(CNN) It's easy to see why millions of people flock to the beach every year.
They are dynamic places -- and not just because they're great for relaxing, surfing or people watching. With each crashing wave and changing tide, billions of pieces of sand and rock are constantly rearranged.
This is what nature intended.
What it did not, some scientists say, are the buildings that tower over some of the world's most popular beaches.
In many cases, this real estate that is coveted for its proximity to the beach is disrupting natural processes and in many places, increasing the rate of erosion.
Compounding the problem are the jetties, groins and other man-made structures built to keep sand from moving.
"Once you block the movement of sand, it may move to deeper areas offshore instead of replenishing the beach," said Kristina Hill, an associate professor at the University of California, Berkeley.
"As sea levels rise, that beach wants to be somewhere inland. And in order to try to get there, we expect that it will take away the beach much faster than it is right now," said Orrin Pilkey, director emeritus for the Program for the Study of Developed Shorelines."Sea level rise will spare nobody."
Here's how some of the world's most famous beaches are imperiled by sea level rise.
Waikiki Beach, Honolulu, Hawaii
Framed by highrise buildings and the Diamond Head crater, when you think of Hawaii, you think of Waikiki Beach.
But scientists say we are already locked into some amount of sea level rise from the greenhouse gases humans have added to the atmosphere, and without swift global action to reduce emissions, Waikiki's fate remains uncertain.
South Beach, Miami Beach, Florida
After past storms, the city has tried to replenish the sand lost from its famous beaches by dredging it up from offshore. But finding usable sand is becoming harder in an era of rising seas.
Copacabana Beach, Rio de Janeiro
Surfers Paradise, Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
But many of the country's beaches are imperiled by the combined impacts of sea level rise and intensive coastal development.
Surfers Paradise -- located on the Gold Coast and arguably the country's most famous beach -- is also among the most vulnerable because of the high rises that hug its sandy shores.
Ocean City, Maryland
Jim Watson/AFP/Getty Images
One of the busiest and most crowded beaches in the US, Ocean City and its lively boardwalk are huge economic drivers for the state of Maryland.
And based on the latest scientific projections, beach upkeep will be even more difficult in the future.
Santa Monica Beach, Los Angeles
Drawing millions of visitors to sunbathe, surf and people watch, LA's Santa Monica Beach won't be spared the impacts of the climate crisis.
Barceloneta Beach, Barcelona
Like all of Barcelona's eight beaches, Barceloneta is a man-made creation. And with little space to retreat because of the surrounding urban area, the beach will face challenges as sea levels creep higher.
With sea levels now expected to rise more than previously predicted by 2100, it will likely be difficult for Barcelona to maintain its status as a premier destination for urban beachgoers.
Ocean Beach, San Francisco
With its powerful waves, wide beach and close proximity to downtown San Francisco, Ocean Beach draws Bay Area surfers and outdoor enthusiasts of all stripes. But like so many other urban beaches, it faces a host of challenges.
CNN's Ryan Prior contributed to this report.
