The red, white and blue vessel was found at a remote area on Apostle Islands National Seashore in Wisconsin with a very intentional message on the bottom.
"I am traveling to the ocean. Please put me back in the water. Will you send information on your whereabouts to: Lakewood School Room 116 & 118 5207 N. Tischer Duluth, MN (scribbled out zip code) 53304," the message reads.
There was no date, and no one knew where it came from until the school did a little digging.
It turns out two teachers, Brenda Schell and Bonnie Fritch, did a lesson on the book "Paddle-to-the-Sea" in 1993 and 1994 and two wooden boats were part of the lesson.
"A friend of Brenda's made the boats for us and our classes painted them and added the message to the bottom. On our end of the year field trip for our Duluth unit we stopped at Brighton Beach to launch the boats."
After almost 27 years, the boat was still in good shape making its way around the lake though, obviously, it's not known where it was the entire time.
"I am not sure what happened to Brenda's boat but mine was spotted a year later up the North Shore. The people put a second coat of varnish on the boat and relaunched it. I thought we wouldn't hear any more about it. Amazing it is still out there," Fritch added.
Lynn BeBeau and her husband were the ones who discovered this little wooden boat while out hiking on the lakeshore across from Eagle Island.
"It was a very fun and unexpected -- extremely -- unexpected discovery," BeBeau told CNN.
"We decided we wanted to go check out this area and my husband sees this red wood sticking out. He goes to pick it up and it's this crazy little boat!"
She said they didn't expect it to be as old as it was. They assume a storm put it on that beach years ago, based on how protected the area is from the elements.
"That little boat took on a journey of its own," BeBeau said.
After taking photos that are on the They released the boat back into the water like the inscription instructed, but the experience left BeBeau with a sense of wonder and greater appreciation for the unknown.
"You just never know what you are going to find, so get out there and explore because there is stuff to be found," she said.
See the original post:
- Winter visitors: Seals popping up on beaches along the Outer Banks - OBXToday.com - January 9th, 2021
- LEADING OFF: What's happening in and around the Beaches - The Florida Times-Union - January 9th, 2021
- Dangerous waves to slam San Diego beaches this weekend - The San Diego Union-Tribune - January 9th, 2021
- In Nags Head, questions over beach nourishment funding - The Outer Banks Voice - January 9th, 2021
- Myrtle Beach welcomes new attractions, events and more in 2021 - Attractions Magazine - January 9th, 2021
- 4 men arrested in connection with shooting death of 14-year-old Long Beach boy; firearms seized - KTLA - January 9th, 2021
- Beach erosion is Zoom meeting topic - The Garden Island - January 9th, 2021
- Around Town: Speak Up Newport Beach to host webinar on regional housing needs allocation numbers - Los Angeles Times - January 9th, 2021
- Stardew Valley: Everything You Need To Know About Beach Farming - GameRant - January 9th, 2021
- Shes A Miracle: Beloved Long Beach ICU Nurse Recounts Her Fight With COVID-19 - CBS Los Angeles - January 9th, 2021
- Young killer whale rescued after stranding on Scottish beach - Livescience.com - January 9th, 2021
- Long Beach firefighters are now getting the vaccine; what happens if they decline? - Long Beach Post - January 9th, 2021
- Virginia Beach Public Utilities offices will relocate to the Lynnhaven Area - WAVY.com - January 9th, 2021
- On the Montauk Beach - East Hampton Star - December 31st, 2020
- Coast Guard searches for missing boat with 20 people aboard headed to Palm Beach County from Bahamas - WPTV.com - December 31st, 2020
- 2 New Years Eve events in Myrtle Beach area approved by state, 1 major event rejected - WBTW - December 31st, 2020
- North Beach Volunteer Fire Department Receives 1947 Apparatus Back After Barn Find in North Carolina | Southern Maryland News Net - Southern Maryland... - December 31st, 2020
- Virginia Beach needs help identifying locations of people living unsheltered to help with annual homeless population count - WAVY.com - December 31st, 2020
- Supreme Shot Under The Manhattan Beach Pier: Photo Of The Day - Patch.com - December 31st, 2020
- Several Mexico Beach businesses prepare to open in 2021 - WMBB - mypanhandle.com - December 31st, 2020
- 'Beaches and Boots Witches Dance' to benefit Ocean Cure - WWAY NewsChannel 3 - October 19th, 2020
- Brian Wilson wants nothing to do with Beach Boys Trump event - Los Angeles Times - October 19th, 2020
- Marine layer sweeps in over the coastal valleys and beaches Monday morning - KSBY San Luis Obispo News - October 19th, 2020
- Pro-Trump and pro-police flags hung throughout Redondo Beach without city permission - The Daily Breeze - October 19th, 2020
- Kure Beach pushes to reduce speed on Fort Fisher Blvd. - WWAY NewsChannel 3 - October 19th, 2020
- Jess Weeth Designs a Breezy Beach House for Three Generations of Women - HouseBeautiful.com - October 19th, 2020
- Thousands Of Trump Supporters Line Streets In Newport Beach To Welcome The President - CBS Los Angeles - October 19th, 2020
- Shaw airman charged in connection with shooting deaths in Myrtle Beach - AirForceTimes.com - October 19th, 2020
- For $399,000, five-bedroom Mastic Beach house near the water - Newsday - October 19th, 2020
- Market in Virginia Beach opens for veterans and their families - WAVY.com - October 19th, 2020
