th, 2019
- Dialogue with Tom Wright about History and Eschatology Part Two - Patheos - November 13th, 2019
- Rocket ships, sex cults, and South African connections - Peter Mark Kendall tells us all about his thrilling role in the true-life TV show that's... - November 13th, 2019
- Toro Y Moi reinforces his own creative progression at the House of Blues - Vanyaland - November 13th, 2019
- Why Eden Sank to Grief | Cole S. Aronson - First Things - November 13th, 2019
- Review: Friendly Fires at O2 Institute, Birmingham - a carnival of colour as band enter new dimension - Birmingham Live - November 13th, 2019
- Meow Meow lays the shtick on thick, but the songs are worth it - Sydney Morning Herald - November 13th, 2019
- Review: Botticelli in the Fire, at Hampstead Theatre - Islington Tribune newspaper website - November 13th, 2019
- Indulging In Luxury Hedonism On The White Island, At BLESS Hotel Ibiza - - The Luxury Editor - October 18th, 2019
- Embrace Your Van Winkle Hedonism With This Custom Barrel Stave Humidor - The Whiskey Wash - October 18th, 2019
- An Aegean cruise aboard Azamara Pursuit proves there are few better places to sail - Stuff.co.nz - October 18th, 2019
- A family vacation with something for everyone - The Boston Globe - October 18th, 2019
- Tony Chambers on the designs that can help solve a climate crisis - Evening Standard - October 18th, 2019
- TT Sriram, the frontman of Skrat, talks about his life between business sales and tonal scales - Indulgexpress - October 18th, 2019
- The 25 best albums of July to September 2019 - FACT - October 18th, 2019
- Room author Emma Donoghue's new novel dives deep into love and loss, and what it means to be a family - Vancouver Sun - October 18th, 2019
- Take a look around the brand new hotels Thomas Cook customers will never get to stay in - MyLondon - October 1st, 2019
- Hear Pitbull, Blake Shelton Cut Loose in New Collaboration Get Ready - Rolling Stone - October 1st, 2019
- Singapore Grand Prix: Humidity meets hedonism during Asia's most punishing race - CNN International - October 1st, 2019
- The 2019 Porsche Speedster Might Be The Last Supercar That Actually Feels Good With A Manual Transmission - Jalopnik - October 1st, 2019
- Royal romancer: Which royal had the most mistresses? The biggest Lotherio revealed - Express - October 1st, 2019
- Ten of the Best Cult Films to Watch on Netflix - AnOther Magazine - October 1st, 2019
- The fitness industry is overwhelmingly white and that needs to change - Metro.co.uk - October 1st, 2019
- Bully. Coward. Victim. The Story of Roy Cohn Film Review: 2019s Second Cohn Documentary Flails in Too Many Directions - TheWrap - October 1st, 2019
- Impossible to Love: The Reality of the Impossible Whopper - Forbes - October 1st, 2019
- Hedonism - Wikipedia - May 14th, 2019
- Photo Gallery - Hedonism II - May 14th, 2019
- hedonism | Philosophy & Definition | Britannica.com - May 14th, 2019
- Hedonism: Examples and Definition | Philosophy Terms - April 11th, 2019
- Hedonism Resorts - Wikipedia - April 11th, 2019
- Hedonism Specials | Hedonism II - April 11th, 2019
- Our Resort | Hedonism II - March 21st, 2019
- Adult Vacations, Negril, Jamaica | Hedonism II - March 21st, 2019
- Paradox of hedonism - Wikipedia - March 21st, 2019
- Christian Hedonism | Desiring God - March 21st, 2019
- HEDONISM | definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary - March 18th, 2019
- Hedonism Synonyms, Hedonism Antonyms | Thesaurus.com - March 18th, 2019
- Hedonism III and Runaway Bay in Jamaica - March 18th, 2019
- Hedonism II All Inclusive Resort, Negril, Jamaica - Booking.com - March 18th, 2019
- Hedonism Resorts - Official Site - March 6th, 2019
- Hedonism - Utilitarianism - January 26th, 2019
- Hedonism II Resort (All-Inclusive), Negril - TripAdvisor - January 10th, 2019
- Epicureanism - Wikipedia - January 5th, 2019
- Couples Resorts, Negril, Jamaica | Hedonism II - January 5th, 2019
- Clothing Optional Resorts, Negril, Jamaica | Hedonism II - October 7th, 2018
- Hedonism II Resort - Negril, Jamaica. Be wicked for a week - October 6th, 2018
- Hedonism | Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy - July 28th, 2018
- Christian hedonism - Wikipedia - June 25th, 2018
- Hedonism Community - Castaways Travel - June 15th, 2018
- Individualism, Hedonism, and Minimalism: Spirit of the ... - May 13th, 2018
- Hedonism - sailblogs.com - May 13th, 2018
- The Future Of Hardcore Hedonism - May 13th, 2018
- Hedonism II - Photo Album | Castaways Travel - April 25th, 2018
- Hedonism II - Top Lifestyle Resort in Negril, Jamaica - March 23rd, 2018
- The FAQs on John Piper's "Christian Hedonism" | Searching ... - February 16th, 2018
- hedonism ii photo album - Castaways Travel - January 30th, 2018
- Hedonism UK, the only truly national swingers club ... - August 24th, 2017
- Jenny Slate and Gillian Robespierre shine again in indie comedy 'Landline' - The University Daily Kansan - August 24th, 2017
- Hear Hellbound Glory's Hedonistic 'Sun Valley Blues #3 (Bloodweiser)' - RollingStone.com - August 24th, 2017
- Five podcasts that will benefit your health and wellbeing - The Sydney Morning Herald - August 24th, 2017
- Fear to tread: Should the travel advisory for every place on earth be 'Don't'? - Times of India (blog) - August 24th, 2017