Go here to see the original:
- Fortnite Frozen Firework Locations: Where To Light Frozen Fireworks Found On Beaches - Forbes - January 2nd, 2020
- Australia: Thousands trapped on beach as fires approach - DW (English) - January 2nd, 2020
- Thousands of Australians flee to beaches as wildfires rage - NBCNews.com - January 2nd, 2020
- 13,000-pound buoy removed from New Smyrna Beach, taken to Ponce Inlet - WESH 2 Orlando - January 2nd, 2020
- Never-Lived-In Palm Beach Mansion Listed For $43M - Forbes - January 2nd, 2020
- Restaurant Review: It's worth braving the crowds for Sake in Vero Beach - TCPalm - January 2nd, 2020
- Beaches (1988) - IMDb - December 26th, 2019
- Beaches (film) - Wikipedia - December 26th, 2019
- Beaches (1988) - Rotten Tomatoes - December 26th, 2019
- Island Beach State Park wants to save the dunes with your old Christmas tree - NJBIZ - December 26th, 2019
- Save The Date: Sign up for the annual Adopt-A-Beach Coastal Bend Winter cleanup - KIIITV.com - December 26th, 2019
- Christmas Day means beach day when the temperature is 80 - FOX 13 Tampa Bay - December 26th, 2019
- Delray Beach police investigating woman's body found on beach - WPBF West Palm Beach - December 26th, 2019
- Death on a Portland beach: What led to an attack on a young father, what losses followed - OregonLive - December 26th, 2019
- Top stories from 2019, No. 6: Carolina Beach resident claims lifeguards and thongs in violation of town code - Port City Daily - December 26th, 2019
- 2019 in review, top stories from the year: No. 9, Feeling Cheeky in Kure Beach? [Free Read] - Port City Daily - December 26th, 2019
- Man's body found on the beach in Longboat Key - WTSP.com - December 26th, 2019
- The Story of Beach Sand Is Way More Interesting Than You Thought - TheInertia.com - December 23rd, 2019
- Ben Shipp edges Garett Reband in South Beach International Amateur playoff - Golfweek - December 23rd, 2019
- Wave goodbye: Long Beach breakwater won't be removed - Los Angeles Times - December 23rd, 2019
- Photos: Beach-cities drive pits Manhattan and Hermosa Beach in friendly competition to collect the most toys for needy - The Daily Breeze - December 23rd, 2019
- $1 billion for Briny Breezes? Real estate broker thinks Trump would buy... and residents are listening - Palm Beach Post - December 23rd, 2019
- The top 10 stories of 2019 in Long Beach - Long Beach Post - December 23rd, 2019
- 'We'll never forget this': Loved ones pay tribute to couple killed in Mastic Beach crash 1 year ago - News 12 Long Island - December 23rd, 2019
- Daytonas downtown has another major development brewing - Daytona Beach News-Journal - December 23rd, 2019
- Baghdad's 'Tahrir Beach' where the revolution takes a break - Yahoo News - December 23rd, 2019
- Dead whale found on Midland Beach; carcass will be buried there - SILive.com - December 23rd, 2019
- Wildwood to host 3-day country music festival on the beach - WHYY - December 23rd, 2019
- Five Must-Try Water Activities For Your Next Beach Vacation - Forbes - November 25th, 2019
- Beach Hazards Statement issued for beaches due to red tide - Fox 4 - November 25th, 2019
- President Trump to arrive in Palm Beach County on Tuesday - WPTV.com - November 25th, 2019
- Man, 20, killed in fiery Newport Beach crash is identified as Stanton resident - Los Angeles Times - November 25th, 2019
- Huntington Beach resident identified as one of two women killed in Westminster crash - Los Angeles Times - November 25th, 2019
- IRCSO: Vero Beach man arrested, accused of trafficking and carrying opioids - TCPalm - November 25th, 2019
- Stuart, Port St. Lucie and Vero Beach are Purple Heart cities, but what does that mean? - TCPalm - November 25th, 2019
- Wings made of conch shells on Jersey Shore beach are a heaven-sent photo op - NJ.com - November 25th, 2019
- Long Beach Man Killed in Citys 3rd Shooting in Just Over 24 Hours - KTLA Los Angeles - November 25th, 2019
- Hoops revival continues: Tulane men win 2 of 3 in Myrtle Beach, improve to 5-1 - NOLA.com - November 25th, 2019
- A Komodo dragon hit the beach wearing a turtle as a hat, and there's video evidence - INSIDER - November 25th, 2019
- Teens Confess to Vandalizing Benches at Groton Beaches: Police - NBC Connecticut - November 25th, 2019
