East Coast of Australia: The Most Beautiful Beaches & Islands to Visit - Thrillist
Theres a pretty well-worn backpacker route that runs from Southeast Asia all the way down to New Zealand. Its spine is the east coast of Australia, from maybe as far north as Darwin to as far south as Adelaide, but definitely from Cairns down to at least Sydney. Theres a reason visitors favor this part of the continent. Perth is gorgeous but geographically isolated; Uluru is finally closed as a tourist attraction, a thing it never should have become in the first place. But that eastern coast is stuffed with back-to-back wonders; many of them famous, others less so. And one in particular that might be the most famous -- whether you know its name or not:
Whitehaven is famous for a specific and undeniable reason: It has the whitest sand of any beach in the world, composed of 98% pure silica. Ive been there once and, four years later, can still see the afterimage burned into my retinas. Whitehaven is only accessible by boat or seaplane, so this is something youll have to join a tour group for rather than visiting independently. The water is shallow and warm and bright, and you wade through it alongside little lemon shark pups, squinting against a blinding stretch of white in every direction.
Whitehaven is just one part (albeit the most iconic one) of the larger Whitsundays, a collection of 74 remote islands nestled between the coastline and the Great Barrier Reef. If youve ever dreamed of seeing the reef in person, or have a newly burning desire to see it before it becomes a pile of Styrofoam, this is where you should go.
God this was fun. Fraser is another one for which youll need to join a tour, unless you happen to have your own car with serious 4WD. But Fraser Island group tours will place you in such a car and let you all take turns driving, which on my particular trip involved two minor accidents (NOT while I was driving), a medium amount of road rage, and a lot of stress, but the greatest possible amount of fun. Youll drive through shallow water along the beach, camp overnight, cook, drink, float down a river, and negotiate outhouses guarded by plate-sized spiders. Also, dingoes! Dingos live on Fraser Island. I should have led with that. You can see dingos here.
Sunshine Coast is just south of Fraser Island and contains a succession of dreamy beaches and national parks. You can splash into swimming holes hidden in the rainforest of Kondalilla National park; walk barefoot along Sunshine beach; and wander to the edge of the mesmerizing Mooloolaba Spit.
Noosa is one of the towns youll find along the Sunshine Coast. The main beach is a long-time favorite among surfers and a must-see for anyone passing through the region. Noosa National Park is enchanting in its own right, but has the added bonus of being a great place to see some koalas, if youre into that sort of thing.
Continuing our journey down the coast, we next come to Queensland's capitol city, which sits on the Brisbane River. Brisbane is often overlooked by tourists in favor of the more fashionable Sydney and Melbourne, but at the very least you should take a day and stop at Streets Beach -- the only inner-city beach in the country. Also, Brisbane is an excellent location to befriend some more koalas.
Below Brisbane lies the Gold Coast, where youll find long, long stretches of pristine beaches and all the good surfing sports you could ever ask for. Theres an abundance of hikable rainforest here too, but dont leave right away once youve finished getting into nature -- the city is known for its nightlife, too.
Below the Gold Coast we next come to Byron Bay. Lots of stops along this route get deservedly hyped up as surfing spots, but Byron Bay is the full experience -- a town that lives and breathes surf culture. It has all the charm of a (comparatively) smaller town, and yet you still get all the backpacking standbys: cafes, beachside bars, snorkeling, and even scuba diving and whale watching if thats what youre after.MORE: The best scuba diving destinations around the world
One of the most iconic beaches anywhere -- not just Australia, but anywhere in the world. A few miles from downtown Sydney, Bondi is massive. You can surf, you can swim, you can stay on land admiring the suspiciously endless parade of hot people walking past. Make sure to visit during the weekend to browse the beach markets, where you can get your lunch (and souvenirs) from scores of local vendors.
Just inland from Sydney lies Blue Mountains National Park, and first off its important to know that this is a choice destination for spotting kangaroos. But Blue Mountains National Park is worth visiting largely because it looks like something out of Avatar. Its also home to an adventure theme park where you can ride the worlds steepest passenger railway, or walk along a skyway suspended in the rainforest canopy.MORE: Heres an Australian golf course with 300 resident kangaroos
Sign up here for our daily Thrillist email, get Next Flight Out for more travel coverage, and subscribe here for our YouTube channel to get your fix of the best in food/drink/fun.
Kastalia Medranois Thrillist's Travel Writer. You can send her travel tips email@example.com, and Venmo tips at@kastaliamedrano.
Like us on Facebook to get the best of both worlds.
We see that you already have an account. You're good to go!
There was an error signing up. Try again.
Our best stories, delivered daily
The best decision you'll make all day.
