You heard it here. A recent study abstract and pressed about from my friend Charis Eng MD PhD, Clinical Geneticist, Internist and all around really smart lady spoke today about her findings of a head to head, DTCG vs Family History at discovering cancer risk.
You can watch the webcast about it here!
I actually sent some data Ken Offit’s way about a similar thing way back when, Ken is yet another, really smart guy. He wasn’t surprised. Nor was I when I heard Dr. Eng’s findings.
First, Caveat Emptor
This is an abstract! Repeat after me……
What does that mean?
1. It is not peer reviewed fully
2. It is not published yet
3. It is preliminary data
This test was Navigenics Compass vs Family History in 22 females with breast cancer, 22 males with prostate cancer and 44 people with colorectal cancer.
What was the result? Family History placed far more people in the proper high risk category. 8:1
Family History put 22 people in the appropriate High Risk Hereditary Category, DTCG only one.
Further, it looks to me that the Navi “Gene” Scan missed several high risk patients who actually had MMR mutations (I.E. Genetic Cancer)…..D’Oh.
First off, this is like a case study. But it signals a HUGE shortcoming of DTCG. False reassurance.
I have been beating this over the head for 3 years now! These tests that have “medical” relevance need to be couched with proper medical guidance.
There are huge shortcomings in the current offering of DTCG tests and those offering medical information need to be regulated as medical. This is a classic case in point of potential and REAL missed cases.
That being said. It is November AKA Family History Month. You should absolutely take your family history and bring it to your doctor. If they don’t know what to do with it, call us. We do.
The Sherpa Says: No surprises Charis, I saw this with some DTC cases I have had, passed it on to Ken who passed it on to NIH and The IOM. This is the huge problem with hype and over promise. It always fails to deliver, unfortunately in this case at a great risk to consumers.
- Genes Plus Erratic Sleep May Raise Odds for Obesity - Montana Standard - March 11th, 2017
- Short, Bald Men May Have Their Genes to Blame - Montana Standard - March 11th, 2017
- Social phobia: Indication of a genetic cause - Medical Xpress - Medical Xpress - March 11th, 2017
- Genetic Risk Could Guide Heart Disease Prevention - Medscape - March 11th, 2017
- Precision Medicine Project Mulls How to Return Genetic Test Results to 1 Million Participants - GenomeWeb - March 9th, 2017
- Liberals defy PM, approve genetic testing bill he calls unconstitutional - Medicine Hat News - March 9th, 2017
- Structured assessment and followup for patients with hereditary kidney tumour syndromes. - UroToday - March 9th, 2017
- Proposal Urges Stronger Focus on Social and Environmental Factors in Precision Medicine - Newswise (press release) - March 9th, 2017
- Study parses influence of genes and environment in metabolic disease - Medical Xpress - March 8th, 2017
- New genetic research provides hope for families with rare diseases - the Irish News - March 8th, 2017
- Democrats push for better patient access to genetic testing - STAT - March 8th, 2017
- Genetic driver behind rare skeletal dysplasia condition found - Baylor College of Medicine News (press release) - March 7th, 2017
- Researchers uncover new genetic clues linked to autoimmune kidney disease - News-Medical.net - March 7th, 2017
- HudsonAlpha establishes service to determine genetic risks - WAAY - March 7th, 2017
- Shooting for the Moon: Advancing Cancer Research through Precision Medicine - KBTV Fox 4 Beaumont - March 7th, 2017
- Lifestyle choices condition colon and rectal cancer risk more than genetics - Medical Xpress - March 7th, 2017
- Michigan Medicine opens first clinic in the United States that focuses on prostate cancer risk - News-Medical.net - March 6th, 2017
- At forefront of digital healthcare revolution: Discovery Health helps reinvent way medicine is practiced. - BizNews - March 6th, 2017
- Invitae CEO wants to democratize genetic testing - MedCity News - March 4th, 2017
- What Molecular and Genetic Testing Labs Need to Know to Succeed with Commercialization of Their Precision ... - DARKDaily.com - Laboratory News - March 4th, 2017
- UC Merced professor finds genetic triggers related to cancer - Merced Sun-Star - March 3rd, 2017
- Protecting Patients from Genetic Discrimination - The Scientist - March 2nd, 2017
- Six diseases reap benefits of biomarkers, genetic tests - ModernMedicine - March 2nd, 2017
- Justice minister seeks input from premiers on genetic discrimination bill - Medicine Hat News - March 2nd, 2017
- This well-known health-tech company has a new name - Nashville Business Journal - March 2nd, 2017
- Ever been perscribed the wrong drug? This First Coast pharmacist has a genetic test to prevent it - Jacksonville Business Journal - March 2nd, 2017
- Awards and Honors Across Weill Cornell Medicine - Cornell Chronicle - March 1st, 2017
- Genetic variant linked to overactive inflammatory response - Medical Xpress - March 1st, 2017
- Schizophrenia begins in the womb, study suggests - Medical News Today - March 1st, 2017
- WCM-Q study throws light on genetic medical research - Gulf Times - Gulf Times - March 1st, 2017
