Clearwater Beach has consistently been ranked the #1 beach in the United States - though the city ... [+] has far more to offer than just its shoreline.
Its no secret that Clearwater is home to some of the nations most picturesque beaches - the soft white sand shore was ranked as the best beach in the nation by the 2019 TripAdvisor Travelers Choice Awards. While the citys natural features are common knowledge, few are aware of the many other gems waiting to be discovered by unsuspecting visitors. Namely, spectacular fresh seafood, outdoor adventure opportunities, and pristine undeveloped islands can all be found in and around Clearwater.
Given the citys reputation, its easy to understand how the shore came to be lined with such luxurious resorts and restaurants. For those in search of a truly opulent experience, Opal Sands Resort stands out as one of the beachs best. Consider a stay in the plush Premium Suite, an immense room complete with full kitchen, king sized bed, and sweeping balcony overlooking the picturesque shore below. Those wishing to escape the sun for a day can book an appointment at the full-service spa, where massages, body scrubs, pedicures, and a wide range of other treatments are available. For a spectacular sunset experience, grab dinner and tiki drinks at Sandbar, the propertys outdoor restaurant, and be sure to end your night with a relaxing dip in the hot tub.
Humans aren't the only inhabitants in the area - bottlenose dolphins can often be spotted surfacing ... [+] by the beach.
Perched on the Gulf of Mexico, Clearwater is the ideal destination for seafood enthusiasts, with a wide variety of dining venues ranging from upscale to casual. One particular operation has been a prominent fixture of the coast since 1926: Palm Pavilion. The venue has mastered the art of casual beachside dining, serving up fruity frozen cocktails and a wealth of tasty local dishes, including conch fritters, gator bites, and palm grouper.
Those in search of an upscale dining experience will delight in Caretta on the Gulf, a four-diamond AAA rated restaurant located at the prestigious Sandpearl Resort. While the gulf grouper and Hawaiian snapper are standout menu items, be sure to check out their extensive sushi menu as well. For post-dinner drinks, head to Clearwaters largest rooftop bar: Marina Cantina. Equipped with a lengthy margarita menu, this Mexican-fusion restaurant is one of the beachs cant-miss destinations for nightlife.
Palm Pavilion has been serving the citizens of Clearwater for almost a century.
While Clearwater Beach is perfect for a quiet afternoon of sunbathing, its also a prime location for thrill seekers. Visitors seeking a high-speed cruise across the open ocean should consult BouYah Sports, a local company offering parasailing and jet ski excursions. For those less inclined to breakneck speeds, kayaks and paddleboards are also available for rent. For nature enthusiasts, consider a short trek north to two pristine coastal getaways: Caladesi Island and Honeymoon Island. Both are designated as state parks, making them the perfect location to explore old-growth slash pine forests, trek across the pristine sandy shore, or encounter coastal Floridas native birds, reptiles and mammals. While Honeymoon Island can be reached by car, Caladesi is accessible through a short ferry ride past wild mazes of mangroves.
For those looking to further explore coastal Florida, Clearwater is in the perfect location to visit some of the states nearby communities. The city of Saint Petersburg makes for a perfect day trip, especially for art and architecture enthusiasts. The Dal, a surrealist museum featuring a massive tiled-glass entryway and spiral staircase, hosts the largest collection of Salvador Dals works outside of Europe, while Florida CraftArt offers walking and biking tours of the citys extensive collection of vibrant street murals.
A Tarpon Springs sponge diver emerges victorious, having speared his prey.
For a truly unique experience, head north of Clearwater to Tarpon Springs, the sponge capital of the world. Visitors can book an excursion with St Nicholas Boat Line, a local company established back in 1924. The tour includes a cruise through the Anclote River, a thorough introduction to the towns historic ties to the sponge industry, and the main attraction: a sponge haul conducted by a certified diver clad in a late-1800s diving suit. Keep in mind that Tarpon Springs is home to the largest concentration of Greek-Americans in the country - head to Mykonos after the cruise for flaming saganaki and a wealth of other Mediterranean dishes.
While some beach destinations have a limited amount of amenities to offer, Clearwater has developed a wealth of varied activities to suit any visitor. From natural beauty, to thriving nightlife, to palatial resorts, crafting an ideal vacation has never been easier. Though its vital to explore beyond the shore, dont skip it entirely - the soft white sand framed by calm blue water is truly a sight to behold.
