What are we skinning? The forced closure of the Crystal Palace (aka Serkin) pastizzerija in Rabat due to complications arising out of new COVID-19 restrictions.
Why are we skinning it? Because Serkin is about as beloved as local institutions can get, and bears the reputation of having the best pastizzi on the island, and therefore the planet.
But everyone needs to make compromises during a pandemic. We can just get our pastizzi elsewhere. But they wont be Serkin pastizzi. Closing down Serkin is like closing down church.
Why were they closed down, anyway? They classify as a snack bar, surely? Well funny you should say that.
Huh? Turns out they were registered as a bar back in 1981, and will therefore have to close by law since the new restrictions apply to bars across the board.
But thats ridiculous. Why would Serkin register itself as a bar? Youll have to ask them. Convenience? Less bureaucracy? A reminder that things were done differently back then...?
Not that they could exactly predict a global pandemic would be affecting them in this way. And lets face it, there is something appropriate about such a perennially Maltese institution adopting a perennially Maltese - read: embarrassingly lax - approach to licensing their operation.
Serkin is an historical place though. We cannot really judge its bureaucratic make-up by contemporary standards though, can we?I guess we cant. But what does that say about us as a country?
That weve normalised lax approaches to licensing and other procedures for far too long? Thats one, for sure.
Though you could also say that the Maltese will let many things slide if a good pastizz is at the end of it. That sounds obscene, but I take your meaning.
I see that even Economy Minister Silvio Schembri has weighed in on the matter. Yes, hes low-key chided Serkin for never updating their license.
Though to be fair, a Serkin that opens up only until 11pm - as snack bars are now allowed to do - can no longer cater to the soon-to-be-hungover drunken reveller crowd. Well, clubs are closed too
Youre right. COVID-19 has made Maltas hedonism chain collapse like a house of cards.
So what happens now? A little birdie tells me that Serkin appears to have struck a deal with the establishment next door to distribute their iconic pastizzi (and other treats) from that venue.
The solution appears to be understanding, mutual collaboration and inventiveness. Its an inspiring thought, to be sure.
If any institution can inspire the Maltese nation to do good, its Serkin. In a divided nation, the pastizz unites all.
Do say: The nationwide shock that comes with Serkins closure may be a heartwarming reminder that we still hold such historic institutions close to our hearts, but it also encourages us to consider the negative side-effects of our countrys lax approach to bureaucracy, pastizzi or no pastizzi.
Dont say: If you take Serkin away you may as well burn the flag, to be honest.
- DRIVE 2020: DRIVE: Buff pickups from hell to get your through it - Dallas Voice - November 7th, 2020
- Earth911 Podcast: Thinking Through Post-Growth Living With Philosopher Kate Soper | Earth 911 - Earth911.com - November 7th, 2020
- 12 Classic Songs That Happened By Accident Kerrang! - Kerrang! - November 7th, 2020
- 10 Warhammer 40,000 Factions That Still Need Proper Armies - TheGamer - November 7th, 2020
- Partying Like Its 1925 as Londons Theaters Go Dark (Again) - The New York Times - November 7th, 2020
- A psychologist explains how Trump's own words reveal the traits that make him unfit for office - AlterNet - November 7th, 2020
- Stream These 15 Titles Before They Leave Netflix in November - The New York Times - November 7th, 2020
- Why Trump is so obsessed with 'Y.M.C.A.' - SFGate - November 7th, 2020
- Good use of that Christmas party budget - RollOnFriday - October 19th, 2020
- Exclusive news and research on the wine, spirits and beer business - Shanken News Daily - October 19th, 2020
- October Surprise! US psychiatrists convince the media to reveal the extent of Trump's mental instability - NationofChange - October 19th, 2020
- In search of the real Ma Anand Sheela - Livemint - October 19th, 2020
- Not even seats and social distancing can stop Working Men's Club from bringing the hedonism to London's Oslo - DIY Magazine - October 10th, 2020
- Features | Tome On The Range | Under The Skin: Skunk Anansie At Glastonbury, 1999 - The Quietus - October 10th, 2020
- Bartenders Tell Us The Best-Tasting Whiskies They've Ever Tried Wonderfully Curated News - Register - October 10th, 2020
- Satire | October Horoscopes - University of Pittsburgh The Pitt News - October 10th, 2020
- Track by Track: International Teachers of Pop on the bombastic Pop Gossip | Gigwise - Gigwise - September 4th, 2020
- Class Action Park Review: Thanks for the Injuries - The New York Times - September 4th, 2020
- Junk Explained: Why Recessions Hit Young People The Hardest - Junkee - September 4th, 2020
- I May Destroy You: The HBO series about consent we should all be watching (Trigger Warning-sexual assault, rape) - The Observer - September 4th, 2020
- Remembering the time David Bowie and John Cale got wasted and jammed, 1978 - Far Out Magazine - September 4th, 2020
- Blue sky thinking with the A-list's favourite shrink - MSN UK - September 4th, 2020
- Liverpool are ready for another Jrgen Klopp journey, but this one carries biggest warning yet - Liverpool.com - September 4th, 2020
- Op-Ed: To My Fellow Students, Please, Just Follow the Rules - The Tower - September 4th, 2020
