Kobe Bryant was a Los Angeles superstar.
But he called Newport Beach his home. It was here he raised his daughters, was involved in its schools and youth sports and made friends at the neighborhood grocery store and Starbucks.
And it was this community that saw so much loss Sunday, as the helicopter carrying Bryant, his 13-year-old daughter, Gianna, and seven others slammed into a hillside above Calabasas, killing all on board.
Also on the copter were Newport Beach residents John Altobelli; his wife, Keri; and their daughter, Alyssa, who played on the same club team as Gianna Bryant. Newport Beach mother and daughter Sarah and Payton Chester were identified by friends and family as also being on board.
The tightknit community was also grieving the death of Christina Mauser, the top assistant coach of the Mamba girls basketball team, whose players included Gianna Bryant and Alyssa Altobelli. Mauser had worked at Harbor Day School in nearby Corona del Mar from 2007 to 2018, where she and her husband coached the eighth-grade girls basketball team to its first championship.
The day after the crash, two young girls dressed in Lakers purple and gold dropped flowers off at a bench outside the school, adding to a makeshift memorial that has sprouted over the last day. The Bryant family was active at the private school, where two of Bryants daughters attended.
Two bouquets propped up under the schools entrance sign were left with letters, one addressed to Gigi, Mr. Bryant and Mrs. Mauser, Forever in our Hearts and the other To Mr. Bryant, Gigi and Mrs. Mauser, Our 3 Angels.
Harbor Day School officials described Gianna, who started attending the school in kindergarten, as a strong leader whose work ethic was unmatched. She had a level of maturity beyond her 13 years, officials wrote in a statement.
This loss is indescribable; as is the loss of her father who was a respected and active member of the school community, said Noelle Becker, director of communications at Harbor Day School. Our students took great pride in seeing Mr. Bryant on campus regularly.
The school on Monday issued a statement about the collective loss:
To support our grieving community, last night ... Harbor Day opened its doors to the eighth grade class to come together at school to support each other and receive support from their advisors, teachers, and mental health professionals, including our school psychologist. We are grateful to our neighboring schools who sent their counselors to our school last night and whose counselors will remain on campus today and this week to support our students.
A vigil participant relights a candle for Kobe Bryant at Newport Ridge Community Park in Newport Beach on Sunday.
Maria Paun, 81, used her walker to deliver an assortment of pink flowers to the front of the school, depositing them on a bench. It was years ago, she said, that she sat with Bryant on a bench at the school when he was waiting to pick up one of his daughters and she was waiting for her granddaughter.
He gave me a hug and he said, I like your accent, Grandma, she said. He was tall, and he was somebody and Im nobody, but he bent down to give me a hug. And I never forget this hug.
Paun said it was no accident that she wore a purple sweater Monday morning. She did so because he liked the color.
Its hard for me, and its hard for everyone, she said, her voice cracking with emotion.
During a vigil Sunday night, Bryants fellow Newport Beach residents spoke of the athletes life outside of his storied NBA career. He was, first and foremost, a dedicated father whose love for his family was apparent to anyone who came across him, friends say. He was also the type of man whose fame never got in the way of his sharing a warm greeting at Starbucks or the grocery store.
Mario Nunes, 50, hung his Kobe Bryant jersey from one of the tables in front of the Pavilions grocery store on Newport Coast Drive, which Bryant was known to frequent, on Monday. Nunes, a job trainer with the Rehabilitation Institute of Southern California, said he used to see Bryant at the store every few weeks. Nunes was quick to whip out his phone to show some of the pictures hed taken with Bryant over the years, including one he said was from shortly after the Lakers last championship in 2010.
He was always cool with me, he said. He was always friendly. He signed a couple basketballs here and there.
Michael Young, 40, said he also saw Bryant periodically during the three years hes worked as a courtesy clerk at the grocery store. When he heard the news about Bryants death, Young said his first reaction was tears.
He brought a lot of good energy a lot of positive energy, a lot of good stuff for the community, Nunes said.
Both Young and Nunes said the shock of seeing the superstar in the flesh never completely wore off, no matter how many times he came to the grocery store or made a run to the Starbucks in the same shopping complex.
Its like hes still here, Young said. His spirit is all around us.
Kim Shipman placed a votive candle in a delicate filigreed holder on the pavers not far from the parks basketball court and recalled how friendly and gracious Bryant was.
Every time that we would run into him at Starbucks, he always had the biggest smile on his face. He was always so kind and always so loving to the children more than anything, she said, her 10-year-old-daughter, Angeline, at her side. He was such a great encourager to everybody around, always with a big smile on his face.
Crystal Alford said everyone should follow Bryants lead and say hello to people they dont know.
