Sarah Hurst on how the far-right activist visited Russia to praise Vladimir Putin and spread Islamophobic and racist propaganda about the UK.
The far-right activist Stephen Yaxley-Lennon who calls himself Tommy Robinson has received VIP treatment in Russia, giving a press conference at the headquarters of newspaper Komsomolskaya Pravda and speaking at a Libertarian Party conference.
Yaxley-Lennon was greeted at the newspapers offices in Moscow by Alexander Malkevich, formerly the head of a propaganda outlet called USA Really and currently billed as the head of the Foundation for Defending National Values.Malkevich was sanctioned by the US in 2018 for attempted election interference.
The 37-year-old founder of the English Defence League (EDL) and a recent convert to the Conservative Party has served prison time in the UK for various crimes, including assault and mortgage fraud, and last year for contempt of court for broadcasting a Facebook Live video of defendants in a trial, in breach of reporting restrictions. However, Russian media didnt think any of this was worth mentioning, depicting him instead as a victim of censorship and EU oppression.
Yaxley-Lennons visit followed one by Britain First leader Paul Golding last year to the Russian Duma, which resulted in a criminal charge being brought.
Komsomolskaya Pravda, which claims to be the most popular newspaper in Russia, announced that the theme of the press conference would be whats going on with free speech in Europe? It described Yaxley-Lennon as a politician and journalist and noted that, not only had he been jailed for making a video, but he had also been illegally banned from Twitter forsupposed extremist statements, despite having half a million followers.
Yaxley-Lennons own title for his presentation at the event was more direct: The Rape of Britain.
Robinson said that all the problems he was talking about were connected to Muslims, the website RIA-FAN reported. This is not just about one-off crimes by individuals but about gangs of migrants raping underage British girls, it continued, relaying Yaxley-Lennons words uncritically. You cant believe the British media! Robinson ranted. Ive seen their manipulations, how they make up lies about me Thats why Im here! Because all these issues are relevant in Russia.
The website Vechernyaya Moskva interviewed Yaxley-Lennon at the press conference and published an article with the headline British Politician Robinson: Lets Break Up the European Union Together. He told them that he thought the Netherlands and France would be the next countries to leave the EU after the UK, and that Frances exit would be possible if Marine Le Pen got enough support. The French far-right leader met Russian President Vladimir Putin in Moscow in March 2017 one month before the presidential election in which she was a candidate. A Russian company is now suing her to recover a loan of $10.8 million.
Peter Jukes and Hardeep Matharu
Yaxley-Lennons views are also remarkably similar to Putins. He said in the interview that EU sanctions on Russia arent motivated by Russias aggression against Ukraine but are an attempt to rein in Russias power. The EU is destabilising Ukraine and intervening militarily there as part of a programme of expansion, Yaxley-Lennon insisted. And if Russia had wanted to take out Sergei Skripal, it would have done it quietly, not with aRussianchemical weapon, he claimed. He said that he hoped Russia would become one of the UKs key partners after Brexit and that they would fight jihadism together.
We can cooperate to preserve our Christian values,culture and identity, Yaxley-Lennon told the newspaper. Russians see Putin as the defender of their country. He is a strong politician. The West doesnt have enough strong men. Western politicians are emasculated. He said that he would like to go for a beer with Putin and would advise him to fight the censorship and propaganda that is being used against Russia. Yaxley-Lennon would also ask Putin to let him host a Russian TV show.
Yaxley-Lennon posted pictures of his lecture at the Libertarian Party conference in St. Petersburg on his Telegram channel, with the words Thank you Russia. The party itself also tweeted pictures of himspeaking to a packed hall. He was an odd choice of guest for a party, the leader of which Mikhail Svetov was one of the organisers of anti-Putin protests in Moscow last summer. But, if people on the fringes are likely to get together somewhere, it will be in Russia.
This article is part of a series on Kremlin links to prominent people in Europe that issupportedby a grant from JournalismFund.EU.
