PizzaGate's unfounded claim emerged during the 2016 election. Later that year, a gunman appeared and fired an AR-15 inside the pizzeria, saying he was trying to rescue non-existent child sex slaves.
Now, a report from the Internet trust tool NewsGuard has found that the coronavirus pandemic is clearly helping this American ideology establish itself in Europe.
In the report, NewsGuard sees an increase in QAnon groups and social media pages in April, as the blockages caused by the new virus left millions of people practically confined to their homes.
Coronavirus conspiracies increased along with increased infections.
Such claims acted as a "gateway drug" to QAnon, providing Europeans with the "perfect way to" the online sect, Chine Labbe, managing editor for Europe at NewsGuard, told CNN.
QAnon started out as a one-time conspiracy with a cryptic anonymous post on the 4chan online forum in 2017. The person behind this, who followers would later call "Q", made the false claim that Hillary Clinton was going to be arrested. There was no such arrest.
But similar posts fueling other arrest claims and "deep state" actions continued to appear on 4chan. It is unclear who was behind the posts, or whether the same person posted the ones that followed.
QAnon supporters have compared the early posts, and the later posts, with breadcrumbs or "drops," like Hansel and Gretel, as they refer to them.
Followers of QAnon, whose online behavior has been compared by analysts to a virtual cult, spread the unfounded claims, amplifying them with manipulated or out-of-context evidence posted on social media in an attempt to back up the allegations.
Experts fear that the "dedication QAnon supporters have to their beliefs also provides an opportunity for foreign interference to use these narratives to their advantage," Aoife Gallagher, an analyst with the Institute's Digital Research Unit for CNN, told CNN the Strategic Dialogue (ISD).
The move has raised concerns about online bullying. Twitter banned more than 7,000 accounts, citing its policy of taking action on accounts with "the potential to cause harm offline."
But while QAnon has its roots in the US, supporting and disseminating unsubstantiated theories of mass shootings and elections, it has since become an amorphous ideology, appropriating conspiracies from elsewhere that sit with its anti-elite message. .
"It is such an easily translatable framework, because it is so meta," said Labbe. "It is about world elites having a Machiavellian plan, and every country in the world has elites."
This ability to assimilate old hoaxes with new conspiracies around the coronavirus outbreak has found QAnon "a broad group of supporters" beyond the US among some New Agers and the conservative right, Gallagher told CNN.
"It is tangential to the extreme right in the United States, using anti-Semitic tropes and attacking the same people as the extreme right, (but) as it spreads, we are also seeing that it is attractive to (the) left anarchist side, " she said.
QAnon's ability to evolve is not only at risk of seriously "undermining" democracy, due to its damaging narrative about individuals and institutions, but it also "undermines the disclosed official information and could hinder the effort to control the virus." Gallagher added.
QAnon has managed to incorporate the local socio-political concerns of Germany, Italy, France and the United Kingdom into its anti-elite "deep state" narrative, according to the NewsGuard report.
European QAnon groups have gained a large online presence, with the report identifying "448,760 followers or members" on the social media groups it analyzed.
Memberships began to increase in late 2019 and early 2020, particularly once the coronavirus pandemic began to take hold, according to NewsGuard.
According to the report, a French YouTube channel with videos about QAnon has amassed 21,500 subscribers since its inception in April this year. A QAnon Facebook group in the UK, created in the same month, has garnered more than 18,000 followers, according to the report.
National political complaints have found a sounding board in QAnon.
German social media accounts portray Chancellor Angela Merkel "as a 'deep-state puppet' that needs to be overthrown," the report says.
In France, President Emmanuel Macron has been dismissed as "a pawn" in QAnon's French publications.
And QAnon's Italian supporters praised former far-right interior minister Matteo Salvini, but treated the country's centrist prime minister Giuseppe Conte with contempt.
Meanwhile, debates are raging over British QAnon groups on Facebook over whether Prime Minister Boris Johnson has been "installed" by "Q" and is draining the "British swamp" along with United States President Donald Trump.
"In such panel discussions, Brexit and the British government's decision to ban Huawei from UK 5G networks are cited as evidence of Johnson's loyalty to Q," the report writes.
The report finds that QAnon is thriving in Germany. Local ideology-linked social media accounts hit the scene as early as 2018, including what is now a German-language YouTube channel of 99,600 followers and a Facebook group with 30,100 members.
German celebrities have also joined the nexus of conspiracy.
