Mohamed Elrashed Shogar, graduating in genetics, stands inside a Molecular Biology Building laboratory where he has conducted much of his undergraduate research. Photo by Christopher Gannon. Larger image. All photos and videos were shot following physical distancing guidelines, and with staff wearing face coverings.
AMES, Iowa A headache started Mohamed Shogars journey to a career in medicine.
His mothers relentless headaches forced her to travel more than 900 miles from their home to Sudans capital, Khartoum, for treatment. She never found relief, and it frustrated Shogar, who is graduating from Iowa State University next weekend with a bachelors degree in genetics.
Shes the reason, Shogar said. She motivated me to pursue a career in medicine.
He was also bothered by the physician shortage in his hometown of Al Fashir. Shogar noticed the same physician shortage when he arrived in the United States and again thought, Why not pursue a career in medicine to help them out?
Shogars mother has a Ph.D. and his father is a high school principal. Education was the biggest priority for his family. So, after graduating high school, Shogar came to the U.S. in 2016.
After traveling to Egypt to meet with the U.S. ambassador and receive a green card, Shogar was on his way.
The first time, when I landed in Chicago, I was so overwhelmed, he said. I didnt know what to expect. I didnt know the language or the culture. I had just finished high school, and the future wasnt clear to me.
He headed to Cedar Rapids, where he lived with his cousin for a few months and talked to newfound friends about his educational options in the state. One friend suggested starting out at a community college before heading to a four-year university. So, Shogar enrolled at Kirkwood Community College and took English as a Second Language classes while working full time at the Nordstrom warehouse. He gained medical experience as a phlebotomist at Mercy Medical Center in Cedar Rapids before taking some courses at the University of Iowa.
In 2018, he transferred to Iowa State to finish his genetics degree. At the same time, hes worked as a phlebotomist at Mary Greeley Medical Center.
I wouldnt have done it without the people who helped me out, he said. Im so grateful for them.
During his first semester in Ames, Shogar had to take organic chemistry considered one of the most difficult courses at Iowa State. He struggled during the first exam and felt defeated. But he went to the office of chemistry professor Arthur Winter for help. They talked about college courses generally, and how to study. On Shogars next organic chemistry exam, he received a near-perfect score.
Shogar found community and friendship in his classes as well as student organizations, such as the Sudan United Association and the Minority Association for Pre-Health Students.
He typically travels back to Sudan every winter to visit his family, but with the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and his post-graduation plans, that visit is on hold. Right now, hes in the midst of the nerve-wracking process of applying to medical schools.
Shogar said going to school and working through the pandemic has been mentally and emotionally draining.
It also had an impact on my education journey, he said. I was not able to shadow and volunteer, which is a very important part in medical school applications.
He also found a mentor in Mark Hargrove, Morrill Professor of biochemistry, biophysics and molecular biology (BBMB), who talked with Shogar about his plans after graduation. To build his research experience, Gordon connected Shogar with Alan DiSpirito, professor of BBMB, whose lab works with methanobactin to study its effects on Wilsons disease, a genetic disorder that causes excessive copper build-up in the body.
This has been an amazing experience, honestly, Shogar said. Its been such a welcoming environment.
The opportunities that I got here, I dont think I would be able to get in Sudan. In terms of the quality of education, I cant even compare it.
