April Ross was 24 years old when she first started playing beach volleyball, the sport that would eventually send her to four Olympics.
At that age, Sarah Sponcil is already headed to the Summer Games.
Sponcil and her 25-year-old partner, Kelly Claes, are the first generation to come up through an NCAA beach volleyball program that didnt exist until 2012 long after Ross graduated from Southern California. They are the youngest U.S. beach team ever to qualify for the Olympics.
This kind of shows what having college beach volleyball can do, Claes said in a recent interview as she prepared for the Tokyo Olympics. Theres just so many more opportunities for women to play. I think its incredible, and I think the sport is only going to get better and better in the States.
And just in time.
One of two traditional powers in beach volleyball, joining with Brazil to win 20 of the first 30 medals after the sport joined the Olympic program in 1996, the United States has been losing ground of late. Europeans claimed four of the six mens podium spots in London and Rio de Janeiro; Germans Laura Ludwig and Kira Walkenhorst won gold in 2016.
Where the U.S. has been competitive, it is skewing old: Ross, now 39, and Kerri Walsh Jennings, now 42, were the only U.S. team to medal in Rio the Americans worst haul since 2000. Tokyo will be the fourth Summer Games for both Jake Gibb, who at 45 is the oldest Olympic volleyball player (beach or indoor) ever, and Phil Dalhausser, who is 41.
Walsh Jennings, who won three gold medals with Misty May-Treanor, will miss the Olympics for the first time since 1996 after being edged out by Claes and Sponcil in the second-to-last week of qualifying. (Ross is teamed with 31-year-old Alix Klineman.)
For a long time, the U.S. was Kerri and Misty. All the other countries caught up and passed us, Claes said. This is the U.S.s big push to get back on top, and I think its our time to lead the charge in this new era.
Invented in the Roaring 20s at a Parisian nudist colony and popularized on coastlines from California to Copacabana, beach volleyball first joined the Olympic program in Atlanta. Early stars like Karch Kiraly and Walsh Jennings tended to be transplants from the indoor game.
That changed in 2012, when the NCAA added beach volleyball as an emerging sport for women, encouraging schools to field varsity teams; three years later, it was granted full championship status. There are now 64 Division I teams recognized by the NCAA, many of them in traditional spots like California and Florida but others spread along the Gulf Coast and some in landlocked volleyball hotbeds like Nebraska.
With college as an option and, as importantly, receiving a scholarship to play athletes are no longer just migrating to the beach after their indoor careers are over.
And it shows.
You can just see their style of play is a lot different than some of us who have been around for a lot longer, Ross said. Theyve really pushed the sport to a higher level and its just going to keep becoming tougher and tougher to play.
Claes, who grew up playing beach volleyball, won back-to-back NCAA titles at USC. Sponcil began indoors at Loyola Marymount before transferring to the beach team at UCLA, where she also earned two titles.
Tina Graudia, who was a member of the Trojans 2021 championship team, will compete in Tokyo for Latvia.
We all saw it coming, said Dain Blanton, who won the beach gold medal in Sydney and now coaches the USC team. When this movement took place, 2012, to get collegiate beach volleyball started on the womens side, you just knew it was going to be this grassroots movement to produce all this talent.
Blanton, who grew up less than 2 miles from the Pacific Ocean in Laguna Beach, California, knew the beach was in his future. But indoor was his only opportunity for a college scholarship; he was an All-American at Pepperdine, where he led the Waves to the 1992 NCAA title. (There is still no NCAA beach volleyball program for men.)
Although the sports overlap on equipment and some rules, the six-person indoor version relies more on power and leaping than the two-person beach game. Starting earlier on the sand, Blanton said, has given players like Claes and Sponcil a head start on the techniques and strategy specific to their discipline.
They also have earlier access to coaching and training they need.
A lot of beach players, you roll the balls out and do your thing. Whereas now, in college, you have this basis of training you learn how to practice, travel, he said. It translates, and you can learn the game quickly.
For Claes and Sponcil, that meant hitting the Olympic qualifying tour with experience from already playing in big tournaments in their teens and 20s. Sponcil said she watched a recent NCAA beach championship and it was amazing to see how the sport has grown.
Theres so many great athletes coming out of college these days, she said.
And she is among them.
Its crazy, because we just have so many years in front of us, she said. To be so young, were going to have so much experience under our belts. And its going to help us down the road.
