(CNN) Virgin Galactic is still aiming to send tourists to space, but the space tourism company is also looking at how to whiz people across our planet as quickly as possible.
The super-fast jet will travel at Mach 3 -- three times faster than the speed of sound.
Virgin Galactic has released images of a supersonic jet design.
Courtesy Virgin Galactic
Virgin Galactic also announced this supersonic jet concept recently passed a mission concept review, which confirmed that the concept "can meet the high-level requirements and objectives of the mission."
"We are excited to complete the Mission Concept Review and unveil this initial design concept of a high speed aircraft, which we envision as blending safe and reliable commercial travel with an unrivaled customer experience," said George Whitesides, Virgin Galactic's chief space officer.
Ready for next phase
The Virgin Galactic aircraft is one of a few supersonic jet ideas currently in the design stages.
Courtesy Virgin Galactic
Virgin Galactic envisages the jet ferrying passengers on long-distance commercial air routes -- and the idea is its interior could accommodate custom cabin layouts, including business or first class seating.
The jet would take off and land in the regular way.
The concept is now ready to progress to the next phase of design, which Virgin Galactic says will involve defining the specifics of how the aircraft will operate, not to mention looking at potential challenges including maintenance, noise, emissions and economics.
"We have made great progress so far, and we look forward to opening up a new frontier in high speed travel," added Whitesides.
Other jets in the works
This isn't the only supersonic jet in creation.
Another concept in development is AS2. The brainchild of US company Aerion Corporation, the AS2 would travel at Mach 1.4.
Read the original post:
- 'Away' on Netflix: How close it gets to real Mars space travel - Los Angeles Times - September 8th, 2020
- The 'Mighty Mice' That Went To Space Could Help Protect Astronauts' Muscles And Bones - CBS Sacramento - September 8th, 2020
- Top 10 books about space travel - The Guardian - September 8th, 2020
- Space travel on the far horizon - Tennis World USA - September 8th, 2020
- Netflix's Away perfectly captures the boring reality of space travel - Wired.co.uk - September 8th, 2020
- Who is this moron, flying around?: A short history of our disillusionment with space travel - Prospect - September 8th, 2020
- The 'mighty mice' that went to space could help protect astronauts' muscles and bones - FOX10 News - September 8th, 2020
- Cosmonaut Brain Scans Show Space Does Weird Things to Motor Skills And Vision - ScienceAlert - September 8th, 2020
- Mission Gaganyaan: Training Indias Astronauts for Space Travel - The Quint - September 8th, 2020
- 'Away': Hilary Swank series should be much better than it is - Newsday - September 8th, 2020
- What Is It Like to Actually Parent From Space? - Yahoo Lifestyle - September 8th, 2020
- German rocket start-up inaugurates production site in Bavaria - The Star Online - September 8th, 2020
- A NASA Warp Drive Could Be a Reality in the Distant Future - Interesting Engineering - September 8th, 2020
- UK's big advantage that will spark European dominance in post-Brexit space tourism - Daily Express - September 8th, 2020
- Nashville eyes sidewalk dining as a tool to keep restaurants afloat. Could the idea outlast COVID-19? - Tennessean - September 8th, 2020
- How will language change if humans travel the stars? - Slate - September 6th, 2020
- Looking ahead to Mars base, Elon Musk says theres a good chance astronauts could die there - SYFY WIRE - September 6th, 2020
- Netflix's 'Away' Imagines a Future in Which Going to Mars Is Possible - Thrillist - September 6th, 2020
- When It Comes to Virgin Galactic Stock, There Is Absolutely No Rush to Jump In - InvestorPlace - September 6th, 2020
- The Wiggles Address Modes of Travel, Togetherness - GeekDad - September 6th, 2020
- 2020 is the year of the SPAC yet traditional IPOs offer better returns, report finds - MarketWatch - September 6th, 2020
- Making Space: The Female Frontier spotlights the women who shaped space exploration - CNET - September 2nd, 2020
- 10 Interesting Behind-The-Scenes Facts From The Netflix Space Drama Away - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- The NASA Innovative Advanced Concepts Is Funding Some Out of This World Ideas - Interesting Engineering - September 2nd, 2020
- Here are 9 great Netflix short documentaries to watch for inspiration - Yahoo! Voices - September 2nd, 2020
- WATCH | What happens to time when you travel at the speed of light? - Health24 - September 2nd, 2020
- There's a Theory Beyond Relativity That Would Allow You to Fly Through a Wormhole - ScienceAlert - September 2nd, 2020
- Northcoast Veterans Museum looking to expand in Gibonburg - The News-Messenger - September 2nd, 2020
- What CMOs Need To Know About Space Marketing - Forbes - August 25th, 2020
- Could carbon-foam probes bring interstellar flight within reach? - Space.com - August 25th, 2020
