MINEOLA, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) The number of coronavirus cases continues to grow on Long Island as families strive to keep life as normal as possible.
Were just trying to come up with something to keep these kids busy, said Massapequa resident Jacqueline Martin.
Playing tag and catch on a ball field was not the first choice for some of these kids and parents, reports CBS2s Dave Carlin.
The Martin family planned on being inside the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum, but the Jurassic World Live Tour was canceled because of coronavirus concerns.
We assumed it would happen, we knew it was coming but we were looking forward to it, said Martin.
In Nassau County, the number has grown by 20 overnight, bringing the total of confirmed cases to 70, with more tests being processed. Ten are hospitalized, with three in critical condition including a 57-year-old and a 76-year-old.
Nassau County Executive Laura Curran said Saturday she expects the number of confirmed cases to continue to grow.
Nassau County has a hotline up and running (516) 227-9570 and is operational seven days a week during business hours.
Curran noted that Friday New Rochelle had launched the states first drive-thru testing facility, and she was looking forward to replicating that. On Saturday, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said that Jones Beach was being looked at as a possible drive-thru testing site.
I am confident that drive-thru testing is not too far in our future, Curran said.
Curran added that officials are in discussions with hospitals about possibly setting up tents for testing.
Curran said that as more testing is deployed, the number of positive cases will grow. Curran reminded people it is also allergy season.
Officials continued to reiterate the importance of people staying home if theyre sick.
Youve got to stay home if youre symptomatic. Youve got to call your health care provider, she said.
Officials said people under mandatory quarantine are checked on to make sure they are physically staying put. They could be confined if they are found to be violating it, officials said, adding that no one under mandatory quarantine has yet violated it.
We can not stress this enough: If you are in quarantine, you must stay in quarantine, Curran said. Containment is the key to preventing this from spreading.
Nassau County officials say theyve delivered a lot of food to people under quarantine.
Curran said officials are seeing a concerning increase in incidents of bullying, particularly on social media, of children who are in quarantine.
I think we all need to not stigmatize, blame, Curran said. Nip it in the bud were all in this together and if we start attacking each other, this is not a good thing.
Curran said the protocol as regarding schools remains to close it for 24 hours if a positive case is found.
The CDC has a mass pandemic plan. And closing schools is one of the very last measures. Science has shown us what measures work in preventing the spread of diseases and what has not. And closing schools in a pandemic has actually been scientifically proven to be one of the least valuable things because now students are home. And somebodys got watch them. If a parent has to go to work, maybe now theyre with a grandparent that they could be exposing that they would not be, Nassau County Health Commissioner Lawrence Eisenstein said Friday. We may get to that point, but there is a scientific reason for the decisions that we make.
- Beaches are back: Orange Beach hosts hundreds of beachgoers on day one of reopen - FOX10 News - May 3rd, 2020
- Old Lyme Beaches to Close Indefinitely Starting This Weekend - NBC Connecticut - May 3rd, 2020
- Coronavirus live updates: Officials urge social distancing at beaches; over 65K have died in US - USA TODAY - May 3rd, 2020
- San Diego Officials: First beach weekend in 6 weeks will serve as a test - CBS News 8 - May 3rd, 2020
- Tampa begins to open its parks, beaches - Tampa Bay Times - May 3rd, 2020
