You heard it here. A recent study abstract and from my friend , Clinical Geneticist, Internist and all around really smart lady spoke today about her findings of a head to head, DTCG vs Family History at discovering cancer risk.
I actually sent some data way about a similar thing way back when, Ken is yet another, really smart guy. He wasn’t surprised. Nor was I when I heard Dr. Eng’s findings.
First, Caveat Emptor
This is an abstract! Repeat after me……
What does that mean?
1. It is not peer reviewed fully
2. It is not published yet
3. It is preliminary data
This test was Navigenics Compass vs Family History in 22 females with breast cancer, 22 males with prostate cancer and 44 people with colorectal cancer.
What was the result? Family History placed far more people in the proper high risk category. 8:1
Family History put 22 people in the appropriate High Risk Hereditary Category, DTCG only one.
Further, it looks to me that the Navi “Gene” Scan missed several high risk patients who actually had MMR mutations (I.E. Genetic Cancer)…..D’Oh.
First off, this is like a case study. But it signals a HUGE shortcoming of DTCG. False reassurance.
I have been beating this over the head for 3 years now! These tests that have “medical” relevance need to be couched with proper medical guidance.
There are huge shortcomings in the current offering of DTCG tests and those offering medical information need to be regulated as medical. This is a classic case in point of potential and REAL missed cases.
That being said. It is November AKA Family History Month. You should absolutely and bring it to your doctor.
The Sherpa Says: No surprises Charis, I saw this with some DTC cases I have had, passed it on to Ken who passed it on to NIH and The IOM. This is the huge problem with hype and over promise. It always fails to deliver, unfortunately in this case at a great risk to consumers.
(2) pressed about
(3) Charis Eng MD PhD
(4) watch the webcast about it here!
(5) Ken Offit’s
(6) I told Mary Carmichael of Newsweek this!
(7) This stuff is medical data and I Told Thomas Goetz of Wired this!
(8) Even the WSJ has gotten it!
(9) take your family history
(10) If they don’t know what to do with it, call us. We do.
Incoming Post Search Feeds:
liberty generator tube
futurists physical therapy
ppsspp monster hunter freedom unite tablet
petru aurelian simionescu 2013
NASA comet ison update
latest indian mision mars
nasa nibiru 10 11 2013
techno fruhstuck correspondence heart beat
Modern marvels regenerative medicine
- New theory regarding cause and development of endometriosis - March 10th, 2014
- Personalized Medicine and Companion Diagnostic Market Discussed in New Report by Kelly Scientific Publications ... - March 9th, 2014
- Task force on precision medicine takes interdisciplinary approach - March 9th, 2014
- New theory on cause of endometriosis - March 9th, 2014
- The science taboo: There may be genetic realities to race, but not along the lines we expect - March 8th, 2014
- A Hacked Database Prompts Debate about Genetic Privacy - March 7th, 2014
- The dawning of the age of genomic medicine, finally - March 6th, 2014
- Alnylam to Webcast Presentation at Barclays Global Healthcare Conference - March 6th, 2014
- Proove Biosciences Will Present Clinical Research and Data at the American Academy of Pain Medicines 30th Annual ... - March 6th, 2014
- Clinics Offer Expensive Whole-Genome Tests for Undiagnosed Disorders - March 6th, 2014
- A Father's Genetic Quest Pays Off - March 6th, 2014
- ALS-linked gene causes disease by changing genetic material's shape - March 6th, 2014
- Personalized Medicine: The New Paradigm in the Prevention and Treatment of Diseases - March 6th, 2014
- Mountain Maladies: Genetic Screening Susses Out Susceptibility to Altitude Sickness - March 6th, 2014
- OGT Expands Leadership in Genomic Medicine with Acquisition of Cytocell Ltd - March 5th, 2014
- CHOP researcher finds more genetic signals linking weight and heart health risk factors - March 5th, 2014
- Researcher Finds More Genetic Signals Linking Weight and Risk Factors in Heart Health - March 5th, 2014
- Genetic testing company Recombine raises $3.3 million - March 5th, 2014
- Penn Study Results Confirm BMI is a Direct Cause of Type 2 Diabetes and High Blood Pressure - March 4th, 2014
- Type 2 Diabetes: Discovery of Rare Gene Mutation Could Create Anti-Diabetes Drug - March 4th, 2014
- Genetic And Microbiome Discoveries Point The Way To New Treatments For IBD - March 4th, 2014
- Inheritance: How "Rare" Diseases Unlock Cures for Everyone - Video - March 3rd, 2014
- Funding for medicine imaging centre - March 3rd, 2014
- Gene Study Offers Clues to Why Autism Strikes More Males - March 1st, 2014
- Alnylam Announces Closing of Previously Announced Alliance with Genzyme for Discovery, Development, and ... - February 28th, 2014
- Cushing's syndrome: Genetic basis for cortisol excess - February 28th, 2014
- Lineagen Announces Identification of 39 Genetic Variants as Novel Risk Factors for Developing Autism Spectrum Disorder ... - February 27th, 2014
