President Donald Trump at NATO headquarters in Brussels on July 11, 2018.(Photo: Pablo Martinez Monsivais/AP)
LONDON NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg announcedWednesday that the military alliance will hold a leaders' summit in London in December, a gathering that following NATO protocol would be expected to includePresident Donald Trump.
The White House has not confirmed Trump's attendance.
It falls during NATOs 70th anniversary year. No exact date for the meeting was given.
Stoltenberg said the leaders will "address the security challenges we face now and in the future, and to ensure that NATO continues to adapt in order to keep its population of almost one billion people safe."
When Trump attended aNATO summit in July last year he threatened to pull theU.S. out of the organization it helped found if allies did not increasespending on defense. He also accused Germany of being "a captive of Russia" in a series of tenseinteractions with allies that helped underscore how Trump intends to transform U.S. foreign policy.
More: What is NATO and why is President Trump slamming it?
NATO was founded in 1949 to help bring stability, and ensure peace, in a Europe that was reeling from the aftermath of World War II.A centerpiece of NATO is Article 5, amutual security guarantee among its 29 members that requires each member-nation to come to the aid of their allies in the event of an attack.The provision has been invoked only once: on 9/11when the U.S. was the target of terrorist attacks.
Trump has consistently railed against NATO allies for what he alleges are their failure to live up to spending commitments which amount to 2 per cent of GDP.
The U.S. spends about 3.5 percent of GDP on defense, the highest NATO share.
"Many countries owe us a tremendous amount of money from many years back, where they're delinquent as far as I'm concerned, because the United States has had to pay for them. So if you go back 10 or 20 years, you'll just add it all up, it's massive amounts of money is owed," he said in July ahead the summit in Brussels, NATO's headquarters.
There is some justification for Trump's claim.
At aNATO summit in 2014,the alliance's memberscommittedto spending at least 2 percent of their GDP on defense by 2024. At the time, only three countries could claim they were doing that. Stoltenberg said that eightmembers met thislevel in 2018: the US.., Greece, the United Kingdom, Estonia, Romania and Poland.
Earlier this year it emerged in a report in The New York Times that Trump has repeatedly expressed his desire to withdraw from NATO to senior White House aides because he did not see the point of the alliance that has been viewed as a critical bedrock against Soviet and Russian aggression for decades.
A weakened NATO is one of Putin's major geopolitical goals and fears of its eastward expansion is one of the reasons often cited for Russia's seizure of Ukraine's Crimea. In response to the report, theWhite House said that while Trump has publicly raised complaints about NATO, he seems satisfied with the way things stand now. It also pointed to statements that he made in July in Brussels in which he said NATO was "very important."
Trump's visits to the U.K. have sparked mass protests, with hundreds of thousands of people taking to the streets of London to express disapproval over his personal behavior and divisive rhetoric on immigration, climate change and other geopolitical concerns.
When he last visited Britain, protesters unveiled a giant diaper-wearing blimp depicting an orange-colored Trump as a big baby. "Trump baby" flew outside Parliament. It has also shown up at the U.S.-Mexico border and at a G-20 summit in Argentina.