- First full day of Gulf Shores beaches re-open - FOX10 News - May 3rd, 2020
- Hundreds of deputies will be making sure people on Pinellas County beaches are social distancing - ABC Action News - May 3rd, 2020
- Indian River County beaches open for exercise, and there's hope picnics could return soon - TCPalm - May 3rd, 2020
- Fort Myers Beach reopens to the public - Fox 4 - May 3rd, 2020
- Ventnor beaches to reopen May 8, Boardwalk to remain closed - Press of Atlantic City - May 3rd, 2020
- Amid coronavirus, Californians have a right to beaches - Los Angeles Times - May 3rd, 2020
- 11 Stunning Photos of Zanzibar's Beaches and Architecture - Cond Nast Traveler - May 3rd, 2020
- Whats open outdoors? Parks, trails and beaches to visit during shelter in place - San Francisco Chronicle - May 3rd, 2020
- Newport Beach Officials Release Photos Disputing That Their Beaches Were Overcrowded - CBS Los Angeles - May 3rd, 2020
- Deserted Thai Beaches Lure Rare Turtles to Build Most Nests in 20 Years - EcoWatch - May 3rd, 2020
- Maine's most popular parks and beaches to remain closed - Press Herald - May 3rd, 2020
- Marshfield and Duxbury look to shore up beaches with beach nourishment plan - The Patriot Ledger - May 3rd, 2020
- Coronavirus live updates: Outdoor access on the rise, virus rates vary between neighborhoods - USA TODAY - May 3rd, 2020
- City parks and state beaches re-open for exercise only - KHON2 - April 26th, 2020
- San Clemente beaches to reopen for residents this weekend - Los Angeles Times - April 26th, 2020
- Beaches are closed, but beach reads are still on the way - The Spokesman-Review - April 26th, 2020
- Florida lawyer to wear Grim Reaper costume to stop people visiting beaches - The-Latest News - April 26th, 2020
- Coronavirus has many beaches closed, but beach reads are still coming this summer - USA TODAY - April 26th, 2020
- What's open and closed this weekend: Beaches, parks and trails in Southern California - Los Angeles Times - April 26th, 2020
- Coronavirus: City of Ventura to allow limited access to closed beaches, parks, pier - VC Star - April 26th, 2020
- Will IRCSO patrol county beaches when they re-open Tuesday? 'Absolutely,' sheriff says - TCPalm - April 26th, 2020
- COVID-19: Satellite Beach, Cocoa Beach reopen beaches to sunbathers, groups of 5 or less - Florida Today - April 26th, 2020
- Heat wave has people even more anxious to hit the beach - CBS News 8 - April 26th, 2020
- When Pinellas County reopens its beaches and businesses, officials want to move slowly - Tampa Bay Times - April 26th, 2020
- Oak Island opening beaches Friday, with restrictions - WWAY NewsChannel 3 - April 26th, 2020
- After two-week closure, three Brunswick beaches reopen; Kure and Carolina still closed [Free read] - Port City Daily - April 26th, 2020
- Here is Galveston's plan to open its restaurants and beaches - KHOU.com - April 26th, 2020
- Visitors flock to the beach as South Padre Island reopens - KGBT-TV - April 26th, 2020
- Surfers, Swimmers, Beach-Lovers Want Answers: When Will We Get Back in the Water, and on the Sand? - NBC 7 San Diego - April 26th, 2020
- Edisto Beach and Kiawah respond to opening of public beaches - WCBD News 2 - April 26th, 2020
- Open and closed trails, parks, beaches in California - Los Angeles Times - April 7th, 2020
- 4 more Jersey Shore towns closing their beaches, boardwalks, halting rentals due to coronavirus - NJ.com - April 7th, 2020
- Marco Island approves opening entrance, exit beach access points - Wink News - April 7th, 2020
- Closing the beaches: Who actually has the authority to do it? - Port City Daily - April 7th, 2020
- No rentals, beaches, boardwalks at these Jersey Shore towns - New Jersey 101.5 FM Radio - April 7th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Beaches will remain closed, according to Jacksonville mayor - The Florida Times-Union - April 7th, 2020
- Police chief: The Seaside beach is closed to everyone, and that includes you - KPTV.com - April 7th, 2020