- Rare but fatal pediatric brain tumor may be stopped with new molecule - Medical News Today - March 1st, 2017
- Scientists find a striking number of genetic changes can occur early ... - Medical Xpress - February 25th, 2017
- Discovery of genetic mutation may boost cancer therapies - Medical Xpress - February 25th, 2017
- Gene mutations in brain linked to OCD-like behavior - Medical News ... - Medical News Today - February 25th, 2017
- Study finding suggests new ways in which genetic mutations may ... - News-Medical.net - February 25th, 2017
- Can personalized medicine help those with chronic diseases that have environmental triggers? - Genetic Literacy Project - February 24th, 2017
- New Type of Genetic Mutation Identified in Cancer - Cornell Chronicle - February 24th, 2017
- CRISPR Patent Winner to Open Up About Dispute - Medscape - February 24th, 2017
- White House strategist to lead UAB's Personalized Medicine Institute - Birmingham Times - February 24th, 2017
- New Type of Genetic Mutation Identified in Cancer | Newsroom ... - Cornell Chronicle - February 24th, 2017
- Sorting out risk genes for brain development disorders - Medical Xpress - February 24th, 2017
- Direct-to-consumer genomics: Harmful or empowering? - Medical Xpress - February 24th, 2017
- BI announces COPD collaboration with Weill Cornell Medicine - Danbury News Times - February 23rd, 2017
- Many people with harmful genetic variants show no ill effects ... - Spectrum - February 23rd, 2017
- OCD-like behavior linked to genetic mutation - Medical Xpress - Medical Xpress - February 23rd, 2017
- Soon, Medication Will be Custom Tailored to Your Specific Genetics - Futurism - February 23rd, 2017
- Personalized medicine may do more to treat rather than prevent ... - Salon - February 22nd, 2017
- 'Molecular Switch' that Causes Mucosal Autoimmune Diseases Discovered - Sci-News.com - February 22nd, 2017
- Pitt researchers uncover genetic marker that may predict drug ... - News-Medical.net - February 22nd, 2017
- Genetic Variation: Causes and Examples - February 20th, 2017
- Genetic test to determine reaction to medicine is on the market ... - SowetanLIVE - February 20th, 2017
- Multi-disciplinary project receives 390000 grant to discover genetic cause of epilepsy - News-Medical.net - February 20th, 2017
- Courtagen Launches New Avantra Genetics Division to Provide ... - Yahoo Finance - February 20th, 2017
- Dermatology - Stanford University School of Medicine - February 18th, 2017
- Advocacy, Education & Empowerment | GeneticAlliance.org - February 18th, 2017
- Boehringer Ingelheim And Weill Cornell Medicine Announce New ... - Clinical Leader - February 18th, 2017
- Stepping up the hunt for genetic diseases - Medical Xpress - February 17th, 2017
- Personalized medicine may do more to treat rather than prevent chronic diseases - Medical Xpress - February 17th, 2017
- Boehringer Ingelheim and Weill Cornell Medicine announce new ... - Yahoo Finance - February 17th, 2017
- Genetic basis for male baldness identified in large-scale study - Medical News Today - February 16th, 2017
- UNIGE researchers develop new technique to improve diagnosis of genetic diseases - News-Medical.net - February 16th, 2017
- Personalized medicine may do more to treat rather than prevent chronic diseases - NewsOK.com - February 16th, 2017
- AP, HHMI collaborate on expanded science, health coverage - New Jersey Herald - February 16th, 2017
- Scientists identify genetic signature of risk for type 2 diabetes - News-Medical.net - February 15th, 2017
- Scientific Panel Says Editing Heritable Human Genes Could Be OK In The Future - NPR - February 15th, 2017
- Penn gene therapy pioneer teams up with FAST in race ... - Newswise - Newswise (press release) - February 15th, 2017
- Diabetes in your DNA? Scientists zero in on the genetic signature of risk - Medical Xpress - February 14th, 2017
- The secret to health and long life: It's in your genes - Rutland Herald - February 14th, 2017
- In-depth gene search reveals new mutations, drug targets in rare adrenal tumors - Medical Xpress - February 14th, 2017
- China aims for share of precision medicine - Arkansas Online - February 13th, 2017
- Genetic testing provides writer, doc in-depth info - Times Record News - February 13th, 2017
- Diabetes in your DNA? Scientists zero in on the genetic signature of risk - University of Michigan Health System News (press release) - February 13th, 2017
- Specific genetic errors that trigger congenital heart disease can be reproduced in common fruit fly - News-Medical.net - February 12th, 2017
- Study of complex genetic region finds hidden role of NCF1 in ... - Medical Xpress - February 12th, 2017
- Induced pluripotent stem cells don't increase genetic mutations - Science Daily - February 11th, 2017
- China aggressively challenges US lead in precision medicine - Genetic Literacy Project - February 10th, 2017
- New method of genetic engineering indispensable tool in biotechnological applications - Science Daily - February 10th, 2017
- Regenerative Medicine Has a Bright Future - Healthline - February 10th, 2017
- China Turns to Precision Medicine in Fight Against Cancer ... - Bloomberg - February 9th, 2017
- With MSK Leading the Way, Precision Medicine Links Lab Research to Patient Care - Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (blog) - February 9th, 2017