You heard it here. A recent study abstract and from my friend , Clinical Geneticist, Internist and all around really smart lady spoke today about her findings of a head to head, DTCG vs Family History at discovering cancer risk.
I actually sent some data way about a similar thing way back when, Ken is yet another, really smart guy. He wasn’t surprised. Nor was I when I heard Dr. Eng’s findings.
First, Caveat Emptor
This is an abstract! Repeat after me……
What does that mean?
1. It is not peer reviewed fully
2. It is not published yet
3. It is preliminary data
This test was Navigenics Compass vs Family History in 22 females with breast cancer, 22 males with prostate cancer and 44 people with colorectal cancer.
What was the result? Family History placed far more people in the proper high risk category. 8:1
Family History put 22 people in the appropriate High Risk Hereditary Category, DTCG only one.
Further, it looks to me that the Navi “Gene” Scan missed several high risk patients who actually had MMR mutations (I.E. Genetic Cancer)…..D’Oh.
First off, this is like a case study. But it signals a HUGE shortcoming of DTCG. False reassurance.
I have been beating this over the head for 3 years now! These tests that have “medical” relevance need to be couched with proper medical guidance.
There are huge shortcomings in the current offering of DTCG tests and those offering medical information need to be regulated as medical. This is a classic case in point of potential and REAL missed cases.
That being said. It is November AKA Family History Month. You should absolutely and bring it to your doctor.
The Sherpa Says: No surprises Charis, I saw this with some DTC cases I have had, passed it on to Ken who passed it on to NIH and The IOM. This is the huge problem with hype and over promise. It always fails to deliver, unfortunately in this case at a great risk to consumers.
(1) pressed about
(2) Charis Eng MD PhD
(3) watch the webcast about it here!
(4) Ken Offit’s
(5) I told Mary Carmichael of Newsweek this!
(6) This stuff is medical data and I Told Thomas Goetz of Wired this!
(7) Even the WSJ has gotten it!
(8) take your family history
(9) If they don’t know what to do with it, call us. We do.
Incoming Post Search Feeds:
petru aurelian simionescu 2013
techno fruhstuck correspondence heart beat
latest indian mision mars
Dr biochemistry gmail edu
NASA comet ison update
ppsspp monster hunter freedom unite tablet
Modern marvels regenerative medicine
liberty generator tube
nasa nibiru 10 11 2013
- Knowing Genetic Risk for Cancer May Not Change Behavior - October 29th, 2014
- ACMG To Introduce New, First-of-its-Kind Monthly Live Online Genomics Case Conference Series - October 27th, 2014
- UT Southwestern receives CPRIT grant to expand genetic screening services in North Texas - October 27th, 2014
- Genetic disorder discovered - October 27th, 2014
- Genetic Study Suggests Possible Causal Role for Cholesterol In Heart Valve Disease - October 27th, 2014
- Genomics Research Lab Planned For Branford - October 25th, 2014
- UTSW researchers receive CPRIT funding to expand genetic screening program - October 24th, 2014
- Heres How Well Your Genes Can Predict Your Breast Cancer Risk - October 24th, 2014
- UT Southwestern Researchers Receive CPRIT Funding to Expand Genetic Screening Program to Reach Medically Underserved ... - October 24th, 2014
- EU backs drug for rare sun intolerance from Australia's Clinuvel - October 24th, 2014
- Good Start Genetics Presents New Next-Generation Screening Approach to Preimplantation Genetic Screening - October 22nd, 2014
- Genetic Testing Market Outlook 2018 - October 22nd, 2014
- Research and Markets: Genetic Testing Market Outlook 2018 Featuring the Ten Most Active Genetic Testing Market Players ... - October 22nd, 2014
- Data on Maternal Age and Successful Egg Freezing With Preimplantation Genetic Screening (PGS) Presented at American ... - October 22nd, 2014
- Many Elderly Found with Puzzling Mutations Linked to Leukemia, Lymphoma - October 22nd, 2014
- New Uterine Lavage Method for Use in Genetic Disease Screening Revealed at Annual ASRM Meeting - October 22nd, 2014
- Genetic variant helps protect Latinas from breast cancer - October 21st, 2014
- Exome Sequencing Becoming A Powerful New Diagnostic Tool For Genetic Disorders - October 20th, 2014
- Genetic variant protects some Latina women from breast cancer - October 20th, 2014
- Whole exome sequencing can assist in early diagnosis of various disorders - October 20th, 2014
- Alnylam Launches Alnylam Assist, Dedicated to Providing Support to Patients, Families, and Caregivers in Certain ... - October 20th, 2014
- Genetic changes in blood cells of older people linked to lymphoma, leukemia - October 20th, 2014
- Researchers identify genetic variant in Latina women that protects against breast cancer - October 20th, 2014
- Many Older People Have Mutations Linked to Leukemia, Lymphoma in Their Blood Cells - October 19th, 2014
- Whole exome sequencing closer to becoming 'new family history' - October 19th, 2014
- New Test Scans All Genes Simultaneously to Identify Single Mutation Causing Child's Rare Genetic Disease - October 19th, 2014
- Genetic risk for ADHD contributes to language, attention deficits in general population - October 17th, 2014