Read the rest here:
- Local beaches were packed as COVID-19 scare sends folks outside - News965 - March 16th, 2020
- Event cancellations in the Bay Area lead many to busy beaches - FOX 13 Tampa Bay - March 16th, 2020
- People flock to beaches as other places across Tampa Bay shut down - WTSP.com - March 16th, 2020
- Drive-through coronavirus testing starts Monday in West Palm Beach - WPTV.com - March 16th, 2020
- Boris Johnson's hero is the mayor who kept the beaches open in Jaws. That's fine by me - The Guardian - March 16th, 2020
- Coronavirus Update: Jones Beach Eyed As Possible Drive-Thru Testing Site As Number Of Cases On Long Island Grows - CBS New York - March 16th, 2020
- 2 men shot in North Long Beach, police investigating it as gang-related - Long Beach Post - March 16th, 2020
- Watch The Late Layne Staley Performing With TOOL On A Beach In Oahu, 1993 - Metal Injection.net - March 16th, 2020
- Man flew to Palm Beach after positive coronavirus test: reports | TheHill - The Hill - March 16th, 2020
- Clearwater Has Much More To Offer Than Just World-Class Beaches - Forbes - February 26th, 2020
- City votes to put $10,000 toward sexual assault prevention at Beaches ahead of spring break - FirstCoastNews.com WTLV-WJXX - February 26th, 2020
- Construction begins for Acura Grand Prix of Long Beach - Long Beach Press Telegram - February 26th, 2020
- UCLA takes first Pac-12 Beach Volleyball Pair of the Week honor - Pac-12.com - February 26th, 2020
- The Winter Surfers of Rockaway Beach - The New York Times - February 26th, 2020
- Denby Fawcett: Clearing The Homeless Out Of Kuhio Beach Pavilions - Honolulu Civil Beat - February 26th, 2020
- Beach Haus Brewery: The Place to Be for Unbeatable Views of the St. Patrick's Day Parade - TAPinto.net - February 26th, 2020
- Massive desalination buoy washes up on Hobe Sound beach - WPTV.com - February 26th, 2020
- Cal State Long Beach Continues Reversing The Number Of College Dropouts - Patch.com - February 26th, 2020
- Miami Beach Chefs to be Honored At City Hall Ceremony - Miami New Times - February 26th, 2020
- Ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach Plan to collaborate on cargo operations - Logistics Management - February 26th, 2020
- Relics washed up on beaches reveal lost world beneath the North Sea - Science Magazine - January 30th, 2020
- Beach chairs, blankets and trash. Massive mess left after Trump's Wildwood rally. - NJ.com - January 30th, 2020
- Miami Beach Hires Hunting Service to Kill City's Invasive Iguanas - Miami New Times - January 30th, 2020
- Helicopter Crash Victim Alyssa Altobelli to Be Honored at Newport Beach Vigil - NBC Southern California - January 30th, 2020
- The Preservation Foundation of Palm Beach Celebrates 40 Years - Palm Beach - January 30th, 2020
- This Weekend's Long Beach Island Area Entertainment Lineup for January 30 through February 2, Presented by the Tide Table Group - TAPinto.net - January 30th, 2020
- Where to retire on the beach for $95,000 a year - msnNOW - January 30th, 2020
- 7 victims of Kobe Bryant crash lived in Newport Beach - Los Angeles Times - January 30th, 2020
- One Paycheck Away: Families struggle to survive in Palm Beach County - WPTV.com - January 30th, 2020
- Wrightsville Beach and the Dread God of Fire - StarNewsOnline.com - January 30th, 2020
- Sandy Point Beach House restaurant coming to Grand Rapids - mlive.com - January 30th, 2020
- Fortnite Frozen Firework Locations: Where To Light Frozen Fireworks Found On Beaches - Forbes - January 2nd, 2020
- Australia: Thousands trapped on beach as fires approach - DW (English) - January 2nd, 2020
- Thousands of Australians flee to beaches as wildfires rage - NBCNews.com - January 2nd, 2020
- 13,000-pound buoy removed from New Smyrna Beach, taken to Ponce Inlet - WESH 2 Orlando - January 2nd, 2020
- Never-Lived-In Palm Beach Mansion Listed For $43M - Forbes - January 2nd, 2020
- Restaurant Review: It's worth braving the crowds for Sake in Vero Beach - TCPalm - January 2nd, 2020
- Beaches (1988) - IMDb - December 26th, 2019
- Beaches (film) - Wikipedia - December 26th, 2019
- Beaches (1988) - Rotten Tomatoes - December 26th, 2019
- Island Beach State Park wants to save the dunes with your old Christmas tree - NJBIZ - December 26th, 2019