- Welcome to Nashville, Where Were Just Realizing Theres a Pandemic - Rolling Stone - August 10th, 2020
- What the new Sky drama series Little Birds is all about and what inspired it - iNews - August 10th, 2020
- How this year's freshers are feeling about picking the wrong year to start university - iNews - August 10th, 2020
- Opinion: Robert McNeil: All the lonely people: are they taking the bliss? - HeraldScotland - August 10th, 2020
- 9 Perfect Scotches To Sip In The Summertime - The Manual - August 10th, 2020
- Living in Clerkenwell:the Zone 1 neighbourhood with house prices on the up and Crossrail on the horizon - Homes and Property - August 10th, 2020
- The reason why the BBC banned A Day In The Life by The Beatles - Far Out Magazine - August 10th, 2020
- Hedonism II | Top Clothing Optional Resorts In Negril, Jamaica - August 7th, 2020
- Hedonism - Wikipedia - August 7th, 2020
- A Safe Spot for Gay Travelers at Jamaica's Hedonism II ... - August 7th, 2020
- Hedonism II Returning in July With Party Safely ... - August 7th, 2020
- hedonism | Philosophy & Definition | Britannica - August 7th, 2020
- Hedonism III to rebrand as a more conservative resort ... - August 7th, 2020
- Hedonism III: Naked truths about 'resort casual': Travel ... - August 7th, 2020
- Taking Time to Enjoy the Pleasures of Life Brings Happiness - PsychCentral.com - August 7th, 2020
- The Other Columbus: National Beer Float Light Cat Pin Zuke Day - Columbus Alive - August 7th, 2020
- Two Dances: The Women of Fellini and Beardsley - Varsity Online - August 7th, 2020
- The Dandy Warhols Thirteen Tales From Urban Bohemia: Why It Mattered - Happy - August 7th, 2020
- The South Got Something To Say: A Celebration Of Southern Rap (1995-1999) - NPR - August 7th, 2020
- Hedonism can be a good thing - Cosmos - August 5th, 2020
- Why researchers are encouraging us to embrace hedonism - TimesLIVE - August 5th, 2020
- Ill always feel in my element at this neon-lit rave in the Nevada desert - Telegraph.co.uk - August 5th, 2020
- From Cancun to Jamaica, Adults-Only Resorts That Are Open Right Now - Caribbean Journal - August 5th, 2020
- Finding Home Away From Home In The City of Rovinj, Croatia - vmagazine.com - August 5th, 2020
- Feel the need to be on the go all the time? Here's permission to relax - The Star Online - August 5th, 2020
- Where are the religious Zionists in defense of Netanyahu? - Haaretz.com - August 5th, 2020
- The Bologna Massacre, the 'Strategy of Tension' and Operation Gladio - CounterPunch - August 5th, 2020
- 'The Matrix Has You...' - The Good Men Project - August 5th, 2020
- Sea level rise: three visions of a future summer holiday at the coast - The Conversation UK - August 5th, 2020
- How we met: 'He spoke to me in a French accent, and I went weak at the knees' - The Guardian - August 5th, 2020
- Review: 'Beastie Boys Story' on Apple TV+ examines the growth of the iconic band - The Oakland Press - August 4th, 2020
- Soft white wines that pack a punch - The Guardian - July 31st, 2020
- Giving in to occasional temptation leads to a happier life - Brinkwire - July 31st, 2020
- Experts Have Found The Key To Happiness | WOMX - RADIO.COM - July 31st, 2020
- Closer to success: scientists surprised by unexpected statement Hedonists - The Saxon - July 31st, 2020
- Netflix, Amazon, Stan, Foxtel, Binge and more: Everything new to streaming in August | Australia - NEWS.com.au - July 31st, 2020
- Multifaceted approach necessary to overcome domestic violence in Turkey | Daily Sabah - Daily Sabah - July 31st, 2020
- COMMENTARY || Tough-on-crime anti-drug moralizing does a disservice to Canadians - Folio - University of Alberta - July 31st, 2020
- 1920: The Year Broadway Learned To Syncopate | The Syncopated Times - The Syncopated Times - July 30th, 2020
- Keep the dist-dance - techtoday19 - July 29th, 2020
- 5 extraordinary submerged sites that will make you believe Atlantis is real - BreakingNews.ie - July 28th, 2020
- Kylie Minogue Fans Have Broken The Internet At "Say Something" - Wonderland Magazine - July 28th, 2020
- Purdue prof attracts cult following as expert on 'The Black Death' - Purdue Exponent - July 28th, 2020
- Is The West Repeating India's Mistakes? Interview (Part II) - Eurasia Review - July 28th, 2020
- Revelations Of Heist And Hedonism Of Youngsters - The Nigerian Voice - July 27th, 2020
- An epic year of misbehaviour, hedonism and havoc behind the scenes of 'Ryan's Daughter' - Independent.ie - July 25th, 2020
- Tough-on-crime anti-drug moralizing does a disservice to Canadians - The Globe and Mail - July 25th, 2020
- Turning 40 Gives the Gift of Perspective - PsychCentral.com - July 25th, 2020
- Rebel with a Cause: The Saint and the values that inspire Drew Pavlou - The Catholic Weekly - July 25th, 2020
- Long live the Dead - Hudson Valley One - July 25th, 2020
- Jim Carrey explores the absurdities of life (and himself) in novel - San Francisco Chronicle - July 21st, 2020
- Which star sign will make you rich? Experts reveal who will be in the money - Chronicle Live - July 21st, 2020
- Who Will Save Londons Nightlife? - HYPEBEAST - July 21st, 2020
- Scotland on Sunday Travel - House of Gods, Edinburgh - The Scotsman - July 21st, 2020
- Throwback to the 1970s: Netanyahu is facing his own Yom Kippur War - Haaretz - July 21st, 2020
- Stream It Or Skip It: 'The Business of Drugs' on Netflix, a Documentary Series About the Ins and Outs of Controlled-Substance Trades - Decider - July 21st, 2020