]]]]]]>]]]]>]]> Verona will use the financing to support further development of its nebulised COPD drug ensifentrine. Credit: Shutterstock.
Sign up here for GlobalData's free bi-weekly Covid-19 report on the latest information your industry needs to know.
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) specialist Verona Pharma has closed an oversubscribed private placement and subscription with $200m raised from existing and new investors.
Once agency fees and other expenses are dealt with, the net proceeds of the placement are estimated to be around $183m.
The financing was led by new investors RA Capital Management, Access Biotechnology, Perceptive Advisors, Acorn Bioventures, PBM Capital, Samsara BioCapital, Foresite Capital, Sphera, Fairmount and Soleus Capital. Novo Holdings, Vivo Capital and other existing investors also participated in the placement.
Commenting on this financing, Verona CEO David Zaccardelli says: It is great to retain this expertise and to expand on it by adding additional support from new investors who also have deep knowledge of investing in drug development.
Verona is a public company listed on Nasdaq and the London Stock Exchanges AIM, which means it is more typical to raise funds through private placements of debt or stock, rather than through series rounds, explains Zaccardelli. He adds that the company is very pleased to have raised almost four times its market capitalisation, and calls this raise unprecedented.
Zaccardelli links the oversubscribed nature of this private placement to investors seeing value in our compelling and comprehensive data package for lead product ensifentrine for COPD, compared to placebo. Attracting such support provides a validation ofVeronaPharmas team, strategy and the potential opportunity for ensifentrine in respiratory disease, he adds.
Ensifentrine is a first-in-class drug, which combines a bronchodilator and anti-inflammatory agent into one molecule. Verona believes it has the potential to revolutionise COPD treatment, which currently involves dual or triple therapy with long-acting muscarinic antagonists (LAMAs), long-acting beta adrenoceptor agonists (LABAs) and inhaled corticosteroids, explains Zaccardelli. Not only is this approach burdensome on the patient, the combination fails to relieve the symptoms of millions of COPD patients.
New therapeutic options are urgently needed since the World Health Organization estimates the incidence of COPD is growing, and the lung disease is likely to be the third biggest killer in the world by 2030.
Verona is planning to use this $200m financing to fund Phase III trials of ensifentrine in COPD. These trials are expected to start later this year, and the funding will support the studies through to 2023. One of the trials will focus on ensifentrine as a monotherapy, and another will assess its efficacy as an add-on to either a LAMA or a LABA.
Zaccardelli concludes: The financing is a significant milestone and brings us closer to our goal of ensuring ensifentrine is available for the millions of COPD patients who urgently need better treatments.
Veronas Phase III programme for ensifentrine known as ENHANCE is being launched on the back of very promising results for ensifentrine in a Phase II programme that involved 16 clinical trials in a total of 1,300 patients.
In a statement, Zaccardelli noted: We continue to be very encouraged by the Phase II results that have demonstrated ensifentrines effects on lung function, COPD symptoms and quality of life as well as its favourable safety profile.
Although Verona has focused on studying ensifentrine in a nebulised formulation so far and this will be focus of the ENHANCE trials the company recognises patients may prefer handheld inhaler formats. Therefore, it has developed formulations of ensifentrine in dry powder inhaler and pressurised metered dose inhaler formats, according to Zaccardelli.
Verona has undertaken two successful Phase II trials of both dry power inhaler and pressurised metered dose inhaler formulations of ensifentrine in the last year. Following the publication of interim results in March 2020, the second half of the pressurised metered dose formulation trial has been postponed due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
To date, there have been no announcements from Verona about progressing these two formulations into Phase III studies.