- Purple flag flies at some beaches, but where are the jellyfish? - yoursun.com - October 8th, 2020
- Four Alabama Gulf Coast beaches say they've reopened after Hurricane Sally - NOLA.com - October 8th, 2020
- North Palm Beach mixed-use property hits the market for $45M - The Real Deal - October 8th, 2020
- South Beach Nightclub Owner Talks About Reopening With Condensed Hours - NBC 6 South Florida - October 8th, 2020
- Tips for beach drivers when Stopping and options when IT happens - Carolinacoastonline - October 8th, 2020
- Virginia Beach firefighters warn about the dangers of kitchen fires - 13newsnow.com WVEC - October 8th, 2020
- Beach Fire Ordinance Update Delayed; Councilors Ask Staff To Survey Property Owners on Bluff Between 6th Street and Battery Point - Lost Coast Outpost - October 8th, 2020
- Things to do in Wellington and Royal Palm Beach: Green markets, concert, food trucks - Palm Beach Post - October 8th, 2020
- Annexation could bring nearly another 200 housing units to Vero Beach - TCPalm - October 8th, 2020
- Husband says missing mother-of-4 went to Bradenton Beach to proselytize day before disappearance - FOX 13 Tampa Bay - October 8th, 2020
- Daytona Beach police give warning on crowds as Biketoberfest nears - FOX 35 Orlando - October 8th, 2020
- Padre Island National Seashore shares photo of 'mystery creature' discovered at beach - mySA - October 8th, 2020
- Toxic Beaches: Hundreds of Closures and Health Warnings in 2020 - Environmental Working Group - September 30th, 2020
- Mom drowns trying to rescue her 3 children from rip current at Jersey Shore beach - NJ.com - September 30th, 2020
- The chemical BPA is widespread on beaches around the world - Environmental Health News - September 30th, 2020
- 20-year-old man stabbed in Cape Cod beach parking lot - MassLive.com - September 30th, 2020
- Police identify person of interest in deadly West Palm Beach hit-and-run - WPBF West Palm Beach - September 30th, 2020
- New phase of $52M Jersey Shore beach replenishment project starts this week in 3 towns - NJ.com - September 30th, 2020
- Beach drivers succumbing to the plight of soft, airy sand; fishing in real fall mode - Carolinacoastonline - September 30th, 2020
- Mass stranding event beaches 450 whales in Tasmania - Live Science - September 30th, 2020
- A lawsuit over COVID restrictions, a beaches update and a prep tradition on hold - AL.com - September 30th, 2020
- Driver Racing Crashes Into And Demolishes Long Beach Restaurant Parklet - Eater LA - September 30th, 2020
- Some NJ beaches are extending the summer season. Here's the list - Asbury Park Press - August 31st, 2020
- Delaware beach guide: What you need to know for your late August trip - The News Journal - August 31st, 2020
- Swimming Is One Thing in The Pandemic. The Crowd at The Beach Is Something Else - ScienceAlert - August 31st, 2020
- Manti Te'o introduces fans to the real 'Mrs. Te'o' after beach wedding - New York Post - August 31st, 2020
- Swimming advisory issued for Shell Point Beach due to high levels of bacteria - WTXL ABC 27 - August 31st, 2020
- Marthas Vineyard beach named the best on the East Coast, beating out Florida, Jersey Shore - MassLive.com - August 31st, 2020
- Nearly 2 dozen vehicles found with slashed tires in Eaglewood area of Virginia Beach - WAVY.com - August 31st, 2020
- Locals rediscover streets and beaches in resorts absent of foreign tourists - The Guardian - August 31st, 2020
- Man shot and killed on 405 Freeway in Seal Beach - Los Angeles Times - August 31st, 2020
- Here are eight traffic initiatives planned for Pensacola Beach this off season - Pensacola News Journal - August 31st, 2020
- Bethel Park's Psotka taking Division I volleyball talents to the beach | Trib HSSN - TribLIVE - August 31st, 2020
- Beach Road Reconstruction Work Set to Begin Sept. 8 - The Vineyard Gazette - Martha's Vineyard News - August 31st, 2020
- In Flagler Beach, A Pitched Battle Over Taxes Is Dividing Commissioners as Administration Draws Fire - FlaglerLive.com - August 31st, 2020
- Red the Steakhouse Moves to a New South Beach Location - Miami New Times - August 31st, 2020
- Police Arrest 5 at Kahalu'u Beach Park For Violation of COVID-19 Protocol - Big Island Now - August 31st, 2020
- Cape Cod towns restrict beaches to only residents, close parking lots amid coronavirus - Boston Herald - August 11th, 2020
- New Coral Reef Information Signs Installed at 39 Maui Beaches - Maui Now - August 11th, 2020
- Restricting Beach Access to Residents Only - The New York Times - August 11th, 2020
- Petition Created to Keep Framingham Beaches Open Beyond August 9 - framinghamsource.com - August 11th, 2020
- HPD issues hundreds of citations on first day of beach closure - KHON2 - August 11th, 2020
- First Sea Turtles Of The Year Hatch On Pensacola Beach - NorthEscambia.com - August 11th, 2020
- Puerto Peasco bets on heavy restrictions in bid to reactivate tourist economy - AZCentral - August 11th, 2020
- Thousands of Palestinians enter Israel, head to beaches; soldiers turn blind eye - The Times of Israel - August 11th, 2020
- Spectacle Island is open, boasting unobstructed views and quiet beaches - The Boston Globe - August 11th, 2020
- Algae bloom at Virginia Beach Oceanfront resulting in foul smell and discolored water - WAVY.com - August 11th, 2020
- More Cape towns imposing tougher restrictions to limit beach crowds - Boston.com - August 11th, 2020
- Several Cape Cod beaches temporarily closed following great white shark sightings - The Boston Globe - August 11th, 2020
- 10 of the best beach and coast activities around the UK - The Guardian - August 11th, 2020