Berlin-based vegan chef Attila Hildmann, who has posted on social media about his support for theories in the QAnon constellation, implored the United States to "liberate" Germany in June 2020, according to the report. Her post, on the Telegram messaging app, falsely claimed that Merkel was working "alongside Gates, the Zionists, the Transhumanists and the Communists" to plan the "genocide of the Germans".
In a statement to CNN, Hildmann said he is not a follower of "Q", but watches the movement "and supports it." He added that "Germany is not a free country, but it is still occupied by the Americans and, therefore, only the great nation of the United States has the power to liberate the Germans from Merkel's reign of terror!"
According to the NewsGuard report, singer Xavier Naidoo has been a "driving force" behind the spread of the conspiracy in Germany, routinely sharing QAnon content with his 84,000 Telegram subscribers. CNN has seen at least five posts it has shared from QAnon groups on Telegram.
When asked to respond to allegations that Naidoo has fueled the spread of QAnon in Germany, a Naidoo spokesman said: "Xavier has nothing to do with QAnon."
A separate analysis by Gallagher at ISD found that QAnon's popularity in Germany coincides with Trump's attacks on NATO and the European Union, a sentiment that draws anti-Atlantic conspiracy groups.
"There is a good appetite for that kind of rhetoric," Gallagher said, adding that German QAnon groups on Telegram, "have seen a huge increase in membership by tens of thousands" since the beginning of 2020.
The theory remains on the fringes of European discourse, but analysts worry that adherents ally with more conventional movements.
According to the NewsGuard report, Facebook groups supporting France's yellow vest movement, or Gilet Jaune, a campaign that began protesting against rising gas prices and has since turned into a larger rally against Macron, "have been particularly interested in Q's narratives recently," the report wrote.
A group from Yellow Vest, which has 196,000 members, shared a QAnon video in July from a French QAnon site, which was created in May. "This shows how in some circles the two fights are interconnecting," Labbe said.
Social media companies have targeted the conspiracy. Three sources familiar with Facebook's work on misinformation told CNN in mid-July that the company plans to take action on QAnon. When CNN contacted this week, Facebook declined to comment.
But the jury does not know if it will stop the spread of ideology. Many say the genie may already be out of the bottle.
Labbe argues that "censorship fuels conspiracies, as soon as you remove the websites, you will find an alternative media platform."
But the opposite is also true. "QAnon flourishes because it is a community where everyone can reinforce their beliefs," said Gallagher. "Facebook groups are one of the main places" where QAnon thrives, he explained. "So it will be interesting to see the next move that Facebook is making."
CNN's Donie O & # 39; Sullivan and Paul P. Murphy contributed to this report.
Follow this link:
- Atsena Therapeutics Raises $55 Million Series A Financing to Advance LCA1 Gene Therapy Clinical Program, Two Preclinical Assets, and Novel Capsid... - December 17th, 2020
- Locanabio Announces $100 Million Series B Financing to Advance Portfolio of Novel RNA-Targeted Gene Therapies for Neurodegenerative, Neuromuscular and... - December 17th, 2020
- NeuBase Therapeutics Announces Positive Preclinical In Vivo Data for PATrOL-enabled Anti-gene for the Treatment of Myotonic Dystrophy Type 1 -... - December 17th, 2020
- Genetic Analysis Services Market: Uptake of Next-generation Sequencing and Multi-gene Tests to Drive Market - BioSpace - December 17th, 2020
- FDA Clears Genetic Modification in Pigs for Biomedicine and Food - The Scientist - December 17th, 2020
- Key Genes Related to Severe COVID-19 Infection Identified - The Scientist - December 17th, 2020
- UNLV Researcher on the Curious Case of COVID-19 Reinfection - UNLV NewsCenter - December 17th, 2020
- Genomics and medicine it's complicated | Health | willistonherald.com - Williston Daily Herald - December 17th, 2020
- Emedgene collaborates with Illumina to scale the interpretation of genomic data for rare diseases - PRNewswire - December 17th, 2020
- Polymerase Chain Reaction Market | Increased Outbreak of Infectious Diseases to Accentuate Demand in the Market - BioSpace - December 17th, 2020
- LogicBio Therapeutics names Daphne Karydas and Jeff Goater to Board of Directors - BioSpace - December 17th, 2020