- Save The Date: Sign up for the annual Adopt-A-Beach Coastal Bend Winter cleanup - KIIITV.com - December 26th, 2019
- Christmas Day means beach day when the temperature is 80 - FOX 13 Tampa Bay - December 26th, 2019
- Delray Beach police investigating woman's body found on beach - WPBF West Palm Beach - December 26th, 2019
- Death on a Portland beach: What led to an attack on a young father, what losses followed - OregonLive - December 26th, 2019
- Top stories from 2019, No. 6: Carolina Beach resident claims lifeguards and thongs in violation of town code - Port City Daily - December 26th, 2019
- 2019 in review, top stories from the year: No. 9, Feeling Cheeky in Kure Beach? [Free Read] - Port City Daily - December 26th, 2019
- Man's body found on the beach in Longboat Key - WTSP.com - December 26th, 2019
- The Story of Beach Sand Is Way More Interesting Than You Thought - TheInertia.com - December 23rd, 2019
- Ben Shipp edges Garett Reband in South Beach International Amateur playoff - Golfweek - December 23rd, 2019
- Wave goodbye: Long Beach breakwater won't be removed - Los Angeles Times - December 23rd, 2019
- Photos: Beach-cities drive pits Manhattan and Hermosa Beach in friendly competition to collect the most toys for needy - The Daily Breeze - December 23rd, 2019
- $1 billion for Briny Breezes? Real estate broker thinks Trump would buy... and residents are listening - Palm Beach Post - December 23rd, 2019
- The top 10 stories of 2019 in Long Beach - Long Beach Post - December 23rd, 2019
- 'We'll never forget this': Loved ones pay tribute to couple killed in Mastic Beach crash 1 year ago - News 12 Long Island - December 23rd, 2019
- Daytonas downtown has another major development brewing - Daytona Beach News-Journal - December 23rd, 2019
- Baghdad's 'Tahrir Beach' where the revolution takes a break - Yahoo News - December 23rd, 2019
- Dead whale found on Midland Beach; carcass will be buried there - SILive.com - December 23rd, 2019
- Wildwood to host 3-day country music festival on the beach - WHYY - December 23rd, 2019
- Five Must-Try Water Activities For Your Next Beach Vacation - Forbes - November 25th, 2019
- Beach Hazards Statement issued for beaches due to red tide - Fox 4 - November 25th, 2019
- President Trump to arrive in Palm Beach County on Tuesday - WPTV.com - November 25th, 2019
- Man, 20, killed in fiery Newport Beach crash is identified as Stanton resident - Los Angeles Times - November 25th, 2019
- Huntington Beach resident identified as one of two women killed in Westminster crash - Los Angeles Times - November 25th, 2019
- IRCSO: Vero Beach man arrested, accused of trafficking and carrying opioids - TCPalm - November 25th, 2019
- Stuart, Port St. Lucie and Vero Beach are Purple Heart cities, but what does that mean? - TCPalm - November 25th, 2019
- Wings made of conch shells on Jersey Shore beach are a heaven-sent photo op - NJ.com - November 25th, 2019
- Long Beach Man Killed in Citys 3rd Shooting in Just Over 24 Hours - KTLA Los Angeles - November 25th, 2019
- Hoops revival continues: Tulane men win 2 of 3 in Myrtle Beach, improve to 5-1 - NOLA.com - November 25th, 2019
- A Komodo dragon hit the beach wearing a turtle as a hat, and there's video evidence - INSIDER - November 25th, 2019
- Teens Confess to Vandalizing Benches at Groton Beaches: Police - NBC Connecticut - November 25th, 2019
- Jax Beach Pier closed: Work begins on 2-year project - ActionNewsJax.com - November 25th, 2019
- Vero Beach woman dies after crash; Indian River Boulevard to close for investigation - TCPalm - November 25th, 2019
- The Beach Boys top this weekend's nightlife in the Coachella Valley - Desert Sun - November 25th, 2019
- Sea of devotees throng beaches - The Hindu - November 12th, 2019
- Bricks of 'very pure' cocaine keep washing up on French beaches - New York Post - November 12th, 2019
- Trump Administration Makes It Easier to Dredge Protected Areas to Restore Beaches - The New York Times - November 12th, 2019
- For the 2nd day in a row, some Hawaii beaches are closed because of shark sightings - Q13 News Seattle - November 12th, 2019
- Thousands of Glorious 'Ice Eggs' Wash Up on Finnish Beach - Livescience.com - November 12th, 2019
- Lee and Collier County upgrading tools to keep SWFL beaches clean - Wink News - November 12th, 2019