God only knows that, two weeks out from the presidential election, the stakes are high.
On Sunday, a version of the Beach Boys the touring incarnation of the group led by cofounder Mike Love performed at a last-minute fundraiser for President Trump near Newport Beach in Orange County.
Brian Wilson and Al Jardine, two other founding members of the beloved California band, were less than happy about the news.
We have absolutely nothing to do with the Trump benefit today in Newport Beach. Zero, Wilson and Jardine told Variety through a spokesperson Sunday. We didnt even know about it and were very surprised to read about it in the Los Angeles Times.
The Beach Boys rehearse in Newport Beach Saturday in preparation for President Trumps fundraiser.
(Mark Chervinsky / For The Times)
The L.A. Times published a story about the fundraiser Sunday, including the detail that Loves touring version of the group would headline the event. The Beach Boys formed in 1961 in Hawthorne, less than an hours drive from Lido Isle, the exclusive man-made island in Newport Beach where Trumps campaign held the fundraiser.
Everyone assumes hes going to go to battleground states. No one really thinks about how Orange County, California, is an ATM machine, Jon Fleischman, a former state GOP official, told The Times Sunday.
In 2016, Orange County shifted blue and voted Democratic in a presidential election for the first time since the Great Depression. Its collective pockets however, remain deep and GOP donors still have a strong presence.
The only reason a presidential candidate should be in California in late October is if the GPS breaks or if he is so desperate for money that he has no choice, political strategist Dan Schnur told The Times. At this stage in the campaign, every hour is precious. The fact that the candidate himself has to raise money in person means their fundraising situation is way beyond dire.
But Sunday wasnt the first time the Wouldnt It Be Nice hitmakers divided over political differences. In February, Wilson and Jardine both signed a Change.org petition urging supporters to Say No to Trophy Hunting!
At the time, the request called for a boycott of Loves group after it secured a headlining spot at the Safari Club International Convention in Reno, where Donald Trump Jr. was the keynote speaker.
This organization supports trophy hunting, which both Al and I are emphatically opposed to, Wilson wrote on Twitter. Theres nothing we can do personally to stop the show, so please join us in signing the petition.
Love holds the legal rights to the name for the touring edition of the Beach Boys, although Wilson and Jardine have plans to tour together too, playing Beach Boys music with guitarist Blondie Chaplin.
I dont have anything negative to say about the president of the USA, Love told Uncut magazine in 2017. We did attend the inauguration. That was a moving experience.
I understand there are so many factions and fractious things going on the chips will fall where they may, Love added. But Donald Trump has never been anything but kind to us. We have known him for many a year. Weve performed at some of his venues at fundraisers and so on.
Follow this link:
- Army hauls 3 billion pounds of sand to Miami-Dade beaches - Miami Today - May 5th, 2021
- Sea turtle nesting season has started on Hilton Head beaches, do you know the rules? - WSAV-TV - May 5th, 2021
- Nurtured by pandemic habits, Huntington Beach Central's 'seed library' is sprouting new interest - Los Angeles Times - May 5th, 2021
- Despite some hesitation, Palm Beach County OKs 70-acre transfer of prime land to Scripps for $1 - Palm Beach Post - May 5th, 2021
- Atlantic Beach police official to bikers: 'We don't want them here ... not this year' - Charleston Post Courier - May 5th, 2021
- Hawaii tourist claims angry mom pressured her to leave beach over bikini - Fox News - May 5th, 2021
- Returning Bruce's Beach in California to the Black family who originally owned it - 60 Minutes Plus - CBS News - May 5th, 2021
- Hospitality Jobs at Hilton Sandestin Beach Golf Resort & Spa are "Day at the Beach" Compared to More High-Stress Careers - PRNewswire - May 5th, 2021