- rBIO Achieves Crucial Milestone on Mission to Lower the Cost of Insulin by 30% - BioSpace - December 17th, 2020
- Report: More than 1,300 Medicines and Vaccines in Development to Help Fight Cancer - PRNewswire - December 17th, 2020
- San Diego's Locanabio raises $100 million for treatments aimed at degenerative diseases - The San Diego Union-Tribune - December 17th, 2020
- Worldwide SNP Genotyping Industry to 2025 - Pharmacogenomics Led the End-user Segment of the SNP Genotyping Market - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business... - December 17th, 2020
- Potential Weakness in SARS-CoV-2 Discovered Single Protein Needed for COVID-19 Virus to Reproduce and Spread - SciTechDaily - December 17th, 2020
- Landing of $75M expansion of Texas-based Taysha adds to Triangle's growing gene therapy hub - WRAL Tech Wire - December 17th, 2020
- Track the Vax: What Do We Need to Know About the New Vaccines? - Everyday Health - December 17th, 2020
- Medical history from the year you were born - Quad City Times - December 5th, 2020
- Sarepta Therapeutics to Share Clinical Update for SRP-5051, its Investigational PPMO for the Treatment of Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy - GlobeNewswire - December 5th, 2020
- Biochip Market | Increased Popularity of Personalized Medicine to Boost the Market Growth | Technavio - Business Wire - December 5th, 2020
- December: Baby birth weight research | News and features - University of Bristol - December 5th, 2020
- Global Next Generation Sequencing Market (2020 to 2026) - Growth, Trends, Competitive Landscape, and Forecasts - GlobeNewswire - December 5th, 2020
- NIH researchers link cases of ALS and FTD to a mutation associated with Huntington's disease - National Institute on Aging - December 5th, 2020
- Precision Medicine Market Poised to Grow at 11.5% By 20227 - GlobeNewswire - December 5th, 2020
- Fact check: mRNA vaccines kept at very cold temperatures so that they do not break apart; COVID-19 vaccines will not genetically modify humans -... - December 5th, 2020
- Stoke Therapeutics Announces Presentations Related to the Company's Work to Advance STK-001, the First Potential New Medicine to Target the Underlying... - December 5th, 2020
- King George III's illness debunked as symptom 'caused by medicine prescribed to him' - Express - December 5th, 2020
- Stoke Therapeutics to Present at the Needham Virtual Epilepsy & Pain Specialty CNS Therapeutics Conference - Business Wire - December 5th, 2020
- Following the science: the writers who have made sense of Covid - The Guardian - December 5th, 2020
- Gene experts claim they identified human genes that can protect against Covid-19 - CNBC - November 23rd, 2020
- Genome Medical Reaches 90 Million Covered Lives in US - PRNewswire - November 23rd, 2020
- Sarepta Therapeutics Named One of The Boston Globe's Top Places to Work 2020 - GlobeNewswire - November 23rd, 2020
- New Study Highlights the Importance of Genetic Testing for Pancreatic Cancer Patients - PRNewswire - November 23rd, 2020
- Baylor Genetics Launches Combination Test for COVID-19 and Influenza A and B; Multi-Panel Test Seeks to Address Dilemma of "Overlapping symptoms... - November 23rd, 2020
- CHOP Researchers Reverse Severe Lymphatic Disorder in Patient with Noonan Syndrome by Targeting Genetic Pathway - BioSpace - November 23rd, 2020
- Myriad Genetics Announces Global Expansion of Myriad myChoice Tumor Testing in Europe and China - GlobeNewswire - November 23rd, 2020
- Epigenetics and pulmonary diseases in the horizon of precision medicine: a review - DocWire News - November 23rd, 2020
- Four years after landing in US, graduating ISU senior is on his way to medical school - Iowa State University News Service - November 23rd, 2020
- Lethal brain infections in mice thwarted by decoy molecule - Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis - November 23rd, 2020
- Reducing barriers to mainstream gene therapy - BioPharma-Reporter.com - September 4th, 2020
- Mapping Genetic Diversity of Lung Tumors Over Time May Lead to More Effective Therapies - UCSF News Services - September 4th, 2020
- Multi-site study to evaluate the role of testing guidelines in ensuring access to genetic information for men with prostate cancer - PRNewswire - September 4th, 2020
- Global Prime Editing Market to Witness Heightened Growth During the Period 2020 2030 - The Daily Chronicle - September 4th, 2020
- Liquid biopsies to disrupt the oncology testing market - Medical Device Network - September 4th, 2020