View original post here:
- Reducing barriers to mainstream gene therapy - BioPharma-Reporter.com - September 4th, 2020
- Mapping Genetic Diversity of Lung Tumors Over Time May Lead to More Effective Therapies - UCSF News Services - September 4th, 2020
- Multi-site study to evaluate the role of testing guidelines in ensuring access to genetic information for men with prostate cancer - PRNewswire - September 4th, 2020
- Global Prime Editing Market to Witness Heightened Growth During the Period 2020 2030 - The Daily Chronicle - September 4th, 2020
- Liquid biopsies to disrupt the oncology testing market - Medical Device Network - September 4th, 2020
- Global RNA-interference (RNAi) Market Growth, Trends and Forecasts to 2025: Focus on Key Players Alnylam Pharmaceuticals, Arrowhead, Quark... - September 4th, 2020
- Yale researchers find a cause and possible treatment for Fragile X - Yale News - September 4th, 2020
- 'Coming into their own': FDA approval of liquid biopsy tests puts early, less invasive cancer detection in broader reach - USA TODAY - September 4th, 2020
- Fusion Genes Associated With More Aggressive Papillary Thyroid Cancer in Pediatric Patients - Targeted Oncology - September 4th, 2020
- Existing Class of Drugs May Improve Neurological Function in Patients with Rare, Aggressive Genetic Disorder - Newswise - September 4th, 2020
- Genomic analysis reveals insights on virulent, emerging foodborne pathogen - UB Now: News and views for UB faculty and staff - University at Buffalo... - September 4th, 2020
- Hyperthyroidism is associated with breast cancer risk and mammographic and genetic risk predictors - 2 Minute Medicine - September 4th, 2020
- Health history platform launches to trace genetic conditions | Digital Healthcare - Healthcare Global - Healthcare News, Magazine and Website - September 4th, 2020
- New HIV Gene Therapy, CAR-T Treatments Could be on the Horizon for Patients - BioSpace - September 4th, 2020
- Cell Suicide Gene Further Linked to Immunotherapy Response - Technology Networks - September 2nd, 2020
- Genetic mutations may be linked to infertility, early menopause - Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis - September 2nd, 2020
- How to use precision medicine to personalise COVID-19 treatment according to the patient's genes - Down To Earth Magazine - September 2nd, 2020
- UCT professors research offers hope of treatment for sickle cell anaemia - Daily Maverick - September 2nd, 2020
- Association of recent stressful life events with mental and physical health in the context of genomic and exposomic liability for schizophrenia - 2... - September 2nd, 2020
- Finding order in the chaos of cancer mutations - Drug Target Review - September 2nd, 2020
- Mustang Bio Announces Orphan Drug Designation for MB-107 for the Treatment of X-linked Severe Combined Immunodeficiency in Newly Diagnosed Infants -... - September 2nd, 2020
- Novavax Announces Publication of Phase 1 Data for COVID-19 Vaccine Candidate in The New England Journal of Medicine - GlobeNewswire - September 2nd, 2020
- Department of Genetic Medicine | Johns Hopkins Medicine - August 10th, 2020
- Genetic Medicine | Internal Medicine | Michigan Medicine ... - August 10th, 2020
- Genetic Medicine | Department of Medicine - August 10th, 2020
- Genomics and Medicine - Genome.gov - August 10th, 2020
- New Approach to Treating Osteoarthritis Advances | NYU Langone News - NYU Langone Health - August 10th, 2020
- Stoke Therapeutics Reports Second Quarter Financial Results and Provides Business Updates - Business Wire - August 10th, 2020
- Here's Why Shares of Editas Medicine and Beam Therapeutics Are Soaring Today - Motley Fool - August 10th, 2020
- Grant will fund study into COVID outcome disparities in NYC - Cornell Chronicle - August 10th, 2020
- A versatile genetic control system in mammalian cells and mice responsive to clinically licensed sodium ferulate - Science Advances - August 10th, 2020
- Spark Therapeutics Deepens Drug Development Expertise in Hematology and Rare Disease with Appointment of Gallia G. Levy, MD, Ph.D., as Chief Medical... - August 10th, 2020
- Chromosomal Rearrangements Associated with Chemotherapeutic Drug Resistance | McDonnell Boehnen Hulbert & Berghoff LLP - JD Supra - August 10th, 2020
- Jae Jung, Ph.D., Appointed as Chair of Cleveland Clinic Lerner Research Institute's Department of Cancer Biology - Health Essentials from Cleveland... - August 10th, 2020
- The UK and TCELS to jointly support COVID-19 research in Thailand - GOV.UK - August 10th, 2020
- Akouos Announces Expansion of Executive Team and Board of Directors - BioSpace - August 10th, 2020
- Medical and neurobehavioural phenotypes in male and female carriers of Xp22.31 duplications in the UK Biobank. - Physician's Weekly - August 10th, 2020
- Coronavirus vaccine breakthrough: New generation cure that stops virus developed - Express - August 10th, 2020
- Global Cell and Gene Therapy Market, Forecast to 2025 by Product, Disease, End-user and Region - COVID-19 Updated - PRNewswire - August 10th, 2020
- Not Everyone Needs 8 Hours of Sleep, New Research Reveals | Time - TIME - August 10th, 2020
- Lindsey Criswell Named Director of National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases - UCSF News Services - August 10th, 2020