View original post here:
- Precision Medicine Platform Aims to Advance Cancer Gene Therapies - HealthITAnalytics.com - February 11th, 2021
- Celebrate the Third Annual Medical Genetics Awareness Week April 13-16, 2021 - PRNewswire - February 11th, 2021
- The race to treat a rare, fatal syndrome may help others with common disorders like diabetes - Science Magazine - February 11th, 2021
- Myriad Genetics to Participate in Multiple Upcoming Health and Technology Conferences - GlobeNewswire - February 11th, 2021
- Neurons from patient blood cells enable researchers to test treatments for genetic brain disease - Brown University - February 11th, 2021
- The science behind those afternoon naps Harvard Gazette - Harvard Gazette - February 11th, 2021
- Ensoma Launches to Pioneer Next-Generation In Vivo Approach to Deliver First Off-the-shelf Genomic Medicines - Business Wire - February 11th, 2021
- Im 28 and I Dont Know My Family HistoryHeres How That Affects My Health - Well+Good - February 11th, 2021
- Ensoma Launches with $70 Million Series A and Takeda Licensing Deal - BioSpace - February 11th, 2021
- Response to Cancer Immunotherapy May Be Affected by Genes We Carry from Birth - UCSF News Services - February 11th, 2021
- NeuBase Therapeutics Reports Financial Results for the First Quarter of Fiscal Year 2021 - GlobeNewswire - February 11th, 2021
- PM Modi Waives off Rs 6 Crore Tax on Imported Medicine for 6-month-old Baby Girl from Mumbai - News18 - February 11th, 2021
- GeneSight Psychotropic Test's Combinatorial Approach Proves Better than Single-Gene Testing at Predicting Patient Outcomes and Medication Blood Levels... - February 11th, 2021
- Reflections on the 20th Anniversary of the First Publication of the Human Genome - Scientific American - February 11th, 2021
- Stem Cell Study Illuminates the Cause of a Devastating Inherited Heart Disorder - Newswise - February 1st, 2021
- Mysterious untreatable fevers once devastated whole families. This doctor discovered what caused them - CNN - February 1st, 2021
- Decibel Therapeutics and Invitae Announce Launch of Amplify Genetic Testing Program - BioSpace - February 1st, 2021
- CCMB team identifies variants of genes that metabolise drugs - BusinessLine - February 1st, 2021
- Digbi Health's gut-microbiome and genetic-based obesity management program now allows 60,000 Doctors and Providers in Blue Shield of California's... - February 1st, 2021
- Copy number variations linked to autism have diverse but overlapping effects - Spectrum - February 1st, 2021
- Are Gene Therapies the Medicine of the Future? - BioSpace - February 1st, 2021
- Exploring the Relationship Between the Microbiome, Precision Medicine and Cancer - Technology Networks - February 1st, 2021
- Press Registration Is Now Open for the 2021 ACMG Annual Clinical Genetics Meeting - A Virtual Experience - PRNewswire - February 1st, 2021
- 4 New Life Sciences Licensing Deals and Investments to Watch - BioSpace - February 1st, 2021
- CRISPR Mutants - The Dawn of CRISPR Mutants - SAPIENS - SAPIENS - February 1st, 2021
- SMART Study Finds 22q11.2 Microdeletion Prevalence Much Higher than Expected - PRNewswire - February 1st, 2021
- Genomes, Maps, And How They Affect You - IFLScience - February 1st, 2021
- Are Phages Overlooked Mediators of Health and Disease? - The Scientist - February 1st, 2021
- Two Gene Therapies Fix Fault in Sickle Cell Disease and -thalassemia - MD Magazine - February 1st, 2021
- The First Targeted Therapy For Lung Cancer Patients With The KRAS Gene MutationExtraordinary Results With Sotorasib - SurvivorNet - February 1st, 2021
- Atsena Therapeutics Raises $55 Million Series A Financing to Advance LCA1 Gene Therapy Clinical Program, Two Preclinical Assets, and Novel Capsid... - December 17th, 2020
- Locanabio Announces $100 Million Series B Financing to Advance Portfolio of Novel RNA-Targeted Gene Therapies for Neurodegenerative, Neuromuscular and... - December 17th, 2020
- NeuBase Therapeutics Announces Positive Preclinical In Vivo Data for PATrOL-enabled Anti-gene for the Treatment of Myotonic Dystrophy Type 1 -... - December 17th, 2020
- Genetic Analysis Services Market: Uptake of Next-generation Sequencing and Multi-gene Tests to Drive Market - BioSpace - December 17th, 2020
- FDA Clears Genetic Modification in Pigs for Biomedicine and Food - The Scientist - December 17th, 2020
- Key Genes Related to Severe COVID-19 Infection Identified - The Scientist - December 17th, 2020
- UNLV Researcher on the Curious Case of COVID-19 Reinfection - UNLV NewsCenter - December 17th, 2020
- Genomics and medicine it's complicated | Health | willistonherald.com - Williston Daily Herald - December 17th, 2020
- Emedgene collaborates with Illumina to scale the interpretation of genomic data for rare diseases - PRNewswire - December 17th, 2020
- Polymerase Chain Reaction Market | Increased Outbreak of Infectious Diseases to Accentuate Demand in the Market - BioSpace - December 17th, 2020
- LogicBio Therapeutics names Daphne Karydas and Jeff Goater to Board of Directors - BioSpace - December 17th, 2020
- rBIO Achieves Crucial Milestone on Mission to Lower the Cost of Insulin by 30% - BioSpace - December 17th, 2020
