Thousands of Australians fled their homes on New Year's Eve, taking refuge on beaches from raging wildfires that turned the sky bright red, destroyed houses and businesses and caused deaths in the country's most populous states.
The devastating fires, fed by intense heat and winds, rampaged across Australia's southeastern states of New South Wales and Victoria heading into the new year, turning coastal towns into dangerous traps and forcing residents to the oceanside.
As of 3 a.m. local time Wednesday, 112 fires were burning across New South Wales and several large and dangerous fires continued to burn on the southern coast, according to the New South Wales Rural Fire Service. More than 2,500 firefighters were combating the fires, it said.
Victoria state Premier Daniel Andrews requested assistance from 70 firefighters from the United States and Canada, while Australia's military sent air and sea reinforcements, The Associated Press reported.
Officials said that all telecommunications, including cellphone coverage, would be lost overnight on the south coast of New South Wales between Nowra and Moruya and that hospitals would be among the affected facilities, according to the Australian Broadcasting Corp.
The massive blazes have already destroyed more than 10 million acres of bush and 1,000 homes after the devastating fire season began in September. Record heat, windy conditions and ongoing drought have exacerbated the blazes this annual fire season a combination that environmentalists say has been aggravated by climate change.
Let our news meet your inbox. The news and stories that matters, delivered weekday mornings.
Australia recorded its hottest day on record in mid-December, beating the mark that was set just the day before. This comes after Australia's Bureau of Meteorology declared spring 2019 to be the driest on record.
Shane Fitzsimmons, commissioner of the New South Wales Rural Fire Service, told The Sydney Morning Herald that it was "absolutely" the worst bushfire season on record.
"What we really need is meaningful rain, and we haven't got anything in the forecast at the moment that says we're going to get drought-breaking or fire quenching rainfall," he said.
In Mallacoota, in the state of Victoria, about 4,000 people swarmed to the beach to escape the fires, according to authorities. An image released to AFP/Getty Images showed people taking shelter offshore on a boat near Mallacoota, covering their mouths against an orange sky.
"The community right now is under threat, but they will, we will hold our line, and they will be saved and protected," Steve Warrington, chief officer of the Victorian Country Fire Authority, said Tuesday.
Andrews said Tuesday that four people remained unaccounted for.
Police in New South Wales said in a statement Wednesday that a third man had died in the fires in the states South Coast. His body was found in a burned car Wednesday morning on a road a little less than 4 miles west of Lake Conjola.
Tuesday, police in that state said two men, believed to be a father and his son, died in a house in the wildfire-ravaged southeast town of Cobargo.
"They were obviously trying to do their best with the fire as it came through in the early hours of the morning," New South Wales Deputy Police Commissioner Gary Worboys said, according to the AP.
A 72-year-old man remains unaccounted for at Belowra, which is around 31 miles west of Cobargo, police said Wednesday.
Dramatic video captured the moment a fire crew's truck was overrun by a bushfire south of Nowra, a town south of Sydney. The truck is seen making its way through the raging fires as smoke and embers fill the air. Massive flames are then seen surrounding the truck from all sides. Fire and Rescue New South Wales, which released the video, said the crew was forced to shelter in their truck as the fire front passed through. The fire service confirmed in a follow up post on Twitter that the crew survived the incident.
On Monday, a volunteer firefighter died when his truck overturned in a rare phenomenon known as a fire tornado, authorities said.
Cyclonic winds lifted the truck which weighs 10 to 13 tons and "flipped it onto its roof, trapping the people inside," and killing firefighter Samuel McPaul, 28, Fitzsimmons said. Three other people were injured.
McPaul is survived by his wife, who is pregnant with their first child. He was due to become a father in May, officials said.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison expressed condolences, calling McPaul's death "absolutely heartbreaking."
"The fires in New South Wales and Victoria are continuing to rage, and we expect further difficult news out of both of those states," he said.
"I want to thank all of those out there fighting those fires, all of those out there supporting them in these difficult times," he added. "The conditions remain tough, and for the rest of us it's a matter of just simply listening to the instructions, staying safe and being patient and doing what we need to do to put ourselves in a place of safety."
Daniella Silva is a reporter for NBC News, specializing in immigration and inclusion issues, as well as coverage of Latin America.
Associated Press contributed.