- New book from CSHL Press with focus on genetics, personalized medicine and human diversity - October 17th, 2014
- Assurex Health and CAMH awarded $6 million grant from Genome Canada - October 17th, 2014
- Pathologist and Genetic Counselor Available for Interviews on the "Angelina Jolie Effect" and What Patients Need to Know - October 16th, 2014
- New guideline in genetic testing for certain types of muscular dystrophy - October 16th, 2014
- Genetic Testing Guidelines Issued For Muscular Dystrophy - October 16th, 2014
- Genetic Defect Links Rare Infections to Autoimmune Diseases - October 16th, 2014
- Rare genetic disease protects against bipolar disorder - October 14th, 2014
- UMMS, UMMSM researchers identify key genetic pathway underlying bipolar disorder - October 14th, 2014
- Breast cancer genetic screening offers vital information, uncertainty - October 14th, 2014
- Penn Medicine's Basser Research Center for BRCA announces $6.9 million in new grants - October 14th, 2014
- Guideline offers direction in genetic testing for certain types of muscular dystrophy - October 13th, 2014
- Centre for Dermatology and Genetic Medicine - Wikipedia ... - October 12th, 2014
- Mountain Lions In Southern California Face Genetic Decay - October 11th, 2014
- How to Cope With a Positive Genetic Test Result - October 11th, 2014
- Global Genetic Testing Market - Industry Analysis And Market Forecast 2014-2020 - October 10th, 2014
- An Undervalued Medical Stock At The Forefront Of Predictive Medicine - October 10th, 2014
- Scientists find lung cancer can lie hidden for 20 years - October 10th, 2014
- A highway runs through it: Mountain lions in southern California face genetic decay - October 9th, 2014
- Genetic Tests: With More Info Comes More Questions. NYIT Expert Available to Comment - October 8th, 2014
- High-sugar diet no problem for genetic mutants - October 7th, 2014
- Genetic test reveals risk of atrial fibrillation, stroke - October 3rd, 2014
- Genetic test reveals risk of atrial fibrillation and stroke - October 3rd, 2014
- Dr. Patrick Soon-Shiong Launches Chan Soon-Shiong Institute of Molecular Medicine to Transform Health Systems - October 3rd, 2014
- 23andme genetic testing service raises ethical questions - October 3rd, 2014
- Gene interacts with stress and leads to heart disease in some people - October 2nd, 2014
- Genetic susceptibility to psychosocial stress can increase risk of cardiovascular disease - October 2nd, 2014
- Drug Treats Inherited Form Of Intellectual Disability In Mice - October 2nd, 2014
- Genetic Analysis Fails To Support Vitamin D To Prevent Diabetes - October 2nd, 2014
- Pitt team searches for genetic roots of cleft lip, palate - October 1st, 2014
- Pitt researchers awarded $11.8 million NIH grant to explore genetic roots of cleft lip, palate - October 1st, 2014
- Pitt Researchers Search for Genetic Roots of Cleft Lip, Palate with Help from NIH Grant - September 30th, 2014
- Genetic test would help 'cut bowel cancer spread' - September 30th, 2014
- National team awarded $16 million NIH grant to study genetics of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder - September 25th, 2014
- Many fear lack of confidentiality and disclosure regarding genetic test's purpose - September 24th, 2014
- Genetic Technologies Announces Appointment of Independent Non-Executive Directors - September 24th, 2014
- Study Explores Drug Users' Opinions on Genetic Testing - September 24th, 2014
- Alnylam to Webcast Presentation at Leerink Partners Rare Disease Roundtable - September 24th, 2014
- NYU-Mount Sinai Beth Israel study explores drug users' opinions on genetic testing - September 24th, 2014
- Dr. David Goldstein to Direct Columbia's Institute for Genomic Medicine as Key Part of University-Wide Initiative - September 24th, 2014
- Stanford scientists use stem cells to learn how common mutation in Asians affects heart health - September 24th, 2014
- Alnylam to Webcast Presentation at 21st Annual NewsMakers in the Biotech Industry Conference - September 20th, 2014
- Sunquest Information Systems and Partners HealthCare Announce Strategic Alliance - September 19th, 2014
- Institut Pasteur de Montevideo, Genomic Medicine Institute-Seoul National University, and Macrogen Launch Urugenomes ... - September 19th, 2014
- Newer tests clarify hereditary risk of cancer - September 19th, 2014
- $7.8 million given to Carver College of Medicine - September 18th, 2014
- Large study reveals new genetic variants that raise risk for prostate cancer - September 18th, 2014
- Genetic Study Contributes To Greater Understanding Of Prostate Cancer - September 16th, 2014
- Research and Markets: Europe Genetic Testing Market - Industry Analysis And Market Forecast 2014-2020 - September 16th, 2014
- Research and Markets: North America Genetic Testing Market - Industry Analysis and Market Forecast (2014-2020) - September 16th, 2014
- LabCorp/ARCA biopharma GENETIC-AF Poster Presented at the 18th Annual Scientific Meeting of the Heart Failure Society ... - September 16th, 2014
- Genetic Research Reveals Eight Distinct Types Of Schizophrenia - September 16th, 2014
- International study identifies new genetic variants indicating risk for prostate cancer - September 15th, 2014
- Center for Vascular Medicine Offers Genetic Testing For Personalized Vascular Care - September 15th, 2014