Saba (CNN) Saba should have an inferiority complex.
A scarcity of cruise ships and beaches -- short of a seasonal sandy strip that comes and goes with the tide at turbulent Wells Bay and a petite man-made curve of sand at Cove Bay -- may explain why Saba isn't a major tourist draw.
Yet, the gregarious Sabans, many with an ancestry dating back to the island's European settlement in the 17th century, hardly feel excluded. Rather, they treasure their unsung island paradise that's home to both sedate and exhilarating sights and activities, which only a cadre of mostly hard-core divers and hikers have discovered.
Awestruck with air travel
Saba's 1,300-foot runway is often classified as the world's shortest commercial runway.
Courtesy Saba Tourist Board
A few moments after departing Princess Juliana Airport in St. Maarten, Saba rears its head as a dark pyramidal massif. The Winair Twin Otter prop plane flies directly toward this mighty, but dormant, volcano, with nary a flat surface to be seen.
The experience becomes hair-raising after the plane turns sharply: A wild, precipitous landscape fills the cabin windows as the plane parallels sheer, towering rock walls.
With your adrenaline levels surging off the charts, the pilot touches down precisely, jamming on the brakes and allowing the plane to roll ever so close to the precipice, before veering toward Juancho E. Yrausquin Airport's terminal.
Meet and greet
You'll be embraced as a member of a big family on Saba, an intimate island of just over 2,000 people that welcomes visitors with its small town sense of community.
Stop at an intersection with your vehicle's windows rolled down and you'll likely hear a local shout, "Welcome to the island."
In Windwardside, the main commercial village, even ambulance drivers starting their shifts will yell, "Good morning!" as you stroll by. Forget your change at the market, and the cashier will chase after you.
Should you look lost as you wander about, it's likely a car will pull over, the driver offering you a ride to your destination.
Bizzy B, a tiny Windwardside bakery/coffee shop/cafe, is a prime gathering spot, especially in the early morning when, as you sip a latte and nibble a scrumptious warm apple turnover in the outdoor plaza, you'll hear residents catching up on the news, whether a painter has taken ill or a shopkeeper went off island for a wedding.
Navigating through nature
The peak of an extinct volcano, Mount Scenery, is the island's highest point.
Courtesy Saba Tourist Board
Almost two dozen trails thread Saba's rugged surface coated with rainforest, volcanic rocks and abandoned farmland.
The most popular hike requires trudging up more than 1,000 slick-when-wet steps to the misty summit of Mount Scenery, Saba's signature sight, where a magical cloud forest awaits.
Another path enchants those who thrive on the vertiginous: Mary's Point Trail, named for one of the island's first settlers, courses along a bluff edge past the ruins of a village, abandoned because of extensive erosion.
Not all trails strain the body or mind, however. The Big Rendezvous and Bottom Mountain trails are both relatively mellow, where the fertile land is peppered with lemon, orange and other fruit trees, and different types of hummingbirds and other species flit about.
Colorful and glittery baubles
In addition to baubles, the island is home to Saba lace, also known as Spanish Work, and Saba Spice, a rum-based liqueur.
Plunging to the depths
Cove Bay is just below the airport in Saba.
Courtesy Saba Tourist Board
Saba's volcanic origins created a dramatic and diverse underwater topography that entices experienced divers who gravitate to the area's drop-offs, caves, tunnels and pinnacles (the summits of undersea volcanoes).
The waters are rich in brilliantly hued tropical fish, giant grouper, myriad shark species and other marine life.
The Eye of the Needle, a pinnacle dive site, is a diver's Eden for spotting giant sponges and corals, as well as nurse sharks and manta rays. Tent Reef, a rocky ledge, is much loved for night dives where nocturnal marine creatures, such as octopus and spiny lobsters, can be spotted.
Where to eat
Set in an old Saban house with an al fresco terrace, Brigadoon in Windwardside serves Mediterranean/French cuisine with a Caribbean twist. An inventive thread runs through every course, especially the desserts, such as pina colada trifle with delectable layers of pineapple, cream and coconut.
Where to stay
Queen's Gardens Resort & Spa has a pool optimally perched for sweeping island views.
Courtesy Saba Tourist Board
Each of the dozen suites spreads across an entire floor and is complete with an en suite infinity jacuzzi providing enticing views of the sea and the surrounding towering hills. The bamboo-lined Frangipani Spa radiates serenity, offering treatments such as a four-hand massage or a Turkish steam bath.
Dutch owner Hemmie van Xanten gave his property an appropriate name, meaning "taste of the world" in Malay.