- Justin Amashs potential third-party presidential bid, explained - Vox.com - May 5th, 2020
- Armed mobs: the grim apotheosis of libertarianism - National Catholic Reporter - May 5th, 2020
- Political scientist finds disconnect in Libertarian Party platform, voters - University of Dayton - News Home - May 1st, 2020
- Be Free: A Libertarian Look At The Music Of Kemo The Blaxician - The Libertarian Republic - May 1st, 2020
- What You Need to Know About the CARES Act - The Libertarian Republic - May 1st, 2020
- Who should be included in the libertarian canon - UConn Daily Campus - April 19th, 2020
- The insipid libertarian memes of COVID-19 - Ryan Bohl - Elemental - April 19th, 2020
- COVID-19 is killing minor parties' ability to get candidates on the ballot in Minnesota - MinnPost - April 19th, 2020
- We need to be the Rosa Parks: Trump ally plans Wisconsin protest of coronavirus restrictions - POLITICO - April 19th, 2020
- Berkeley institution Top Dog is on the ropes. But they still wont take federal aid. - SFGate - April 19th, 2020
- Why You Should Be a Socialist and a Marxist - Jacobin magazine - April 19th, 2020
- The Hill's Campaign Report: 200 days to Election Day 2020 | TheHill - The Hill - April 19th, 2020
- Mark Cuban To Run For President? Billionaire Dallas Mavericks Owner Does Not Rule Out 2020 White House Bid - International Business Times - April 19th, 2020
- The Coronavirus Outbreak Is Exposing Government Follies on Many Levels - Reason - April 6th, 2020
- Stuck at Home? Read about the History of Liberty - Cato Institute - April 6th, 2020
- This Libertarian Country Defeated The Coronavirus With The Free Market - Patheos - April 6th, 2020
- A Little-Known Democratic Governor Is Breaking Out in Kentucky - The Intercept - April 6th, 2020
- Three political philosophies, and how they apply to the coronavirus pandemic - BioEdge - April 6th, 2020
- Beyond Originalism - The Atlantic - April 6th, 2020
- The Coronavirus Pandemic Has Set Off A Massive Expansion Of Government Surveillance. Civil Libertarians Aren't Sure What To Do. - BuzzFeed News - April 2nd, 2020
- Will County GOP, Libertarians worry how COVID-19 will affect third party ballot access - The Herald-News - April 2nd, 2020
- Democratic lawmaker on stimulus vote delay: 'There will be blood on Thomas Massie's hands' | TheHill - The Hill - April 2nd, 2020
- Working Together Is What Humans Are Built to Do: Social Trust Is Key to Stemming the Coronavirus Crisis - The New Yorker - April 2nd, 2020
- What Are The Best ASUS Routers in 2020? - The Libertarian Republic - April 2nd, 2020
- Shapiro: Stop pretending pandemic politics are the new norm - Daily Herald - April 2nd, 2020
- In a pandemic, Nobody thinks we should smoke more weed - The Boston Globe - April 2nd, 2020
- Here are the candidates - Walterboro Live - April 2nd, 2020
- Visions of Liberty - Cato Institute - April 2nd, 2020
- Don't Think of Massie as a Hero - American Greatness - April 2nd, 2020
- COVID-19 and . . . 2024? - National Review - March 26th, 2020
- Margaret Thatcher, Libertarianism, and the Etherization of the Single Tax - Merion West - March 26th, 2020
- Illinois third-party candidates seek changes to ballot access amid COVID-19 pandemic - WGEM - March 26th, 2020
- The benefits of sex after 60 - The Libertarian Republic - March 26th, 2020
- Jordan Keeps Coronavirus In Check With One Of The World's Strictest Lockdowns | NPR - KCRW - March 26th, 2020
- Tiger King is the weird docu-series distraction we can use right now - Q13 News Seattle - March 26th, 2020
- In Remembrance of Jon Basil Utley (1934-2020) | Cato @ Liberty - Cato Institute - March 26th, 2020
- The duties we owe to the state - The Conservative Woman - March 26th, 2020
- The small-government case for giving everyone a big check - The Week - March 26th, 2020
- Libertarian Party reminds people they have 15 candidates running for president - week.com - March 16th, 2020
- Yes, There Are Libertarians in Pandemics - Reason - March 16th, 2020
