You heard it here. A recent study abstract and pressed about from my friend Charis Eng MD PhD, Clinical Geneticist, Internist and all around really smart lady spoke today about her findings of a head to head, DTCG vs Family History at discovering cancer risk.
You can watch the webcast about it here!
I actually sent some data Ken Offit’s way about a similar thing way back when, Ken is yet another, really smart guy. He wasn’t surprised. Nor was I when I heard Dr. Eng’s findings.
First, Caveat Emptor
This is an abstract! Repeat after me……
What does that mean?
1. It is not peer reviewed fully
2. It is not published yet
3. It is preliminary data
This test was Navigenics Compass vs Family History in 22 females with breast cancer, 22 males with prostate cancer and 44 people with colorectal cancer.
What was the result? Family History placed far more people in the proper high risk category. 8:1
Family History put 22 people in the appropriate High Risk Hereditary Category, DTCG only one.
Further, it looks to me that the Navi “Gene” Scan missed several high risk patients who actually had MMR mutations (I.E. Genetic Cancer)…..D’Oh.
First off, this is like a case study. But it signals a HUGE shortcoming of DTCG. False reassurance.
I have been beating this over the head for 3 years now! These tests that have “medical” relevance need to be couched with proper medical guidance.
There are huge shortcomings in the current offering of DTCG tests and those offering medical information need to be regulated as medical. This is a classic case in point of potential and REAL missed cases.
That being said. It is November AKA Family History Month. You should absolutely take your family history and bring it to your doctor. If they don’t know what to do with it, call us. We do.
The Sherpa Says: No surprises Charis, I saw this with some DTC cases I have had, passed it on to Ken who passed it on to NIH and The IOM. This is the huge problem with hype and over promise. It always fails to deliver, unfortunately in this case at a great risk to consumers.
- New Type of Genetic Mutation Identified in Cancer | Newsroom ... - Cornell Chronicle - February 24th, 2017
- Sorting out risk genes for brain development disorders - Medical Xpress - February 24th, 2017
- Direct-to-consumer genomics: Harmful or empowering? - Medical Xpress - February 24th, 2017
- BI announces COPD collaboration with Weill Cornell Medicine - Danbury News Times - February 23rd, 2017
- Many people with harmful genetic variants show no ill effects ... - Spectrum - February 23rd, 2017
- OCD-like behavior linked to genetic mutation - Medical Xpress - Medical Xpress - February 23rd, 2017
- Soon, Medication Will be Custom Tailored to Your Specific Genetics - Futurism - February 23rd, 2017
- Personalized medicine may do more to treat rather than prevent ... - Salon - February 22nd, 2017
- 'Molecular Switch' that Causes Mucosal Autoimmune Diseases Discovered - Sci-News.com - February 22nd, 2017
- Pitt researchers uncover genetic marker that may predict drug ... - News-Medical.net - February 22nd, 2017
- Genetic Variation: Causes and Examples - February 20th, 2017
- Genetic test to determine reaction to medicine is on the market ... - SowetanLIVE - February 20th, 2017
- Multi-disciplinary project receives 390000 grant to discover genetic cause of epilepsy - News-Medical.net - February 20th, 2017
- Courtagen Launches New Avantra Genetics Division to Provide ... - Yahoo Finance - February 20th, 2017
- Dermatology - Stanford University School of Medicine - February 18th, 2017
- Advocacy, Education & Empowerment | GeneticAlliance.org - February 18th, 2017
- Boehringer Ingelheim And Weill Cornell Medicine Announce New ... - Clinical Leader - February 18th, 2017
- Stepping up the hunt for genetic diseases - Medical Xpress - February 17th, 2017
- Personalized medicine may do more to treat rather than prevent chronic diseases - Medical Xpress - February 17th, 2017
- Boehringer Ingelheim and Weill Cornell Medicine announce new ... - Yahoo Finance - February 17th, 2017
- Genetic basis for male baldness identified in large-scale study - Medical News Today - February 16th, 2017
- UNIGE researchers develop new technique to improve diagnosis of genetic diseases - News-Medical.net - February 16th, 2017
- Personalized medicine may do more to treat rather than prevent chronic diseases - NewsOK.com - February 16th, 2017
- AP, HHMI collaborate on expanded science, health coverage - New Jersey Herald - February 16th, 2017
- Scientists identify genetic signature of risk for type 2 diabetes - News-Medical.net - February 15th, 2017
- Scientific Panel Says Editing Heritable Human Genes Could Be OK In The Future - NPR - February 15th, 2017
- Penn gene therapy pioneer teams up with FAST in race ... - Newswise - Newswise (press release) - February 15th, 2017
- Diabetes in your DNA? Scientists zero in on the genetic signature of risk - Medical Xpress - February 14th, 2017
