(CNN) It's easy to see why millions of people flock to the beach every year.
They are dynamic places -- and not just because they're great for relaxing, surfing or people watching. With each crashing wave and changing tide, billions of pieces of sand and rock are constantly rearranged.
This is what nature intended.
What it did not, some scientists say, are the buildings that tower over some of the world's most popular beaches.
In many cases, this real estate that is coveted for its proximity to the beach is disrupting natural processes and in many places, increasing the rate of erosion.
Compounding the problem are the jetties, groins and other man-made structures built to keep sand from moving.
"Once you block the movement of sand, it may move to deeper areas offshore instead of replenishing the beach," said Kristina Hill, an associate professor at the University of California, Berkeley.
"As sea levels rise, that beach wants to be somewhere inland. And in order to try to get there, we expect that it will take away the beach much faster than it is right now," said Orrin Pilkey, director emeritus for the Program for the Study of Developed Shorelines."Sea level rise will spare nobody."
Here's how some of the world's most famous beaches are imperiled by sea level rise.
Waikiki Beach, Honolulu, Hawaii
Framed by highrise buildings and the Diamond Head crater, when you think of Hawaii, you think of Waikiki Beach.
But scientists say we are already locked into some amount of sea level rise from the greenhouse gases humans have added to the atmosphere, and without swift global action to reduce emissions, Waikiki's fate remains uncertain.
South Beach, Miami Beach, Florida
After past storms, the city has tried to replenish the sand lost from its famous beaches by dredging it up from offshore. But finding usable sand is becoming harder in an era of rising seas.
Copacabana Beach, Rio de Janeiro
Surfers Paradise, Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
But many of the country's beaches are imperiled by the combined impacts of sea level rise and intensive coastal development.
Surfers Paradise -- located on the Gold Coast and arguably the country's most famous beach -- is also among the most vulnerable because of the high rises that hug its sandy shores.
Ocean City, Maryland
Jim Watson/AFP/Getty Images
One of the busiest and most crowded beaches in the US, Ocean City and its lively boardwalk are huge economic drivers for the state of Maryland.
And based on the latest scientific projections, beach upkeep will be even more difficult in the future.
Santa Monica Beach, Los Angeles
Drawing millions of visitors to sunbathe, surf and people watch, LA's Santa Monica Beach won't be spared the impacts of the climate crisis.
Barceloneta Beach, Barcelona
Like all of Barcelona's eight beaches, Barceloneta is a man-made creation. And with little space to retreat because of the surrounding urban area, the beach will face challenges as sea levels creep higher.
With sea levels now expected to rise more than previously predicted by 2100, it will likely be difficult for Barcelona to maintain its status as a premier destination for urban beachgoers.
Ocean Beach, San Francisco
With its powerful waves, wide beach and close proximity to downtown San Francisco, Ocean Beach draws Bay Area surfers and outdoor enthusiasts of all stripes. But like so many other urban beaches, it faces a host of challenges.
CNN's Ryan Prior contributed to this report.
