MDA reports it has received a contract worth CAD $190 million to support robotic operations on the International Space Station (ISS) from 2020 to 2024. MDA has provided Logistics and Sustaining Engineering (L&SE) services to the Canadian Space Agency (CSA) and its international partners since the start of the ISS, which this year will celebrate 20 years of continuous habitation by humans.
"This contract further strengthens MDA's global leadership in operational mission-critical space robotics, and will provide an opportunity to advance robotic system capabilities and techniques using the ISS as a proving ground for future human exploration," said Mike Greenley, Chief Executive Officer of MDA.
"We value our role as prime contractor and partner to the Canadian Space Agency, and enjoy the opportunity to work closely with the ISS partners, in particular NASA and the ISS industrial team."
The contract provides for ongoing operations and maintenance of the Canadian contribution to the ISS, the Mobile Servicing System (MSS), which comprises Canadarm2, Dextre and the Mobile Base System (MBS) and will establish a solid base of business for the next four years for MDA's robotics teams based in Brampton (ON), St-Hubert (QC) and Houston (TX).
Areas of support include goods and services such as Mission Planning and Real-Time Operations Support, Software Engineering (upgrades), Systems Engineering, Hardware Engineering, Logistics Engineering (spares, support equipment, crown property management), Program Management, Product Assurance, and MSS Robotic Operations Training Support for astronauts and ground mission controllers. The contract includes the option for Canada to extend the term of the contract by up to four additional one-year periods under the same conditions.
Reliance on Canadarm2 and Dextre - the world's most sophisticated space robot - for International Space Station maintenance has been steadily increasing. MDA ensures the operational readiness of the MSS robotics, provides training to the robotic operators, and supports operations planning and real-time operations.
In addition, MDA continuously enhances the capability of the MSS to meet the evolving needs of the Canadian Space Station Program and International Space Station needs.
Canada's robotics capability is globally recognized for its exemplary performance in support of the ISS. The ISS continues to be an important laboratory that advances breakthrough technologies and extends scientific knowledge. Canada's contribution of robotics has enabled access to the ISS by Canadian astronauts as well as utilization of the ISS laboratory for Canadian science experiments.
Related LinksMDAAll about the robots on Earth and beyond!
With the rise of Ad Blockers, and Facebook - our traditional revenue sources via quality network advertising continues to decline. And unlike so many other news sites, we don't have a paywall - with those annoying usernames and passwords.
Our news coverage takes time and effort to publish 365 days a year.
If you find our news sites informative and useful then please consider becoming a regular supporter or for now make a one off contribution.
- NASA signs agreement with Japan to cooperate across Space Station, Artemis and Lunar Gateway projects - TechCrunch - July 11th, 2020
- Cargo and Science Operations Start Work Week Space Station - NASA Planetary Science - July 11th, 2020
- 'Worried for our families and all of mankind.' Coronavirus a concern even for astronauts in space - USA TODAY - July 11th, 2020
- Gravity on Space Stations and Free Fall - The Great Courses Daily News - July 11th, 2020
- EAA Ray Aviation Scholars to Talk With International Space Station Crew on July 14 - AviationPros.com - July 11th, 2020
- NASA snaps stunning space station photo of 'stars, cities, spaceships and a comet' - Mirror Online - July 11th, 2020
- Connecting in orbit Retired Columbus engineer works on radio power supply for space station - The Republic - July 11th, 2020
- This is why we are trying to make organs in the International Space Station - ThePrint - July 11th, 2020
- When you can see the International Space Station this week - Nottinghamshire Live - July 11th, 2020
- Views from above: Cape Town from the International Space Station - CapeTown ETC - July 11th, 2020
- The Cycle Season 3 Adds Moving Trains and a New Space Station - FULLSYNC - July 11th, 2020
- SpaceX reaches International Space Station after 19 hours of travel - Gruntstuff - July 11th, 2020
- Why are scientists trying to manufacture organs in space? - The Conversation US - July 11th, 2020
- On This Day: Skylab falls to earth - UPI News - July 11th, 2020
- Magnetosphere: Satellites, Space Debris, and What Else? - The Great Courses Daily News - July 11th, 2020
- Comet NEOWISE shines in stunning photos from the International Space Station - Space.com - July 10th, 2020
- Looked Like I Was Walking Into A Space Station: Thrill-Seekers In New Jersey Flock To Six Flags Great Adventures Reopening - CBS Philly - July 10th, 2020
- Counting the Infected - The New York Times - July 10th, 2020
- A Piece of Swiss Technology Goes to the International Space Station - Press Release - Digital Journal - July 10th, 2020
- NASA Photos: Here are 5 breathtaking pictures captured in the first half of 2020 - Republic World - Republic World - July 10th, 2020
- Review: 'Collective Gravities,' By Chloe N. Clark - NPR - July 10th, 2020
- Huge UFO, 25 times the size of Earth spotted near Sun, claims UFO hunting enthusiast Scott C Waring - Zee News - July 10th, 2020
- Why are scientists trying to manufacture organs in space? - Livescience.com - July 10th, 2020
- Boeing shifts its team leaders for space station and Starliner space programs - GeekWire - June 21st, 2020
