First light. Two figures stand on the boardwalk and scan the break. They look over a beach bleached of color, past wind-tattered WARNING flags, out to where waves are shattering against rock jetties. Then the two pick up their boards and shuffle across the snow and the sand and into the water, in a hurry to join the line of surfers bobbing offshore.
The winter season at Rockaway Beach, with its big waves and storm-fueled swells, attracts a devoted breed of surfer. The kind who wakes before dawn, who battles the A train, who navigates turnstiles with a surfboard, who when the waves are right will even surf in a gale.
Surfers change into their wetsuits on the boardwalk. (To do so anywhere but at the beach is frowned upon.) With only faces exposed, they look like seals in various states of physical fitness.
Chris Williams strips out of his clothes, but keeps his winter hat on. Hes a nursing student, and didnt have class this morning. So he went surfing.
Im not very good, he laughs, his breath pluming the air. But Williams appreciates the Rockaways, how its both peaceful and wild. And close.
Williams tugs on his wetsuit (winter suits are five millimeters thick and cumbersome). Then boots, hood, gloves. The technology makes winter surfing seem not so crazy, or so cold. Still, Williams says, that first slap of icy ocean water to the face is brutal. And its hard afterward, on the subway, trying to tie your shoes.
Some days the waves are a mess, but that doesnt stop Cindy Lai.
If you dont learn how to surf lousy waves, she says, dropping in an unprintable adjective, how are you going to learn? The waves today are definitely unprintable. Ugly, chaotic, formless, mean.
Lai leans into the wind and stares at the water. Beach foam whips at her ankles. After tucking her hair into her hood, she stretches: shoulder rolls, rotational lunges, side lunges with a twist. Shes a personal trainer in Chelsea.
She says she meditates on the subway ride here; when shes in the ocean, her mind is free. Lai paddles into the waves; they push her back.
Unfriendly! she shouts, her voice buffeted by the wind, the smile on her face intact. Lai retreats, moves down the beach, tries again. Ten minutes later she is still trying to get out past the waves but they wont let her.
After days of gnarly waves, the weather switches. Thick waves curl evenly to shore with a low rumble. Twenty surfers float outside the break, waiting. A wave rears up. One surfer tips forward and face-plants, board flipping skyward in a white polyurethane flag of surrender.
Another wave rises up. Another surfer leaps up and cuts down the face of it, knees bent, arms low, gaining balance, leaving behind a crash of white, gathering speed as time slows, as wave and surfer shoot from one side of the break all the way to the other until finally the wave eases and the surfer drops. In that moment, despite this taking place at a distance, the language spoken within that body is clear: euphoria.
A morning frost covers the beach. Dune grasses shiver. This doesnt stop the regulars. One man has been coming to the beach and bodysurfing. Without a wetsuit. He catches the waves inside the surfers and rides them to shore, a bare-chested bald torpedo. He stays out there an impossibly long time (the water temperature is 42 degrees) before coming in and running around the sand in tight little circles. He towels off, skin steaming. Drinks from a thermos. Pulls on pants, socks, multiple sweaters, a scarf. Clothed, he looks like a normal New Yorker.
Warren Sampson doesnt love surfing in the cold. He grew up in the Rockaways, but learned to surf in Jamaica. After serving 12 years in the Marines, hes now in school and works at Breakwater Surf Co. He also started a nonprofit school where he and his cousin teach surfing to local children. But thats in good weather.
You have to fight through it, Sampson says of winter surfing. He mutters something about mental fortitude, then paddles out to the break.
Sampson catches a few waves. A few waves catch him, flipping him around like hes not 200 pounds and built like an anchor, which he is. Thirty minutes later Sampson returns to shore, sore and breathless. Hes beaming: Im done!
Rockaway Beach, even in winter, is always in flux: waves, clouds, creatures. Nothing stays in one place for long. Sandpipers racing, sea gulls hovering, snow geese rolling over waves (they almost look as if theyre surfing). Dawn sky sliding from pink to gray. Container ships scud the horizon. Overhead, a winged leviathan, Japan Airlines Flight 006 from Tokyo, breaks through the clouds and descends toward John F. Kennedy Airport. A line of surfers floats offshore, waiting.
I need this, Steve Horney says as he scans the break. Its a crisp morning, with small waves. Horney has the beach to himself.
Discovering the Rockaways changed Horneys perspective on living in New York. Hes a physical therapist in the West Village; he has come out as often as he can this winter. After surfing hell go to Locals, the cafe and surf collective where he rents a locker to store his boards. Hell have a hot shower and an herbal tea before riding the A train home. But not yet.
Theres really something special about right here, right now, he says. He tucks his beard into his hood. Stretches his legs, arms, core. Then he walks into the surf, lifts himself onto his board, and paddles out into the ocean.