More: 'Trump having impact': NATO head credits president's tough talk for $100B boost
NATO's secretary-general said Tuesday he is confident that both the Western military alliance and Russia "will act in a respectable way" as the two sides hold drills in the same area in waters off Norway's coast. (Oct. 30) AP
- Formation of Nato - Purpose, Dates & Cold War - HISTORY - February 17th, 2020
- NATO: Definition, Purpose, History, Members - February 17th, 2020
- Milestones: 19451952 - Office of the Historian - February 17th, 2020
- NATO - NATO Vacancies - February 17th, 2020
- Iraq: Washington to strengthen presence of NATO to disengage militarily from Baghdad - Middle East Monitor - February 17th, 2020
- US needs Europe to tackle the rise of China, NATO chief says - CNBC - February 17th, 2020
- Russia's MFA Lavrov: NATO "has nothing to do with Ukraine," shouldn't interfere in Donbas talks - UNIAN - February 17th, 2020
- In a small Polish village near a Russian exclave, US-led NATO battle group is ready 'in case anything happens' - Stars and Stripes - February 17th, 2020
- North Macedonia ratifies NATO accession protocol, but still waiting for Spain - EURACTIV - February 17th, 2020
- North Macedonia Is Being Used by NATO To Target Serbia and Russia - Antiwar.com - February 17th, 2020
- Greece wants NATO to halt migration influx from Turkey - Greek City Times - February 17th, 2020
- Unique Russian Tu-134 UBL (NATO Reporting Name Crusty-B) Nicknamed Black Pearl Intercepted Over The Baltic - The Aviationist - February 17th, 2020
- Trump Might Be Right About NATO Engagement in the Mideast - The National Interest Online - January 30th, 2020
- Bosniak Leader: Bosnian Serbs Will Eventually Agree to Join NATO - Balkan Insight - January 30th, 2020
- The Long-Term Costs of NATO Expansion - The National Interest Online - January 30th, 2020
- Norway Will Solve Missions on Iceland with the Brand New F-35 Fighter Aircraft - High North News - January 30th, 2020
- #NATO and EU must toughen up on #Balkan drug gangs - EU Reporter - EU Reporter - January 30th, 2020
- Bolton told Republican donors Trump is mentally unstable and will pull the US out of NATO if reelected: report - AlterNet - January 30th, 2020
- Poland calls for Nato 'readiness' on Russia - EUobserver - January 30th, 2020
- Lord McConnell: After Brexit, the UK can lead the world by example - PoliticsHome.com - January 30th, 2020
- Are Turkish ships working with the Libyan coastguard in the central Mediterranean? - InfoMigrants - January 30th, 2020
- NATO | Founders, Members, & History | Britannica - January 5th, 2020
- NSO > Home - NATO School - January 5th, 2020
- Russia's close ally Belarus explores working closer with NATO - Stars and Stripes - January 5th, 2020
- Nato suspends Isis operations in Iraq, as Iran vows revenge on Trump after killing of top commander - The Independent - January 5th, 2020
- Poland takes charge of NATO high readiness force - NATO HQ - January 5th, 2020
- US briefing: deadly bushfires, e-cigarettes and Russia in Nato - The Guardian - January 5th, 2020
- One Of NATO's Greatest Fears: A Russian Invasion Of Iceland - Yahoo News - January 5th, 2020
- Don't Believe in Ankara's Hoax about its Romance with NATO Allies - Modern Diplomacy - December 29th, 2019
- The World This Year: Return of the leaderless protest, NATO's 'brain death', the Greta effect - The world this week - FRANCE 24 - December 29th, 2019
- NATO Was Never Only About Russia - Modern Diplomacy - December 29th, 2019
- Member states of NATO - Wikipedia - December 14th, 2019
- NSO > Home - natoschool.nato.int - December 14th, 2019
- LAWSON: NATO's 70th anniversary marks a decisive moment for its future - University of Virginia The Cavalier Daily - December 14th, 2019
- Stop The Madness of NATO Expansion Breaking Defense - Defense industry news, analysis and commentary - Breaking Defense - December 14th, 2019
- Senate committee passes bipartisan bill to stop Trump withdrawing from Nato - The Guardian - December 14th, 2019
- NATO Conference Is Canceled After U.S. Ambassador Barred a Trump Critic - The New York Times - December 14th, 2019
- News: Another milestone in enhancing defence education in Afghanistan, 24-Nov.-2019 - NATO HQ - December 14th, 2019
- Turmoil at the NATO Summit Should Be a Wake-Up Call for Trump | Ivan Eland - The Beacon - December 14th, 2019