- Germs from space could cause havoc in human bodies - Health24 - August 25th, 2020
- Travel: South Side of the Space Coast - Orlando Magazine - August 25th, 2020
- #SpaceWatchGL Opinion: German space policy: the need for a strategy and a corresponding legislation - SpaceWatch.Global - August 25th, 2020
- Neil deGrasse Tyson Reveals the Wonders of Space, and His Personal Space at Home - Mansion Global - August 25th, 2020
- This NASA Animation Shows What It's Really Like to Travel Close to The Speed of Light - ScienceAlert - August 25th, 2020
- Virgin Galactic Just Got $460 Million Reasons to Stay the Course - InvestorPlace - August 25th, 2020
- What you need to buy if you have to get on a plane right now - CNN - August 25th, 2020
- Spider-Woman is Heading To Space With Captain Marvel - Screen Rant - August 25th, 2020
- There's No Logic in Buying Virgin Galactic Stock - InvestorPlace - August 25th, 2020
- 'Go home and hug and kiss your loved ones,' lake tragedy mother tells funeral - Independent.ie - August 25th, 2020
- Friday essay: vizards, face gloves and window hoods a history of masks in western fashion - The Conversation AU - August 25th, 2020
- The Final Frontier: Space Stocks To Watch - Trefis - August 10th, 2020
- As The Agents Of SHIELD Finale Looms, Remembering Its Impressive Achievement - Forbes - August 10th, 2020
- Places That May Make You Feel Like You're Traveling in Space - Peter Greenberg.com Travel News - August 10th, 2020
- In space, bacteria is even more deadly and resilient to antibiotics - The Next Web - August 10th, 2020
- The Martian' movie's toilet tuber could happen: NASA testing machine that turns poop into veggie fertilizer - SYFY WIRE - August 10th, 2020
- Virgin Galactic's Supersonic Jet Is a Commercial Failure in the Making - The Motley Fool - August 10th, 2020
- What leaders can learn from astronauts to build more connected remote teams - Business Insider - Business Insider - August 10th, 2020
- Mission to the Red Planet from NASA in Alabama - AL.com - August 10th, 2020
- Deflated Croissant Uncovering the True Shape of Our Solar System - SciTechDaily - August 10th, 2020
- With Her Restaurant Forced to Close, Sat Kampars Chef Pivots to Pop-Ups - Eater Philly - August 10th, 2020
- Sims 4 new game pack theories and hints: Underwater? Star Wars? Space? - Extra Time Media - August 10th, 2020
- 24 Classic Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books To Read Based On Your Favorite Star Trek Character - Star Trek - August 10th, 2020
- The Science of It: Space Travel - WESH 2 Orlando - August 10th, 2020
- The Science Books We're Reading in Fall 2020 - Discover Magazine - August 10th, 2020
- Star Trek: Where Kirk Is During Discovery Season 1 & 2 Revealed - Screen Rant - August 10th, 2020
- Virgin Galactic partners with Rolls-Royce as it looks to build an aircraft for supersonic air travel - CNBC - August 9th, 2020
- Forget SpaceX: Invest in This Instead - Wealth Daily - August 9th, 2020
- Wawa Puts Kids Meals on the Menu Across Its Network - CSNews Online - August 9th, 2020
- Is Interstellar Travel Really Possible? | Space - August 9th, 2020
- Interstellar travel - Wikipedia - August 9th, 2020
- Space Tourism: 5 Space Companies That Will Make You An ... - August 9th, 2020
- The 12 Greatest Challenges for Space Exploration | WIRED - August 9th, 2020
- SpaceX return: How Nasa astronauts' splashdown has changed the future of space travel - The Independent - August 9th, 2020
- 56 Countries Gather Online In Their Quest To Fix Climate Change - CleanTechnica - August 9th, 2020
- Don't you wish you could fly free like this beautiful space butterfly? - Mashable - August 9th, 2020
- Wawa Soars to New Heights with Kids Meals Landing in All Stores this August - GlobeNewswire - August 9th, 2020
- Rocket center launches mission to save space camp - Theredstonerocket - August 8th, 2020
- Uncovering the shape of the Solar System - Space Daily - August 8th, 2020
- Space and Rocket Centers world record rocket launch is official - WHNT News 19 - August 7th, 2020
- Welcome back to Planet Earth and thank you for flying SpaceX - Central Coast Community News - August 7th, 2020
- Don't You Wish You Could Fly Free Like This Beautiful Space Butterfly? - Mashable India - August 7th, 2020
- ATLANTIC SKIES: Young astronomers and the Perseid meteors - SaltWire Network - August 7th, 2020
- What Indias Space Activities Bill must address - Asia Times - August 7th, 2020
- Chinas Space Silk Road reaches Mars and beyond - Asia Times - August 7th, 2020
- Wawa launches new Kids Meals that come with an entree, side and trading cards - pennlive.com - August 7th, 2020
- Review: 'Lovecraft Country' HBO vs. 100 years of racist sci-fi - Los Angeles Times - August 7th, 2020
- Can We Outrun Dark Energy In The Race To See The Universe? - Forbes - August 5th, 2020
- Inside The Virgin Galactic Spacecraft That Aims To Take You To Space - Tatler Philippines - August 5th, 2020
- What the airplane cabin of the future might look like - CNN - August 5th, 2020