- Sheriff: Beach Park man arrested after stepping out of vehicle with gun - Daily Herald - May 5th, 2021
- Tammy Heon Talks Tourism on Hernando Beach - Hernando Sun - May 5th, 2021
- Dreaming of a Virginia Beach getaway? This Town Center district has something for everyone - WSLS 10 - May 5th, 2021
- Mass. destination named one of the best family beach vacations in the U.S., according to Conde Nast Traveler - Boston.com - May 5th, 2021
- Fatal ATV accident at Goldsboro's Busco Beach one of several tragedies at park in recent years - WRAL.com - May 5th, 2021
- $2 Billion Advisor Team Joins UBS in Newport Beach, California - Business Wire - May 5th, 2021
- 7 ways you can have fun in the sun at Virginia Beach - WSLS 10 - May 5th, 2021
- Beaches top dream vacation wish lists for Americans as travel takes off - CNBC - April 5th, 2021
- California's beaches and popular attractions are becoming flooded with crowds again - SF Gate - April 5th, 2021
- Arrests made in Virginia Beach triple shooting that killed one teenager, injured two others - WAVY.com - April 5th, 2021
- KKK Flyers Found in Huntington Beach Week Ahead of `White Lives Matter' Events - NBC Southern California - April 5th, 2021
- Busy weekend expected on local beaches | Local News - Brunswick News - April 5th, 2021
- The Angriest Octopus Lashes at a Tourist on an Australian Beach - The New York Times - April 5th, 2021
- Easter Bunny makes a stop in Rosemary Beach - WMBB - mypanhandle.com - April 5th, 2021
- Over 90 Beach Rescues Over The Weekend - whnt.com - April 5th, 2021
- Schools in Long Beach, Calif., Start Reopening This Week - The New York Times - April 5th, 2021
- Toxin levels still to high to allow razor clam beaches to open - The Daily World - February 6th, 2021
- Strong storms possible throughout the Palm Beaches and Treasure Coast on Saturday - WPBF West Palm Beach - February 6th, 2021
- Not Safe To Eat: Thousands Of Clams Washed Up Onto Revere Beach After Storm - CBS Boston - February 6th, 2021
- Murphy Calls On Feds To Address Severe Beach Erosion In Ocean Co. - Patch.com - February 6th, 2021
- Duluth searches for solution to shredded metal cans found on Park Point beach - Duluth News Tribune - February 6th, 2021
- Man dies following Friday shooting near Indian River Rd in Virginia Beach; One person arrested - 13newsnow.com WVEC - February 6th, 2021
- Three Mastic Beach businesses honored for servicing the community for 50 years or more - GreaterMoriches - February 6th, 2021
- Developers of Miami Beach Convention Center Hotel Want to Reduce Height and Massing, Eliminate Parking - RE:MiamiBeach - February 6th, 2021
- City of West Palm Beach delivering update on water main break that prompted boil water notice - WPBF West Palm Beach - February 6th, 2021
- Mother of 'Little Jacob,' boy found dead on Galveston beach in 2017, sentenced to life in prison - KHOU.com - February 6th, 2021
- Whale That Washed Up on Florida Beach Turns Out to Be an Entirely New Species - ScienceAlert - February 6th, 2021
- L.A. County beaches reopen after threat of lightning passes - KTLA Los Angeles - January 30th, 2021
- La Jolla Parks & Beaches forms working group to address impacts of reservoir project - La Jolla Light - January 30th, 2021
- Rhinos, Rodeo, fair, Mutt derby, and exploration of the Palm Beaches' hidden spaces - WPTV.com - January 30th, 2021
- Palm Beach, Indian River Counties not taking part in statewide vaccine registration - WPTV.com - January 30th, 2021
- Port of Palm Beach implements training to prevent human trafficking - Security Magazine - January 30th, 2021
- Pipe Freeze Warning Issued Amid Power Outage In Ortley Beach - Patch.com - January 30th, 2021
- Virginia Beach church latest target in string of catalytic converter larcenies around city - WAVY.com - January 30th, 2021
- City of Hope Newport Beach celebrates one-year anniversary - Los Angeles Times - January 30th, 2021
- New Myrtle Beach breakfast spot highlights new business openings in the area - Charleston Post Courier - January 30th, 2021