- The secret to health and long life: It's in your genes - Rutland Herald - February 14th, 2017
- In-depth gene search reveals new mutations, drug targets in rare adrenal tumors - Medical Xpress - February 14th, 2017
- China aims for share of precision medicine - Arkansas Online - February 13th, 2017
- Genetic testing provides writer, doc in-depth info - Times Record News - February 13th, 2017
- Diabetes in your DNA? Scientists zero in on the genetic signature of risk - University of Michigan Health System News (press release) - February 13th, 2017
- Specific genetic errors that trigger congenital heart disease can be reproduced in common fruit fly - News-Medical.net - February 12th, 2017
- Study of complex genetic region finds hidden role of NCF1 in ... - Medical Xpress - February 12th, 2017
- Induced pluripotent stem cells don't increase genetic mutations - Science Daily - February 11th, 2017
- China aggressively challenges US lead in precision medicine - Genetic Literacy Project - February 10th, 2017
- New method of genetic engineering indispensable tool in biotechnological applications - Science Daily - February 10th, 2017
- Regenerative Medicine Has a Bright Future - Healthline - February 10th, 2017
- China Turns to Precision Medicine in Fight Against Cancer ... - Bloomberg - February 9th, 2017
- With MSK Leading the Way, Precision Medicine Links Lab Research to Patient Care - Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (blog) - February 9th, 2017
- Why do people accept biotech in medicine but not GMO foods? - Genetic Literacy Project - February 9th, 2017
- Genetic profiling can guide stem cell transplantation for patients with myelodysplastic syndrome - Medical Xpress - February 9th, 2017
- Researchers find genetic cause of new type of muscular dystrophy - Medical Xpress - February 9th, 2017
- Penn Genetics Researcher Receives Grant From Pharmaceutical Consortium to Study Diabetic Kidney Disease - Newswise (press release) - February 8th, 2017
- The Cuban hustle: Doctors drive cabs and work abroad to make up for meager pay - STAT - February 8th, 2017
- 15 School of Medicine researchers named CZ Biohub investigators - Stanford Medical Center Report - February 8th, 2017
- Genetic defects in tooth enamel conducive to development of caries - Medical Xpress - February 8th, 2017
- Many high-risk patients with breast cancer aren't getting genetic testing. Here's why. - Washington Post - February 7th, 2017
- Studies point way to precision therapies for common class of genetic disorders - Medical Xpress - February 7th, 2017
- Genetic test to predict opioid risk lacks proof, experts say - Philly.com - Philly.com - February 7th, 2017
- Precision Medicine: How Phoenix Children's is translating genetic code into lifesaving treatments - FOX 10 News Phoenix - February 6th, 2017
- Studies reveal link between rotator cuff disease and genetics - News-Medical.net - February 6th, 2017
- Precision-medicine approach could revive prostate cancer test - Science Daily - February 6th, 2017
- Research consortium identifies 13 new genetic regions associated with COPD and shared risk factors for pulmonary ... - Science Daily - February 6th, 2017
- Gene therapy allows deaf mice to hear: study - Yahoo News - February 6th, 2017
- DNA changes that affect human height uncovered - Medical News Today - February 6th, 2017
- Toxicology Conferences 2017 | Pharmacology Conferences ... - January 23rd, 2017
- 23andMe - DNA Genetic Testing & Analysis - January 14th, 2017
- A New Initiative on Precision Medicine NEJM - January 13th, 2017
- BioMed Central - January 7th, 2017
- Medical genetics - Wikipedia - January 5th, 2017
- Science Translational Medicine - January 3rd, 2017
- Genetic code - Wikipedia - December 25th, 2016
- Genetics & Medicine - Site Guide - NCBI - ncbi.nlm.nih.gov - December 22nd, 2016
- Department of Genetic Medicine - Weill Cornell Medical College - December 22nd, 2016
- Genetic Medicine - December 22nd, 2016
- Genetics - Wikipedia - December 8th, 2016
- Worlds Leading Genomics Conference | Global Meetings ... - December 8th, 2016
- Mary Ann Liebert, Inc. publishers | Leading innovation and ... - December 8th, 2016
- Genetic Medicine | Munroe-Meyer Institute | University of ... - April 10th, 2016
- USC Institute for Genetic Medicine - March 20th, 2016
- Department of Genetic Medicine (Research) | Medicine ... - March 16th, 2016
- Genomic Medicine - Genome.gov - February 6th, 2016
- preimplantation genetic diagnosis - Penn Medicine - December 21st, 2015
- Discipline of Genetic Medicine - The University of Sydney - October 12th, 2015
- Graduate Program in Genetic Counseling : Center for ... - October 7th, 2015
- Genetic Testing Clinical Reference For Clinicians ... - September 25th, 2015
- Contact Genetic Medicine | Childrens Hospital at Johns ... - September 25th, 2015
- Genetic Counseling Program - University of South Carolina ... - September 25th, 2015