- Personalized medicine has finally arrived -- or has it? - February 27th, 2014
- Genetic secret of mosquito resistance to DDT, bed net insecticides discovered - February 27th, 2014
- Dr Shane McKee - Video - February 25th, 2014
- Self Regional, Clemson University expands partnership to accelerate rate of innovation in genetic medicine - February 25th, 2014
- Alnylam to Webcast Presentation at Cowen and Company 34th Annual Health Care Conference - February 25th, 2014
- Researchers crack the genetic secret of mosquito resistance to DDT and ITNs - February 25th, 2014
- CU, Self announce research collaboration - February 22nd, 2014
- Self Regional Healthcare, Clemson, Greenwood Genetic Center partnership creates national hub for human genetics research - February 21st, 2014
- Self Regional Healthcare, Clemson, Genetic Center create national genetics research hub - February 21st, 2014
- Substance Use and Traumatic Brain Injury: Risk Reduction and Prevention - Video - February 20th, 2014
- Babies who develop leukemia appear to inherit strong genetic predisposition to disease - February 20th, 2014
- Addiction and the Brain - drug or alcohol abuse is a disease. - Video - February 19th, 2014
- Infants with Leukemia Inherit Susceptibility - February 19th, 2014
- Personalized Medicine a Cost-Effective Way to Tailor Drug Therapy After Stents - February 19th, 2014
- LifeLabs Medical Laboratory Services Acquires Centogene's Canadian Business - February 19th, 2014
- Genetic Diversity Of The European Beaver In Peril Due To Human Predation - February 19th, 2014
- Penn Medicine and Wistar Scientists Create Precise Tumor Classifier for Glioblastoma - February 19th, 2014
- Moments of Truth in Genetic Medicine - Video - February 18th, 2014
- N-of-One and Appistry Partner to Provide Comprehensive, Affordable Genomic Sequencing Analysis and Interpretation ... - February 18th, 2014
- Researchers shed new light on the genetic history of the European beaver - February 18th, 2014
- UCI study finds specific genetic cue for sudden cardiac death syndrome - February 18th, 2014
- Swathi Rao PA-C, an Indianapolis Clinician, Graduates to Become a Part of the Elite Group of Certified Practitioners ... - February 16th, 2014
- How Alternative Medicine Has Infiltrated U.S. Medical Schools - Steve Salzberg - Video - February 13th, 2014
- The Genetics of Drug Tolerance - February 13th, 2014
- Potential route to bladder cancer diagnostics, treatments - February 13th, 2014
- Genetic Subtypes of Bladder Cancer Reflect Breast Cancer Biology - February 12th, 2014
- Research and Markets: Genetic Testing Market Likely to Grow at a CAGR of Around 9% During 2012-2017 - February 12th, 2014
- Researchers discover that bladder cancer shares genetic similarities with two forms of breast cancer - February 12th, 2014
- Mount Sinai Genetic Testing Laboratory Launches More Accurate Carrier Screening Test for Spinal Muscular Atrophy - February 12th, 2014
- Penn Medicine and CHOP Study: New Genetic Analysis Confirms Connection Between Cholesterol and Heart Disease - February 12th, 2014
- Genetic Disease Causes, Types, and Conditions Information ... - February 11th, 2014
- New Utah Research Reveals Genetic Mutation Causes PCH - February 11th, 2014
- Genetics in Medicine - Nature - February 10th, 2014
- Seven new genetic regions linked to type 2 diabetes - February 10th, 2014
- Gene screen eyes mainstream - February 9th, 2014
- Genetic signals affecting lipid levels used to investigate heart disease risk - February 9th, 2014
- FluidX Capper/Decapper - Video - February 7th, 2014
- JANUS MDT - Video - February 7th, 2014
- Pilot program offers genomic testing to certain patients ... - February 7th, 2014
- Gender influences symptoms of genetic disorder - February 7th, 2014
- Researchers use genetic signals affecting lipid levels to probe heart disease risk - February 7th, 2014
- Genetics & Medicine - Site Guide - NCBI - National Center ... - February 6th, 2014
- JANUS Varispan - Video - February 6th, 2014
- Regents push for change in genetic medicine - February 6th, 2014
- Genomind'sNew Genetic Testing at Princeton House Promotes Personalized Care - February 6th, 2014
- Concise Analysis of International Molecular Diagnostics in Genetic Testing - February 6th, 2014
- Why certain women smokers are prone to early menopause - February 6th, 2014
- National Poll Shows Public Divided on Genetic Testing to Predict Cancer Risk - February 5th, 2014
- Penn study reveals genetics impact risk of early menopause among some female smokers - February 5th, 2014
- Study Reveals Genetics Impact Risk of Early Menopause Among Some Female Smokers - February 5th, 2014
- Research and Markets: Concise Analysis on the International Personalized Medicine Market - Updated 2014 Report - February 5th, 2014
- New Hope As Researchers Discover Genetic Mutations That Cause Rare and Deadly Lung Disease - February 4th, 2014
- New hope: Researchers discover genetic mutations that cause rare and deadly lung disease - February 4th, 2014