VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) Two Pittsburgh men are hoping to heal the Virginia Beach community through art.
They are creating a vision that will answer the violence that hit the area on May 31. The mural will honor those whose lives were taken at the Virginia Beach Municipal Center.
The mural is called Peace Doves.
Its hard to see a silver lining in such a tragedy, said artist John Muldoon.
Its also hard to put into words the impact of the mass shooting in Virginia Beach, which is why Muldoon and fellow artist Sean Coffey are putting it onto a wall in the Rudee Loop in Virginia Beach.
Coffey said, Try to help them heal a little.
The artists designed the Peace Doves mural last spring, hoping to paint it on the outer wall of the Rudee Loop, but their design was not chosen by the City of Virginia Beach. However, when they heard about the shooting, they offered to paint it anywhere in the city for free.
It seemed a little bit like this was meant to be, Muldoon said.
The mural will have 12 origami doves.
The peace doves just being, you know, almost a worldwide sign of peace, Coffey said.
The doves are also a tribute to the 12 people killed in the shooting.
The mural will also have the shadow of hummingbirds, which are known for their resilience.
Muldoon said, We think this community has strength and we wanted it, we wanted it to carry on, we want it to keep going.
These Pittsburgh residents know something about carrying on. Their community was also impacted by a mass shooting nearly one year ago.
Its hard for everybody to find a balance again at the end of it, so were hoping this balance of color and light and peaceful thoughts can help everybody come to peace with the things that have happened, Coffey said.
They hope their art speaks for them: a message of peace and strength.
Coffee and Muldoon will spend about 30 hours on this mural. They hope to have it finished by Saturday night.
Go here to read the rest:
- Some NJ beaches are extending the summer season. Here's the list - Asbury Park Press - August 31st, 2020
- Delaware beach guide: What you need to know for your late August trip - The News Journal - August 31st, 2020
- Swimming Is One Thing in The Pandemic. The Crowd at The Beach Is Something Else - ScienceAlert - August 31st, 2020
- Manti Te'o introduces fans to the real 'Mrs. Te'o' after beach wedding - New York Post - August 31st, 2020
- Swimming advisory issued for Shell Point Beach due to high levels of bacteria - WTXL ABC 27 - August 31st, 2020
- Marthas Vineyard beach named the best on the East Coast, beating out Florida, Jersey Shore - MassLive.com - August 31st, 2020
- Nearly 2 dozen vehicles found with slashed tires in Eaglewood area of Virginia Beach - WAVY.com - August 31st, 2020
- Locals rediscover streets and beaches in resorts absent of foreign tourists - The Guardian - August 31st, 2020
- Man shot and killed on 405 Freeway in Seal Beach - Los Angeles Times - August 31st, 2020
- Here are eight traffic initiatives planned for Pensacola Beach this off season - Pensacola News Journal - August 31st, 2020
- Bethel Park's Psotka taking Division I volleyball talents to the beach | Trib HSSN - TribLIVE - August 31st, 2020
- Beach Road Reconstruction Work Set to Begin Sept. 8 - The Vineyard Gazette - Martha's Vineyard News - August 31st, 2020
- In Flagler Beach, A Pitched Battle Over Taxes Is Dividing Commissioners as Administration Draws Fire - FlaglerLive.com - August 31st, 2020
- Red the Steakhouse Moves to a New South Beach Location - Miami New Times - August 31st, 2020
- Police Arrest 5 at Kahalu'u Beach Park For Violation of COVID-19 Protocol - Big Island Now - August 31st, 2020
- Cape Cod towns restrict beaches to only residents, close parking lots amid coronavirus - Boston Herald - August 11th, 2020
- New Coral Reef Information Signs Installed at 39 Maui Beaches - Maui Now - August 11th, 2020
- Restricting Beach Access to Residents Only - The New York Times - August 11th, 2020
- Petition Created to Keep Framingham Beaches Open Beyond August 9 - framinghamsource.com - August 11th, 2020
- HPD issues hundreds of citations on first day of beach closure - KHON2 - August 11th, 2020
- First Sea Turtles Of The Year Hatch On Pensacola Beach - NorthEscambia.com - August 11th, 2020
- Puerto Peasco bets on heavy restrictions in bid to reactivate tourist economy - AZCentral - August 11th, 2020
- Thousands of Palestinians enter Israel, head to beaches; soldiers turn blind eye - The Times of Israel - August 11th, 2020
- Spectacle Island is open, boasting unobstructed views and quiet beaches - The Boston Globe - August 11th, 2020
- Algae bloom at Virginia Beach Oceanfront resulting in foul smell and discolored water - WAVY.com - August 11th, 2020
- More Cape towns imposing tougher restrictions to limit beach crowds - Boston.com - August 11th, 2020
- Several Cape Cod beaches temporarily closed following great white shark sightings - The Boston Globe - August 11th, 2020
- 10 of the best beach and coast activities around the UK - The Guardian - August 11th, 2020
- Travel/Beach Restrictions: Heres what you need to know for RI, Mass. - WWLP.com - August 11th, 2020
- Delaware beach guide: What you need to know for your Aug. 7-9 weekend beach trip - The News Journal - August 10th, 2020