- They Want to Sell Balloon Rides 19 Miles Up. Havent We Heard This Before? - The New York Times - June 21st, 2020
- You Can Now Tour the International Space Station From the Comfort of Your Home - Robb Report - June 21st, 2020
- Students chat with the ISS from their homes - Brentsville District High - June 21st, 2020
- Green glow seen in the atmosphere of Mars, similar to Earth's from space station - Firstpost - June 21st, 2020
- Curious Kids: What is the 'zero gravity' that people experience in the vomit comet or space flight? - Kiowa County Press - June 21st, 2020
- The International Space Station is Getting a Toilet Upgrade From NASA - Beebom - June 21st, 2020
- A Special Guest From Outer Space To Give The Race Command in This Sundays NASCAR Race - Essentially Sports - June 21st, 2020
- Amyloid formation in the International Space Station - Space Daily - June 21st, 2020
- Massive dust plume over the Atlantic seen from space - WTSP.com - June 21st, 2020
- Outer space is a sausage fest but that's set to change - TNW - June 21st, 2020
- Reason transforms team-building with innovative remote escape room experiences - SF Weekly - June 21st, 2020
- Kathy Lueders now has the job of making NASA's 2024 moon landing happen | TheHill - The Hill - June 21st, 2020
- UAE to become a global hub for outer space affairs - The National - June 21st, 2020
- SpaceX is building a floating, superheavy-class spaceport in the Gulf of Mexico - Houston Chronicle - June 21st, 2020
- BAND-IT Ties excel in the latest SpaceX Falcon 9 voyage - Cape Business News - June 21st, 2020
- Lockdown tips: Back pain while working from home? How to fix bad posture, as taught to astronauts - Scroll.in - June 21st, 2020
- International Space Station to Pass Over DFW Again Friday and Saturday - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth - June 9th, 2020
- Space Station Flyover Tonight - FOX Carolina - June 9th, 2020
- With an Internet of Animals, Scientists Aim to Track and Save Wildlife - The New York Times - June 9th, 2020
- One More Chance to See the International Space Station! - WDRB - June 9th, 2020
- NASA will send another UC San Diego grad to the space station - The San Diego Union-Tribune - June 9th, 2020
- America Once Planned To Send An Apollo Spacecraft To A Soviet Space Station - Jalopnik - June 9th, 2020
- Versatile express rack arrives at Space Station | Military Scene - Theredstonerocket - June 9th, 2020
- The gravity of China's space base in Argentina - The Interpreter - June 9th, 2020
- China Unveils Details Of Its Planned Tiangong Space Station - SpaceWatch.Global - June 9th, 2020
- International Space Station tracker: will you be able to see the ISS flying over Scotland in June? - The Scotsman - June 9th, 2020
- Local astronaut on SpaceX shares amazing photo of view from space - KMOV.com - June 9th, 2020
- Bezos' wealth stacked in $1 bills would hit ISS space station 30 times - Wealth Professional - June 9th, 2020
- Heres how astronauts exercise in space without gravity - Yahoo Lifestyle - June 9th, 2020
- space station | Definition, History, & Facts | Britannica - June 3rd, 2020
- International Space Station - Wikipedia - June 3rd, 2020
- SpaceX commissioned this artist for the space station. He also painted a mural in Tampa. - Tampa Bay Times - June 3rd, 2020
- NASA chief "all in" for Tom Cruise to film on space station - The Associated Press - June 3rd, 2020
- Watch live: NASA astronauts on way to space station - UPI News - June 3rd, 2020
- International Space Station UK tracker: Find out how to see the ISS TONIGHT - Express.co.uk - June 3rd, 2020
- China reveals plan for Heavenly Palace space station to rival ISS - New York Post - June 3rd, 2020
- When you can see the International Space Station flying over Greater Manchester over the next week - Manchester Evening News - June 3rd, 2020
- Video captures moment SpaceX and International Space Station flying over Bristol - Bristol Live - June 3rd, 2020
- Space station - Wikipedia - June 1st, 2020
- Astronauts Dock With Space Station After Historic SpaceX Launch - The New York Times - June 1st, 2020
- Astronauts Head To The International Space Station From US Soil - NPR - June 1st, 2020
- SpaceX launch: SpaceX vision goes well beyond space station - KTRK-TV - June 1st, 2020
- In photos: The Expedition 63 mission to the International Space Station - Space.com - June 1st, 2020
- NASA working with Tom Cruise to film movie on the International Space Station - Spaceflight Now - May 11th, 2020
- Astronaut Christina Koch on making space history and how to survive isolation - News Info Park - May 11th, 2020
- Tom Cruise working with NASA, SpaceX to film a movie on International Space Station - Brownsville Herald - May 11th, 2020
- Astronaut on how to survive isolation, and the future of space travel - Business Insider - Business Insider - May 11th, 2020
- Tom Cruise is filming his next movie on the International Space Station - KCTV Kansas City - May 11th, 2020
- SpaceX to Bring Crew to Short-Staffed Space Station for Longer Stay - The New York Times - May 3rd, 2020
- Russian freighter arrives at space station with nearly 3 tons of supplies - Space.com - April 26th, 2020
- This robot is helping astronauts on the space station with tasks, stress and isolation - CNN - April 26th, 2020
- An astronaut spotted SpaceX's Starlink internet satellites from the International Space Station - CNBC - April 26th, 2020
- Fresh fears of coronavirus on International Space Station as expert with link to astronauts deteriorates wit - The Sun - April 26th, 2020
- The International Space Station transits the sun - Boing Boing - April 26th, 2020
- That Time Swamp Thing Impregnated a Space-Station | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - April 26th, 2020
- Striking view of Dubai's Palm Jumeirah from space - The National - April 26th, 2020