- The Trump Plaza condo board in West Palm Beach voted unanimously to dump the Trump name - Business Insider - Business Insider - January 30th, 2021
- Two Flagler Beach Residents Arrested After Refusing to Comply With Mask Mandate at Commission Meeting - FlaglerLive.com - January 30th, 2021
- Winter visitors: Seals popping up on beaches along the Outer Banks - OBXToday.com - January 9th, 2021
- LEADING OFF: What's happening in and around the Beaches - The Florida Times-Union - January 9th, 2021
- Dangerous waves to slam San Diego beaches this weekend - The San Diego Union-Tribune - January 9th, 2021
- In Nags Head, questions over beach nourishment funding - The Outer Banks Voice - January 9th, 2021
- Myrtle Beach welcomes new attractions, events and more in 2021 - Attractions Magazine - January 9th, 2021
- 4 men arrested in connection with shooting death of 14-year-old Long Beach boy; firearms seized - KTLA - January 9th, 2021
- Beach erosion is Zoom meeting topic - The Garden Island - January 9th, 2021
- Around Town: Speak Up Newport Beach to host webinar on regional housing needs allocation numbers - Los Angeles Times - January 9th, 2021
- Stardew Valley: Everything You Need To Know About Beach Farming - GameRant - January 9th, 2021
- Shes A Miracle: Beloved Long Beach ICU Nurse Recounts Her Fight With COVID-19 - CBS Los Angeles - January 9th, 2021
- Young killer whale rescued after stranding on Scottish beach - Livescience.com - January 9th, 2021
- Long Beach firefighters are now getting the vaccine; what happens if they decline? - Long Beach Post - January 9th, 2021
- Virginia Beach Public Utilities offices will relocate to the Lynnhaven Area - WAVY.com - January 9th, 2021
- On the Montauk Beach - East Hampton Star - December 31st, 2020
- Coast Guard searches for missing boat with 20 people aboard headed to Palm Beach County from Bahamas - WPTV.com - December 31st, 2020
- 2 New Years Eve events in Myrtle Beach area approved by state, 1 major event rejected - WBTW - December 31st, 2020
- North Beach Volunteer Fire Department Receives 1947 Apparatus Back After Barn Find in North Carolina | Southern Maryland News Net - Southern Maryland... - December 31st, 2020
- Virginia Beach needs help identifying locations of people living unsheltered to help with annual homeless population count - WAVY.com - December 31st, 2020
- Supreme Shot Under The Manhattan Beach Pier: Photo Of The Day - Patch.com - December 31st, 2020
- Several Mexico Beach businesses prepare to open in 2021 - WMBB - mypanhandle.com - December 31st, 2020
- 'Beaches and Boots Witches Dance' to benefit Ocean Cure - WWAY NewsChannel 3 - October 19th, 2020
- Marine layer sweeps in over the coastal valleys and beaches Monday morning - KSBY San Luis Obispo News - October 19th, 2020
- Pro-Trump and pro-police flags hung throughout Redondo Beach without city permission - The Daily Breeze - October 19th, 2020
- Kure Beach pushes to reduce speed on Fort Fisher Blvd. - WWAY NewsChannel 3 - October 19th, 2020
- Jess Weeth Designs a Breezy Beach House for Three Generations of Women - HouseBeautiful.com - October 19th, 2020
- Thousands Of Trump Supporters Line Streets In Newport Beach To Welcome The President - CBS Los Angeles - October 19th, 2020
- Shaw airman charged in connection with shooting deaths in Myrtle Beach - AirForceTimes.com - October 19th, 2020
- For $399,000, five-bedroom Mastic Beach house near the water - Newsday - October 19th, 2020
- Market in Virginia Beach opens for veterans and their families - WAVY.com - October 19th, 2020
- A tiny boat was discovered on a remote beach 27 years after it was launched by teachers - CNN - October 19th, 2020
- Purple flag flies at some beaches, but where are the jellyfish? - yoursun.com - October 8th, 2020
- Four Alabama Gulf Coast beaches say they've reopened after Hurricane Sally - NOLA.com - October 8th, 2020
- North Palm Beach mixed-use property hits the market for $45M - The Real Deal - October 8th, 2020
- South Beach Nightclub Owner Talks About Reopening With Condensed Hours - NBC 6 South Florida - October 8th, 2020