Go here to see the original:
- Cape Cod towns restrict beaches to only residents, close parking lots amid coronavirus - Boston Herald - August 11th, 2020
- New Coral Reef Information Signs Installed at 39 Maui Beaches - Maui Now - August 11th, 2020
- Restricting Beach Access to Residents Only - The New York Times - August 11th, 2020
- Petition Created to Keep Framingham Beaches Open Beyond August 9 - framinghamsource.com - August 11th, 2020
- HPD issues hundreds of citations on first day of beach closure - KHON2 - August 11th, 2020
- First Sea Turtles Of The Year Hatch On Pensacola Beach - NorthEscambia.com - August 11th, 2020
- Puerto Peasco bets on heavy restrictions in bid to reactivate tourist economy - AZCentral - August 11th, 2020
- Thousands of Palestinians enter Israel, head to beaches; soldiers turn blind eye - The Times of Israel - August 11th, 2020
- Spectacle Island is open, boasting unobstructed views and quiet beaches - The Boston Globe - August 11th, 2020
- Algae bloom at Virginia Beach Oceanfront resulting in foul smell and discolored water - WAVY.com - August 11th, 2020
- More Cape towns imposing tougher restrictions to limit beach crowds - Boston.com - August 11th, 2020
- Several Cape Cod beaches temporarily closed following great white shark sightings - The Boston Globe - August 11th, 2020
- 10 of the best beach and coast activities around the UK - The Guardian - August 11th, 2020
- Travel/Beach Restrictions: Heres what you need to know for RI, Mass. - WWLP.com - August 11th, 2020
- Delaware beach guide: What you need to know for your Aug. 7-9 weekend beach trip - The News Journal - August 10th, 2020
- Shark sightings in Wellfleet and Truro temporarily close beaches - The Boston Globe - August 10th, 2020
- Frigid waters to return to some area beaches - WOODTV.com - August 10th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Long Beach Mayor Garcias stepfather dies, 2 weeks after leaders mother passed away - Long Beach Press Telegram - August 10th, 2020
- The 10 Best Beaches on the French Riviera - Fodor's Travel - August 10th, 2020
- A postcard from the pandemic: no day at the beach - The Boston Globe - August 10th, 2020
- Town of Hempstead Red-Flags Long Island Beaches After Fishermen Catch 4 Sharks - NBC New York - August 10th, 2020
- Israel turns a blind eye, and Palestinians revel in a weekend at Jaffa beach - Haaretz - August 10th, 2020
- Jellyfish wash up on beaches of Yucatn The Yucatan Times - The Yucatan Times - August 10th, 2020
- Could Pacific Beach's beloved mosaics soon leave the neighborhood? - pacificsandiego.com - August 10th, 2020
- Thousands of Palestinians revel in a weekend of freedom at Israeli beaches - Haaretz - August 10th, 2020
- Woman hospitalized with life-threatening injury after shooting near The Beaches - FirstCoastNews.com WTLV-WJXX - August 10th, 2020
- Shops closed, beaches deserted as Isaias nears the Carolinas - Fox 59 - August 10th, 2020
- Lani Kai resort hit with two lawsuits in wake of July 15 shooting death - News-Press - August 10th, 2020
- South Padre Island extends emergency order regarding beach operations - KGBT-TV - August 10th, 2020
- The Interisland Travel Quarantine Is Coming Back, Oahu Beaches And - Honolulu Civil Beat - August 10th, 2020
- Town of Hempstead Red-Flags Long Island Beaches After Fishermen Catch Shark - NBC New York - August 9th, 2020
- Letters to the Editor: Work on solutions for safely accessing beaches in age of COVID-19 - Charleston Post Courier - August 9th, 2020
- Oahu beaches, parks and team sports will be halted once more - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - August 9th, 2020
- Whats That Building? The Modernist Bathhouses At Illinois Beach State Park - WBEZ - August 9th, 2020
- Fractured Lake Worth Beach commission wont consider talking to FPL about city utility - Palm Beach Post - August 9th, 2020
- Beaches Open At The Lake Of The Ozarks - krmsradio.com - August 8th, 2020
- Recreationists react to closures of city and state parks, beaches and campgrounds - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - August 8th, 2020
- At least 151 migrants land on Kent beaches - BBC News - August 8th, 2020
- Crouch: Recent southern counties outbreak linked to Myrtle Beach - West Virginia MetroNews - August 8th, 2020
- Does This Video Show an Octopus Walking on the Beach? - Snopes.com - August 8th, 2020