Thats what he did, she said. He said hi to everyone.
Originally posted here:
- Local beaches were packed as COVID-19 scare sends folks outside - News965 - March 16th, 2020
- Event cancellations in the Bay Area lead many to busy beaches - FOX 13 Tampa Bay - March 16th, 2020
- People flock to beaches as other places across Tampa Bay shut down - WTSP.com - March 16th, 2020
- Drive-through coronavirus testing starts Monday in West Palm Beach - WPTV.com - March 16th, 2020
- Boris Johnson's hero is the mayor who kept the beaches open in Jaws. That's fine by me - The Guardian - March 16th, 2020
- Coronavirus Update: Jones Beach Eyed As Possible Drive-Thru Testing Site As Number Of Cases On Long Island Grows - CBS New York - March 16th, 2020
- 2 men shot in North Long Beach, police investigating it as gang-related - Long Beach Post - March 16th, 2020
- Watch The Late Layne Staley Performing With TOOL On A Beach In Oahu, 1993 - Metal Injection.net - March 16th, 2020
- Man flew to Palm Beach after positive coronavirus test: reports | TheHill - The Hill - March 16th, 2020
- Clearwater Has Much More To Offer Than Just World-Class Beaches - Forbes - February 26th, 2020
- City votes to put $10,000 toward sexual assault prevention at Beaches ahead of spring break - FirstCoastNews.com WTLV-WJXX - February 26th, 2020
- Construction begins for Acura Grand Prix of Long Beach - Long Beach Press Telegram - February 26th, 2020
- UCLA takes first Pac-12 Beach Volleyball Pair of the Week honor - Pac-12.com - February 26th, 2020
- The Winter Surfers of Rockaway Beach - The New York Times - February 26th, 2020
- Denby Fawcett: Clearing The Homeless Out Of Kuhio Beach Pavilions - Honolulu Civil Beat - February 26th, 2020
- Beach Haus Brewery: The Place to Be for Unbeatable Views of the St. Patrick's Day Parade - TAPinto.net - February 26th, 2020
- Massive desalination buoy washes up on Hobe Sound beach - WPTV.com - February 26th, 2020
- Cal State Long Beach Continues Reversing The Number Of College Dropouts - Patch.com - February 26th, 2020
- Miami Beach Chefs to be Honored At City Hall Ceremony - Miami New Times - February 26th, 2020
- Ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach Plan to collaborate on cargo operations - Logistics Management - February 26th, 2020
- Relics washed up on beaches reveal lost world beneath the North Sea - Science Magazine - January 30th, 2020
- Beach chairs, blankets and trash. Massive mess left after Trump's Wildwood rally. - NJ.com - January 30th, 2020
- Miami Beach Hires Hunting Service to Kill City's Invasive Iguanas - Miami New Times - January 30th, 2020
- Helicopter Crash Victim Alyssa Altobelli to Be Honored at Newport Beach Vigil - NBC Southern California - January 30th, 2020
- The Preservation Foundation of Palm Beach Celebrates 40 Years - Palm Beach - January 30th, 2020
- This Weekend's Long Beach Island Area Entertainment Lineup for January 30 through February 2, Presented by the Tide Table Group - TAPinto.net - January 30th, 2020
- Where to retire on the beach for $95,000 a year - msnNOW - January 30th, 2020
- One Paycheck Away: Families struggle to survive in Palm Beach County - WPTV.com - January 30th, 2020
- Wrightsville Beach and the Dread God of Fire - StarNewsOnline.com - January 30th, 2020
- Sandy Point Beach House restaurant coming to Grand Rapids - mlive.com - January 30th, 2020
- Fortnite Frozen Firework Locations: Where To Light Frozen Fireworks Found On Beaches - Forbes - January 2nd, 2020
- Australia: Thousands trapped on beach as fires approach - DW (English) - January 2nd, 2020
- Thousands of Australians flee to beaches as wildfires rage - NBCNews.com - January 2nd, 2020
- 13,000-pound buoy removed from New Smyrna Beach, taken to Ponce Inlet - WESH 2 Orlando - January 2nd, 2020
- Never-Lived-In Palm Beach Mansion Listed For $43M - Forbes - January 2nd, 2020
- Restaurant Review: It's worth braving the crowds for Sake in Vero Beach - TCPalm - January 2nd, 2020
- Beaches (1988) - IMDb - December 26th, 2019
- Beaches (film) - Wikipedia - December 26th, 2019
- Beaches (1988) - Rotten Tomatoes - December 26th, 2019
- Island Beach State Park wants to save the dunes with your old Christmas tree - NJBIZ - December 26th, 2019
- Save The Date: Sign up for the annual Adopt-A-Beach Coastal Bend Winter cleanup - KIIITV.com - December 26th, 2019
