You heard it here. A recent study abstract and from my friend , Clinical Geneticist, Internist and all around really smart lady spoke today about her findings of a head to head, DTCG vs Family History at discovering cancer risk.
I actually sent some data way about a similar thing way back when, Ken is yet another, really smart guy. He wasn’t surprised. Nor was I when I heard Dr. Eng’s findings.
First, Caveat Emptor
This is an abstract! Repeat after me……
What does that mean?
1. It is not peer reviewed fully
2. It is not published yet
3. It is preliminary data
This test was Navigenics Compass vs Family History in 22 females with breast cancer, 22 males with prostate cancer and 44 people with colorectal cancer.
What was the result? Family History placed far more people in the proper high risk category. 8:1
Family History put 22 people in the appropriate High Risk Hereditary Category, DTCG only one.
Further, it looks to me that the Navi “Gene” Scan missed several high risk patients who actually had MMR mutations (I.E. Genetic Cancer)…..D’Oh.
First off, this is like a case study. But it signals a HUGE shortcoming of DTCG. False reassurance.
I have been beating this over the head for 3 years now! These tests that have “medical” relevance need to be couched with proper medical guidance.
There are huge shortcomings in the current offering of DTCG tests and those offering medical information need to be regulated as medical. This is a classic case in point of potential and REAL missed cases.
That being said. It is November AKA Family History Month. You should absolutely and bring it to your doctor.
The Sherpa Says: No surprises Charis, I saw this with some DTC cases I have had, passed it on to Ken who passed it on to NIH and The IOM. This is the huge problem with hype and over promise. It always fails to deliver, unfortunately in this case at a great risk to consumers.
(2) pressed about
(3) Charis Eng MD PhD
(4) watch the webcast about it here!
(5) Ken Offit’s
(6) I told Mary Carmichael of Newsweek this!
(7) This stuff is medical data and I Told Thomas Goetz of Wired this!
(8) Even the WSJ has gotten it!
(9) take your family history
(10) If they don’t know what to do with it, call us. We do.
Incoming Post Search Feeds:
Modern marvels regenerative medicine
latest indian mision mars
liberty generator tube
futurists physical therapy
techno fruhstuck correspondence heart beat
nasa nibiru 10 11 2013
Dr biochemistry gmail edu
petru aurelian simionescu 2013
- Find out the truth about genetic medicine - September 5th, 2013
- Eric Lander on Recent, and Surprising, Advances in Genetic Medicine - Video - July 5th, 2013
- OMICS Group Incorporation Acquires Journal of Molecular and Genetic Medicine from LibPubMedia - June 15th, 2013
- Genetic medicine unit now seeing 800 new cases a year in bid to prevent inherited cancers - May 16th, 2013
- Simple and inexpensive method to cut DNA could transform genetic medicine - January 10th, 2013
- Concepts In Genetic Medicine - Video - December 28th, 2012
- Immune System Changes May Drive Aggressiveness of Recurrent Tumors - December 28th, 2012
- Genetic Variations Cause Diabetes - December 26th, 2012
- Autism Cures Promised by DNA Testers Belied by Regulators - December 25th, 2012
- Concepts in Genetic - Video - December 24th, 2012
- Hundreds Of Genetic Mutations Linked To Autism - December 24th, 2012
- New Findings in the Search for Genetic Clues to Insulin Production - December 24th, 2012
- Three new genetic links to colorectal cancer - December 24th, 2012
- 3 new genetic links to colorectal cancer - December 24th, 2012
- Genetic clues to insulin production: Genomic analysis method helps track genetic contributors relevant to diabetes - December 24th, 2012
- Canadians answer call to share genetic data - December 22nd, 2012
- Major source of evolutionary differences among species uncovered - December 22nd, 2012
- Rogers Textbook of - Video - December 21st, 2012
- DNA Disruptors: Our Genetic Future (Pt. 3) - December 21st, 2012
- DNA Disruptors: Our Genetic Future (Pt. 2) - December 21st, 2012
- Genetic Mutations Lead To Autism And Other Disorders - December 21st, 2012
- DNA Disruptors: Our Genetic Future (Pt. 1) - December 21st, 2012
- Researchers reveal genetic basis for fundamental differences between humans and other vertebrates - December 21st, 2012
- Genetic action shows results on childhood brain disease Canavan - December 21st, 2012
- Genetic defect causing fragile X-related disorders more common than thought - December 21st, 2012
- Researchers Track The Origins Of HIV Through Genetic Variants - December 20th, 2012
