You heard it here. A recent study abstract and pressed about from my friend Charis Eng MD PhD, Clinical Geneticist, Internist and all around really smart lady spoke today about her findings of a head to head, DTCG vs Family History at discovering cancer risk.
You can watch the webcast about it here!
I actually sent some data Ken Offit’s way about a similar thing way back when, Ken is yet another, really smart guy. He wasn’t surprised. Nor was I when I heard Dr. Eng’s findings.
First, Caveat Emptor
This is an abstract! Repeat after me……
What does that mean?
1. It is not peer reviewed fully
2. It is not published yet
3. It is preliminary data
This test was Navigenics Compass vs Family History in 22 females with breast cancer, 22 males with prostate cancer and 44 people with colorectal cancer.
What was the result? Family History placed far more people in the proper high risk category. 8:1
Family History put 22 people in the appropriate High Risk Hereditary Category, DTCG only one.
Further, it looks to me that the Navi “Gene” Scan missed several high risk patients who actually had MMR mutations (I.E. Genetic Cancer)…..D’Oh.
First off, this is like a case study. But it signals a HUGE shortcoming of DTCG. False reassurance.
I have been beating this over the head for 3 years now! These tests that have “medical” relevance need to be couched with proper medical guidance.
There are huge shortcomings in the current offering of DTCG tests and those offering medical information need to be regulated as medical. This is a classic case in point of potential and REAL missed cases.
That being said. It is November AKA Family History Month. You should absolutely take your family history and bring it to your doctor. If they don’t know what to do with it, call us. We do.
The Sherpa Says: No surprises Charis, I saw this with some DTC cases I have had, passed it on to Ken who passed it on to NIH and The IOM. This is the huge problem with hype and over promise. It always fails to deliver, unfortunately in this case at a great risk to consumers.
- Genetic Medicine | Munroe-Meyer Institute | University of ... - April 10th, 2016
- USC Institute for Genetic Medicine - March 20th, 2016
- Department of Genetic Medicine (Research) | Medicine ... - March 16th, 2016
- Genomic Medicine - Genome.gov - February 6th, 2016
- preimplantation genetic diagnosis - Penn Medicine - December 21st, 2015
- Discipline of Genetic Medicine - The University of Sydney - October 12th, 2015
- Graduate Program in Genetic Counseling : Center for ... - October 7th, 2015
- Genetic Testing Clinical Reference For Clinicians ... - September 25th, 2015
- Contact Genetic Medicine | Childrens Hospital at Johns ... - September 25th, 2015
- Genetic Counseling Program - University of South Carolina ... - September 25th, 2015
- Genetic Medicine Clinic - September 15th, 2015
- Genome Medicine - September 6th, 2015
- NIH Clinical Center: Graduate Medical Education (GME ... - August 22nd, 2015
- Genetics | Genetics | Stanford Medicine - August 18th, 2015
- Genetics and Genetic Testing - KidsHealth - August 15th, 2015
- Genetic testing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - August 8th, 2015
- Journal of Medical Genetics - BMJ Journals - July 20th, 2015
- University of Miami - The Dr. John T. Macdonald Foundation ... - July 15th, 2015
- Home | HMS Department of Genetics - July 15th, 2015
- Department of Genetics - Stanford University School of ... - July 11th, 2015
- Medical Genetics at University of Washington - July 11th, 2015
- ESPERITE (ESP) validates SERENITY, the breast and ovarian cancer risk screening test that sequences the entire BRCA1 ... - April 14th, 2015
- NorthShore University HealthSystem Launches Comprehensive Center for Personalized Medicine, Ushering in New Era in ... - April 14th, 2015
- Genelex Enables Genetic Risk Analysis and Precision Medicine in EHRs and Population Health Software with New APIs - April 13th, 2015
- Aetna, Cigna balk as Angelina effect spurs genetic cancer testing - April 13th, 2015
- Likely genetic source of muscle weakness found in six previously undiagnosed children - April 11th, 2015
- TGen finds likely genetic source of muscle weakness in 6 previously undiagnosed children - April 11th, 2015
- TGen scientists discover the likely cause of rare type of muscle weakness in six children - April 11th, 2015
- UK biotech Silence Therapeutics raises $58 million for its RNA drive - April 8th, 2015
- Silence Therapeutics raises 38 million pounds for its RNA drive - April 8th, 2015
