HILTON HEAD ISLAND, SC (WSAV) Two days into sea turtle nesting season and already two nests were found in Georgia beach towns.
According to the Georgia Department of Natural Resources, a nest was found Saturday morning on Little Cumberland Island. Georgia Sea Turtle Cooperative members reported a second nest Sunday on Sea Island.
Hilton Head Island is anxiously waiting for its first nest and wants to make sure these little ones have a good shot at a long life.
We havent had anything major happen except for the Pandemic which the turtles dont care about, said Amber Kuehn of the Hilton Head Sea Turtle Patrol.
Amber Kuehn, head of the Sea Turtle Patrol says that could be good news for our nests. Last year there were only 291 found on the beach, primarily loggerhead turtles. This year Kuehn expects more than 300.
But why is that so important for the area?
Sea turtles are a keystone species, explains Kuehn. They have been on the planet for 80 million years. We dont really know what would happen if they were gone but we do know like a Jenga puzzle, you start taking things out, and eventually, it is going to collapse.
This is why the 16 volunteer members of the Sea Turtle Patrol work so hard to keep the turtles, and their nests of about 120 loggerhead babies, only 5 centimeters at birth, safe.
My goal is to get them from the nest to the water and that is more difficult than you think, says Kuehn. We say 1 in 100 makes it from the nest to their destination because from Hilton Head its a 70-mile swim to the Gulfstream.
Thats compared to Florida, which is only a one day swim for the species, 3-5 miles in all.
They face other dangers as well even when they make it to the water.
Pelicans eat them from above, fish eat them from below.
Volunteers will work hard, but they are counting on the people who use the beach during the day to make sure the turtles can get to the water at night
Holes need to be filled in at the end of the day so they dont fall in and get eaten right away at sunset, or at sunrise, Kuehn explains that filling in those beach holes is part of a recent town ordinance. We need to make sure personal property is off the beach because sea turtles come out of the nest and run into that. They turn around and they dont nest. Hatchings can hit that get distracted and lose their way
Leave the nests undisturbed. Dont touch the eggs in the nest or the turtles when they come out.
Always always stay behind the turtles they need to have a clear path, said Kuehn.
The latest revision to Hilton Heads lighting ordinance for beach properties may add to our annual numbers according to Kuehn.
Instead of only the 2nd floor being considered it is now the 2nd floor and 1st floor, explains Kuehn. We also added interior lights to the ordinance because these new glass beachfront homes, which used to be beach cottages, now there is plenty of light coming out of those homes. Interior is also to be considered.
With the bright light on the porch, it just consumes them, they are mesmerized by it. It makes them go the opposite direction and thats what we dont want to see happen.
As for exterior lights at pools or in yards of those homes.
They have to be downward facing and shielded if they are on after 10pm.
Adding an amber bulb to those lights does not exclude you from using a downard facing light or shield.
If you would like to learn more about the sea turtles, the Turtle Patrol will be holding special talks at Lowcountry Celebration Park every Monday in June, July, and August at 8 pm. Each talk will take about 45 minutes, and everyone is welcome to attend.