- Christmas Day means beach day when the temperature is 80 - FOX 13 Tampa Bay - December 26th, 2019
- Delray Beach police investigating woman's body found on beach - WPBF West Palm Beach - December 26th, 2019
- Death on a Portland beach: What led to an attack on a young father, what losses followed - OregonLive - December 26th, 2019
- Top stories from 2019, No. 6: Carolina Beach resident claims lifeguards and thongs in violation of town code - Port City Daily - December 26th, 2019
- 2019 in review, top stories from the year: No. 9, Feeling Cheeky in Kure Beach? [Free Read] - Port City Daily - December 26th, 2019
- Man's body found on the beach in Longboat Key - WTSP.com - December 26th, 2019
- The Story of Beach Sand Is Way More Interesting Than You Thought - TheInertia.com - December 23rd, 2019
- Ben Shipp edges Garett Reband in South Beach International Amateur playoff - Golfweek - December 23rd, 2019
- Wave goodbye: Long Beach breakwater won't be removed - Los Angeles Times - December 23rd, 2019
- Photos: Beach-cities drive pits Manhattan and Hermosa Beach in friendly competition to collect the most toys for needy - The Daily Breeze - December 23rd, 2019
- $1 billion for Briny Breezes? Real estate broker thinks Trump would buy... and residents are listening - Palm Beach Post - December 23rd, 2019
- The top 10 stories of 2019 in Long Beach - Long Beach Post - December 23rd, 2019
- 'We'll never forget this': Loved ones pay tribute to couple killed in Mastic Beach crash 1 year ago - News 12 Long Island - December 23rd, 2019
- Daytonas downtown has another major development brewing - Daytona Beach News-Journal - December 23rd, 2019
- Baghdad's 'Tahrir Beach' where the revolution takes a break - Yahoo News - December 23rd, 2019
- Dead whale found on Midland Beach; carcass will be buried there - SILive.com - December 23rd, 2019
- Wildwood to host 3-day country music festival on the beach - WHYY - December 23rd, 2019
- Five Must-Try Water Activities For Your Next Beach Vacation - Forbes - November 25th, 2019
- Beach Hazards Statement issued for beaches due to red tide - Fox 4 - November 25th, 2019
- President Trump to arrive in Palm Beach County on Tuesday - WPTV.com - November 25th, 2019
- Man, 20, killed in fiery Newport Beach crash is identified as Stanton resident - Los Angeles Times - November 25th, 2019
- Huntington Beach resident identified as one of two women killed in Westminster crash - Los Angeles Times - November 25th, 2019
- IRCSO: Vero Beach man arrested, accused of trafficking and carrying opioids - TCPalm - November 25th, 2019
- Stuart, Port St. Lucie and Vero Beach are Purple Heart cities, but what does that mean? - TCPalm - November 25th, 2019
- Wings made of conch shells on Jersey Shore beach are a heaven-sent photo op - NJ.com - November 25th, 2019
- Long Beach Man Killed in Citys 3rd Shooting in Just Over 24 Hours - KTLA Los Angeles - November 25th, 2019
- Hoops revival continues: Tulane men win 2 of 3 in Myrtle Beach, improve to 5-1 - NOLA.com - November 25th, 2019
- A Komodo dragon hit the beach wearing a turtle as a hat, and there's video evidence - INSIDER - November 25th, 2019
- Teens Confess to Vandalizing Benches at Groton Beaches: Police - NBC Connecticut - November 25th, 2019
- Jax Beach Pier closed: Work begins on 2-year project - ActionNewsJax.com - November 25th, 2019
- Vero Beach woman dies after crash; Indian River Boulevard to close for investigation - TCPalm - November 25th, 2019
- The Beach Boys top this weekend's nightlife in the Coachella Valley - Desert Sun - November 25th, 2019
- Sea of devotees throng beaches - The Hindu - November 12th, 2019
- Bricks of 'very pure' cocaine keep washing up on French beaches - New York Post - November 12th, 2019
- Trump Administration Makes It Easier to Dredge Protected Areas to Restore Beaches - The New York Times - November 12th, 2019
- Technically, This Is the Most Perfect Stretch of Beach In the World - Thrillist - November 12th, 2019
- For the 2nd day in a row, some Hawaii beaches are closed because of shark sightings - Q13 News Seattle - November 12th, 2019
- Thousands of Glorious 'Ice Eggs' Wash Up on Finnish Beach - Livescience.com - November 12th, 2019
- Lee and Collier County upgrading tools to keep SWFL beaches clean - Wink News - November 12th, 2019