- UK biotech Silence Therapeutics raises $58 mln for its RNA drive - April 8th, 2015
- It Takes Two To Tango: Combine Diagnostics And Drugs For Precision Medicine - April 8th, 2015
- Study identifies genetic variants linked to Hirschsprungs disease - April 8th, 2015
- Genetic studies reveal cause of Hirschsprung's disease - April 6th, 2015
- New genetic test available in Canada screens for hereditary conditions - April 5th, 2015
- New genetic clues emerge on origin of Hirschsprung's disease - April 3rd, 2015
- Researchers produce iPSC model to better understand genetic lung/liver disease - April 2nd, 2015
- Cancer's relentless evolution - April 2nd, 2015
- iPSC model helps to better understand genetic lung/liver disease - April 2nd, 2015
- Some false postive prenatal genetic screens due to mother's extra DNA segments - April 2nd, 2015
- Scientists drill down to genetic root of prostate tumor development - April 1st, 2015
- Marcus Miller, Ph.D., receives ACMG Foundation/David L. Rimoin Inspiring Excellence Award - April 1st, 2015
- South-east England ahead on genetic tests for inherited eye conditions - April 1st, 2015
- Short and Sweet: Why Modern Molecular Biology Needs Oligos - April 1st, 2015
- Genetic Variability in the Platelet Linked to Increased Risk for Clotting - April 1st, 2015
- Recombine Announces Launch of Its CarrierMap Carrier Screening Test Through Sequenom - March 31st, 2015
- Interleukin Genetics and Employee Benefit Consulting Group LLC Partner to Expand Awareness and Adoption of PerioPredict - March 31st, 2015
- ACMG Foundation announces inaugural recipient of Lovell Award - March 31st, 2015
- PACK360@USC Institute for Genetic Medicine Art Gallery - Video - March 28th, 2015
- Personalised meds on way for prostate cancer patients? - March 28th, 2015
- How Unipathic Medicine Is Using a "Genetic Medical Blueprint" to Better Enhance Cancer Treatments - March 28th, 2015
- Scientists Spot Gene Tied to Severe Autism in Girls - March 27th, 2015
- In A Genetic Portrait Of A Nation, A Map Of The Future - March 27th, 2015
- New autism-causing genetic variant identified - March 26th, 2015
- Patricia Hall, Ph.D., earns 2015 King Trainee Award for best publication, Genetics in Medicine - March 26th, 2015
- Iceland's Giant Genome Project Points to Future of Medicine - March 26th, 2015
- DNA of 'an entire nation' assessed - March 26th, 2015
- What We Learn When We Sequence the Genes of an Entire Nation - March 26th, 2015
- Amgen Releases A Giant Genetic Portrait Of A Nation -- And A Map Of The Future - March 26th, 2015
- Proove Biosciences Hosts Symposium on Incorporating Genetic Testing to Optimize the Management of Pain - March 26th, 2015
- CombiMatrix Selects Cryoport as Logistics Partner for the Distribution of Its New Genetic Screening Service - March 25th, 2015
- Extreme cryptography paves way to personalized medicine - March 24th, 2015
- Hope for bowel cancer treatments - March 23rd, 2015
- New potential for personalized treatments in bowel cancer - March 23rd, 2015
- Genetic flaws in bowel cancer may trigger immune response at site of tumours - March 23rd, 2015
- University of Glasgow leads the way in drug treatments - March 22nd, 2015
- The Race to Build a Search Engine for Your DNA - March 20th, 2015
- Letting go of the (genetic) apron strings - March 20th, 2015
- GenePeeks Appoints Mara G. Aspinall as Chairman of Board of Directors - March 19th, 2015
- 23andMe Appoints Board Certified Genetic Counselor Erynn Gordon to 23andMe's Management Team - March 19th, 2015
- Scientists identify how mRNA deciphers critical information within genetic code - March 18th, 2015
- ARCA biopharma Provides GENETIC-AF Clinical Trial Update - March 18th, 2015
- Genetic background determines whether aspirin/NSAIDS will reduce colorectal cancer risk - March 18th, 2015
- Dr. Mary- Claire King to speak at Morehouse School of Medicine on how genetic screening for all women can lower risk ... - March 18th, 2015
- Nano-Medicine Market Size is Expected to be Worth $130.9 Billion by 2016 - March 18th, 2015
- Want Miracle Drugs? You Have to Get Lucky - March 16th, 2015
- AACC Cautions FDA Against Over-Regulating the Genetic Testing Technology Vital to Precision Medicine - March 16th, 2015
- Genetics: No Evidence of Role in Racial Mortality Gap - March 16th, 2015
- Genetic discovery provides clues to how TB may evade the immune system - March 16th, 2015
- NIH Awards Coriell Institute $14M Grant to Collect, Characterize, and Distribute Cells and DNA from Hundreds of Human ... - March 16th, 2015