- Beaches are back: Orange Beach hosts hundreds of beachgoers on day one of reopen - FOX10 News - May 3rd, 2020
- Old Lyme Beaches to Close Indefinitely Starting This Weekend - NBC Connecticut - May 3rd, 2020
- Coronavirus live updates: Officials urge social distancing at beaches; over 65K have died in US - USA TODAY - May 3rd, 2020
- San Diego Officials: First beach weekend in 6 weeks will serve as a test - CBS News 8 - May 3rd, 2020
- Tampa begins to open its parks, beaches - Tampa Bay Times - May 3rd, 2020
- First full day of Gulf Shores beaches re-open - FOX10 News - May 3rd, 2020
- Hundreds of deputies will be making sure people on Pinellas County beaches are social distancing - ABC Action News - May 3rd, 2020
- Indian River County beaches open for exercise, and there's hope picnics could return soon - TCPalm - May 3rd, 2020
- Fort Myers Beach reopens to the public - Fox 4 - May 3rd, 2020
- Ventnor beaches to reopen May 8, Boardwalk to remain closed - Press of Atlantic City - May 3rd, 2020
- Amid coronavirus, Californians have a right to beaches - Los Angeles Times - May 3rd, 2020
- 11 Stunning Photos of Zanzibar's Beaches and Architecture - Cond Nast Traveler - May 3rd, 2020
- Whats open outdoors? Parks, trails and beaches to visit during shelter in place - San Francisco Chronicle - May 3rd, 2020
- Newport Beach Officials Release Photos Disputing That Their Beaches Were Overcrowded - CBS Los Angeles - May 3rd, 2020
- Deserted Thai Beaches Lure Rare Turtles to Build Most Nests in 20 Years - EcoWatch - May 3rd, 2020
- Maine's most popular parks and beaches to remain closed - Press Herald - May 3rd, 2020
- Marshfield and Duxbury look to shore up beaches with beach nourishment plan - The Patriot Ledger - May 3rd, 2020
- Coronavirus live updates: Outdoor access on the rise, virus rates vary between neighborhoods - USA TODAY - May 3rd, 2020
- City parks and state beaches re-open for exercise only - KHON2 - April 26th, 2020
- San Clemente beaches to reopen for residents this weekend - Los Angeles Times - April 26th, 2020
- Beaches are closed, but beach reads are still on the way - The Spokesman-Review - April 26th, 2020
- Florida lawyer to wear Grim Reaper costume to stop people visiting beaches - The-Latest News - April 26th, 2020
- Coronavirus has many beaches closed, but beach reads are still coming this summer - USA TODAY - April 26th, 2020
- What's open and closed this weekend: Beaches, parks and trails in Southern California - Los Angeles Times - April 26th, 2020
- Coronavirus: City of Ventura to allow limited access to closed beaches, parks, pier - VC Star - April 26th, 2020
- Will IRCSO patrol county beaches when they re-open Tuesday? 'Absolutely,' sheriff says - TCPalm - April 26th, 2020
- COVID-19: Satellite Beach, Cocoa Beach reopen beaches to sunbathers, groups of 5 or less - Florida Today - April 26th, 2020
- Heat wave has people even more anxious to hit the beach - CBS News 8 - April 26th, 2020
- When Pinellas County reopens its beaches and businesses, officials want to move slowly - Tampa Bay Times - April 26th, 2020
- Oak Island opening beaches Friday, with restrictions - WWAY NewsChannel 3 - April 26th, 2020
- After two-week closure, three Brunswick beaches reopen; Kure and Carolina still closed [Free read] - Port City Daily - April 26th, 2020
- Here is Galveston's plan to open its restaurants and beaches - KHOU.com - April 26th, 2020
- Visitors flock to the beach as South Padre Island reopens - KGBT-TV - April 26th, 2020
- Surfers, Swimmers, Beach-Lovers Want Answers: When Will We Get Back in the Water, and on the Sand? - NBC 7 San Diego - April 26th, 2020
- Edisto Beach and Kiawah respond to opening of public beaches - WCBD News 2 - April 26th, 2020
- Open and closed trails, parks, beaches in California - Los Angeles Times - April 7th, 2020
- 4 more Jersey Shore towns closing their beaches, boardwalks, halting rentals due to coronavirus - NJ.com - April 7th, 2020
- Marco Island approves opening entrance, exit beach access points - Wink News - April 7th, 2020
- Closing the beaches: Who actually has the authority to do it? - Port City Daily - April 7th, 2020
- No rentals, beaches, boardwalks at these Jersey Shore towns - New Jersey 101.5 FM Radio - April 7th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Beaches will remain closed, according to Jacksonville mayor - The Florida Times-Union - April 7th, 2020