Read this article:
- Avalon closes beaches and boardwalk at night to control crowds of young people - The Philadelphia Inquirer - July 12th, 2021
- Use This Site to Find the Closest Beaches With the Best Amenities - Lifehacker - July 12th, 2021
- Oceanside searches for ways to keep sand on its eroding beaches - The San Diego Union-Tribune - July 12th, 2021
- NWS: Beachgoers shouldn't go into the water at Pinellas County beaches this weekend - WTSP.com - July 12th, 2021
- East Beach at Mission Creek Lands on Heal the Bays Beach Bummers List for Bacterial Pollution - Noozhawk - July 12th, 2021
- 10 of Spains best beaches for families and hikers - The Guardian - July 12th, 2021
- Where is Battle on the Beach 2021 filmed? Inside sandy HGTV location! - Reality Titbit - Celebrity TV News - July 12th, 2021
- Fairfield, Conn.: A Relaxed Beach Town Where Theres Plenty to Do - The New York Times - July 12th, 2021
- Lewes to consider naming guarded beaches - CapeGazette.com - July 12th, 2021
- Jersey Shore town orders overnight beach, boardwalk closures to stop unruly crowds - NJ.com - July 12th, 2021
- The beach is there for all of us we just have to get there - Los Angeles Times - July 12th, 2021
- Sick after going to the beach? Experts say it could be poop in the water. - Houston Chronicle - July 12th, 2021
- Long Beach woman is beautifying the streets of Skid Row one makeover at a time - KTLA Los Angeles - July 12th, 2021
- These West Oahu Residents Are On A Mission To Clean Up The Island's Beach Parks - Honolulu Civil Beat - July 12th, 2021
- Maryland familys vacation begins with memorable mammal sighting in Surfside Beach - WBTW - July 12th, 2021
- Army hauls 3 billion pounds of sand to Miami-Dade beaches - Miami Today - May 5th, 2021
- Sea turtle nesting season has started on Hilton Head beaches, do you know the rules? - WSAV-TV - May 5th, 2021
- Nurtured by pandemic habits, Huntington Beach Central's 'seed library' is sprouting new interest - Los Angeles Times - May 5th, 2021
- Despite some hesitation, Palm Beach County OKs 70-acre transfer of prime land to Scripps for $1 - Palm Beach Post - May 5th, 2021
- Atlantic Beach police official to bikers: 'We don't want them here ... not this year' - Charleston Post Courier - May 5th, 2021
- Hawaii tourist claims angry mom pressured her to leave beach over bikini - Fox News - May 5th, 2021
- Returning Bruce's Beach in California to the Black family who originally owned it - 60 Minutes Plus - CBS News - May 5th, 2021
- Hospitality Jobs at Hilton Sandestin Beach Golf Resort & Spa are "Day at the Beach" Compared to More High-Stress Careers - PRNewswire - May 5th, 2021
- Sheriff: Beach Park man arrested after stepping out of vehicle with gun - Daily Herald - May 5th, 2021
- Tammy Heon Talks Tourism on Hernando Beach - Hernando Sun - May 5th, 2021
- Dreaming of a Virginia Beach getaway? This Town Center district has something for everyone - WSLS 10 - May 5th, 2021
- Mass. destination named one of the best family beach vacations in the U.S., according to Conde Nast Traveler - Boston.com - May 5th, 2021
- Fatal ATV accident at Goldsboro's Busco Beach one of several tragedies at park in recent years - WRAL.com - May 5th, 2021
- $2 Billion Advisor Team Joins UBS in Newport Beach, California - Business Wire - May 5th, 2021
- 7 ways you can have fun in the sun at Virginia Beach - WSLS 10 - May 5th, 2021
- Beaches top dream vacation wish lists for Americans as travel takes off - CNBC - April 5th, 2021
- California's beaches and popular attractions are becoming flooded with crowds again - SF Gate - April 5th, 2021
- Arrests made in Virginia Beach triple shooting that killed one teenager, injured two others - WAVY.com - April 5th, 2021
- KKK Flyers Found in Huntington Beach Week Ahead of `White Lives Matter' Events - NBC Southern California - April 5th, 2021
- Busy weekend expected on local beaches | Local News - Brunswick News - April 5th, 2021
- The Angriest Octopus Lashes at a Tourist on an Australian Beach - The New York Times - April 5th, 2021
- Easter Bunny makes a stop in Rosemary Beach - WMBB - mypanhandle.com - April 5th, 2021
- Over 90 Beach Rescues Over The Weekend - whnt.com - April 5th, 2021
- Schools in Long Beach, Calif., Start Reopening This Week - The New York Times - April 5th, 2021
- Toxin levels still to high to allow razor clam beaches to open - The Daily World - February 6th, 2021
- Strong storms possible throughout the Palm Beaches and Treasure Coast on Saturday - WPBF West Palm Beach - February 6th, 2021
