Q: You talk about this a lot, but I just bombed out one more time on my stop-smoking attempt. I have tried patches, group support, daily mantras, exercising. But I always go back. Any new ideas? --Phil Y., Dunedin, Fla.
A: Your dedication is terrific and the key to success. Dont give up! Its important to realize that doctors and researchers see tobacco use as a chronic, relapsing substance-use disorder. Getting free takes time. Around 55% of Americans who smoke tried to quit in the previous year, but only 7.5% succeeded. Most people try to quit five to seven times before they do it for good. The new news is that there are some breakthroughs in understanding whats most effective.
Incentive: Its more important than ever to quit, since a new study in Thorax found people who smoke and test positive for COVID-19 are 200% more likely to end up in the hospital and 50% more likely to report over 10 COVID-19-related symptoms, including loss of smell, skipping meals, diarrhea, fatigue, confusion or muscle pain. More symptoms indicate a more severe case of COVID-19.
A plan: A recent study in JAMA says using varenicline is more effective than a nicotine patch or bupropion and using varenicline and a patch is even more powerful, although there is a slight increase in side effects.
Varenicline is a drug that reduces cravings for and the pleasurable effects of tobacco. You can take it before you quit to help you get there and after you quit to help you stay the course. The researchers recommend that varenicline be used for 12 weeks or longer. The problem: You cant drive or operate heavy machinery while taking it, so start while youre working from home!
The study also stresses that behavioral therapy should be part of a quit plan. Check out the Centers for Disease Control and Preventions 800-QUIT-NOW for info and coaching help. You can do it!
Q: Every time I have to interact with my health insurance, a doctors office or a hospital, I end up with the nagging feeling that Im not getting the best care I could be. Why does the U.S. health care system seem like such a mess?
Jess H., Lincoln, Neb.
A: It breaks our heart, but according to a well-done new study in JAMA Internal Medicine, the U.S. spends more than $3.5 trillion per year on healthcare, 25% more per capita than the next-highest-spending country. However ... compared with countries tracked by the Commonwealth Fund, the U.S. ranks behind every country on causes of preventable mortality that could have been addressed by health system interventions.
Where does that leave you? With a lot of work to make sure you stay healthy and a lot of work to make sure youre getting the best care you can. Fortunately, you can accomplish those things if you follow some pretty straightforward advice. In his upcoming book The Great Age Reboot, Dr. Mike predicts that scientific breakthroughs in aging research will help you live 30 years longer and younger. But you need to adopt a great lifestyle to benefit fully from these scientific breakthroughs. So here are four steps to help you regain control of your wellbeing day-to-day and when interacting with the health care system.
1. Follow the lifesaving nutritional advice in Dr. Mikes book What to Eat When and look at OzTube on doctoroz.com (search for exercise) for a complete rundown of activity choices.
2. Stay up to date with your regular checkups and vaccinations dont put it off.
3. Go to your doctor with written-out questions; take a family member or friend with you so they can ask questions too. Insist on being heard. Never hesitate to go for a second opinion.
4. If you go into the hospital, arrange to have the patient ombudsman talk to you so you know your rights, have an advocate and get answers to questions especially if family cannot be at your bedside.
Mehmet Oz, M.D. is host of The Dr. Oz Show, and Mike Roizen, M.D. is Chief Wellness Officer Emeritus at Cleveland Clinic. Email your health and wellness questions to Dr. Oz and Dr. Roizen at email@example.com.