Read the original post:
- Beaches, Pools And Playgrounds Will Stay Closed Through At Least July 4, Mayor Says - Block Club Chicago - June 27th, 2020
- Giant stinging jellyfish are appearing in greater numbers on Mass. beaches, but no one seems to know why - The Boston Globe - June 27th, 2020
- The Urbanists Guide to the Beaches of New Jersey - New York Magazine - June 27th, 2020
- Heading to the Delaware beaches this weekend? Here are some helpful tips for your trip - The News Journal - June 27th, 2020
- 'June gloom' will continue to loom at San Diego beaches - The San Diego Union-Tribune - June 27th, 2020
- Mayor on beach closures: I don't mind being the bad guy - CNN - June 27th, 2020
- These are all the dog-friendly beaches in Sleeping Bear Dunes - MLive.com - June 27th, 2020
- Heres how Cape Cod National Seashore beaches will change this summer due to COVID-19 - Boston.com - June 27th, 2020
- What You Should Know About Going To The Beach This Summer - HuffPost - June 27th, 2020
- Long Beach police arrest man on suspicion of West Long Beach shooting that left 2 injured - Long Beach Press Telegram - June 27th, 2020
- Atlantic Beach businesses adjust to face mask mandate - WNCT - June 27th, 2020
- Local gov't minister begs beach, river-goers to observe COVID-19 rules this weekend - Jamaica Observer - June 27th, 2020
- Heading to the Delaware beaches this weekend? Here's some things you might need to know - The News Journal - June 22nd, 2020
- Southern Shores votes to pursue beach nourishment project; "No Left Turn" weekends set - The Coastland Times - The Coastland Times - June 22nd, 2020
- Beaches Are Packed In Florida And Everyone's Happy - The Chattanoogan - June 22nd, 2020
- Multiple waterspouts spotted off Alabama and Florida beaches on Sunday - AL.com - June 22nd, 2020
- Rocky Point reopens to tourists amid COVID-19 pandemic, but its beaches are still closed - AZCentral - June 22nd, 2020
- Bill Maher Begs Millennials To Storm Beaches And Malls, Buy Pants - Deadline - June 22nd, 2020
- Lifeguards To Return To Select Minneapolis Beaches This Weekend - CBS Minnesota - June 22nd, 2020
- The 7 best secret beaches in the USA - Lonely Planet Travel News - June 22nd, 2020
- Headed to the beach? You'll see some big changes - WCVB Boston - June 22nd, 2020
- Crowded beaches and lines for tobacco: What day one of Spains new normality looked like on Sunday - EL PAS in English - June 22nd, 2020
- Daylight Beach Club returns to Mandalay Bay as an adult pool on the Las Vegas Strip. - Eater Vegas - June 22nd, 2020
- Memorial Beach won't get its summer dam this year - Sonoma West - June 22nd, 2020
- Mother, Son Rescued From Sand Collapse On Nauset Beach - CBS Boston - June 22nd, 2020
- This remote destination is home to one of Texas' least crowded beaches - culturemap.com - June 22nd, 2020
- Beaches are back: Orange Beach hosts hundreds of beachgoers on day one of reopen - FOX10 News - May 3rd, 2020
- Old Lyme Beaches to Close Indefinitely Starting This Weekend - NBC Connecticut - May 3rd, 2020
- Coronavirus live updates: Officials urge social distancing at beaches; over 65K have died in US - USA TODAY - May 3rd, 2020
- San Diego Officials: First beach weekend in 6 weeks will serve as a test - CBS News 8 - May 3rd, 2020
- Tampa begins to open its parks, beaches - Tampa Bay Times - May 3rd, 2020
- First full day of Gulf Shores beaches re-open - FOX10 News - May 3rd, 2020
- Hundreds of deputies will be making sure people on Pinellas County beaches are social distancing - ABC Action News - May 3rd, 2020
- Indian River County beaches open for exercise, and there's hope picnics could return soon - TCPalm - May 3rd, 2020
- Fort Myers Beach reopens to the public - Fox 4 - May 3rd, 2020
- Ventnor beaches to reopen May 8, Boardwalk to remain closed - Press of Atlantic City - May 3rd, 2020
- Amid coronavirus, Californians have a right to beaches - Los Angeles Times - May 3rd, 2020
- 11 Stunning Photos of Zanzibar's Beaches and Architecture - Cond Nast Traveler - May 3rd, 2020
- Whats open outdoors? Parks, trails and beaches to visit during shelter in place - San Francisco Chronicle - May 3rd, 2020
- Newport Beach Officials Release Photos Disputing That Their Beaches Were Overcrowded - CBS Los Angeles - May 3rd, 2020
- Deserted Thai Beaches Lure Rare Turtles to Build Most Nests in 20 Years - EcoWatch - May 3rd, 2020