- Report: More than 1,300 Medicines and Vaccines in Development to Help Fight Cancer - PRNewswire - December 17th, 2020
- San Diego's Locanabio raises $100 million for treatments aimed at degenerative diseases - The San Diego Union-Tribune - December 17th, 2020
- Worldwide SNP Genotyping Industry to 2025 - Pharmacogenomics Led the End-user Segment of the SNP Genotyping Market - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business... - December 17th, 2020
- Potential Weakness in SARS-CoV-2 Discovered Single Protein Needed for COVID-19 Virus to Reproduce and Spread - SciTechDaily - December 17th, 2020
- Landing of $75M expansion of Texas-based Taysha adds to Triangle's growing gene therapy hub - WRAL Tech Wire - December 17th, 2020
- Track the Vax: What Do We Need to Know About the New Vaccines? - Everyday Health - December 17th, 2020
- Medical history from the year you were born - Quad City Times - December 5th, 2020
- Sarepta Therapeutics to Share Clinical Update for SRP-5051, its Investigational PPMO for the Treatment of Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy - GlobeNewswire - December 5th, 2020
- Biochip Market | Increased Popularity of Personalized Medicine to Boost the Market Growth | Technavio - Business Wire - December 5th, 2020
- December: Baby birth weight research | News and features - University of Bristol - December 5th, 2020
- Global Next Generation Sequencing Market (2020 to 2026) - Growth, Trends, Competitive Landscape, and Forecasts - GlobeNewswire - December 5th, 2020
- NIH researchers link cases of ALS and FTD to a mutation associated with Huntington's disease - National Institute on Aging - December 5th, 2020
- Precision Medicine Market Poised to Grow at 11.5% By 20227 - GlobeNewswire - December 5th, 2020
- Fact check: mRNA vaccines kept at very cold temperatures so that they do not break apart; COVID-19 vaccines will not genetically modify humans -... - December 5th, 2020
- Stoke Therapeutics Announces Presentations Related to the Company's Work to Advance STK-001, the First Potential New Medicine to Target the Underlying... - December 5th, 2020
- King George III's illness debunked as symptom 'caused by medicine prescribed to him' - Express - December 5th, 2020
- Stoke Therapeutics to Present at the Needham Virtual Epilepsy & Pain Specialty CNS Therapeutics Conference - Business Wire - December 5th, 2020
- Following the science: the writers who have made sense of Covid - The Guardian - December 5th, 2020
- Gene experts claim they identified human genes that can protect against Covid-19 - CNBC - November 23rd, 2020
- Genome Medical Reaches 90 Million Covered Lives in US - PRNewswire - November 23rd, 2020
- Sarepta Therapeutics Named One of The Boston Globe's Top Places to Work 2020 - GlobeNewswire - November 23rd, 2020
- New Study Highlights the Importance of Genetic Testing for Pancreatic Cancer Patients - PRNewswire - November 23rd, 2020
- Baylor Genetics Launches Combination Test for COVID-19 and Influenza A and B; Multi-Panel Test Seeks to Address Dilemma of "Overlapping symptoms... - November 23rd, 2020
- CHOP Researchers Reverse Severe Lymphatic Disorder in Patient with Noonan Syndrome by Targeting Genetic Pathway - BioSpace - November 23rd, 2020
- Myriad Genetics Announces Global Expansion of Myriad myChoice Tumor Testing in Europe and China - GlobeNewswire - November 23rd, 2020
- Epigenetics and pulmonary diseases in the horizon of precision medicine: a review - DocWire News - November 23rd, 2020
- Lethal brain infections in mice thwarted by decoy molecule - Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis - November 23rd, 2020
- Reducing barriers to mainstream gene therapy - BioPharma-Reporter.com - September 4th, 2020
- Mapping Genetic Diversity of Lung Tumors Over Time May Lead to More Effective Therapies - UCSF News Services - September 4th, 2020
- Multi-site study to evaluate the role of testing guidelines in ensuring access to genetic information for men with prostate cancer - PRNewswire - September 4th, 2020
- Global Prime Editing Market to Witness Heightened Growth During the Period 2020 2030 - The Daily Chronicle - September 4th, 2020
- Liquid biopsies to disrupt the oncology testing market - Medical Device Network - September 4th, 2020
- Global RNA-interference (RNAi) Market Growth, Trends and Forecasts to 2025: Focus on Key Players Alnylam Pharmaceuticals, Arrowhead, Quark... - September 4th, 2020
- Yale researchers find a cause and possible treatment for Fragile X - Yale News - September 4th, 2020
- 'Coming into their own': FDA approval of liquid biopsy tests puts early, less invasive cancer detection in broader reach - USA TODAY - September 4th, 2020
- Fusion Genes Associated With More Aggressive Papillary Thyroid Cancer in Pediatric Patients - Targeted Oncology - September 4th, 2020
- Existing Class of Drugs May Improve Neurological Function in Patients with Rare, Aggressive Genetic Disorder - Newswise - September 4th, 2020
- Genomic analysis reveals insights on virulent, emerging foodborne pathogen - UB Now: News and views for UB faculty and staff - University at Buffalo... - September 4th, 2020