East Coast of Australia: The Most Beautiful Beaches & Islands to Visit - Thrillist
Theres a pretty well-worn backpacker route that runs from Southeast Asia all the way down to New Zealand. Its spine is the east coast of Australia, from maybe as far north as Darwin to as far south as Adelaide, but definitely from Cairns down to at least Sydney. Theres a reason visitors favor this part of the continent. Perth is gorgeous but geographically isolated; Uluru is finally closed as a tourist attraction, a thing it never should have become in the first place. But that eastern coast is stuffed with back-to-back wonders; many of them famous, others less so. And one in particular that might be the most famous -- whether you know its name or not:
Whitehaven is famous for a specific and undeniable reason: It has the whitest sand of any beach in the world, composed of 98% pure silica. Ive been there once and, four years later, can still see the afterimage burned into my retinas. Whitehaven is only accessible by boat or seaplane, so this is something youll have to join a tour group for rather than visiting independently. The water is shallow and warm and bright, and you wade through it alongside little lemon shark pups, squinting against a blinding stretch of white in every direction.
Whitehaven is just one part (albeit the most iconic one) of the larger Whitsundays, a collection of 74 remote islands nestled between the coastline and the Great Barrier Reef. If youve ever dreamed of seeing the reef in person, or have a newly burning desire to see it before it becomes a pile of Styrofoam, this is where you should go.
God this was fun. Fraser is another one for which youll need to join a tour, unless you happen to have your own car with serious 4WD. But Fraser Island group tours will place you in such a car and let you all take turns driving, which on my particular trip involved two minor accidents (NOT while I was driving), a medium amount of road rage, and a lot of stress, but the greatest possible amount of fun. Youll drive through shallow water along the beach, camp overnight, cook, drink, float down a river, and negotiate outhouses guarded by plate-sized spiders. Also, dingoes! Dingos live on Fraser Island. I should have led with that. You can see dingos here.
Sunshine Coast is just south of Fraser Island and contains a succession of dreamy beaches and national parks. You can splash into swimming holes hidden in the rainforest of Kondalilla National park; walk barefoot along Sunshine beach; and wander to the edge of the mesmerizing Mooloolaba Spit.
Noosa is one of the towns youll find along the Sunshine Coast. The main beach is a long-time favorite among surfers and a must-see for anyone passing through the region. Noosa National Park is enchanting in its own right, but has the added bonus of being a great place to see some koalas, if youre into that sort of thing.
Continuing our journey down the coast, we next come to Queensland's capitol city, which sits on the Brisbane River. Brisbane is often overlooked by tourists in favor of the more fashionable Sydney and Melbourne, but at the very least you should take a day and stop at Streets Beach -- the only inner-city beach in the country. Also, Brisbane is an excellent location to befriend some more koalas.
Below Brisbane lies the Gold Coast, where youll find long, long stretches of pristine beaches and all the good surfing sports you could ever ask for. Theres an abundance of hikable rainforest here too, but dont leave right away once youve finished getting into nature -- the city is known for its nightlife, too.
Below the Gold Coast we next come to Byron Bay. Lots of stops along this route get deservedly hyped up as surfing spots, but Byron Bay is the full experience -- a town that lives and breathes surf culture. It has all the charm of a (comparatively) smaller town, and yet you still get all the backpacking standbys: cafes, beachside bars, snorkeling, and even scuba diving and whale watching if thats what youre after.MORE: The best scuba diving destinations around the world
One of the most iconic beaches anywhere -- not just Australia, but anywhere in the world. A few miles from downtown Sydney, Bondi is massive. You can surf, you can swim, you can stay on land admiring the suspiciously endless parade of hot people walking past. Make sure to visit during the weekend to browse the beach markets, where you can get your lunch (and souvenirs) from scores of local vendors.
Just inland from Sydney lies Blue Mountains National Park, and first off its important to know that this is a choice destination for spotting kangaroos. But Blue Mountains National Park is worth visiting largely because it looks like something out of Avatar. Its also home to an adventure theme park where you can ride the worlds steepest passenger railway, or walk along a skyway suspended in the rainforest canopy.MORE: Heres an Australian golf course with 300 resident kangaroos
Sign up here for our daily Thrillist email, get Next Flight Out for more travel coverage, and subscribe here for our YouTube channel to get your fix of the best in food/drink/fun.
Kastalia Medranois Thrillist's Travel Writer. You can send her travel tips email@example.com, and Venmo tips at@kastaliamedrano.
Like us on Facebook to get the best of both worlds.
