MYRTLE BEACH Thousands of bikers, welcomed or not, will rumble their way to Grand Strand communities through most of May as Horry County comes to grips with tradition-rich riders yearning for outdoor entertainment.
Communities like Atlantic Beach, which traditionally host events such as the Memorial Day Bikefest, which is formally canceled this year, are buckling down as the area prepares to host the largest crowds this area has seen since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic.
"We don't want them here," said Atlantic Beach police clerk Kim Mujas. "We hope by next year we can open up full swing, but not this year."
Bikers from up and down the eastern seaboard, from as close as North Carolina and as far as Virginia and the Washington, D.C., area all moderate to high places for COVID-19, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are expected to flock to outdoor beer gardens and concerts planned for Myrtle Beach Bike Week Spring Rally, known as Harley Week, planned for May 7-16.
They'll head to places like The Beaver Bar on Murrells Inlet and its nearby neighbor Suck Bang Blow, which had a run-in with the law during the 2020 Spring Rally for violating Gov. Henry McMaster's executive order against large groups congregating during the pandemic. The bar was fined more than $17,000 for the violation.
According to the Department of Health and Environmental Control, 30 percent of South Carolina residents have completed their COVID-19 vaccination, which means herd immunity is still a ways away. Seventy percent of the population needs to be vaccinated in order to achieve herd immunity, according to Johns Hopkins University.
Less than a third of the states eligible population is fully vaccinated. Yet South Carolinas providers were giving fewer vaccines in late April than they did in early March when eligibility was widely expanded, according to data from the CDC.
"The potential is extremely high for a lot of visitors. ... We're not unused to those kind of numbers," said Randy Webster, assistant county administrator for public safety. "But I think moving forward, the vaccine issue won't really come into play, except it could end up generating higher visiting numbers."
When asked how the county plans to prepare for these events in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, the county said it will maintain similar public safety measures as in years' past.
"We're looking forward to this year being a bit of a challenge with all the festivities being canceled, folks are still coming,"said Horry County Police Chief Joseph Hill."They may not be in Atlantic Beach, they're gonna be in other places."
Atlantic Beach Bikefest, commonly referred to as Black Bike Week, traditionally happens Memorial Day weekend. In past years, visitors became so unruly that the county implemented a traffic loop that moved traffic in one direction on Myrtle Beach's Ocean Boulevard and "looped" it around other roads, crippling visiting traffic and wreaking havoc for unsuspecting tourists staying at oceanfront hotels.
The event drew hundreds of law enforcement personnel from around the state to assist the State Law Enforcement Division in maintaining peace on the streets.
In more recent years, barricades were placed along the loop but did not block intersections. It allowed traffic to flow normally, but police were ready to institute the loop if crowds got out of control.
Cpl. Tom Vest. of the Myrtle Beach Police Department said police will have additional presence during both rallies and that the city has plans in place. He said additional information would be presented at the City Council meeting May 11.
Webster said the county is gearing up for a busy May.
"Everybody recognizes from what we've seen so far, that we are anticipating an extremely busy year for visitors that want to visit our location, and you know others that want to get out," Webster said. (We've) been cooped up for a year myself included in that it is time to move forward and try to get our lives back to some sort of normalcy again."
Reach Alex Brizee at 843-637-9881. Follow her on Twitter @alexbrizee.