- Jax Beach Pier closed: Work begins on 2-year project - ActionNewsJax.com - November 25th, 2019
- Vero Beach woman dies after crash; Indian River Boulevard to close for investigation - TCPalm - November 25th, 2019
- The Beach Boys top this weekend's nightlife in the Coachella Valley - Desert Sun - November 25th, 2019
- Sea of devotees throng beaches - The Hindu - November 12th, 2019
- Bricks of 'very pure' cocaine keep washing up on French beaches - New York Post - November 12th, 2019
- Trump Administration Makes It Easier to Dredge Protected Areas to Restore Beaches - The New York Times - November 12th, 2019
- Technically, This Is the Most Perfect Stretch of Beach In the World - Thrillist - November 12th, 2019
- For the 2nd day in a row, some Hawaii beaches are closed because of shark sightings - Q13 News Seattle - November 12th, 2019
- Thousands of Glorious 'Ice Eggs' Wash Up on Finnish Beach - Livescience.com - November 12th, 2019
- Lee and Collier County upgrading tools to keep SWFL beaches clean - Wink News - November 12th, 2019
- Suspect and victim in deadly shooting ID'd - WPTV.com - November 12th, 2019
- IVGID to discuss golf carts, tennis center, bocce ball, beach house and summer wrap up - Tahoe Daily Tribune - November 12th, 2019
- Ice eggs: Thousands of rare balls of ice cover beach in Finland - CBS News - November 12th, 2019
- Jersey Shore beach fill project will begin after fight with feds over sand - NJ.com - November 12th, 2019
- 150kg of diamond cocaine washes up on French beaches, locals urged against treasure hunting - RT - November 12th, 2019
- Feature: Long Beach Poly's James Chubba Maae In The Middle Of It All - The562.org - November 12th, 2019
- Several Birds Found Dead On Huntington Beach Test Positive For Very Unexpected Type Of Botulism - CBS Los Angeles - November 12th, 2019
- Forward Progress Of Marin County Coast Wildfire Stopped - CBS San Francisco - October 25th, 2019
- A rare Caribbean island where beaches aren't the draw - CNN - October 25th, 2019
- In Southern Shores election, traffic and beaches and town manager dominate - The Outer Banks Voice - October 25th, 2019
- Reunion Special: Who's Still Together From Ex On The Beach Season 3? - MTV.com - October 25th, 2019
- Twin Harbors and Long Beach approved for clam dig that starts this weekend | KXRO News Radio - KXRO Newsradio - October 25th, 2019
- Rules banning dogs from cemeteries, beaches and playgrounds published by council - Isle of Wight County Press - October 25th, 2019
- Second suspect arrested in Huntington Beach shooting that left man in critical condition - Los Angeles Times - October 25th, 2019
- Wonsan's Beach Resort on Pace for Completion by Spring 2020 - 38 North - October 25th, 2019
- 165,000 tons of sand on the move to replenish Naples beaches - Wink News - October 25th, 2019
- U.S. offered to build North Korean beach resort in recent nuclear talks - MarketWatch - October 25th, 2019
- These SC houses are falling into the ocean as beaches erode. Who should remove them? - Charleston Post Courier - October 12th, 2019
- Vero Beach outlasts Treasure Coast to clinch district title in overtime thriller - TCPalm - October 12th, 2019
- Unexpected Brit beach becomes only one in UK to make it into international top six - Mirror Online - October 12th, 2019
- Mexico Beach business community wiped out by Michael - The Albany Herald - October 12th, 2019
- Lawmakers to call for disciplinary action against judge - WPTV.com - October 12th, 2019
- Jack Black helps Redondo Beach family who lost daughter host event to thank Torrances Providence Trinity Kids Care Hospice - The Daily Breeze - October 12th, 2019
- Peace Doves mural created in honor of victims of the Virginia Beach mass shooting - WAVY.com - October 12th, 2019
- Beaches : NYC Parks - June 4th, 2019
- Ripple Price Forecast: XRP vs SWIFT, SEC Updates, and More - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Looking Past the Bithumb Crypto Hack - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: This Week on Bitfinex, Tether, Coinbase, & More - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: XRP Validators, Malta, and Practical Tokens - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Bitcoin ETFs, Andreessen Horowitz, and Contradictions in Crypto - May 25th, 2019