- Police chief: The Seaside beach is closed to everyone, and that includes you - KPTV.com - April 7th, 2020
- Mass. state coastal beaches remain open but dont plan on getting a tan. Heres what to know. - Boston.com - April 7th, 2020
- L.A. Times: Scientists Concerned over Potential COVID-19 Exposure from Beach Walks and Swimming - North Coast Journal - April 7th, 2020
- Local beaches: What's open and what's closed - 10News - April 7th, 2020
- Coronavirus At The Beach? In The Surf? In The Breeze? It's Complicated - CBS San Francisco - April 7th, 2020
- Governments talk about how to reopen the beaches - Fernandina Beach News-Leader - April 7th, 2020
- 3 more Ocean County beaches closing this week as coronavirus cases mount - NJ.com - April 7th, 2020
- Local beaches were packed as COVID-19 scare sends folks outside - News965 - March 16th, 2020
- Event cancellations in the Bay Area lead many to busy beaches - FOX 13 Tampa Bay - March 16th, 2020
- People flock to beaches as other places across Tampa Bay shut down - WTSP.com - March 16th, 2020
- Drive-through coronavirus testing starts Monday in West Palm Beach - WPTV.com - March 16th, 2020
- Boris Johnson's hero is the mayor who kept the beaches open in Jaws. That's fine by me - The Guardian - March 16th, 2020
- Coronavirus Update: Jones Beach Eyed As Possible Drive-Thru Testing Site As Number Of Cases On Long Island Grows - CBS New York - March 16th, 2020
- 2 men shot in North Long Beach, police investigating it as gang-related - Long Beach Post - March 16th, 2020
- Watch The Late Layne Staley Performing With TOOL On A Beach In Oahu, 1993 - Metal Injection.net - March 16th, 2020
- Man flew to Palm Beach after positive coronavirus test: reports | TheHill - The Hill - March 16th, 2020
- Clearwater Has Much More To Offer Than Just World-Class Beaches - Forbes - February 26th, 2020
- City votes to put $10,000 toward sexual assault prevention at Beaches ahead of spring break - FirstCoastNews.com WTLV-WJXX - February 26th, 2020
- Construction begins for Acura Grand Prix of Long Beach - Long Beach Press Telegram - February 26th, 2020
- UCLA takes first Pac-12 Beach Volleyball Pair of the Week honor - Pac-12.com - February 26th, 2020
- The Winter Surfers of Rockaway Beach - The New York Times - February 26th, 2020
- Denby Fawcett: Clearing The Homeless Out Of Kuhio Beach Pavilions - Honolulu Civil Beat - February 26th, 2020
- Beach Haus Brewery: The Place to Be for Unbeatable Views of the St. Patrick's Day Parade - TAPinto.net - February 26th, 2020
- Massive desalination buoy washes up on Hobe Sound beach - WPTV.com - February 26th, 2020
- Cal State Long Beach Continues Reversing The Number Of College Dropouts - Patch.com - February 26th, 2020
- Miami Beach Chefs to be Honored At City Hall Ceremony - Miami New Times - February 26th, 2020
- Ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach Plan to collaborate on cargo operations - Logistics Management - February 26th, 2020
- Relics washed up on beaches reveal lost world beneath the North Sea - Science Magazine - January 30th, 2020
- Beach chairs, blankets and trash. Massive mess left after Trump's Wildwood rally. - NJ.com - January 30th, 2020
- Miami Beach Hires Hunting Service to Kill City's Invasive Iguanas - Miami New Times - January 30th, 2020
- Helicopter Crash Victim Alyssa Altobelli to Be Honored at Newport Beach Vigil - NBC Southern California - January 30th, 2020
- The Preservation Foundation of Palm Beach Celebrates 40 Years - Palm Beach - January 30th, 2020
- This Weekend's Long Beach Island Area Entertainment Lineup for January 30 through February 2, Presented by the Tide Table Group - TAPinto.net - January 30th, 2020
- Where to retire on the beach for $95,000 a year - msnNOW - January 30th, 2020
- 7 victims of Kobe Bryant crash lived in Newport Beach - Los Angeles Times - January 30th, 2020
- One Paycheck Away: Families struggle to survive in Palm Beach County - WPTV.com - January 30th, 2020
- Wrightsville Beach and the Dread God of Fire - StarNewsOnline.com - January 30th, 2020
- Sandy Point Beach House restaurant coming to Grand Rapids - mlive.com - January 30th, 2020
- Fortnite Frozen Firework Locations: Where To Light Frozen Fireworks Found On Beaches - Forbes - January 2nd, 2020