- NATO conference canceled after US ambassador Carla Sands blocks speaker critical of Trump - USA TODAY - December 14th, 2019
- Getting Out of the NATO Nuclear Task Would Not Increase Dutch Security - War on the Rocks - December 14th, 2019
- Emmanuel Macron's Strategy With NATO and the EU Is Disruption - Foreign Policy - December 14th, 2019
- NATO needs to change to survive, analysts say - CNBC - December 6th, 2019
- 'Very, very nasty': Trump clashes with Macron before NATO summit - Reuters - December 6th, 2019
- It's Time to Rethink NATO's Deterrent Strategy - War on the Rocks - December 6th, 2019
- NATO leaders gather in London to mark the 70th anniversary of the Alliance - NATO HQ - December 6th, 2019
- NATO meets as challenges, threats and tensions face the alliance from outside, and within - CNBC - December 6th, 2019
- Princess Anne Was the Real Winner of the NATO Summit - Vanity Fair - December 6th, 2019
- Trump is expected to discuss China, Russia challenges with NATO leaders next week - CNBC - December 6th, 2019
- President Macron is right: its time Nato came to an end - The Guardian - December 6th, 2019
- NATO's not brain dead, but it really needs a strategy - CNN - December 6th, 2019
- Opinion | Its Not Just Trump. The American People Are Skeptical of NATO, Too. - Politico - December 6th, 2019
- Jilted Trump Announces Formation Of Cooler, Way More Powerful NATO With His New Best Friends Oman, Macedonia, And Suriname - The Onion - December 6th, 2019
- Trump's not the only spoiler at this year's NATO summit - CNN - December 6th, 2019
- Theres No Excuse for NATO Allies Not Meeting That 2 Percent Threshold - National Review - December 6th, 2019
- Libya and the Future of NATO - Forbes - December 6th, 2019
- Trump re-election could sound death knell for Nato, allies fear - The Guardian - December 6th, 2019
- Tensions Between Russia and NATO Have Militarized Eastern Europe. But Belarus Is Charting a Different Course. - Foreign Policy - December 6th, 2019
- NATO is defined by its successnot its tensions - Atlantic Council - December 6th, 2019
- We got students to model NATOs reaction to an earthquake in the Mediterranean here's what happened - The Conversation UK - December 6th, 2019
- Nato summit 2019 Watford where is The Grove Hotel and which member countries are attending? - The Sun - December 6th, 2019
- A short history of the EU and NATOs uneasy relationship - Quartz - December 6th, 2019
- Putin got exactly what he wants from NATO this week, thanks to Trump - INSIDER - December 6th, 2019
- NATO survives to fight another day but will that fight be with Trump? - Toronto Star - December 6th, 2019
- Admitting North Macedonia to NATO brings more risks than benefits to the US | TheHill - The Hill - November 4th, 2019
- Would Trump Really Push NATO to Help Confront Iran? - The National Interest Online - November 4th, 2019
- NATO War Planners Tried Everything To Stop Russia's Deadly Submarines (Even Magnets) - Yahoo News - November 4th, 2019
- NATO drills being held in Lithuania - Information-Analytic Agency NEWS.am - November 4th, 2019
- NATO Code Name FELON: Russian Su-57 Gets Its Reporting Name, And It Couldn't Be Better. - The Aviationist - November 4th, 2019
- Prystaiko: NATO developing action plan in case of Russias military attack on Ukraine - Ukrinform. Ukraine and world news - November 2nd, 2019
- NATO on the brink of implosion - Voltaire Network - November 2nd, 2019
- Think tank report outlines steps NATO needs to take to defend Baltics - ERR News - November 2nd, 2019
- NATO Envoy Says Afghans Do Not Want To See A Repeat Of The National Unity Government - Gandhara - November 2nd, 2019
- Ukraine asks NATO to grant it status of member of partnership of expanded opportunities Kuleba - Interfax Ukraine - November 2nd, 2019
- No longer the obedient NATO ally, Erdogan floats nuclear option - CNN - October 21st, 2019
- Can Turkey be Expelled from NATO? It's Legally Possible, Whether or Not Politically Prudent - Just Security - October 21st, 2019
- Turkey, the Kurds, NATO and what comes next? - Tampa Bay Times - October 21st, 2019
- No commitment with SDF on fighting NATO ally: US - Anadolu Agency - October 21st, 2019
- NATO ministers need to have difficult conversations to keep everyone honest | TheHill - The Hill - October 21st, 2019
- Nato on the BRINK: December's summit could be scrapped over furious divisions on Turkey - Express.co.uk - October 21st, 2019