You heard it here. A recent study abstract and from my friend , Clinical Geneticist, Internist and all around really smart lady spoke today about her findings of a head to head, DTCG vs Family History at discovering cancer risk.
I actually sent some data way about a similar thing way back when, Ken is yet another, really smart guy. He wasn’t surprised. Nor was I when I heard Dr. Eng’s findings.
First, Caveat Emptor
This is an abstract! Repeat after me……
What does that mean?
1. It is not peer reviewed fully
2. It is not published yet
3. It is preliminary data
This test was Navigenics Compass vs Family History in 22 females with breast cancer, 22 males with prostate cancer and 44 people with colorectal cancer.
What was the result? Family History placed far more people in the proper high risk category. 8:1
Family History put 22 people in the appropriate High Risk Hereditary Category, DTCG only one.
Further, it looks to me that the Navi “Gene” Scan missed several high risk patients who actually had MMR mutations (I.E. Genetic Cancer)…..D’Oh.
First off, this is like a case study. But it signals a HUGE shortcoming of DTCG. False reassurance.
I have been beating this over the head for 3 years now! These tests that have “medical” relevance need to be couched with proper medical guidance.
There are huge shortcomings in the current offering of DTCG tests and those offering medical information need to be regulated as medical. This is a classic case in point of potential and REAL missed cases.
That being said. It is November AKA Family History Month. You should absolutely and bring it to your doctor.
The Sherpa Says: No surprises Charis, I saw this with some DTC cases I have had, passed it on to Ken who passed it on to NIH and The IOM. This is the huge problem with hype and over promise. It always fails to deliver, unfortunately in this case at a great risk to consumers.
(1) pressed about
(2) Charis Eng MD PhD
(3) watch the webcast about it here!
(4) Ken Offit’s
(5) I told Mary Carmichael of Newsweek this!
(6) This stuff is medical data and I Told Thomas Goetz of Wired this!
(7) Even the WSJ has gotten it!
(8) take your family history
(9) If they don’t know what to do with it, call us. We do.
Incoming Post Search Feeds:
latest indian mision mars
NASA comet ison update
futurists physical therapy
nasa nibiru 10 11 2013
Modern marvels regenerative medicine
Dr biochemistry gmail edu
ppsspp monster hunter freedom unite tablet
techno fruhstuck correspondence heart beat
- New child cancer specialist for Auckland - September 1st, 2014
- UAE fertility clinics report genetic screening surge - August 31st, 2014
- Medicine's Next Big Mission: Understanding Wellness - August 31st, 2014
- Tute Genomics and Patients Know Best Partner to Bring Precision Medicine' a Step Closer - August 31st, 2014
- Illumina Partners With Big Pharma To Create New Genetic Tests For Cancer - August 31st, 2014
- Assurex Health Secures $32 Million in Financing to Support Continued Growth - May 22nd, 2014
- Penn Medicine's Innovation Grant Program Announces Second Round Winners - May 22nd, 2014
- Reproductive medicine: The power of three - May 22nd, 2014
- Research identifies genetic alterations in lung cancers that help select treatment - May 21st, 2014
- Lifestyle interventions are better than genetic tests for preventing type 2 diabetes - May 21st, 2014
- Genetic 'typo' corrector - May 19th, 2014
- Worlds first date palm genetic map published - May 19th, 2014
- Genetic tracking identifies cancer stem cells in human patients - May 16th, 2014
- Genomic Health's Oncotype DX Becomes First Multi-Gene Test for Cancer Management To Be Included in National ... - May 15th, 2014
- Researchers identify genetic marker for OCD - May 15th, 2014
- Large Panel Genetic Testing Produces More Questions than Answers in Breast Cancer - May 15th, 2014
- MyoKardia Announces Launch of SHaRe Patient Registry for Genetic Heart Disease in Collaboration with World-Leading ... - May 15th, 2014
- New life from artificial DNA - May 15th, 2014
- Qatar- First date palm genetic map made - May 15th, 2014
- Researchers identify genetic marker linked to OCD - May 13th, 2014
- New Paper Provides Convincing Evidence Vaccine Induced Immune Overload and Related Serious Health Issues is Becoming ... - May 13th, 2014
- Pain: Consumption of Opioid Drugs in Southern Europe up by 15%. New Aspects Discussed at the Closing Sessions of the ... - May 12th, 2014
- Changing the DNA alphabet - May 12th, 2014
- Genes decide if medicine will work for you or not - May 12th, 2014
- New complex gene atlas to help battle human diseases - May 12th, 2014
- INSIDE STORY GEN 47 15 - Video - May 10th, 2014
- Genetic Mutants? 5 Strange Science Facts About Moms - May 10th, 2014
- New life engineered with artificial DNA - May 10th, 2014
- Scientists say procedure can create new, complicated drugs - May 10th, 2014