We see that you already have an account. You're good to go!
There was an error signing up. Try again.
Our best stories, delivered daily
The best decision you'll make all day.
Read the rest here:
- Fortnite Frozen Firework Locations: Where To Light Frozen Fireworks Found On Beaches - Forbes - January 2nd, 2020
- Australia: Thousands trapped on beach as fires approach - DW (English) - January 2nd, 2020
- Thousands of Australians flee to beaches as wildfires rage - NBCNews.com - January 2nd, 2020
- 13,000-pound buoy removed from New Smyrna Beach, taken to Ponce Inlet - WESH 2 Orlando - January 2nd, 2020
- Never-Lived-In Palm Beach Mansion Listed For $43M - Forbes - January 2nd, 2020
- Restaurant Review: It's worth braving the crowds for Sake in Vero Beach - TCPalm - January 2nd, 2020
- Beaches (1988) - IMDb - December 26th, 2019
- Beaches (film) - Wikipedia - December 26th, 2019
- Beaches (1988) - Rotten Tomatoes - December 26th, 2019
- Island Beach State Park wants to save the dunes with your old Christmas tree - NJBIZ - December 26th, 2019
- Save The Date: Sign up for the annual Adopt-A-Beach Coastal Bend Winter cleanup - KIIITV.com - December 26th, 2019
- Christmas Day means beach day when the temperature is 80 - FOX 13 Tampa Bay - December 26th, 2019
- Delray Beach police investigating woman's body found on beach - WPBF West Palm Beach - December 26th, 2019
- Death on a Portland beach: What led to an attack on a young father, what losses followed - OregonLive - December 26th, 2019
- Top stories from 2019, No. 6: Carolina Beach resident claims lifeguards and thongs in violation of town code - Port City Daily - December 26th, 2019
- 2019 in review, top stories from the year: No. 9, Feeling Cheeky in Kure Beach? [Free Read] - Port City Daily - December 26th, 2019
- Man's body found on the beach in Longboat Key - WTSP.com - December 26th, 2019
- The Story of Beach Sand Is Way More Interesting Than You Thought - TheInertia.com - December 23rd, 2019
- Ben Shipp edges Garett Reband in South Beach International Amateur playoff - Golfweek - December 23rd, 2019
- Wave goodbye: Long Beach breakwater won't be removed - Los Angeles Times - December 23rd, 2019
- Photos: Beach-cities drive pits Manhattan and Hermosa Beach in friendly competition to collect the most toys for needy - The Daily Breeze - December 23rd, 2019
- $1 billion for Briny Breezes? Real estate broker thinks Trump would buy... and residents are listening - Palm Beach Post - December 23rd, 2019
- The top 10 stories of 2019 in Long Beach - Long Beach Post - December 23rd, 2019
- 'We'll never forget this': Loved ones pay tribute to couple killed in Mastic Beach crash 1 year ago - News 12 Long Island - December 23rd, 2019
- Daytonas downtown has another major development brewing - Daytona Beach News-Journal - December 23rd, 2019
- Baghdad's 'Tahrir Beach' where the revolution takes a break - Yahoo News - December 23rd, 2019
- Dead whale found on Midland Beach; carcass will be buried there - SILive.com - December 23rd, 2019
- Wildwood to host 3-day country music festival on the beach - WHYY - December 23rd, 2019
- Five Must-Try Water Activities For Your Next Beach Vacation - Forbes - November 25th, 2019
- Beach Hazards Statement issued for beaches due to red tide - Fox 4 - November 25th, 2019
- President Trump to arrive in Palm Beach County on Tuesday - WPTV.com - November 25th, 2019
- Man, 20, killed in fiery Newport Beach crash is identified as Stanton resident - Los Angeles Times - November 25th, 2019
- Huntington Beach resident identified as one of two women killed in Westminster crash - Los Angeles Times - November 25th, 2019
- IRCSO: Vero Beach man arrested, accused of trafficking and carrying opioids - TCPalm - November 25th, 2019
- Stuart, Port St. Lucie and Vero Beach are Purple Heart cities, but what does that mean? - TCPalm - November 25th, 2019
- Wings made of conch shells on Jersey Shore beach are a heaven-sent photo op - NJ.com - November 25th, 2019
- Long Beach Man Killed in Citys 3rd Shooting in Just Over 24 Hours - KTLA Los Angeles - November 25th, 2019
- Hoops revival continues: Tulane men win 2 of 3 in Myrtle Beach, improve to 5-1 - NOLA.com - November 25th, 2019
- A Komodo dragon hit the beach wearing a turtle as a hat, and there's video evidence - INSIDER - November 25th, 2019