- Not Safe To Eat: Thousands Of Clams Washed Up Onto Revere Beach After Storm - CBS Boston - February 6th, 2021
- Murphy Calls On Feds To Address Severe Beach Erosion In Ocean Co. - Patch.com - February 6th, 2021
- Duluth searches for solution to shredded metal cans found on Park Point beach - Duluth News Tribune - February 6th, 2021
- Man dies following Friday shooting near Indian River Rd in Virginia Beach; One person arrested - 13newsnow.com WVEC - February 6th, 2021
- Three Mastic Beach businesses honored for servicing the community for 50 years or more - GreaterMoriches - February 6th, 2021
- Developers of Miami Beach Convention Center Hotel Want to Reduce Height and Massing, Eliminate Parking - RE:MiamiBeach - February 6th, 2021
- City of West Palm Beach delivering update on water main break that prompted boil water notice - WPBF West Palm Beach - February 6th, 2021
- Mother of 'Little Jacob,' boy found dead on Galveston beach in 2017, sentenced to life in prison - KHOU.com - February 6th, 2021
- Whale That Washed Up on Florida Beach Turns Out to Be an Entirely New Species - ScienceAlert - February 6th, 2021
- L.A. County beaches reopen after threat of lightning passes - KTLA Los Angeles - January 30th, 2021
- La Jolla Parks & Beaches forms working group to address impacts of reservoir project - La Jolla Light - January 30th, 2021
- Rhinos, Rodeo, fair, Mutt derby, and exploration of the Palm Beaches' hidden spaces - WPTV.com - January 30th, 2021
- Palm Beach, Indian River Counties not taking part in statewide vaccine registration - WPTV.com - January 30th, 2021
- Port of Palm Beach implements training to prevent human trafficking - Security Magazine - January 30th, 2021
- Pipe Freeze Warning Issued Amid Power Outage In Ortley Beach - Patch.com - January 30th, 2021
- Virginia Beach church latest target in string of catalytic converter larcenies around city - WAVY.com - January 30th, 2021
- City of Hope Newport Beach celebrates one-year anniversary - Los Angeles Times - January 30th, 2021
- New Myrtle Beach breakfast spot highlights new business openings in the area - Charleston Post Courier - January 30th, 2021
- The Trump Plaza condo board in West Palm Beach voted unanimously to dump the Trump name - Business Insider - Business Insider - January 30th, 2021
- Two Flagler Beach Residents Arrested After Refusing to Comply With Mask Mandate at Commission Meeting - FlaglerLive.com - January 30th, 2021
- Winter visitors: Seals popping up on beaches along the Outer Banks - OBXToday.com - January 9th, 2021
- LEADING OFF: What's happening in and around the Beaches - The Florida Times-Union - January 9th, 2021
- Dangerous waves to slam San Diego beaches this weekend - The San Diego Union-Tribune - January 9th, 2021
- In Nags Head, questions over beach nourishment funding - The Outer Banks Voice - January 9th, 2021
- Myrtle Beach welcomes new attractions, events and more in 2021 - Attractions Magazine - January 9th, 2021
- 4 men arrested in connection with shooting death of 14-year-old Long Beach boy; firearms seized - KTLA - January 9th, 2021
- Beach erosion is Zoom meeting topic - The Garden Island - January 9th, 2021
- Around Town: Speak Up Newport Beach to host webinar on regional housing needs allocation numbers - Los Angeles Times - January 9th, 2021
- Stardew Valley: Everything You Need To Know About Beach Farming - GameRant - January 9th, 2021
- Shes A Miracle: Beloved Long Beach ICU Nurse Recounts Her Fight With COVID-19 - CBS Los Angeles - January 9th, 2021
- Young killer whale rescued after stranding on Scottish beach - Livescience.com - January 9th, 2021
- Long Beach firefighters are now getting the vaccine; what happens if they decline? - Long Beach Post - January 9th, 2021
- Virginia Beach Public Utilities offices will relocate to the Lynnhaven Area - WAVY.com - January 9th, 2021
- On the Montauk Beach - East Hampton Star - December 31st, 2020
- Coast Guard searches for missing boat with 20 people aboard headed to Palm Beach County from Bahamas - WPTV.com - December 31st, 2020
- 2 New Years Eve events in Myrtle Beach area approved by state, 1 major event rejected - WBTW - December 31st, 2020
- North Beach Volunteer Fire Department Receives 1947 Apparatus Back After Barn Find in North Carolina | Southern Maryland News Net - Southern Maryland... - December 31st, 2020
- Virginia Beach needs help identifying locations of people living unsheltered to help with annual homeless population count - WAVY.com - December 31st, 2020
- Supreme Shot Under The Manhattan Beach Pier: Photo Of The Day - Patch.com - December 31st, 2020