- Maine's most popular parks and beaches to remain closed - Press Herald - May 3rd, 2020
- Marshfield and Duxbury look to shore up beaches with beach nourishment plan - The Patriot Ledger - May 3rd, 2020
- Coronavirus live updates: Outdoor access on the rise, virus rates vary between neighborhoods - USA TODAY - May 3rd, 2020
- City parks and state beaches re-open for exercise only - KHON2 - April 26th, 2020
- San Clemente beaches to reopen for residents this weekend - Los Angeles Times - April 26th, 2020
- Beaches are closed, but beach reads are still on the way - The Spokesman-Review - April 26th, 2020
- Florida lawyer to wear Grim Reaper costume to stop people visiting beaches - The-Latest News - April 26th, 2020
- Coronavirus has many beaches closed, but beach reads are still coming this summer - USA TODAY - April 26th, 2020
- What's open and closed this weekend: Beaches, parks and trails in Southern California - Los Angeles Times - April 26th, 2020
- Coronavirus: City of Ventura to allow limited access to closed beaches, parks, pier - VC Star - April 26th, 2020
- Will IRCSO patrol county beaches when they re-open Tuesday? 'Absolutely,' sheriff says - TCPalm - April 26th, 2020
- COVID-19: Satellite Beach, Cocoa Beach reopen beaches to sunbathers, groups of 5 or less - Florida Today - April 26th, 2020
- Heat wave has people even more anxious to hit the beach - CBS News 8 - April 26th, 2020
- When Pinellas County reopens its beaches and businesses, officials want to move slowly - Tampa Bay Times - April 26th, 2020
- Oak Island opening beaches Friday, with restrictions - WWAY NewsChannel 3 - April 26th, 2020
- After two-week closure, three Brunswick beaches reopen; Kure and Carolina still closed [Free read] - Port City Daily - April 26th, 2020
- Here is Galveston's plan to open its restaurants and beaches - KHOU.com - April 26th, 2020
- Visitors flock to the beach as South Padre Island reopens - KGBT-TV - April 26th, 2020
- Surfers, Swimmers, Beach-Lovers Want Answers: When Will We Get Back in the Water, and on the Sand? - NBC 7 San Diego - April 26th, 2020
- Edisto Beach and Kiawah respond to opening of public beaches - WCBD News 2 - April 26th, 2020
- Open and closed trails, parks, beaches in California - Los Angeles Times - April 7th, 2020
- 4 more Jersey Shore towns closing their beaches, boardwalks, halting rentals due to coronavirus - NJ.com - April 7th, 2020
- Marco Island approves opening entrance, exit beach access points - Wink News - April 7th, 2020
- Closing the beaches: Who actually has the authority to do it? - Port City Daily - April 7th, 2020
- No rentals, beaches, boardwalks at these Jersey Shore towns - New Jersey 101.5 FM Radio - April 7th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Beaches will remain closed, according to Jacksonville mayor - The Florida Times-Union - April 7th, 2020
- Police chief: The Seaside beach is closed to everyone, and that includes you - KPTV.com - April 7th, 2020
- Mass. state coastal beaches remain open but dont plan on getting a tan. Heres what to know. - Boston.com - April 7th, 2020
- L.A. Times: Scientists Concerned over Potential COVID-19 Exposure from Beach Walks and Swimming - North Coast Journal - April 7th, 2020
- Local beaches: What's open and what's closed - 10News - April 7th, 2020
- Coronavirus At The Beach? In The Surf? In The Breeze? It's Complicated - CBS San Francisco - April 7th, 2020
- Governments talk about how to reopen the beaches - Fernandina Beach News-Leader - April 7th, 2020
- 3 more Ocean County beaches closing this week as coronavirus cases mount - NJ.com - April 7th, 2020
- Local beaches were packed as COVID-19 scare sends folks outside - News965 - March 16th, 2020
- Event cancellations in the Bay Area lead many to busy beaches - FOX 13 Tampa Bay - March 16th, 2020
- People flock to beaches as other places across Tampa Bay shut down - WTSP.com - March 16th, 2020
- Drive-through coronavirus testing starts Monday in West Palm Beach - WPTV.com - March 16th, 2020
- Boris Johnson's hero is the mayor who kept the beaches open in Jaws. That's fine by me - The Guardian - March 16th, 2020
- Coronavirus Update: Jones Beach Eyed As Possible Drive-Thru Testing Site As Number Of Cases On Long Island Grows - CBS New York - March 16th, 2020