SAN FRANCISCO, Aug. 4, 2020 /PRNewswire/ --Invitae Corporation (NYSE: NVTA), a leading medical genetics company, today announced financial and operating results for the second quarter ended June 30, 2020.
"While we experienced significant disruptions in the healthcare system due to the pandemic, we quickly established a solid recovery during the quarter. Our results highlight the strength of our operations and the benefits of our diversified menu, investments in telehealth capabilities and longstanding customer relationships, all of which position us to adapt and meet the changing needs of our customers," said Sean George, Ph.D., co-founder and chief executive officer of Invitae. "We exited the quarter with a strong footing and increasing momentum. We remain confident in our ability to continue to deliver on our mission to bring genetic information into mainstream medicine."
Second Quarter 2020 Financial Results
Total operating expense, excluding cost of revenue, for the second quarter of 2020 was $145.3 million. Non-GAAP operating expense was $105.7 million in the second quarter of 2020.
Net loss for the second quarter of 2020 was $166.4 million, or $1.29 net loss per share, compared to a net loss of $48.7 million in the second quarter of 2019, or $0.54 net loss per share. Non-GAAP net loss was $99.2 million, or $0.77 non-GAAP net loss per share, in the second quarter of 2020.
At June 30, 2020, cash, cash equivalents, restricted cash and marketable securities totaled $428.5 million. Net increase in cash, cash equivalents and restricted cash for the quarter was $78.0 million. Cash burn, including various acquisition-related expenses, was $89.2 million for the quarter and $63.8 million when excluding the $25.4 million cash paid to acquire YouScript and Genelex.
Early in the quarter, in response to impacts of the pandemic, the company took actions to significantly scale back operational expenditures. The result of these changes is expected to decrease the discretionary spend in cost of revenue and operating expense beginning in the third quarter.
"We continue to see a solid recovery in volume, improvement in our operating leverage and ability to improve revenue generation. As a result, we are well positioned with sufficient capital to execute our strategy in the coming years," continued Dr. George. "We have added or will be adding important capabilities to our platform through the acquisitions we announced this quarter and our ongoing product development efforts. With our mission clearly in focus, we can continue to navigate these unprecedented times."
Corporate and Scientific Highlights
Webcast and Conference Call DetailsManagement will host a conference call and webcast today at 4:30 p.m. Eastern / 1:30 p.m. Pacific to discuss financial results and recent developments. To register for the conference call and webcast, please use one of the methods below. Upon registering, each participant will be provided with call details and a registrant ID.
Online registration: http://www.directeventreg.com/registration/event/5882896
Phone registration: (888) 869-1189 or (706) 643-5902
The live webcast of the call and slide deck may be accessedhere or by visiting the investors section of the company's website atir.invitae.com. A replay of the webcast and conference call will be available shortly after the conclusion of the call and will be archived on the company's website.
About InvitaeInvitae Corporation(NYSE: NVTA)is a leading medical genetics company whose mission is to bring comprehensive genetic information into mainstream medicine to improve healthcare for billions of people. Invitae's goal is to aggregate the world's genetic tests into a single service with higher quality, faster turnaround time, and lower prices. For more information, visit the company's website at invitae.com.
Safe Harbor StatementThis press release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, including statements relating to the company's belief that it is well-positioned to adapt and meet the changing needs of its customers; the company's belief regarding the momentum of its business and ability to continue to deliver on its mission to bring genetic information into mainstream medicine; the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the company's business, and the measures it has taken or may take in the future with respect thereto; the impact of the company's acquisitions, including its proposed merger with ArcherDX, as well as its partnerships and product offerings; and the company's beliefs regarding the growth of its business, its position and impact on the genetic testing industry, its success in executing on its mission and strategy, and the benefits of genetic testing. Forward-looking statements are subject to risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially, and reported results should not be considered as an indication of future performance. These risks and uncertainties include, but are not limited to: the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the company, and the effectiveness of the efforts it has taken or may take in the future in response thereto; the company's ability to continue to grow its business, including internationally; the company's history of losses; the company's ability to compete; the company's failure to manage growth effectively; the company's need to scale its infrastructure in advance of demand for its tests and to increase demand for its tests; the risk that the company may not obtain or maintain sufficient levels of reimbursement for its tests; the ability of Invitae and ArcherDX to obtain the approval of Invitae's and ArcherDX's stockholders, and to satisfy the other conditions to the closing of the acquisition and related financing transactions on a timely basis or at all; the occurrence of events that may give rise to a right of one or both of Invitae and ArcherDX to terminate the merger agreement; the company's failure to successfully integrate or fully realize the anticipated benefits of acquired businesses; the company's ability to use rapidly changing genetic data to interpret test results accurately and consistently; security breaches, loss of data and other disruptions; laws and regulations applicable to the company's business; and the other risks set forth in the company's Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended March 31, 2020. These forward-looking statements speak only as of the date hereof, and Invitae Corporation disclaims any obligation to update these forward-looking statements.