- Tired: There Are No Libertarians in a Pandemic. Wired: There Are Only Libertarians in a Pandemic. - Reason - March 16th, 2020
- There Are No Libertarians in an Epidemic - The Atlantic - March 16th, 2020
- Seeking change and acceptance: Sex worker and political candidate riles things up in Orleans and beyond - The Daily News Online - March 16th, 2020
- Tech think tank chief to step down after Trump death tweet - POLITICO - March 16th, 2020
- Petition to ban sanctuary cities approved on Winnacunnet school ballot - Seacoastonline.com - March 16th, 2020
- When Should Lay Voters Defer to the Views of Scientists? - Reason - March 16th, 2020
- Ben Shapiro: What coronavirus should teach us - Grand Forks Herald - March 16th, 2020
- Candidates who filed for office in Nevada - Las Vegas Review-Journal - March 16th, 2020
- The conservative movement is a public health hazard - The Week - March 16th, 2020
- The Sanders Campaign: Another Failure of Socialism? - The National Interest - March 16th, 2020
- This week: Senate balances surveillance fight with growing coronavirus concerns | TheHill - The Hill - March 16th, 2020
- Whitmer nominated to appear on Libertarian line for 27th district special election - WIVB.com - News 4 - February 24th, 2020
- This Obscure Foundation Helped Fund The Alt-Right - New York Magazine - February 24th, 2020
- The anti-Greta: A conservative think tank takes on the global phenomenon - msnNOW - February 24th, 2020
- How George Washington Can Revive Fusionism On The Right - The Federalist - February 24th, 2020
- Breaking the Two-Party Paradigm - Fort Worth Weekly - February 24th, 2020
- Conservatives are concerned, but is liberal indoctrination really an issue at UNL and UNO? - Omaha World-Herald - February 24th, 2020
- Voter Registration Is Up as Island Prepares for Presidential Primary - The Vineyard Gazette - Martha's Vineyard News - February 24th, 2020
- Bbb-but, Gorsuch? - Above the Law - February 24th, 2020
- Libertarian party gives us a choice (letter to the editor) - SILive.com - February 17th, 2020
- Andrew Yang, Who Wanted Libertarians in His Coalition and Opposed Cancel Culture, Exits the Democratic Race - Reason - February 17th, 2020
- Yang Is Out. Yangism Is Here to Stay. - New York Magazine - February 17th, 2020
- Tulsi Gabbard Hopes Libertarian-Minded New Hampshire Will Save Her Presidential Run - BuzzFeed News - February 17th, 2020
- Sanders and Bloomberg want to redistribute wealth. Most millionaires and billionaires don't. - Thehour.com - February 17th, 2020
- Koch showers millions on think tanks to push a restrained foreign policy - POLITICO - February 17th, 2020
- Tuesday is the deadline to register to vote in March primary - The-review - February 17th, 2020
- Where to Get Writing Inspiration? - The Libertarian Republic - February 17th, 2020
- Letters: What type of person do we want in charge?; Tolls arent the only answer to congestion; more letters (2/16/20) - The Denver Post - February 17th, 2020
- Why Trump won't be the only Republican presidential candidate in the N.C. primaries - The Daily Tar Heel - February 17th, 2020
- The 8 Republicans who voted to curb Trump's Iran war powers | TheHill - The Hill - February 17th, 2020
- New Hampshire 2020: This is just the beginning - NationofChange - February 17th, 2020
- Low voter turnout at the Iowa Libertarian Party Caucus - Oskaloosa Herald - February 12th, 2020
- Early voting starts Thursday - Winston-Salem Journal - February 12th, 2020
- Gary Johnson offers help to Gabbard campaign amid 3rd party talk - Business Insider - Business Insider - February 12th, 2020
- Why Bill Weld Is Really Running Against Trump - The Atlantic - February 12th, 2020
- How to Make the Most of New Gambling Legislation - The Libertarian Republic - February 12th, 2020
- Why I decided to leave the Republican Party - Alaska Landmine - February 12th, 2020
- In GOP race, Bill Weld harbored no illusions - The Boston Globe - February 12th, 2020
- Tulsi Gabbard in New Hampshire - The Nation - February 12th, 2020
- The power of independents in New Hampshire and the nation - CNN - February 12th, 2020