Here is the original post:
- Local beaches were packed as COVID-19 scare sends folks outside - News965 - March 16th, 2020
- Event cancellations in the Bay Area lead many to busy beaches - FOX 13 Tampa Bay - March 16th, 2020
- People flock to beaches as other places across Tampa Bay shut down - WTSP.com - March 16th, 2020
- Drive-through coronavirus testing starts Monday in West Palm Beach - WPTV.com - March 16th, 2020
- Boris Johnson's hero is the mayor who kept the beaches open in Jaws. That's fine by me - The Guardian - March 16th, 2020
- Coronavirus Update: Jones Beach Eyed As Possible Drive-Thru Testing Site As Number Of Cases On Long Island Grows - CBS New York - March 16th, 2020
- 2 men shot in North Long Beach, police investigating it as gang-related - Long Beach Post - March 16th, 2020
- Watch The Late Layne Staley Performing With TOOL On A Beach In Oahu, 1993 - Metal Injection.net - March 16th, 2020
- Man flew to Palm Beach after positive coronavirus test: reports | TheHill - The Hill - March 16th, 2020
- Clearwater Has Much More To Offer Than Just World-Class Beaches - Forbes - February 26th, 2020
- City votes to put $10,000 toward sexual assault prevention at Beaches ahead of spring break - FirstCoastNews.com WTLV-WJXX - February 26th, 2020
- Construction begins for Acura Grand Prix of Long Beach - Long Beach Press Telegram - February 26th, 2020
- UCLA takes first Pac-12 Beach Volleyball Pair of the Week honor - Pac-12.com - February 26th, 2020
- Denby Fawcett: Clearing The Homeless Out Of Kuhio Beach Pavilions - Honolulu Civil Beat - February 26th, 2020
- Beach Haus Brewery: The Place to Be for Unbeatable Views of the St. Patrick's Day Parade - TAPinto.net - February 26th, 2020
- Massive desalination buoy washes up on Hobe Sound beach - WPTV.com - February 26th, 2020
- Cal State Long Beach Continues Reversing The Number Of College Dropouts - Patch.com - February 26th, 2020
- Miami Beach Chefs to be Honored At City Hall Ceremony - Miami New Times - February 26th, 2020
- Ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach Plan to collaborate on cargo operations - Logistics Management - February 26th, 2020
- Relics washed up on beaches reveal lost world beneath the North Sea - Science Magazine - January 30th, 2020
- Beach chairs, blankets and trash. Massive mess left after Trump's Wildwood rally. - NJ.com - January 30th, 2020
- Miami Beach Hires Hunting Service to Kill City's Invasive Iguanas - Miami New Times - January 30th, 2020
- Helicopter Crash Victim Alyssa Altobelli to Be Honored at Newport Beach Vigil - NBC Southern California - January 30th, 2020
- The Preservation Foundation of Palm Beach Celebrates 40 Years - Palm Beach - January 30th, 2020
- This Weekend's Long Beach Island Area Entertainment Lineup for January 30 through February 2, Presented by the Tide Table Group - TAPinto.net - January 30th, 2020
- Where to retire on the beach for $95,000 a year - msnNOW - January 30th, 2020
- 7 victims of Kobe Bryant crash lived in Newport Beach - Los Angeles Times - January 30th, 2020
- One Paycheck Away: Families struggle to survive in Palm Beach County - WPTV.com - January 30th, 2020
- Wrightsville Beach and the Dread God of Fire - StarNewsOnline.com - January 30th, 2020
- Sandy Point Beach House restaurant coming to Grand Rapids - mlive.com - January 30th, 2020
- Fortnite Frozen Firework Locations: Where To Light Frozen Fireworks Found On Beaches - Forbes - January 2nd, 2020
- Australia: Thousands trapped on beach as fires approach - DW (English) - January 2nd, 2020
- Thousands of Australians flee to beaches as wildfires rage - NBCNews.com - January 2nd, 2020
- 13,000-pound buoy removed from New Smyrna Beach, taken to Ponce Inlet - WESH 2 Orlando - January 2nd, 2020
- Never-Lived-In Palm Beach Mansion Listed For $43M - Forbes - January 2nd, 2020
- Restaurant Review: It's worth braving the crowds for Sake in Vero Beach - TCPalm - January 2nd, 2020
- Beaches (1988) - IMDb - December 26th, 2019
- Beaches (film) - Wikipedia - December 26th, 2019
- Beaches (1988) - Rotten Tomatoes - December 26th, 2019
- Island Beach State Park wants to save the dunes with your old Christmas tree - NJBIZ - December 26th, 2019
- Save The Date: Sign up for the annual Adopt-A-Beach Coastal Bend Winter cleanup - KIIITV.com - December 26th, 2019