After all, the theme of each guest room -- currently just two of them, with a few more to be added later in 2019 -- reflects the culture and history of the countries he's traveled. For example, the Malaysian room displays darts and blowpipes used by the Borneo-based Iban tribe.
- Fortnite Frozen Firework Locations: Where To Light Frozen Fireworks Found On Beaches - Forbes - January 2nd, 2020
- Australia: Thousands trapped on beach as fires approach - DW (English) - January 2nd, 2020
- Thousands of Australians flee to beaches as wildfires rage - NBCNews.com - January 2nd, 2020
- 13,000-pound buoy removed from New Smyrna Beach, taken to Ponce Inlet - WESH 2 Orlando - January 2nd, 2020
- Never-Lived-In Palm Beach Mansion Listed For $43M - Forbes - January 2nd, 2020
- Restaurant Review: It's worth braving the crowds for Sake in Vero Beach - TCPalm - January 2nd, 2020
- Beaches (1988) - IMDb - December 26th, 2019
- Beaches (film) - Wikipedia - December 26th, 2019
- Beaches (1988) - Rotten Tomatoes - December 26th, 2019
- Island Beach State Park wants to save the dunes with your old Christmas tree - NJBIZ - December 26th, 2019
- Save The Date: Sign up for the annual Adopt-A-Beach Coastal Bend Winter cleanup - KIIITV.com - December 26th, 2019
- Christmas Day means beach day when the temperature is 80 - FOX 13 Tampa Bay - December 26th, 2019
- Delray Beach police investigating woman's body found on beach - WPBF West Palm Beach - December 26th, 2019
- Death on a Portland beach: What led to an attack on a young father, what losses followed - OregonLive - December 26th, 2019
- Top stories from 2019, No. 6: Carolina Beach resident claims lifeguards and thongs in violation of town code - Port City Daily - December 26th, 2019
- 2019 in review, top stories from the year: No. 9, Feeling Cheeky in Kure Beach? [Free Read] - Port City Daily - December 26th, 2019
- Man's body found on the beach in Longboat Key - WTSP.com - December 26th, 2019
- The Story of Beach Sand Is Way More Interesting Than You Thought - TheInertia.com - December 23rd, 2019
- Ben Shipp edges Garett Reband in South Beach International Amateur playoff - Golfweek - December 23rd, 2019
- Wave goodbye: Long Beach breakwater won't be removed - Los Angeles Times - December 23rd, 2019
- Photos: Beach-cities drive pits Manhattan and Hermosa Beach in friendly competition to collect the most toys for needy - The Daily Breeze - December 23rd, 2019
- $1 billion for Briny Breezes? Real estate broker thinks Trump would buy... and residents are listening - Palm Beach Post - December 23rd, 2019
- The top 10 stories of 2019 in Long Beach - Long Beach Post - December 23rd, 2019
- 'We'll never forget this': Loved ones pay tribute to couple killed in Mastic Beach crash 1 year ago - News 12 Long Island - December 23rd, 2019
- Daytonas downtown has another major development brewing - Daytona Beach News-Journal - December 23rd, 2019
- Baghdad's 'Tahrir Beach' where the revolution takes a break - Yahoo News - December 23rd, 2019
- Dead whale found on Midland Beach; carcass will be buried there - SILive.com - December 23rd, 2019
- Wildwood to host 3-day country music festival on the beach - WHYY - December 23rd, 2019
- Five Must-Try Water Activities For Your Next Beach Vacation - Forbes - November 25th, 2019
- Beach Hazards Statement issued for beaches due to red tide - Fox 4 - November 25th, 2019
- President Trump to arrive in Palm Beach County on Tuesday - WPTV.com - November 25th, 2019
- Man, 20, killed in fiery Newport Beach crash is identified as Stanton resident - Los Angeles Times - November 25th, 2019
- Huntington Beach resident identified as one of two women killed in Westminster crash - Los Angeles Times - November 25th, 2019
- IRCSO: Vero Beach man arrested, accused of trafficking and carrying opioids - TCPalm - November 25th, 2019
- Stuart, Port St. Lucie and Vero Beach are Purple Heart cities, but what does that mean? - TCPalm - November 25th, 2019
- Wings made of conch shells on Jersey Shore beach are a heaven-sent photo op - NJ.com - November 25th, 2019
- Long Beach Man Killed in Citys 3rd Shooting in Just Over 24 Hours - KTLA Los Angeles - November 25th, 2019
- Hoops revival continues: Tulane men win 2 of 3 in Myrtle Beach, improve to 5-1 - NOLA.com - November 25th, 2019
- A Komodo dragon hit the beach wearing a turtle as a hat, and there's video evidence - INSIDER - November 25th, 2019