- Teens Confess to Vandalizing Benches at Groton Beaches: Police - NBC Connecticut - November 25th, 2019
- Jax Beach Pier closed: Work begins on 2-year project - ActionNewsJax.com - November 25th, 2019
- Vero Beach woman dies after crash; Indian River Boulevard to close for investigation - TCPalm - November 25th, 2019
- The Beach Boys top this weekend's nightlife in the Coachella Valley - Desert Sun - November 25th, 2019
- Sea of devotees throng beaches - The Hindu - November 12th, 2019
- Bricks of 'very pure' cocaine keep washing up on French beaches - New York Post - November 12th, 2019
- Trump Administration Makes It Easier to Dredge Protected Areas to Restore Beaches - The New York Times - November 12th, 2019
- For the 2nd day in a row, some Hawaii beaches are closed because of shark sightings - Q13 News Seattle - November 12th, 2019
- Thousands of Glorious 'Ice Eggs' Wash Up on Finnish Beach - Livescience.com - November 12th, 2019
- Lee and Collier County upgrading tools to keep SWFL beaches clean - Wink News - November 12th, 2019
- Suspect and victim in deadly shooting ID'd - WPTV.com - November 12th, 2019
- IVGID to discuss golf carts, tennis center, bocce ball, beach house and summer wrap up - Tahoe Daily Tribune - November 12th, 2019
- Ice eggs: Thousands of rare balls of ice cover beach in Finland - CBS News - November 12th, 2019
- Jersey Shore beach fill project will begin after fight with feds over sand - NJ.com - November 12th, 2019
- 150kg of diamond cocaine washes up on French beaches, locals urged against treasure hunting - RT - November 12th, 2019
- Feature: Long Beach Poly's James Chubba Maae In The Middle Of It All - The562.org - November 12th, 2019
- Several Birds Found Dead On Huntington Beach Test Positive For Very Unexpected Type Of Botulism - CBS Los Angeles - November 12th, 2019
- Forward Progress Of Marin County Coast Wildfire Stopped - CBS San Francisco - October 25th, 2019
- Your favorite beaches around the world could disappear because of the climate crisis, development - CNN - October 25th, 2019
- A rare Caribbean island where beaches aren't the draw - CNN - October 25th, 2019
- In Southern Shores election, traffic and beaches and town manager dominate - The Outer Banks Voice - October 25th, 2019
- Reunion Special: Who's Still Together From Ex On The Beach Season 3? - MTV.com - October 25th, 2019
- Twin Harbors and Long Beach approved for clam dig that starts this weekend | KXRO News Radio - KXRO Newsradio - October 25th, 2019
- Rules banning dogs from cemeteries, beaches and playgrounds published by council - Isle of Wight County Press - October 25th, 2019
- Second suspect arrested in Huntington Beach shooting that left man in critical condition - Los Angeles Times - October 25th, 2019
- Wonsan's Beach Resort on Pace for Completion by Spring 2020 - 38 North - October 25th, 2019
- 165,000 tons of sand on the move to replenish Naples beaches - Wink News - October 25th, 2019
- U.S. offered to build North Korean beach resort in recent nuclear talks - MarketWatch - October 25th, 2019
- These SC houses are falling into the ocean as beaches erode. Who should remove them? - Charleston Post Courier - October 12th, 2019
- Vero Beach outlasts Treasure Coast to clinch district title in overtime thriller - TCPalm - October 12th, 2019
- Unexpected Brit beach becomes only one in UK to make it into international top six - Mirror Online - October 12th, 2019
- Mexico Beach business community wiped out by Michael - The Albany Herald - October 12th, 2019
- Lawmakers to call for disciplinary action against judge - WPTV.com - October 12th, 2019
- Jack Black helps Redondo Beach family who lost daughter host event to thank Torrances Providence Trinity Kids Care Hospice - The Daily Breeze - October 12th, 2019
- Peace Doves mural created in honor of victims of the Virginia Beach mass shooting - WAVY.com - October 12th, 2019
- Beaches : NYC Parks - June 4th, 2019
- Ripple Price Forecast: XRP vs SWIFT, SEC Updates, and More - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Looking Past the Bithumb Crypto Hack - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: This Week on Bitfinex, Tether, Coinbase, & More - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: XRP Validators, Malta, and Practical Tokens - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Bitcoin ETFs, Andreessen Horowitz, and Contradictions in Crypto - May 25th, 2019