- Study Finds Genetic Variation That Could Help Predict Mortality in Patients Suffering Sepsis - December 20th, 2012
- Genetic variation that could help predict mortality in patients suffering sepsis identified - December 20th, 2012
- The Promise -- and Perils -- of Personalized Medicine - December 20th, 2012
- Genetic manipulation of urate alters neurodegeneration in mouse model of Parkinson's disease - December 18th, 2012
- Move to protect traditional knowledge, genetic resources - December 18th, 2012
- Univ. of MD School of Medicine to study drug-resistant malaria in Myanmar - December 18th, 2012
- Report from the front lines of personalized reproductive medicine revolution - December 16th, 2012
- Two new genetic mutations associated with Cowden syndrome identified - December 14th, 2012
- Cleveland Clinic researcher identifies 2 new genetic mutations associated with Cowden syndrome - December 14th, 2012
- Home genetic test to dip to $99 - December 13th, 2012
- World's First "Hearts and Minds" Clinic for Adults with Genetic Syndrome - December 12th, 2012
- The £100 genetic map means everybody's DNA make-up could be available in 'very near future' - December 12th, 2012
- Genetic knowledge helps tailor treatment - December 12th, 2012
- Everybody's DNA could be on genetic map in 'very near future' - December 10th, 2012
- Genetic Fingerprint in Your Belly? - December 10th, 2012
- Hershey Medical Center's personalized medicine 'will do people in the community a lot of good,' expert says - December 9th, 2012
- Dispatch Special Report | Unlocking genetic secrets - December 9th, 2012
- Nobody Is Perfect: Study Shows People Have 400 Genetic Flaws In DNA - December 8th, 2012
- New Genetic Testing Reveals More Prenatal Abnormalities - December 8th, 2012
- Unlocking the genetic mysteries behind stillbirth - December 6th, 2012
- New prenatal genetic test gives parents more answers - December 6th, 2012
- A New Genetic Fingerprint Lives in Your Gut - December 6th, 2012
- Advanced Genetic Tests Spot More Defects Before Birth - December 6th, 2012
- Cancer, Genetic Risks and Precision Medicine Highlighted at Showcase - December 6th, 2012
- Genetic Test Reveals More About Potential Birth Defects Than Conventional Methods - December 6th, 2012
- Inflammation may be a cause of plaque buildup in heart vessels - December 5th, 2012
- International study points to inflammation as a cause of plaque buildup in heart vessels - December 5th, 2012
- Genetic variation recent, varies among populations - December 5th, 2012
- New Book on Genome and Personalized Medicine Preps Doctors for Changing Reality - December 5th, 2012
- Scientists identify 15 new genetic regions associated with coronary artery disease - December 5th, 2012
- Personalized Molecular Medicine Firm Genection Launched - December 5th, 2012
- Partners going personal - December 5th, 2012
- Weill Cornell researchers elected Fellows of AAAS - November 30th, 2012
- My Beautiful Genome: exposing our genetic future, one quirk at a time – review - November 26th, 2012
- New genetic test for fetus can give parents more questions than answers - November 16th, 2012
- 1092 human genomes sequenced to determine standard range of human genetic variation - November 2nd, 2012
- 03: Genetic Medicine (MRes): Bill Newman: why choose this course? - Video - October 30th, 2012
- 05: Genetic Medicine (MRes): Bill Newman: Manchester population genetics - Video - October 30th, 2012
- Genetic Medicine (MRes): Bill Newman: Career prospects - Video - October 30th, 2012
- The Health Quarter - Video - October 30th, 2012
- Hope for Duchenne sufferers - Video - October 30th, 2012
- Dr. David Valle Speaks About Evolutionary Medicine - Video - October 30th, 2012
- Advancing Health Care: Personalized Genetic Medicine - Video - October 30th, 2012
- Implementing of Genetic Medicine Programs: Laboratories - Debra Leonard - Video - October 30th, 2012
- Deadly Medicine Panel Discussion: Meanings and Implications of Nazism and Eugenics - Video - October 30th, 2012
- Cancer Trends Plenary Session (part II) -- Bio-IT World Expo 2012 - Video - October 30th, 2012
- Targeting genetic medicine - Video - October 30th, 2012
- LA Society for the Arts in Healthcare Event - Video - October 30th, 2012
- Yolantha Harrison-Pace: Author, Poet, Playwright - Video - October 30th, 2012
- USC Institute for Genetic Medicine Art Show - Video - October 30th, 2012
- Dolan Lecture Series 2000 - Ronald G. Crystal, MD - Video - October 30th, 2012
- Implementation of Genetic Medicine Programs: Laboratories - Stephen Chanok - Video - October 30th, 2012
- Shane McKee: Showreel 1 - Video - October 30th, 2012
- 3D Printing: The Future of Manufacturing - Video - October 30th, 2012