- Christmas Day means beach day when the temperature is 80 - FOX 13 Tampa Bay - December 26th, 2019
- Delray Beach police investigating woman's body found on beach - WPBF West Palm Beach - December 26th, 2019
- Death on a Portland beach: What led to an attack on a young father, what losses followed - OregonLive - December 26th, 2019
- Top stories from 2019, No. 6: Carolina Beach resident claims lifeguards and thongs in violation of town code - Port City Daily - December 26th, 2019
- 2019 in review, top stories from the year: No. 9, Feeling Cheeky in Kure Beach? [Free Read] - Port City Daily - December 26th, 2019
- Man's body found on the beach in Longboat Key - WTSP.com - December 26th, 2019
- The Story of Beach Sand Is Way More Interesting Than You Thought - TheInertia.com - December 23rd, 2019
- Ben Shipp edges Garett Reband in South Beach International Amateur playoff - Golfweek - December 23rd, 2019
- Wave goodbye: Long Beach breakwater won't be removed - Los Angeles Times - December 23rd, 2019
- Photos: Beach-cities drive pits Manhattan and Hermosa Beach in friendly competition to collect the most toys for needy - The Daily Breeze - December 23rd, 2019
- $1 billion for Briny Breezes? Real estate broker thinks Trump would buy... and residents are listening - Palm Beach Post - December 23rd, 2019
- The top 10 stories of 2019 in Long Beach - Long Beach Post - December 23rd, 2019
- 'We'll never forget this': Loved ones pay tribute to couple killed in Mastic Beach crash 1 year ago - News 12 Long Island - December 23rd, 2019
- Daytonas downtown has another major development brewing - Daytona Beach News-Journal - December 23rd, 2019
- Baghdad's 'Tahrir Beach' where the revolution takes a break - Yahoo News - December 23rd, 2019
- Dead whale found on Midland Beach; carcass will be buried there - SILive.com - December 23rd, 2019
- Wildwood to host 3-day country music festival on the beach - WHYY - December 23rd, 2019
- Five Must-Try Water Activities For Your Next Beach Vacation - Forbes - November 25th, 2019
- Beach Hazards Statement issued for beaches due to red tide - Fox 4 - November 25th, 2019
- President Trump to arrive in Palm Beach County on Tuesday - WPTV.com - November 25th, 2019
- Man, 20, killed in fiery Newport Beach crash is identified as Stanton resident - Los Angeles Times - November 25th, 2019
- Huntington Beach resident identified as one of two women killed in Westminster crash - Los Angeles Times - November 25th, 2019
- IRCSO: Vero Beach man arrested, accused of trafficking and carrying opioids - TCPalm - November 25th, 2019
- Stuart, Port St. Lucie and Vero Beach are Purple Heart cities, but what does that mean? - TCPalm - November 25th, 2019
- Wings made of conch shells on Jersey Shore beach are a heaven-sent photo op - NJ.com - November 25th, 2019
- Long Beach Man Killed in Citys 3rd Shooting in Just Over 24 Hours - KTLA Los Angeles - November 25th, 2019
- Hoops revival continues: Tulane men win 2 of 3 in Myrtle Beach, improve to 5-1 - NOLA.com - November 25th, 2019
- A Komodo dragon hit the beach wearing a turtle as a hat, and there's video evidence - INSIDER - November 25th, 2019
- Teens Confess to Vandalizing Benches at Groton Beaches: Police - NBC Connecticut - November 25th, 2019
- Jax Beach Pier closed: Work begins on 2-year project - ActionNewsJax.com - November 25th, 2019
- Vero Beach woman dies after crash; Indian River Boulevard to close for investigation - TCPalm - November 25th, 2019
- The Beach Boys top this weekend's nightlife in the Coachella Valley - Desert Sun - November 25th, 2019
- Sea of devotees throng beaches - The Hindu - November 12th, 2019
- Bricks of 'very pure' cocaine keep washing up on French beaches - New York Post - November 12th, 2019
- Trump Administration Makes It Easier to Dredge Protected Areas to Restore Beaches - The New York Times - November 12th, 2019
- Technically, This Is the Most Perfect Stretch of Beach In the World - Thrillist - November 12th, 2019
- For the 2nd day in a row, some Hawaii beaches are closed because of shark sightings - Q13 News Seattle - November 12th, 2019
- Thousands of Glorious 'Ice Eggs' Wash Up on Finnish Beach - Livescience.com - November 12th, 2019
- Lee and Collier County upgrading tools to keep SWFL beaches clean - Wink News - November 12th, 2019