- At least 26 migrants land on Kent beaches - BBC News - August 8th, 2020
- Galveston must keep its word on sudden beach closures - Galveston County Daily News - August 8th, 2020
- 10 of the UK's best seaside cafes and beach shacks - The Guardian - August 8th, 2020
- 17-year-old girl airlifted with life-threatening injuries following crash on North Landing Bridge in Virginia Beach - WAVY.com - August 8th, 2020
- Great White Sharks may be closer to the NJ beaches than you think - New Jersey 101.5 FM Radio - August 6th, 2020
- We have a beautiful beach: Myrtle Beach officials remind vacationers of beach rules - ABC27 - August 6th, 2020
- A Trip To Virginia Beach Showed Why We Arent Beating This Virus - Forbes - August 6th, 2020
- Travel/Beach Restrictions: Heres what you need to know for RI, Mass. - WPRI.com - August 6th, 2020
- Isaias destroys outdoor venue at Long Beach Islands Surflight Theatre - WHYY - August 6th, 2020
- Boss Of The Beach TV Series Based On New York Magazine Article In Works By Darren Aronofsky & Searchlight TV - Deadline - August 6th, 2020
- A day in the life of the newly opened SF Bay trail at Albany Beach - Berkeleyside - August 6th, 2020
- Jersey Shore businesses dealt devastating blow as power wiped out on all of LBI - NJ.com - August 6th, 2020
- All of Long Beach Island Remains Without Power - TAPinto.net - August 6th, 2020
- Alki Beach and Don Armeni Boat Launch to be closed at night Thursdays through Sundays - Westside Seattle - August 6th, 2020
- Water restrictions removed at all state beaches other than Reid - NewsCenterMaine.com WCSH-WLBZ - August 3rd, 2020
- The best beaches in America are in Florida, according to Trip Advisor - I Love the Burg - August 3rd, 2020
- These 2 New England beaches just ranked among the best in the U.S. - Boston.com - August 3rd, 2020
- This Cape Cod beach was the only one in Massachusetts to land within Trip Advisors top 25 in US - MassLive.com - August 3rd, 2020
- Travel/Beach Restrictions: Heres what you need to know in RI, Mass. - WPRI.com - August 3rd, 2020
- Pensacola Beach-goers kept their eyes on the sky - WKRG News 5 - August 3rd, 2020
- Beach battle: Reduced access increases tension between tourists and Seacoast communities - Seacoastonline.com - August 3rd, 2020
- Social butterfly Vera Pavelec, one of four pals testing positive after Huntington Beach party, dies of COVID - OCRegister - August 3rd, 2020
- Beach Boys holding on to Connecticut concert date - MassLive.com - August 3rd, 2020
- Maine beach named one of the best in the country - WMTW Portland - August 3rd, 2020
- Isaias expected to bring big surf to area beaches - WPRI.com - August 3rd, 2020
- North Beach Neighbors Band Together to Boost Restaurants' Business With Volunteer Deliveries - CBS San Francisco - August 3rd, 2020
- Various groups hold beach cleanups across the Coastal Bend area in the aftermath of Hurricane Hanna - KIIITV.com - August 3rd, 2020
- Long Island Beaches Reopen This Weekend After Days Of Shark Sightings - CBS New York - August 3rd, 2020
- Close encounter: mother and calf whales stun surfers at Sydney's Manly beach - The Guardian - August 3rd, 2020
- The latest on Delaware's beaches: Your weekend trip guide for the first weekend in August - The News Journal - July 30th, 2020
- Shark sightings off LI coastline close several beaches for swimming for third straight day: officials - WPIX 11 New York - July 30th, 2020
- Study: Water quality dipped at Dot beaches last year - Dorchester Reporter - July 30th, 2020
- These 2 New England beaches were just ranked in the top 25 in the US - The Boston Globe - July 30th, 2020
- $22 million SunRunner bus system approved to connect St. Petersburg with beaches - FOX 13 Tampa Bay - July 30th, 2020
- Honolulu looks to outlaw large tents at beaches and parks - KHON2 - July 30th, 2020
- BEAUTIES and the Beach - coastalbreezenews.com - July 30th, 2020
- JW Marriott Making a Difference on the Beach - coastalbreezenews.com - July 30th, 2020
- Going to the Delaware Beaches Soon? DC Says You'll Have to Quarantine When You Get Back - Washingtonian - July 30th, 2020
- The Best Beach Getaways in the U.S. - Cond Nast Traveler - July 30th, 2020
- 141 tickets issued for alcohol, other violations at Westerly beaches in past 10 days - The Westerly Sun - July 30th, 2020