- Shark sightings in Wellfleet and Truro temporarily close beaches - The Boston Globe - August 10th, 2020
- Frigid waters to return to some area beaches - WOODTV.com - August 10th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Long Beach Mayor Garcias stepfather dies, 2 weeks after leaders mother passed away - Long Beach Press Telegram - August 10th, 2020
- The 10 Best Beaches on the French Riviera - Fodor's Travel - August 10th, 2020
- A postcard from the pandemic: no day at the beach - The Boston Globe - August 10th, 2020
- Town of Hempstead Red-Flags Long Island Beaches After Fishermen Catch 4 Sharks - NBC New York - August 10th, 2020
- Israel turns a blind eye, and Palestinians revel in a weekend at Jaffa beach - Haaretz - August 10th, 2020
- Jellyfish wash up on beaches of Yucatn The Yucatan Times - The Yucatan Times - August 10th, 2020
- Could Pacific Beach's beloved mosaics soon leave the neighborhood? - pacificsandiego.com - August 10th, 2020
- Thousands of Palestinians revel in a weekend of freedom at Israeli beaches - Haaretz - August 10th, 2020
- Woman hospitalized with life-threatening injury after shooting near The Beaches - FirstCoastNews.com WTLV-WJXX - August 10th, 2020
- Shops closed, beaches deserted as Isaias nears the Carolinas - Fox 59 - August 10th, 2020
- Lani Kai resort hit with two lawsuits in wake of July 15 shooting death - News-Press - August 10th, 2020
- South Padre Island extends emergency order regarding beach operations - KGBT-TV - August 10th, 2020
- The Interisland Travel Quarantine Is Coming Back, Oahu Beaches And - Honolulu Civil Beat - August 10th, 2020
- Town of Hempstead Red-Flags Long Island Beaches After Fishermen Catch Shark - NBC New York - August 9th, 2020
- Letters to the Editor: Work on solutions for safely accessing beaches in age of COVID-19 - Charleston Post Courier - August 9th, 2020
- Oahu beaches, parks and team sports will be halted once more - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - August 9th, 2020
- Whats That Building? The Modernist Bathhouses At Illinois Beach State Park - WBEZ - August 9th, 2020
- Fractured Lake Worth Beach commission wont consider talking to FPL about city utility - Palm Beach Post - August 9th, 2020
- Beaches Open At The Lake Of The Ozarks - krmsradio.com - August 8th, 2020
- Recreationists react to closures of city and state parks, beaches and campgrounds - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - August 8th, 2020
- At least 151 migrants land on Kent beaches - BBC News - August 8th, 2020
- Crouch: Recent southern counties outbreak linked to Myrtle Beach - West Virginia MetroNews - August 8th, 2020
- Does This Video Show an Octopus Walking on the Beach? - Snopes.com - August 8th, 2020
- At least 26 migrants land on Kent beaches - BBC News - August 8th, 2020
- Galveston must keep its word on sudden beach closures - Galveston County Daily News - August 8th, 2020
- 10 of the UK's best seaside cafes and beach shacks - The Guardian - August 8th, 2020
- 17-year-old girl airlifted with life-threatening injuries following crash on North Landing Bridge in Virginia Beach - WAVY.com - August 8th, 2020
- Great White Sharks may be closer to the NJ beaches than you think - New Jersey 101.5 FM Radio - August 6th, 2020
- We have a beautiful beach: Myrtle Beach officials remind vacationers of beach rules - ABC27 - August 6th, 2020
- A Trip To Virginia Beach Showed Why We Arent Beating This Virus - Forbes - August 6th, 2020
- Travel/Beach Restrictions: Heres what you need to know for RI, Mass. - WPRI.com - August 6th, 2020
- Isaias destroys outdoor venue at Long Beach Islands Surflight Theatre - WHYY - August 6th, 2020
- Boss Of The Beach TV Series Based On New York Magazine Article In Works By Darren Aronofsky & Searchlight TV - Deadline - August 6th, 2020
- A day in the life of the newly opened SF Bay trail at Albany Beach - Berkeleyside - August 6th, 2020
- Jersey Shore businesses dealt devastating blow as power wiped out on all of LBI - NJ.com - August 6th, 2020
- All of Long Beach Island Remains Without Power - TAPinto.net - August 6th, 2020
- Alki Beach and Don Armeni Boat Launch to be closed at night Thursdays through Sundays - Westside Seattle - August 6th, 2020
- Water restrictions removed at all state beaches other than Reid - NewsCenterMaine.com WCSH-WLBZ - August 3rd, 2020
- The best beaches in America are in Florida, according to Trip Advisor - I Love the Burg - August 3rd, 2020
- These 2 New England beaches just ranked among the best in the U.S. - Boston.com - August 3rd, 2020
- This Cape Cod beach was the only one in Massachusetts to land within Trip Advisors top 25 in US - MassLive.com - August 3rd, 2020
- Travel/Beach Restrictions: Heres what you need to know in RI, Mass. - WPRI.com - August 3rd, 2020
- Pensacola Beach-goers kept their eyes on the sky - WKRG News 5 - August 3rd, 2020
- Beach battle: Reduced access increases tension between tourists and Seacoast communities - Seacoastonline.com - August 3rd, 2020
- Social butterfly Vera Pavelec, one of four pals testing positive after Huntington Beach party, dies of COVID - OCRegister - August 3rd, 2020
- Beach Boys holding on to Connecticut concert date - MassLive.com - August 3rd, 2020
- Maine beach named one of the best in the country - WMTW Portland - August 3rd, 2020
- Isaias expected to bring big surf to area beaches - WPRI.com - August 3rd, 2020