- Mass. state coastal beaches remain open but dont plan on getting a tan. Heres what to know. - Boston.com - April 7th, 2020
- L.A. Times: Scientists Concerned over Potential COVID-19 Exposure from Beach Walks and Swimming - North Coast Journal - April 7th, 2020
- Local beaches: What's open and what's closed - 10News - April 7th, 2020
- Coronavirus At The Beach? In The Surf? In The Breeze? It's Complicated - CBS San Francisco - April 7th, 2020
- Governments talk about how to reopen the beaches - Fernandina Beach News-Leader - April 7th, 2020
- 3 more Ocean County beaches closing this week as coronavirus cases mount - NJ.com - April 7th, 2020
- Local beaches were packed as COVID-19 scare sends folks outside - News965 - March 16th, 2020
- Event cancellations in the Bay Area lead many to busy beaches - FOX 13 Tampa Bay - March 16th, 2020
- People flock to beaches as other places across Tampa Bay shut down - WTSP.com - March 16th, 2020
- Drive-through coronavirus testing starts Monday in West Palm Beach - WPTV.com - March 16th, 2020
- Boris Johnson's hero is the mayor who kept the beaches open in Jaws. That's fine by me - The Guardian - March 16th, 2020
- 2 men shot in North Long Beach, police investigating it as gang-related - Long Beach Post - March 16th, 2020
- Watch The Late Layne Staley Performing With TOOL On A Beach In Oahu, 1993 - Metal Injection.net - March 16th, 2020
- Man flew to Palm Beach after positive coronavirus test: reports | TheHill - The Hill - March 16th, 2020
- Clearwater Has Much More To Offer Than Just World-Class Beaches - Forbes - February 26th, 2020
- City votes to put $10,000 toward sexual assault prevention at Beaches ahead of spring break - FirstCoastNews.com WTLV-WJXX - February 26th, 2020
- Construction begins for Acura Grand Prix of Long Beach - Long Beach Press Telegram - February 26th, 2020
- UCLA takes first Pac-12 Beach Volleyball Pair of the Week honor - Pac-12.com - February 26th, 2020
- The Winter Surfers of Rockaway Beach - The New York Times - February 26th, 2020
- Denby Fawcett: Clearing The Homeless Out Of Kuhio Beach Pavilions - Honolulu Civil Beat - February 26th, 2020
- Beach Haus Brewery: The Place to Be for Unbeatable Views of the St. Patrick's Day Parade - TAPinto.net - February 26th, 2020
- Massive desalination buoy washes up on Hobe Sound beach - WPTV.com - February 26th, 2020
- Cal State Long Beach Continues Reversing The Number Of College Dropouts - Patch.com - February 26th, 2020
- Miami Beach Chefs to be Honored At City Hall Ceremony - Miami New Times - February 26th, 2020
- Ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach Plan to collaborate on cargo operations - Logistics Management - February 26th, 2020
- Relics washed up on beaches reveal lost world beneath the North Sea - Science Magazine - January 30th, 2020
- Beach chairs, blankets and trash. Massive mess left after Trump's Wildwood rally. - NJ.com - January 30th, 2020
- Miami Beach Hires Hunting Service to Kill City's Invasive Iguanas - Miami New Times - January 30th, 2020
- Helicopter Crash Victim Alyssa Altobelli to Be Honored at Newport Beach Vigil - NBC Southern California - January 30th, 2020
- The Preservation Foundation of Palm Beach Celebrates 40 Years - Palm Beach - January 30th, 2020
- This Weekend's Long Beach Island Area Entertainment Lineup for January 30 through February 2, Presented by the Tide Table Group - TAPinto.net - January 30th, 2020
- Where to retire on the beach for $95,000 a year - msnNOW - January 30th, 2020
- 7 victims of Kobe Bryant crash lived in Newport Beach - Los Angeles Times - January 30th, 2020
- One Paycheck Away: Families struggle to survive in Palm Beach County - WPTV.com - January 30th, 2020
- Wrightsville Beach and the Dread God of Fire - StarNewsOnline.com - January 30th, 2020
- Sandy Point Beach House restaurant coming to Grand Rapids - mlive.com - January 30th, 2020
- Fortnite Frozen Firework Locations: Where To Light Frozen Fireworks Found On Beaches - Forbes - January 2nd, 2020
- Australia: Thousands trapped on beach as fires approach - DW (English) - January 2nd, 2020