RPC, Inc.s RES troubles seem to be never ending. The oilfield service provider, which has lost 51.4% of its value over the past year, is traversing rough waters amid several headwinds.The struggle is likely to continue as the companys prospects appear bleak, in view of lower expenditure from upstream companies.
The pricing chart shows that RPC has underperformed the ZacksOil And Gas - Field Servicesindustry, which has declined 29.4% in the past year.
Lets delve into the factors that have taken a toll on the firm.
Intensified competition in the domestic market has left limited room for oilfield services companies to charge premium prices for the services being offered. Moreover, slowdown of demand for pressure pumping services in shale plays mars RPCs prospects. This is evident from third-quarter 2019 results, wherein weakness stemmed from lower activity levels and pricing in the companys pressure pumping service business, which in turn affected the bottom line. Also, pressure pumping is likely to remain soft in North America. This business being RPCs biggest service line, the firms business outlook appears gloomy.
Explorers and producers are constrained by the reduction in capacity for borrowings and an increase in the cost of capital. Also, explorers are facing constant pressure from investors for higher returns instead of production growth. These headwinds are likely to lower investments by explorers and producers in the North American land market. Hence, conservative spending by customers is likely to hurt demand for the companys services.
Commodity prices will continue to remain in the bearish territory as demand for energy remains low, owing to a slowdown in global economic growth. Thus, explorers and producers are not getting enough incentives to produce hydrocarbon volumes in a massive scale. The drop in production volumes will likely keep demand for oilfield services low.
The Oil and Gas - Field Services industry currently has a Zacks Industry Rank of 239 out of 255 (Bottom 6%). As the industry is not expected to perform impressively in the coming days, the stock will likely underperform the market.
The above-mentioned factors are being reflected in the companys downward earnings estimate revisions.
Earnings Estimate Revisions
The Zacks Consensus Estimate for RPCs 2019 loss is pegged at 17 cents, which has witnessed no upward movement but 10 downside estimate revisions in the past 60 days. This suggests fall of 120.7% from the year-ago reported figure.
Given these headwinds, RPC seems a risky bet that investors should avoid at the moment. This is reflected in its Zacks Rank #5 (Strong Sell).
Stocks to Consider
Some better-ranked stocks in the energy sector include CNX Resources Corporation CNX, Antero Midstream Corporation AM and Frank's International N.V. FI, each carrying a Zacks Rank #2 (Buy). You can seethe complete list of todays Zacks #1 Rank (Strong Buy) stocks here.
CNX Resources earnings for the current year have witnessed four upward revisions in the past 60 days versus no movement in the opposite direction.
Antero Midstreams bottom line for the current quarter is expected to skyrocket 130% year over year.
Frank's Internationals bottom line for 2019 is expected to rise 23.8% year over year.
Biggest Tech Breakthrough in a Generation
Be among the early investors in the new type of device that experts say could impact society as much as the discovery of electricity. Current technology will soon be outdated and replaced by these new devices. In the process, its expected to create 22 million jobs and generate $12.3 trillion in activity.
A select few stocks could skyrocket the most as rollout accelerates for this new tech. Early investors could see gains similar to buying Microsoft in the 1990s. Zacks just-released special report reveals 8 stocks to watch. The report is only available for a limited time.
See 8 breakthrough stocks now>>
Antero Midstrm (AM): Free Stock Analysis Report
CNX Resources Corporation. (CNX): Free Stock Analysis Report
RPC, Inc. (RES): Free Stock Analysis Report
Frank's International N.V. (FI): Free Stock Analysis Report
To read this article on Zacks.com click here.
Zacks Investment Research
The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.