Non-GAAP Financial MeasuresTo supplement Invitae's consolidated financial statements prepared in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles in the United States (GAAP), the company is providing several non-GAAP measures, including non-GAAP gross profit, non-GAAP cost of revenue, non-GAAP operating expense, including non-GAAP research and development, non-GAAP selling and marketing, non-GAAP general and administrative and non-GAAP other income (expense), net, as well as non-GAAP net loss and non-GAAP net loss per share and non-GAAP cash burn. These non-GAAP financial measures are not based on any standardized methodology prescribed by GAAP and are not necessarily comparable to similarly-titled measures presented by other companies. Management believes these non-GAAP financial measures are useful to investors in evaluating the company's ongoing operating results and trends.
Management is excluding from some or all of its non-GAAP operating results (1) amortization of acquired intangible assets, (2) acquisition-related stock-based compensation related to inducement grants, (3) post-combination expense related to the acceleration of equity grants or bonus payments in connection with the company's business combinations, (4) adjustments to the fair value of our acquisition-related liabilities and (5) acquisition-related income tax benefits. These non-GAAP financial measures are limited in value because they exclude certain items that may have a material impact on the reported financial results. Management accounts for this limitation by analyzing results on a GAAP basis as well as a non-GAAP basis and also by providing GAAP measures in the company's public disclosures.
Cash burn excludes (1) changes in marketable securities, (2) cash received from equity financings and (3) cash received from exercises of warrants. Management believes cash burn is a liquidity measure that provides useful information to management and investors about the amount of cash consumed by the operations of the business. A limitation of using this non-GAAP measure is that cash burn does not represent the total change in cash, cash equivalents, and restricted cash for the period because it excludes cash provided by or used for other operating, investing or financing activities. Management accounts for this limitation by providing information about the company's operating, investing and financing activities in the statements of cash flows in the consolidated financial statements in the company's most recent Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q and Annual Report on Form 10-K and by presenting net cash provided by (used in) operating, investing and financing activities as well as the net increase or decrease in cash, cash equivalents and restricted cash in its reconciliation of cash burn.
In addition, other companies, including companies in the same industry, may not use the same non-GAAP measures or may calculate these metrics in a different manner than management or may use other financial measures to evaluate their performance, all of which could reduce the usefulness of these non-GAAP measures as comparative measures. Because of these limitations, the company's non-GAAP financial measures should not be considered in isolation from, or as a substitute for, financial information prepared in accordance with GAAP. Investors are encouraged to review the non-GAAP reconciliations provided in the tables below.
Consolidated Balance Sheets
Cash and cash equivalents
Prepaid expenses and other current assets
Total current assets
Property and equipment, net
Operating lease assets
Intangible assets, net
Liabilities and stockholders' equity
Operating lease obligations
Finance lease obligations
Total current liabilities
Operating lease obligations, net of current portion
Finance lease obligations, net of current portion
Convertible senior notes, net
Deferred tax liability
Other long-term liabilities
- Gene experts claim they identified human genes that can protect against Covid-19 - CNBC - November 23rd, 2020
- Genome Medical Reaches 90 Million Covered Lives in US - PRNewswire - November 23rd, 2020
- Sarepta Therapeutics Named One of The Boston Globe's Top Places to Work 2020 - GlobeNewswire - November 23rd, 2020
- Major new study unveils complexity and vast diversity of Africa's genetic variation - The Conversation CA - November 23rd, 2020
- New Study Highlights the Importance of Genetic Testing for Pancreatic Cancer Patients - PRNewswire - November 23rd, 2020
- Baylor Genetics Launches Combination Test for COVID-19 and Influenza A and B; Multi-Panel Test Seeks to Address Dilemma of "Overlapping symptoms... - November 23rd, 2020
- CHOP Researchers Reverse Severe Lymphatic Disorder in Patient with Noonan Syndrome by Targeting Genetic Pathway - BioSpace - November 23rd, 2020