- 'Alien' DNA used to create life - May 9th, 2014
- Few women at high-risk for hereditary breast and ovarian cancer receive genetic counseling - May 9th, 2014
- Alnylam Pharmaceuticals Reports First Quarter 2014 Financial Results and Highlights Recent Period Activities - May 9th, 2014
- Scientists Successfully Expand the Genetic Alphabet - May 8th, 2014
- Genetic Disorders Partnering Terms and Agreements - May 8th, 2014
- UNIGE researchers get closer to unraveling mystery of sexual ambiguity - May 6th, 2014
- breeding and genetic medicine - Video - May 6th, 2014
- Alnylam Advances Development Candidate for ALN-AAT, a Subcutaneously Administered RNAi Therapeutic Targeting Alpha-1 ... - May 6th, 2014
- Genetic, environmental influences equally important risk for autism spectrum disorder - May 5th, 2014
- Genetic and Environmental Influences Are Equally Important Risk Factors for Autism Spectrum Disorder - May 5th, 2014
- March of Dimes Awards $250,000 Prize to Scientist Who Discovered Genetic Mutations Responsible for Autism Spectrum ... - May 5th, 2014
- Welcome | Institute of Genetic Medicine - May 5th, 2014
- Breast cancer test made famous by Angelina Jolie now more affordable - May 5th, 2014
- Assurex Health Launches Comprehensive Genetic-Based Test to Help Clinicians Select Pain Medications for Patients - May 1st, 2014
- Prostate cancer and blood lipids share genetic links - May 1st, 2014
- Hippocrates' ancient tree genetically 'fingerprinted' - May 1st, 2014
- Alnylam to Webcast Presentation at Deutsche Bank 39th Annual Health Care Conference - May 1st, 2014
- Diagnosis of childhood TB could be improved by genetic discovery - May 1st, 2014
- New Genetic Test Reveals Your Ancestral Origin - April 30th, 2014
- University of Iowa hopes to better diagnose and treat patients - April 30th, 2014
- Lego Star Wars Genetic Medicine - Video - April 29th, 2014
- Proove Biosciences Presented Research and Data on How Genetic Testing Can Improve Pain Medicine Selection and Dosing - April 29th, 2014
- Genealogy and Biogeography Meet Personalized Medicine - April 29th, 2014
- Genetic mutations involved in human blood diseases identified - April 29th, 2014
- Good Start Genetics Appoints Charles F. Wagner, Jr. to the Companys Board of Directors - April 28th, 2014
- UH helps create hub for environmental experts - April 28th, 2014
- Scientists discover new rare genetic brain disorder - April 25th, 2014
- Newly identified genetic disorder associated with degeneration of central nervous systems in humans - April 25th, 2014
- New genetic brain disorder in humans discovered - April 25th, 2014
- Genetic alterations in shared biological pathways as major risk factor for ASD - April 25th, 2014
- Researchers discover that two defective copies of a single gene cause rare brain disorder - April 25th, 2014
- Researchers discover new genetic brain disorder in humans - April 24th, 2014
- Genetic legacy from the Ottoman Empire: Single mutation causes rare brain disorder - April 24th, 2014
- CollabRx Partnership with Affymetrix Creates a Foundation - April 23rd, 2014
- CU system resets health care with $63M personalized medicine division - April 20th, 2014
- Eating processed meat can be cancerous for certain people - April 19th, 2014
- Study sheds light on how extra chromosome 21 upsets equilibrium of entire genome in Down syndrome - April 18th, 2014
- Pathway Genomics Adds Leading Genetic Counselors to Advisory Board - April 17th, 2014
- Molecular Diagnostics in Genetic Testing - April 17th, 2014
- New kind of trial aims to speed cancer drug development - April 17th, 2014
- New gene variant found increases the risk of colorectal cancer from eating processed meat - April 17th, 2014
- Gene variant raises risk for aortic tear and rupture - April 17th, 2014
- Genetic pre-disposition toward exercise, mental development may be linked - April 16th, 2014
- LifeLabs Medical Laboratory Services and Contextual Genomics Announce Co-Marketing and Testing Agreement - April 16th, 2014
- Genetic pre-disposition toward exercise and mental development may be linked - April 15th, 2014
- Deep Knowledge Ventures Finances Life-Extension Start-up, Personalized Medicine Service - April 15th, 2014
- Invitaes Multi-Gene Panels Can Provide Clinical Benefit to Patients Seeking Hereditary Cancer Risk Assessment - April 14th, 2014
- Gene panels may be useful, cheaper alternative to whole-genome sequencing, study finds - April 14th, 2014
- [WoHIT] Use of various types of genetic tests in clinical practice set to be a major innovation - April 10th, 2014
- Penn Researchers Determine Mechanism by Which Lung Function is Regulated in Rare Disease Known As Birt-Hogg-Dube ... - April 10th, 2014
- Penn study finds mechanism that regulates lung function in disease Birt-Hogg-Dube syndrome - April 10th, 2014