Read more here:
- Beaches All-Inclusive Resorts & Caribbean Island Vacations - June 29th, 2022
- One Of The Only Beaches In Colorado Is Hidden Between A Massive Snowy Mountain Range - Narcity Canada - June 29th, 2022
- Nueces County has 7 of top 10 worst beaches for bacteria in Texas, report says - KIIITV.com - June 29th, 2022
- Florida beaches allowed to ban smoking starting July 1 - WFLA - June 29th, 2022
- Juvenile White Sharks at SoCal Beaches Are Chilling' and Not Interested in Humans, Researchers Say - NBC Southern California - June 29th, 2022
- This Oregon Road Trip Takes You From The Waterfalls Of The Columbia River Gorge To The Beaches Of The Oregon Coast - Only In Your State - June 29th, 2022
- 2 men arrested after Newtown Rd shooting in Virginia Beach - WAVY.com - June 29th, 2022
- What Are the Dirtiest Beaches in California? - The New York Times - June 29th, 2022
- Bear in Colorado pops beach ball, leading to 'attack' on woman in tent - USA TODAY - June 29th, 2022
- Truck Beach Was For Locals. Then the Oceanfront Homes Arrived. - The New York Times - June 29th, 2022
- Your Beach Guide: Beaches You Can Get to in and Near Connecticut - NBC Connecticut - May 28th, 2022
- Dr. Beach Announces His Top 10 Best Beaches List For 2022 - TravelAwaits - May 28th, 2022
- Chicago Beaches to Open for 2022 Season Friday, But Swimming Isn't Allowed Due to Dangerous Conditions - NBC Chicago - May 28th, 2022
- Remember this lifeguard-approved rule for safely digging holes at the beach - Boston.com - May 28th, 2022
- 7 secret beaches that are worth the trip to get there - MarketWatch - May 28th, 2022
- Dangers lurking on the beaches - DAWN.com - May 28th, 2022
- Lewes beaches will be guarded this summer - CapeGazette.com - May 28th, 2022
- Headed to a SC beach this weekend? Don't disturb the nesting birds. - Charleston Post Courier - May 28th, 2022
- Beach shuttle, trolley rides in Grand Haven will be free this summer - MLive.com - May 28th, 2022
- Water testing begins at two Lake County beaches - News 5 Cleveland WEWS - May 28th, 2022
- Perfect for a caipirinha and sunset: readers favourite beaches of Portugal - The Guardian - May 28th, 2022
- Barriers at the Beach: State law and town rules keep most of Mass. shoreline off-limits - GBH News - May 28th, 2022
- How did Palm Beach County third-graders fare on Florida reading test? - Palm Beach Post - May 28th, 2022
- Avalon closes beaches and boardwalk at night to control crowds of young people - The Philadelphia Inquirer - July 12th, 2021
- Use This Site to Find the Closest Beaches With the Best Amenities - Lifehacker - July 12th, 2021
- Oceanside searches for ways to keep sand on its eroding beaches - The San Diego Union-Tribune - July 12th, 2021
- NWS: Beachgoers shouldn't go into the water at Pinellas County beaches this weekend - WTSP.com - July 12th, 2021
- East Beach at Mission Creek Lands on Heal the Bays Beach Bummers List for Bacterial Pollution - Noozhawk - July 12th, 2021
- 10 of Spains best beaches for families and hikers - The Guardian - July 12th, 2021
- Where is Battle on the Beach 2021 filmed? Inside sandy HGTV location! - Reality Titbit - Celebrity TV News - July 12th, 2021
- Fairfield, Conn.: A Relaxed Beach Town Where Theres Plenty to Do - The New York Times - July 12th, 2021
- Lewes to consider naming guarded beaches - CapeGazette.com - July 12th, 2021
- Jersey Shore town orders overnight beach, boardwalk closures to stop unruly crowds - NJ.com - July 12th, 2021
- For new generation of Olympians, path was through NCAA beach - Associated Press - July 12th, 2021
- The beach is there for all of us we just have to get there - Los Angeles Times - July 12th, 2021
- Sick after going to the beach? Experts say it could be poop in the water. - Houston Chronicle - July 12th, 2021
- Long Beach woman is beautifying the streets of Skid Row one makeover at a time - KTLA Los Angeles - July 12th, 2021
- These West Oahu Residents Are On A Mission To Clean Up The Island's Beach Parks - Honolulu Civil Beat - July 12th, 2021
- Maryland familys vacation begins with memorable mammal sighting in Surfside Beach - WBTW - July 12th, 2021
- Army hauls 3 billion pounds of sand to Miami-Dade beaches - Miami Today - May 5th, 2021
- Nurtured by pandemic habits, Huntington Beach Central's 'seed library' is sprouting new interest - Los Angeles Times - May 5th, 2021