- Myriad Genetics Announces Global Expansion of Myriad myChoice Tumor Testing in Europe and China - GlobeNewswire - November 23rd, 2020
- Epigenetics and pulmonary diseases in the horizon of precision medicine: a review - DocWire News - November 23rd, 2020
- Four years after landing in US, graduating ISU senior is on his way to medical school - Iowa State University News Service - November 23rd, 2020
- Lethal brain infections in mice thwarted by decoy molecule - Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis - November 23rd, 2020
- Reducing barriers to mainstream gene therapy - BioPharma-Reporter.com - September 4th, 2020
- Mapping Genetic Diversity of Lung Tumors Over Time May Lead to More Effective Therapies - UCSF News Services - September 4th, 2020
- Multi-site study to evaluate the role of testing guidelines in ensuring access to genetic information for men with prostate cancer - PRNewswire - September 4th, 2020
- Global Prime Editing Market to Witness Heightened Growth During the Period 2020 2030 - The Daily Chronicle - September 4th, 2020
- Liquid biopsies to disrupt the oncology testing market - Medical Device Network - September 4th, 2020
- Global RNA-interference (RNAi) Market Growth, Trends and Forecasts to 2025: Focus on Key Players Alnylam Pharmaceuticals, Arrowhead, Quark... - September 4th, 2020
- Yale researchers find a cause and possible treatment for Fragile X - Yale News - September 4th, 2020
- 'Coming into their own': FDA approval of liquid biopsy tests puts early, less invasive cancer detection in broader reach - USA TODAY - September 4th, 2020
- Fusion Genes Associated With More Aggressive Papillary Thyroid Cancer in Pediatric Patients - Targeted Oncology - September 4th, 2020
- Existing Class of Drugs May Improve Neurological Function in Patients with Rare, Aggressive Genetic Disorder - Newswise - September 4th, 2020
- Genomic analysis reveals insights on virulent, emerging foodborne pathogen - UB Now: News and views for UB faculty and staff - University at Buffalo... - September 4th, 2020
- Hyperthyroidism is associated with breast cancer risk and mammographic and genetic risk predictors - 2 Minute Medicine - September 4th, 2020
- Health history platform launches to trace genetic conditions | Digital Healthcare - Healthcare Global - Healthcare News, Magazine and Website - September 4th, 2020
- New HIV Gene Therapy, CAR-T Treatments Could be on the Horizon for Patients - BioSpace - September 4th, 2020
- Cell Suicide Gene Further Linked to Immunotherapy Response - Technology Networks - September 2nd, 2020
- Genetic mutations may be linked to infertility, early menopause - Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis - September 2nd, 2020
- How to use precision medicine to personalise COVID-19 treatment according to the patient's genes - Down To Earth Magazine - September 2nd, 2020
- UCT professors research offers hope of treatment for sickle cell anaemia - Daily Maverick - September 2nd, 2020
- Association of recent stressful life events with mental and physical health in the context of genomic and exposomic liability for schizophrenia - 2... - September 2nd, 2020
- Finding order in the chaos of cancer mutations - Drug Target Review - September 2nd, 2020
- Mustang Bio Announces Orphan Drug Designation for MB-107 for the Treatment of X-linked Severe Combined Immunodeficiency in Newly Diagnosed Infants -... - September 2nd, 2020
- Novavax Announces Publication of Phase 1 Data for COVID-19 Vaccine Candidate in The New England Journal of Medicine - GlobeNewswire - September 2nd, 2020
- Department of Genetic Medicine | Johns Hopkins Medicine - August 10th, 2020
- Genetic Medicine | Internal Medicine | Michigan Medicine ... - August 10th, 2020
- Genetic Medicine | Department of Medicine - August 10th, 2020
- Genomics and Medicine - Genome.gov - August 10th, 2020
- New Approach to Treating Osteoarthritis Advances | NYU Langone News - NYU Langone Health - August 10th, 2020
- Stoke Therapeutics Reports Second Quarter Financial Results and Provides Business Updates - Business Wire - August 10th, 2020
- Here's Why Shares of Editas Medicine and Beam Therapeutics Are Soaring Today - Motley Fool - August 10th, 2020
- Grant will fund study into COVID outcome disparities in NYC - Cornell Chronicle - August 10th, 2020
- A versatile genetic control system in mammalian cells and mice responsive to clinically licensed sodium ferulate - Science Advances - August 10th, 2020
- Spark Therapeutics Deepens Drug Development Expertise in Hematology and Rare Disease with Appointment of Gallia G. Levy, MD, Ph.D., as Chief Medical... - August 10th, 2020
- Chromosomal Rearrangements Associated with Chemotherapeutic Drug Resistance | McDonnell Boehnen Hulbert & Berghoff LLP - JD Supra - August 10th, 2020