Go here to see the original:
- Single-payer health care is back on the table at the California Capitol - Capital Public Radio News - January 11th, 2022
- Grant will help improve access to health care - Washington Daily News - thewashingtondailynews.com - January 11th, 2022
- Health care workers face fatigue as they deal with more COVID-19 patients - News 12 Bronx - January 11th, 2022
- Philly ER doctor: Omicron wave threatens to overpower exhausted health-care workers | Expert Opinion - The Philadelphia Inquirer - January 11th, 2022
- County seeks to expand mental health care for those facing incarceration - Austin Monitor - January 11th, 2022
- CIOs plan big investments in EHR optimization and pop health IT - Healthcare IT News - January 11th, 2022
- Steward Health Care Week 22 high school star athletes of the week - Deseret News - January 11th, 2022
- Health care workers brave bitter cold temperatures at testing sites in Milwaukee - WDJT - January 11th, 2022
- United Way, UPMC, community partners thank health-care workers - Williamsport Sun-Gazette - January 11th, 2022
- COVID hospitalizations hit 300, as many healthcare workers call in sick - KHON2 - January 11th, 2022
- Could this be the year for single-payer health care in New York? - Times Union - January 11th, 2022
- Latinos in U.S. often live in 'deserts' where adequate housing, groceries are hard to find - USA TODAY - January 11th, 2022
- J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conference Starts With Lots of Deals, No Blockbuster M&A - Barron's - January 11th, 2022
- Read the latest Gambit: Getting mental health care in the age of disaster - NOLA.com - January 11th, 2022
- US hospitals recruit foreign nurses to ease health care worker shortage : Shots - Health News - NPR - January 11th, 2022
- [PODCAST] The Pandemic and Beyond: Navigating Disputes Within Health Care Systems - JD Supra - January 11th, 2022
- We're buying more of this high-quality health-care stock amid the market sell-off - CNBC - January 11th, 2022
- Health care heroes honored | News, Sports, Jobs - Youngstown Vindicator - February 15th, 2021
- Black community leaders to discuss vaccines and repairing trust in health care - wcia.com - February 15th, 2021
- Gourmet Cookie owner sharing the love with health care workers by donating treats for each dozen cookies sold - WATE 6 On Your Side - February 15th, 2021
- Funding for Health Care Providers During the Pandemic: An Update - Kaiser Family Foundation - February 15th, 2021
- Vaccine rollout wont be equitable unless health care reckons with racism - The Verge - February 15th, 2021
- City adds disabled residents, home health care providers to list of groups eligible for vaccinations | City of Detroit - City of Detroit - February 15th, 2021
- Delawareans Will Have New Opportunity to Gain Health Insurance Through HealthCare.Gov from Feb. 15 to May 15 - State of Delaware News -... - February 15th, 2021
- What Health Care Providers and Facilities Should Know About the PREP Act's "Covered Countermeasures" - JD Supra - February 15th, 2021
- Health Care Workers Hit Hard by the Coronavirus Pandemic - The New York Times - February 15th, 2021
- These Are The States Attempting to Pass Anti-Trans Health Care Bills - Human Rights Campaign - February 15th, 2021
- Many health care workers turned down their COVID vaccine. Here's why - KGW.com - February 15th, 2021
- Healthcare equity and Alzheimers is the focus of March 3 virtual town hall - cleveland.com - February 15th, 2021
- 'It happened so quickly': Health-care workers lose everything in house fire - 9News.com KUSA - February 15th, 2021
- Since vaccinations began, fewer health care workers in Richmond have tested positive - Richmond.com - February 15th, 2021
- Escalating Cyberattacks on Healthcare Organizations Highlight Need for Security Interventions - HIT Consultant - February 15th, 2021
- Who can afford healthcare these days? | Journal-news - Martinsburg Journal - February 15th, 2021
- 3 of the most pressing health care topics of 2021 - cerner.com - cerner.com - February 4th, 2021
- Biden Moves to Expand Health Coverage in Pandemic Economy - The New York Times - February 4th, 2021
- Bidens Health Care Moves - The New York Times - February 4th, 2021
- UB Department of Surgery launches Anti-Racism and Health Care Equity Initiative with Cornel West as inaugural speaker - UB News Center - February 4th, 2021
- Health Care Unions Find a Voice as the Pandemic Rages - The New York Times - February 4th, 2021
- UPMC Health Care Workers Surprised With Trip To Super Bowl - CBS Pittsburgh - February 4th, 2021