- Myriad Announces Partnership with OptraHEALTH to Deliver Gene a New AI Based Information Tool for Hereditary Cancer Patients - BioSpace - July 6th, 2020
- Children's National Medical Center and AWS partner for genome project targeting COVID-19 - SiliconANGLE - July 6th, 2020
- Sarepta Therapeutics Announces Retirement of Sandy Mahatme, Chief Financial Officer and Chief Business Officer - BioSpace - July 6th, 2020
- Movers & Shakers, July 3 | BioSpace - BioSpace - July 6th, 2020
- The Future of Medicine Is Bespoke - Fair Observer - July 6th, 2020
- July: Genome sequencing rare diseases | News and features - University of Bristol - July 6th, 2020
- Dropping Race-Based eGFR Adjustment Gains Traction in US - Medscape - July 6th, 2020
- A New Generation of Coronavirus Tests Is Coming. Here's What to Expect. - The New York Times - July 6th, 2020
- Fine-tuning brain activity reverses memory problems in mice with autism mutation - Spectrum - July 6th, 2020
- Male fruit flies' decline in fertility with age is not only driven by changes in sperm - Mirage News - July 6th, 2020
- In the Future, Lab Mice Will Live in Computer Chips, Not Cages - Medscape - July 6th, 2020
- For cancer treatment and more, genetic-based precision medicine holds a lot of promise - Connecticut Magazine - May 31st, 2020
- Drug factories: GMOs and gene editing are poised to transform medicine. Here's how. - Genetic Literacy Project - May 31st, 2020
- How to know your risk factors for hypertension and whether high blood pressure is genetic - Insider - INSIDER - May 31st, 2020
- Venture capital found its footing in biotech. Then came the virus. - BioPharma Dive - May 31st, 2020
- Israeli Lab: Drugs For Gaucher Disease May Work Against Coronavirus, Other Viral Infections | Health News - NoCamels - Israeli Innovation News - May 31st, 2020
- Rapid Growth on Genetic Testing Market with COVID-19 Impact Analysis, Top Key Companies like Abbott Laboratories Bio-Rad Laboratories Inc.,... - May 31st, 2020
- insideHPC Special Report: HPC and AI for the Era of Genomics - insideHPC - May 31st, 2020
- More insight into the cytokine storm caused by Covid-19 could lead to a treatment - Health24 - May 31st, 2020
- UCalgary researchers launch 360-degree study of children and COVID-19 - UCalgary News - May 31st, 2020
- 4000 Years of contact, conflict and cultural change had little genetic impact in Near East - University of Birmingham - May 31st, 2020
- Precision Medicine Market Overview By Growing Demands, Trends And Business Opportunities 2020 To 2027 - Cole of Duty - May 31st, 2020
- NOT REAL NEWS: A look at what didn't happen this week - wausaupilotandreview.com - May 31st, 2020
- Precision Medicine Informs Cost-Effective Heart Disease Treatments - HealthITAnalytics.com - May 19th, 2020
- Colonizing Mars may require humanity to tweak its DNA - Space.com - May 19th, 2020
- Complement genes add to sex-based vulnerability in lupus and schizophrenia - Newswise - May 19th, 2020
- 23andMe Is Trying to Crack the Genetic Code Behind the Coronavirus - Motley Fool - May 19th, 2020
- Global Molecular Diagnostics Industry 2019-2029: Genetic Disorders, Cardiovascular Disorders, Infections and Cancer - Yahoo Finance UK - May 19th, 2020
- Prominent Cancer Researcher to Join DRI and Renown Health - GlobeNewswire - May 19th, 2020
- Research Roundup: HIV vaccination, diabetes two-in-one injection, hybrid fish genetics - The Stanford Daily - May 19th, 2020
- Singapore researches discover specific gene linked to Asian Lung Cancer - BSA bureau - May 19th, 2020
- Grant will help scientists break new ground in gene editing - Newswise - May 19th, 2020
- Genomic Medicine Market 2020 | Know the Latest COVID19 Impact Analysis And Strategies of Key Players: Ingersoll Rand, Johnson Controls, Daikin, United... - May 19th, 2020
- Dyne Therapeutics Accelerates Programs in Facioscapulohumeral Muscular Dystrophy (FSHD) with Exclusive Licensing of Technologies to Target Genetic... - May 19th, 2020
- Coronavirus immunity passports could create a world of 'us and them'. But here's why they make sense - Genetic Literacy Project - May 19th, 2020
- New Stem Cell-Based Topical Solution Helps Bald People Regrow Hair - SciTechDaily - May 19th, 2020
- Scientists race to find a cure or vaccine for the coronavirus. Here are the top drugs in development - CNBC - May 19th, 2020
- WHITEHALL ANALYTICA THE AI SUPERSTATE: Part 2 Is COVID-19 Fast-Tracking a Eugenics-Inspired Genomics Programme in the NHS? - Byline Times - May 19th, 2020
- CRISPR And CRISPR-Associated (Cas) Genes Market Size, Share, Trends and Forecast 2026 by Major Players and Business Opportunities Caribou... - May 19th, 2020