- Jae Jung, Ph.D., Appointed as Chair of Cleveland Clinic Lerner Research Institute's Department of Cancer Biology - Health Essentials from Cleveland... - August 10th, 2020
- The UK and TCELS to jointly support COVID-19 research in Thailand - GOV.UK - August 10th, 2020
- Akouos Announces Expansion of Executive Team and Board of Directors - BioSpace - August 10th, 2020
- Medical and neurobehavioural phenotypes in male and female carriers of Xp22.31 duplications in the UK Biobank. - Physician's Weekly - August 10th, 2020
- Coronavirus vaccine breakthrough: New generation cure that stops virus developed - Express - August 10th, 2020
- Global Cell and Gene Therapy Market, Forecast to 2025 by Product, Disease, End-user and Region - COVID-19 Updated - PRNewswire - August 10th, 2020
- Not Everyone Needs 8 Hours of Sleep, New Research Reveals | Time - TIME - August 10th, 2020
- Lindsey Criswell Named Director of National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases - UCSF News Services - August 10th, 2020
- Pinpointing The Cells That Keep The Bodys Master Circadian Clock Ticking - Newswise - August 10th, 2020
- Kazia Therapeutics hits A$1 on grant of Rare Pediatric Disease Designation to paxalisib for DIPG - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - August 10th, 2020
- Treatment Considerations for Prostate Cancer Progressing After Combination Therapy for mCSPC - UroToday - August 10th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of PSNL.OQ earnings conference call or presentation 6-Aug-20 9:00pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - August 10th, 2020
- Ovid and Angelini partner on treating Angelman syndrome in Europe - Pharmaceutical Technology - August 10th, 2020
- Doctoral Student/Research Assistant in Mitochondrial Biology and Signalling job with UNIVERSITY OF HELSINKI | 218596 - Times Higher Education (THE) - August 10th, 2020
- Simpler COVID-19 test could provide results in hours from saliva - University of Wisconsin-Madison - August 10th, 2020
- This company has a better version of a simpler, faster Covid-19 test - STAT - August 7th, 2020
- Mental Notes: Music Cognition Lab is dedicated to the scientific study of how music affects the brain and behavior - Vanderbilt University News - August 6th, 2020
- Nasha Fitter Elected to Board of Directors of the ACMG Foundation for Genetic and Genomic Medicine - PRNewswire - August 5th, 2020
- HDAC6 Can Control Tumor Growth and Halt Metastasis in Triple-Negative Breast Cancer - Newswise - August 5th, 2020
- Will programming a cell ever be as easy as programming an app? - SynBioBeta - August 5th, 2020
- Penn Researchers Identify New Genetic Cause of a Form of Inherited Neuropathy - Newswise - August 5th, 2020
- Genetic Variant in Persons of African Descent Linked with Stroke: Analysis - DocWire News - August 5th, 2020
- Noel R. Rose, widely regarded as the father of autoimmune disease research, dies at 92 - The Hub at Johns Hopkins - August 5th, 2020
- Atsena Therapeutics acquires exclusive rights to Gene Therapy for GUCY2D-associated Leber Congenital Amaurosis - GlobeNewswire - August 5th, 2020
- Seragon Announces GenomeScore, the First AI Platform to Measure Rate of Aging and Physiological Changes - PRNewswire - August 5th, 2020
- Vaccine 'durability': COVID-19 immunizations coming soon but will they last? - Genetic Literacy Project - August 5th, 2020
- Aerpio Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Announces a Second Clinical Trial with Funding from MTEC to Evaluate Razuprotafib for the Prevention and Treatment of... - August 5th, 2020
- Stoke Therapeutics to Present at Upcoming Investor Conferences in August - Business Wire - August 4th, 2020
- The global cell and gene therapy market by revenue is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 30.90% during the period 20192025 - GlobeNewswire - August 4th, 2020
- Cochlear implant uses LEDs to tackle hearing loss - Optics.org - August 4th, 2020
- Rozlytrek, Roche's first tumour-agnostic therapy, approved in Europe for people with NTRK fusion-positive solid tumours and for people with... - August 4th, 2020
- Alnylam Pharmaceuticals : Submits CTA Application for ALN-HSD, an Investigational RNAi Therapeutic for the Treatment of Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis -... - August 4th, 2020
- 'The younger the child, the likelier to find causative gene of infant epilepsy' - Korea Biomedical Review - Korea Biomedical Review - August 3rd, 2020
- Known genes associated with male infertility doubled - BioNews - August 3rd, 2020
- Alnylam Submits CTA Application for ALN-HSD, an Investigational RNAi Therapeutic for the Treatment of Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis (NASH) - Business... - August 3rd, 2020
- Cancer drug is first therapy to emerge from 23andMe-GSK deal - STAT - STAT - August 3rd, 2020