- Partnership created to accelerate health care innovation - WISHTV.com - February 4th, 2021
- Frontline health care workers with ties to Charlotte win free tickets to Super Bowl LV - WCNC.com - February 4th, 2021
- Stroke Recovery - Norton Healthcare - February 4th, 2021
- Hims & Hers, ATA, and 10 others launch Telehealth Equity Coalition - Healthcare IT News - February 4th, 2021
- Rebuilding trust after COVID-19: U.S. healthcare experts weigh in - Medical News Today - February 4th, 2021
- 'Out of Control': Wuhan Health Care Worker Sheds New Light on How COVID's Early Days Really Unfolded in China - FRONTLINE - February 4th, 2021
- 4 Cincinnati health care workers awarded free trip to 2021 Super Bowl - WLWT Cincinnati - February 4th, 2021
- Biden signs executive orders to expand health care access - CBS News - February 4th, 2021
- RI field hospital nurse one of 75 New England health care workers to attend the big game - WPRI.com - February 4th, 2021
- Long Beach moves from vaccinating health care workers to teachers. Mayor says their strategy is different from other cities - KCRW - February 4th, 2021
- Global Healthcare Analytics Market Worth USD 80.21 billion by 2026; Launch of Project Apollo by Cerner to Boost Market - GlobeNewswire - February 4th, 2021
- Kudos to health care workers at vaccination clinic - Beckley Register-Herald - February 4th, 2021
- Change Healthcare Inc. Reports Third Quarter Fiscal 2021 Financial Results - Business Wire - February 4th, 2021
- Accenture rebuffed again in Healthcare.gov protest - FCW.com - February 4th, 2021
- ZEISS partners with Microsoft for better patient care through data-driven healthcare and to enhance quality and efficiency in manufacturing - Stories... - October 8th, 2020
- New Funding to Bring Mental Health Care to Homeless Shelters, Encampments - WTTW News - October 8th, 2020
- Healthcare companies cashing in on financing vehicle boom - Modern Healthcare - October 8th, 2020
- Health care is already benefiting from VR - The Economist - October 8th, 2020
- Health Care: The Best and the Rest | by David Oshinsky - The New York Review of Books - October 8th, 2020
- Diversity in health care starts at the beginning - Nevada Today - October 8th, 2020
- Respiratory therapists: Vital part of health care team - Brownwood Bulletin - October 8th, 2020
- MedaSource: Depth and Breadth in Life Sciences and Healthcare Consulting - BioSpace - October 8th, 2020
- Value-based Care After COVID-19: What Healthcare Leaders Need to Know - Medical Economics - October 8th, 2020
- Free sessions on legal and financial issues for those with neurological conditions - Norton Healthcare - October 8th, 2020
- Telemedicine and Digital Health to Set the Tone for Healthcare - Medical Device and Diagnostics Industry - October 8th, 2020
- How one conversation turned into a fundraiser helping healthcare workers - WATN - Local 24 - October 8th, 2020
- The 14 US health care billionaires, according to Forbes - The Daily Briefing - October 8th, 2020
- Sonic Healthcare USA Enhances Test Offerings with the Launch of Multiplex Assay for COVID-19 and Flu - PRNewswire - October 8th, 2020
- Florida is falling behind on health care and voting rights | Column - Tampa Bay Times - September 21st, 2020
- Doctors Push For Health Care To Address Climate Change In New Teaching Framework - Here And Now - September 21st, 2020
- Closing the rural health care access gap in Jackman, and maybe beyond - Mainebiz - September 21st, 2020
- Digital engagement and transformation of healthcare in Singapore - Healthcare IT News - September 21st, 2020
- From the Editor: The health care business adjusts to an ever-changing world - Mainebiz - September 21st, 2020
- The Coronavirus Is Creating A Mental Health Crisis For Health Care Workers - HuffPost - September 21st, 2020
- Intermountain Healthcare: Fighting for greater health and inclusion for the LGBTQ+ community - ABC 4 - September 21st, 2020
- Letter: Wagner is clueless on health care and the pandemic - STLtoday.com - September 21st, 2020
- Walmart to open health care clinics in Kissimmee and throughout Florida - positivelyosceola.com - September 21st, 2020
- Local VA receives 2020 Healthcare Organization of Distinction Award - Wgnsradio - September 21st, 2020
- Law and order vs. health care as Dems, GOP vie for suburbs - The Associated Press - September 21st, 2020
- Prescription Drug And Healthcare Costs Are Rising - Forbes - September 21st, 2020
- Monument dedicated to health care workers, victims of COVID-19 to become part of artificial reef - Suncoast News - September 21st, 2020