- Pinpointing The Cells That Keep The Bodys Master Circadian Clock Ticking - Newswise - August 10th, 2020
- Kazia Therapeutics hits A$1 on grant of Rare Pediatric Disease Designation to paxalisib for DIPG - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - August 10th, 2020
- Treatment Considerations for Prostate Cancer Progressing After Combination Therapy for mCSPC - UroToday - August 10th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of PSNL.OQ earnings conference call or presentation 6-Aug-20 9:00pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - August 10th, 2020
- Doctoral Student/Research Assistant in Mitochondrial Biology and Signalling job with UNIVERSITY OF HELSINKI | 218596 - Times Higher Education (THE) - August 10th, 2020
- Simpler COVID-19 test could provide results in hours from saliva - University of Wisconsin-Madison - August 10th, 2020
- This company has a better version of a simpler, faster Covid-19 test - STAT - August 7th, 2020
- Mental Notes: Music Cognition Lab is dedicated to the scientific study of how music affects the brain and behavior - Vanderbilt University News - August 6th, 2020
- Nasha Fitter Elected to Board of Directors of the ACMG Foundation for Genetic and Genomic Medicine - PRNewswire - August 5th, 2020
- HDAC6 Can Control Tumor Growth and Halt Metastasis in Triple-Negative Breast Cancer - Newswise - August 5th, 2020
- Will programming a cell ever be as easy as programming an app? - SynBioBeta - August 5th, 2020
- Penn Researchers Identify New Genetic Cause of a Form of Inherited Neuropathy - Newswise - August 5th, 2020
- Genetic Variant in Persons of African Descent Linked with Stroke: Analysis - DocWire News - August 5th, 2020
- Invitae Reports $46.2 Million in Revenue Driven by More Than 120000 Samples Accessioned in the Second Quarter of 2020 - Monterey County Weekly - August 5th, 2020
- Noel R. Rose, widely regarded as the father of autoimmune disease research, dies at 92 - The Hub at Johns Hopkins - August 5th, 2020
- Atsena Therapeutics acquires exclusive rights to Gene Therapy for GUCY2D-associated Leber Congenital Amaurosis - GlobeNewswire - August 5th, 2020
- Seragon Announces GenomeScore, the First AI Platform to Measure Rate of Aging and Physiological Changes - PRNewswire - August 5th, 2020
- Vaccine 'durability': COVID-19 immunizations coming soon but will they last? - Genetic Literacy Project - August 5th, 2020
- Aerpio Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Announces a Second Clinical Trial with Funding from MTEC to Evaluate Razuprotafib for the Prevention and Treatment of... - August 5th, 2020
- Stoke Therapeutics to Present at Upcoming Investor Conferences in August - Business Wire - August 4th, 2020
- The global cell and gene therapy market by revenue is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 30.90% during the period 20192025 - GlobeNewswire - August 4th, 2020
- Cochlear implant uses LEDs to tackle hearing loss - Optics.org - August 4th, 2020
- Rozlytrek, Roche's first tumour-agnostic therapy, approved in Europe for people with NTRK fusion-positive solid tumours and for people with... - August 4th, 2020
- Alnylam Pharmaceuticals : Submits CTA Application for ALN-HSD, an Investigational RNAi Therapeutic for the Treatment of Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis -... - August 4th, 2020
- 'The younger the child, the likelier to find causative gene of infant epilepsy' - Korea Biomedical Review - Korea Biomedical Review - August 3rd, 2020
- Known genes associated with male infertility doubled - BioNews - August 3rd, 2020
- Alnylam Submits CTA Application for ALN-HSD, an Investigational RNAi Therapeutic for the Treatment of Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis (NASH) - Business... - August 3rd, 2020
- Cancer drug is first therapy to emerge from 23andMe-GSK deal - STAT - STAT - August 3rd, 2020
- Dr. Rana on the Rationale for Video Genetic Counseling in Prostate Cancer - OncLive - August 3rd, 2020
- Metastatic Lung Cancer Study Finds That Bionano's Saphyr Outperforms NGS for the Detection of Structural Variants - GlobeNewswire - August 3rd, 2020
- Health Media in the COVID-19 Era: A mid-wave report - Features - MM&M - Medical Marketing and Media - August 3rd, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 shows off the ruined dreams district of Pacifica in new concept art - Critical Hit - August 2nd, 2020
- An unsupported American conspiracy theory found a foothold in Europe. New research shows how - NewsDio - August 2nd, 2020
- Study Suggests New Approach to Improve Radiation Therapy Resistance in Glioblastoma - Michigan Medicine - August 1st, 2020
- Atsena Therapeutics acquires exclusive rights to Gene Therapy for GUCY2D-associated Leber Congenital Amaurosis - BioSpace - August 1st, 2020
- Our Genes May Explain Severity of COVID-19 and Other Infections - Quanta Magazine - August 1st, 2020
- Omega Therapeutics Lands $85M to Tap Into Control Room of Biology - Xconomy - August 1st, 2020
- EarlyBird Study: Early Detection of Adult-Onset Type 2 Diabetes in Youth - Diabetes In Control - August 1st, 2020
- Movers & Shakers, July 24 | BioSpace - BioSpace - July 31st, 2020