- Researchers: Disease affecting kids could be in the genes - Newsday - May 19th, 2020
- From Competition To Sharing: How Her Childrens Rare Disease Led Sharon Terry To Revolutionize Medical Research - Forbes - May 9th, 2020
- Infection rates may have links to cancer - Medical News Today - May 9th, 2020
- Twin peeks: Stanford inherits twin registry, expanding research options - Stanford Medical Center Report - May 9th, 2020
- Management of Fertility and Hormonal Health in Women at Risk for Hereditary Gynecologic Cancers - Endocrinology Advisor - May 9th, 2020
- Individualized mosaics of microbial strains transfer from the maternal to the infant gut - Newswise - May 9th, 2020
- The Falsehoods of the 'Plandemic' Video - FactCheck.org - May 9th, 2020
- Its in your genes Whether Covid lands you in hospital or not depends on your body - ThePrint - May 9th, 2020
- FDA approves Tabrecta, first targeted therapy to treat metastatic NSCLC - The Cancer Letter - May 9th, 2020
- Research into the health of unborn babies receives government funding - UNSW Newsroom - May 9th, 2020
- Genetics and Weight: Is There an Obesity Gene? - LIVESTRONG.COM - May 9th, 2020
- New medical foundation invests in COVID-19 research funding - News - The University of Sydney - May 9th, 2020
- What Do Your Genetics Have to Do With Your Chances of Dying From Coronavirus? - Vanity Fair - May 3rd, 2020
- Scientists Find New Way to Inject Plants With Medicine, And It May Help Save Our Crops - ScienceAlert - May 3rd, 2020
- Sarepta Therapeutics Announces Research Agreement with US Department of Defense to Evaluate Multiple Constructs From its Proprietary RNA Platform as... - May 3rd, 2020
- Evanston hospitals expand to antibody testing - The Daily Northwestern - May 3rd, 2020
- Profits and Pride at Stake, the Race for a Vaccine Intensifies - The New York Times - May 3rd, 2020
- Data On Thousands Of Twins Reveals How Genetics Influences Covid-19 Symptoms - IFLScience - May 3rd, 2020
- The pieces of the puzzle of covid-19s origin are coming to light - The Economist - May 3rd, 2020
- LIST: UW awards $2.2 million to groups, scientists fighting the coronavirus in Wisconsin - WMTV - May 3rd, 2020
- World Laughter Day 2020: Why we must remember that laughter is indeed the best medicine - Hindustan Times - May 3rd, 2020
- When COVID-19 Mutates, What Are the Risks? - MedicineNet - May 3rd, 2020
- Facts that China is trying to suppress about origin of COVID-19 - WION - May 3rd, 2020
- COVID-19: What's RNA research got to do with it? - University of Rochester - May 3rd, 2020
- Medical, tech investments pay off in Covid-19 war - The Straits Times - May 3rd, 2020
- Welcome to the kingdom of the sick - Salon - May 3rd, 2020
- Safety considerations with chloroquine, hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin in the management of SARS-CoV-2 infection - CMAJ - May 3rd, 2020
- XBiotech Identifies Super Bloods for the Development of a True Human COVID-19 Therapy - GlobeNewswire - May 3rd, 2020
- On National DNA Day, scientists are trying to take the colonialism out of genetics - Massive Science - April 26th, 2020
- Turning On the 'Off Switch' in Cancer Cells - Michigan Medicine - April 26th, 2020
- Turkey's top scientific body invests TL 2.3 billion on 16 vaccine projects over 5 years | Daily Sabah - Daily Sabah - April 26th, 2020
- Covid-19 will pass. What about the racism it has illuminated? - STAT - April 26th, 2020
- Infection Rate May Indicate a Future Diagnosis of Cancer - Cancer Network - April 26th, 2020
- Misleading coronavirus information falsely attributed to Johns Hopkins - AFP Factcheck - April 26th, 2020
- He signed up for a coronavirus vaccine trial using a method that's never been used in humans. Here's why. - CNN - April 26th, 2020
- New study could lead to therapeutic interventions to treat cocaine addiction - Newswise - April 26th, 2020
- As Cuomo Issues New Executive Order, Weill Cornell Medicine Ramps Up COVID-19 Testing - Cornell University The Cornell Daily Sun - April 26th, 2020
- Another Step Towards Earlier Detection of Pancreatic Cancer - MedPage Today - April 26th, 2020
- UW president, biochemistry chair and mathematics professor named to American Academy of Arts and Sciences - UW News - April 26th, 2020
- Mustang Bio Receives Advanced Therapy Medicinal Product Classification from European Medicines Agency for MB-107 Lentiviral Gene Therapy for X-Linked... - April 26th, 2020
- Childhood Psychopathology Linked to Higher Levels of Genetic Vulnerability of Adult Depression - Clinical OMICs News - April 26th, 2020