- Teens Confess to Vandalizing Benches at Groton Beaches: Police - NBC Connecticut - November 25th, 2019
- Jax Beach Pier closed: Work begins on 2-year project - ActionNewsJax.com - November 25th, 2019
- Vero Beach woman dies after crash; Indian River Boulevard to close for investigation - TCPalm - November 25th, 2019
- The Beach Boys top this weekend's nightlife in the Coachella Valley - Desert Sun - November 25th, 2019
- Sea of devotees throng beaches - The Hindu - November 12th, 2019
- Bricks of 'very pure' cocaine keep washing up on French beaches - New York Post - November 12th, 2019
- Trump Administration Makes It Easier to Dredge Protected Areas to Restore Beaches - The New York Times - November 12th, 2019
- Technically, This Is the Most Perfect Stretch of Beach In the World - Thrillist - November 12th, 2019
- For the 2nd day in a row, some Hawaii beaches are closed because of shark sightings - Q13 News Seattle - November 12th, 2019
- Thousands of Glorious 'Ice Eggs' Wash Up on Finnish Beach - Livescience.com - November 12th, 2019
- Lee and Collier County upgrading tools to keep SWFL beaches clean - Wink News - November 12th, 2019
- Suspect and victim in deadly shooting ID'd - WPTV.com - November 12th, 2019
- IVGID to discuss golf carts, tennis center, bocce ball, beach house and summer wrap up - Tahoe Daily Tribune - November 12th, 2019
- Ice eggs: Thousands of rare balls of ice cover beach in Finland - CBS News - November 12th, 2019
- Jersey Shore beach fill project will begin after fight with feds over sand - NJ.com - November 12th, 2019
- 150kg of diamond cocaine washes up on French beaches, locals urged against treasure hunting - RT - November 12th, 2019
- Feature: Long Beach Poly's James Chubba Maae In The Middle Of It All - The562.org - November 12th, 2019
- Several Birds Found Dead On Huntington Beach Test Positive For Very Unexpected Type Of Botulism - CBS Los Angeles - November 12th, 2019
- Forward Progress Of Marin County Coast Wildfire Stopped - CBS San Francisco - October 25th, 2019
- Your favorite beaches around the world could disappear because of the climate crisis, development - CNN - October 25th, 2019
- In Southern Shores election, traffic and beaches and town manager dominate - The Outer Banks Voice - October 25th, 2019
- Reunion Special: Who's Still Together From Ex On The Beach Season 3? - MTV.com - October 25th, 2019
- Twin Harbors and Long Beach approved for clam dig that starts this weekend | KXRO News Radio - KXRO Newsradio - October 25th, 2019
- Rules banning dogs from cemeteries, beaches and playgrounds published by council - Isle of Wight County Press - October 25th, 2019
- Second suspect arrested in Huntington Beach shooting that left man in critical condition - Los Angeles Times - October 25th, 2019
- Wonsan's Beach Resort on Pace for Completion by Spring 2020 - 38 North - October 25th, 2019
- 165,000 tons of sand on the move to replenish Naples beaches - Wink News - October 25th, 2019
- U.S. offered to build North Korean beach resort in recent nuclear talks - MarketWatch - October 25th, 2019
- These SC houses are falling into the ocean as beaches erode. Who should remove them? - Charleston Post Courier - October 12th, 2019
- Vero Beach outlasts Treasure Coast to clinch district title in overtime thriller - TCPalm - October 12th, 2019
- Unexpected Brit beach becomes only one in UK to make it into international top six - Mirror Online - October 12th, 2019
- Mexico Beach business community wiped out by Michael - The Albany Herald - October 12th, 2019
- Lawmakers to call for disciplinary action against judge - WPTV.com - October 12th, 2019
- Jack Black helps Redondo Beach family who lost daughter host event to thank Torrances Providence Trinity Kids Care Hospice - The Daily Breeze - October 12th, 2019
- Peace Doves mural created in honor of victims of the Virginia Beach mass shooting - WAVY.com - October 12th, 2019
- Beaches : NYC Parks - June 4th, 2019
- Ripple Price Forecast: XRP vs SWIFT, SEC Updates, and More - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Looking Past the Bithumb Crypto Hack - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: This Week on Bitfinex, Tether, Coinbase, & More - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: XRP Validators, Malta, and Practical Tokens - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Bitcoin ETFs, Andreessen Horowitz, and Contradictions in Crypto - May 25th, 2019