- Despite some hesitation, Palm Beach County OKs 70-acre transfer of prime land to Scripps for $1 - Palm Beach Post - May 5th, 2021
- Atlantic Beach police official to bikers: 'We don't want them here ... not this year' - Charleston Post Courier - May 5th, 2021
- Hawaii tourist claims angry mom pressured her to leave beach over bikini - Fox News - May 5th, 2021
- Returning Bruce's Beach in California to the Black family who originally owned it - 60 Minutes Plus - CBS News - May 5th, 2021
- Hospitality Jobs at Hilton Sandestin Beach Golf Resort & Spa are "Day at the Beach" Compared to More High-Stress Careers - PRNewswire - May 5th, 2021
- Sheriff: Beach Park man arrested after stepping out of vehicle with gun - Daily Herald - May 5th, 2021
- Tammy Heon Talks Tourism on Hernando Beach - Hernando Sun - May 5th, 2021
- Dreaming of a Virginia Beach getaway? This Town Center district has something for everyone - WSLS 10 - May 5th, 2021
- Mass. destination named one of the best family beach vacations in the U.S., according to Conde Nast Traveler - Boston.com - May 5th, 2021
- Fatal ATV accident at Goldsboro's Busco Beach one of several tragedies at park in recent years - WRAL.com - May 5th, 2021
- $2 Billion Advisor Team Joins UBS in Newport Beach, California - Business Wire - May 5th, 2021
- 7 ways you can have fun in the sun at Virginia Beach - WSLS 10 - May 5th, 2021
- Beaches top dream vacation wish lists for Americans as travel takes off - CNBC - April 5th, 2021
- California's beaches and popular attractions are becoming flooded with crowds again - SF Gate - April 5th, 2021
- Arrests made in Virginia Beach triple shooting that killed one teenager, injured two others - WAVY.com - April 5th, 2021
- KKK Flyers Found in Huntington Beach Week Ahead of `White Lives Matter' Events - NBC Southern California - April 5th, 2021
- Busy weekend expected on local beaches | Local News - Brunswick News - April 5th, 2021
- The Angriest Octopus Lashes at a Tourist on an Australian Beach - The New York Times - April 5th, 2021
- Easter Bunny makes a stop in Rosemary Beach - WMBB - mypanhandle.com - April 5th, 2021
- Over 90 Beach Rescues Over The Weekend - whnt.com - April 5th, 2021
- Schools in Long Beach, Calif., Start Reopening This Week - The New York Times - April 5th, 2021
- Toxin levels still to high to allow razor clam beaches to open - The Daily World - February 6th, 2021
- Strong storms possible throughout the Palm Beaches and Treasure Coast on Saturday - WPBF West Palm Beach - February 6th, 2021
- Not Safe To Eat: Thousands Of Clams Washed Up Onto Revere Beach After Storm - CBS Boston - February 6th, 2021
- Murphy Calls On Feds To Address Severe Beach Erosion In Ocean Co. - Patch.com - February 6th, 2021
- Duluth searches for solution to shredded metal cans found on Park Point beach - Duluth News Tribune - February 6th, 2021
- Man dies following Friday shooting near Indian River Rd in Virginia Beach; One person arrested - 13newsnow.com WVEC - February 6th, 2021
- Three Mastic Beach businesses honored for servicing the community for 50 years or more - GreaterMoriches - February 6th, 2021
- Developers of Miami Beach Convention Center Hotel Want to Reduce Height and Massing, Eliminate Parking - RE:MiamiBeach - February 6th, 2021
- City of West Palm Beach delivering update on water main break that prompted boil water notice - WPBF West Palm Beach - February 6th, 2021
- Mother of 'Little Jacob,' boy found dead on Galveston beach in 2017, sentenced to life in prison - KHOU.com - February 6th, 2021
- Whale That Washed Up on Florida Beach Turns Out to Be an Entirely New Species - ScienceAlert - February 6th, 2021
- L.A. County beaches reopen after threat of lightning passes - KTLA Los Angeles - January 30th, 2021
- La Jolla Parks & Beaches forms working group to address impacts of reservoir project - La Jolla Light - January 30th, 2021
- Rhinos, Rodeo, fair, Mutt derby, and exploration of the Palm Beaches' hidden spaces - WPTV.com - January 30th, 2021
- Palm Beach, Indian River Counties not taking part in statewide vaccine registration - WPTV.com - January 30th, 2021
- Port of Palm Beach implements training to prevent human trafficking - Security Magazine - January 30th, 2021
- Pipe Freeze Warning Issued Amid Power Outage In Ortley Beach - Patch.com - January 30th, 2021
- Virginia Beach church latest target in string of catalytic converter larcenies around city - WAVY.com - January 30th, 2021