- Avalon closes beaches and boardwalk at night to control crowds of young people - The Philadelphia Inquirer - July 12th, 2021
- Use This Site to Find the Closest Beaches With the Best Amenities - Lifehacker - July 12th, 2021
- Oceanside searches for ways to keep sand on its eroding beaches - The San Diego Union-Tribune - July 12th, 2021
- NWS: Beachgoers shouldn't go into the water at Pinellas County beaches this weekend - WTSP.com - July 12th, 2021
- East Beach at Mission Creek Lands on Heal the Bays Beach Bummers List for Bacterial Pollution - Noozhawk - July 12th, 2021
- 10 of Spains best beaches for families and hikers - The Guardian - July 12th, 2021
- Where is Battle on the Beach 2021 filmed? Inside sandy HGTV location! - Reality Titbit - Celebrity TV News - July 12th, 2021
- Fairfield, Conn.: A Relaxed Beach Town Where Theres Plenty to Do - The New York Times - July 12th, 2021
- Lewes to consider naming guarded beaches - CapeGazette.com - July 12th, 2021
- Jersey Shore town orders overnight beach, boardwalk closures to stop unruly crowds - NJ.com - July 12th, 2021
- For new generation of Olympians, path was through NCAA beach - Associated Press - July 12th, 2021
- The beach is there for all of us we just have to get there - Los Angeles Times - July 12th, 2021
- Sick after going to the beach? Experts say it could be poop in the water. - Houston Chronicle - July 12th, 2021
- Long Beach woman is beautifying the streets of Skid Row one makeover at a time - KTLA Los Angeles - July 12th, 2021
- These West Oahu Residents Are On A Mission To Clean Up The Island's Beach Parks - Honolulu Civil Beat - July 12th, 2021
- Maryland familys vacation begins with memorable mammal sighting in Surfside Beach - WBTW - July 12th, 2021
- Army hauls 3 billion pounds of sand to Miami-Dade beaches - Miami Today - May 5th, 2021
- Sea turtle nesting season has started on Hilton Head beaches, do you know the rules? - WSAV-TV - May 5th, 2021
- Nurtured by pandemic habits, Huntington Beach Central's 'seed library' is sprouting new interest - Los Angeles Times - May 5th, 2021
- Despite some hesitation, Palm Beach County OKs 70-acre transfer of prime land to Scripps for $1 - Palm Beach Post - May 5th, 2021
- Hawaii tourist claims angry mom pressured her to leave beach over bikini - Fox News - May 5th, 2021
- Returning Bruce's Beach in California to the Black family who originally owned it - 60 Minutes Plus - CBS News - May 5th, 2021
- Hospitality Jobs at Hilton Sandestin Beach Golf Resort & Spa are "Day at the Beach" Compared to More High-Stress Careers - PRNewswire - May 5th, 2021
- Sheriff: Beach Park man arrested after stepping out of vehicle with gun - Daily Herald - May 5th, 2021
- Tammy Heon Talks Tourism on Hernando Beach - Hernando Sun - May 5th, 2021
- Dreaming of a Virginia Beach getaway? This Town Center district has something for everyone - WSLS 10 - May 5th, 2021
- Mass. destination named one of the best family beach vacations in the U.S., according to Conde Nast Traveler - Boston.com - May 5th, 2021
- Fatal ATV accident at Goldsboro's Busco Beach one of several tragedies at park in recent years - WRAL.com - May 5th, 2021
- $2 Billion Advisor Team Joins UBS in Newport Beach, California - Business Wire - May 5th, 2021
- 7 ways you can have fun in the sun at Virginia Beach - WSLS 10 - May 5th, 2021
- Beaches top dream vacation wish lists for Americans as travel takes off - CNBC - April 5th, 2021
- California's beaches and popular attractions are becoming flooded with crowds again - SF Gate - April 5th, 2021
- Arrests made in Virginia Beach triple shooting that killed one teenager, injured two others - WAVY.com - April 5th, 2021
- KKK Flyers Found in Huntington Beach Week Ahead of `White Lives Matter' Events - NBC Southern California - April 5th, 2021
- Busy weekend expected on local beaches | Local News - Brunswick News - April 5th, 2021
- The Angriest Octopus Lashes at a Tourist on an Australian Beach - The New York Times - April 5th, 2021
- Easter Bunny makes a stop in Rosemary Beach - WMBB - mypanhandle.com - April 5th, 2021
- Over 90 Beach Rescues Over The Weekend - whnt.com - April 5th, 2021
- Schools in Long Beach, Calif., Start Reopening This Week - The New York Times - April 5th, 2021
- Toxin levels still to high to allow razor clam beaches to open - The Daily World - February 6th, 2021
- Strong storms possible throughout the Palm Beaches and Treasure Coast on Saturday - WPBF West Palm Beach - February 6th, 2021
- Not Safe To Eat: Thousands Of Clams Washed Up Onto Revere Beach After Storm - CBS Boston - February 6th, 2021