- Global RNA-interference (RNAi) Market Growth, Trends and Forecasts to 2025: Focus on Key Players Alnylam Pharmaceuticals, Arrowhead, Quark... - September 4th, 2020
- Yale researchers find a cause and possible treatment for Fragile X - Yale News - September 4th, 2020
- 'Coming into their own': FDA approval of liquid biopsy tests puts early, less invasive cancer detection in broader reach - USA TODAY - September 4th, 2020
- Fusion Genes Associated With More Aggressive Papillary Thyroid Cancer in Pediatric Patients - Targeted Oncology - September 4th, 2020
- Existing Class of Drugs May Improve Neurological Function in Patients with Rare, Aggressive Genetic Disorder - Newswise - September 4th, 2020
- Genomic analysis reveals insights on virulent, emerging foodborne pathogen - UB Now: News and views for UB faculty and staff - University at Buffalo... - September 4th, 2020
- Hyperthyroidism is associated with breast cancer risk and mammographic and genetic risk predictors - 2 Minute Medicine - September 4th, 2020
- Health history platform launches to trace genetic conditions | Digital Healthcare - Healthcare Global - Healthcare News, Magazine and Website - September 4th, 2020
- New HIV Gene Therapy, CAR-T Treatments Could be on the Horizon for Patients - BioSpace - September 4th, 2020
- Cell Suicide Gene Further Linked to Immunotherapy Response - Technology Networks - September 2nd, 2020
- Genetic mutations may be linked to infertility, early menopause - Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis - September 2nd, 2020
- How to use precision medicine to personalise COVID-19 treatment according to the patient's genes - Down To Earth Magazine - September 2nd, 2020
- UCT professors research offers hope of treatment for sickle cell anaemia - Daily Maverick - September 2nd, 2020
- Association of recent stressful life events with mental and physical health in the context of genomic and exposomic liability for schizophrenia - 2... - September 2nd, 2020
- Finding order in the chaos of cancer mutations - Drug Target Review - September 2nd, 2020
- Mustang Bio Announces Orphan Drug Designation for MB-107 for the Treatment of X-linked Severe Combined Immunodeficiency in Newly Diagnosed Infants -... - September 2nd, 2020
- Novavax Announces Publication of Phase 1 Data for COVID-19 Vaccine Candidate in The New England Journal of Medicine - GlobeNewswire - September 2nd, 2020
- Department of Genetic Medicine | Johns Hopkins Medicine - August 10th, 2020
- Genetic Medicine | Internal Medicine | Michigan Medicine ... - August 10th, 2020
- Genetic Medicine | Department of Medicine - August 10th, 2020
- Genomics and Medicine - Genome.gov - August 10th, 2020
- New Approach to Treating Osteoarthritis Advances | NYU Langone News - NYU Langone Health - August 10th, 2020
- Stoke Therapeutics Reports Second Quarter Financial Results and Provides Business Updates - Business Wire - August 10th, 2020
- Here's Why Shares of Editas Medicine and Beam Therapeutics Are Soaring Today - Motley Fool - August 10th, 2020
- Grant will fund study into COVID outcome disparities in NYC - Cornell Chronicle - August 10th, 2020
- A versatile genetic control system in mammalian cells and mice responsive to clinically licensed sodium ferulate - Science Advances - August 10th, 2020
- Spark Therapeutics Deepens Drug Development Expertise in Hematology and Rare Disease with Appointment of Gallia G. Levy, MD, Ph.D., as Chief Medical... - August 10th, 2020
- Chromosomal Rearrangements Associated with Chemotherapeutic Drug Resistance | McDonnell Boehnen Hulbert & Berghoff LLP - JD Supra - August 10th, 2020
- Jae Jung, Ph.D., Appointed as Chair of Cleveland Clinic Lerner Research Institute's Department of Cancer Biology - Health Essentials from Cleveland... - August 10th, 2020
- The UK and TCELS to jointly support COVID-19 research in Thailand - GOV.UK - August 10th, 2020
- Akouos Announces Expansion of Executive Team and Board of Directors - BioSpace - August 10th, 2020
- Medical and neurobehavioural phenotypes in male and female carriers of Xp22.31 duplications in the UK Biobank. - Physician's Weekly - August 10th, 2020
- Coronavirus vaccine breakthrough: New generation cure that stops virus developed - Express - August 10th, 2020
- Global Cell and Gene Therapy Market, Forecast to 2025 by Product, Disease, End-user and Region - COVID-19 Updated - PRNewswire - August 10th, 2020
- Not Everyone Needs 8 Hours of Sleep, New Research Reveals | Time - TIME - August 10th, 2020