- Murphy Calls On Feds To Address Severe Beach Erosion In Ocean Co. - Patch.com - February 6th, 2021
- Duluth searches for solution to shredded metal cans found on Park Point beach - Duluth News Tribune - February 6th, 2021
- Man dies following Friday shooting near Indian River Rd in Virginia Beach; One person arrested - 13newsnow.com WVEC - February 6th, 2021
- Three Mastic Beach businesses honored for servicing the community for 50 years or more - GreaterMoriches - February 6th, 2021
- Developers of Miami Beach Convention Center Hotel Want to Reduce Height and Massing, Eliminate Parking - RE:MiamiBeach - February 6th, 2021
- City of West Palm Beach delivering update on water main break that prompted boil water notice - WPBF West Palm Beach - February 6th, 2021
- Mother of 'Little Jacob,' boy found dead on Galveston beach in 2017, sentenced to life in prison - KHOU.com - February 6th, 2021
- Whale That Washed Up on Florida Beach Turns Out to Be an Entirely New Species - ScienceAlert - February 6th, 2021
- L.A. County beaches reopen after threat of lightning passes - KTLA Los Angeles - January 30th, 2021
- La Jolla Parks & Beaches forms working group to address impacts of reservoir project - La Jolla Light - January 30th, 2021
- Rhinos, Rodeo, fair, Mutt derby, and exploration of the Palm Beaches' hidden spaces - WPTV.com - January 30th, 2021
- Palm Beach, Indian River Counties not taking part in statewide vaccine registration - WPTV.com - January 30th, 2021
- Port of Palm Beach implements training to prevent human trafficking - Security Magazine - January 30th, 2021
- Pipe Freeze Warning Issued Amid Power Outage In Ortley Beach - Patch.com - January 30th, 2021
- Virginia Beach church latest target in string of catalytic converter larcenies around city - WAVY.com - January 30th, 2021
- City of Hope Newport Beach celebrates one-year anniversary - Los Angeles Times - January 30th, 2021
- New Myrtle Beach breakfast spot highlights new business openings in the area - Charleston Post Courier - January 30th, 2021
- The Trump Plaza condo board in West Palm Beach voted unanimously to dump the Trump name - Business Insider - Business Insider - January 30th, 2021
- Two Flagler Beach Residents Arrested After Refusing to Comply With Mask Mandate at Commission Meeting - FlaglerLive.com - January 30th, 2021
- Winter visitors: Seals popping up on beaches along the Outer Banks - OBXToday.com - January 9th, 2021
- LEADING OFF: What's happening in and around the Beaches - The Florida Times-Union - January 9th, 2021
- Dangerous waves to slam San Diego beaches this weekend - The San Diego Union-Tribune - January 9th, 2021
- In Nags Head, questions over beach nourishment funding - The Outer Banks Voice - January 9th, 2021
- Myrtle Beach welcomes new attractions, events and more in 2021 - Attractions Magazine - January 9th, 2021
- 4 men arrested in connection with shooting death of 14-year-old Long Beach boy; firearms seized - KTLA - January 9th, 2021
- Beach erosion is Zoom meeting topic - The Garden Island - January 9th, 2021
- Around Town: Speak Up Newport Beach to host webinar on regional housing needs allocation numbers - Los Angeles Times - January 9th, 2021
- Stardew Valley: Everything You Need To Know About Beach Farming - GameRant - January 9th, 2021
- Shes A Miracle: Beloved Long Beach ICU Nurse Recounts Her Fight With COVID-19 - CBS Los Angeles - January 9th, 2021
- Young killer whale rescued after stranding on Scottish beach - Livescience.com - January 9th, 2021
- Long Beach firefighters are now getting the vaccine; what happens if they decline? - Long Beach Post - January 9th, 2021
- Virginia Beach Public Utilities offices will relocate to the Lynnhaven Area - WAVY.com - January 9th, 2021
- On the Montauk Beach - East Hampton Star - December 31st, 2020
- Coast Guard searches for missing boat with 20 people aboard headed to Palm Beach County from Bahamas - WPTV.com - December 31st, 2020
- 2 New Years Eve events in Myrtle Beach area approved by state, 1 major event rejected - WBTW - December 31st, 2020
- North Beach Volunteer Fire Department Receives 1947 Apparatus Back After Barn Find in North Carolina | Southern Maryland News Net - Southern Maryland... - December 31st, 2020
- Virginia Beach needs help identifying locations of people living unsheltered to help with annual homeless population count - WAVY.com - December 31st, 2020
- Supreme Shot Under The Manhattan Beach Pier: Photo Of The Day - Patch.com - December 31st, 2020