One of the not-so-small gifts of living in a representative democracy is that you cant accomplish things alone. Whether youre trying to get a stop sign put up on a dangerous corner or to change US policy on greenhouse gas emissions, you have to reach out to others. And learning how to persuade, motivate, and involve them learning the skills of active citizenship, in other words makes this a stronger, more resilient country.
So I want to make a case for building and using those skills by tackling the issues right in front of us. We all live in communities that we know better than anyone who doesnt live there including the policy makers who every day make decisions on larger issues that affect our lives there. Who better than those who live in a particular community to step up, identify its problems, and then work to solve them?
Dont get me wrong. There are battles aplenty on the big issues of health care, education, the role of government, tax policy, foreign policy These matter, and they require the attention of ordinary citizens as well as of political leaders and policy makers.
But so does improving the quality of life where we live. As a member of Congress, I was constantly impressed by the issues constituents wanted addressed: they were usually linked in some way to the larger issues we took up on Capitol Hill, but always approached with the unique perspective of the particular community.
These approaches ranged widely. One groups purpose was to upgrade railroad warning lights, after too many accidents at crossings spurred them on. In a drought-stricken community, residents came together to manage the use of water in their watershed. Schools were a constant concern, as parents struggled to make sure that bright kids could be challenged while kids who were struggling or in some other way disadvantaged got opportunities to find a path to success. Hospital emergency rooms, roads and bridges, community centers and programs for the elderly All of these commanded attention from ordinary people who identified the problem, gathered allies, debated tactics, and found a way to make their communities better.
Often these were people who were not closely connected with politics or government. They just wanted to improve something in their community, so they learned how the system works, and then learned how to make it work to help them accomplish their goals. Some of them, over time, became community leaders and moved on to school boards, city councils, and state legislatures after honing their democratic skills by working on problems of immediate concern. Others went back to their lives, pleased that theyd improved one aspect of their neighbors lives.
I came to see these examples as the wellspring of representative democracy.
To be sure, even at the local level, things can get complicated. It used to puzzle me when someone would come forward with an idea to improve a water system or a sewer system, and just as quickly opposition would pop up. Often this was because improvement required change including, sometimes, a tax increase. And there will always be voices for leaving things be. But thats the nature of the democratic process: change deserves debate, and learning to marshal facts, find and work with allies, and ultimately sway public opinion is part and parcel of living in the system we enjoy.
The more people are willing to do this, the more confident we can be that the answer to Lincolns question at Gettysburg can this nation long endure is Yes. It works if citizens step up to address the needs and conditions they face. Participating in the process challenges us to make our case, develop our skills of persuasion, and become better at speaking, listening, building consensus, and being an engaged member of a community.
These are the bedrock skills on which democracy rests, and the more of us who possess them, the stronger our system will be. Nothing in public life gave me greater pleasure than to see citizens in action.
Lee Hamilton is a senior advisor for the Indiana University Center on Representative Government; a distinguished scholar at the I.U. Hamilton Lugar School of Global and International Studies; and a professor of practice at the I.U. ONeill School of Public and Environmental Affairs. He was a member of the U.S. House of Representatives for 34 years.For information about the educational resources and programs, visit website at corg.indiana.edu. or like" Indiana University Center on Representative Government on Facebook.
- In memoriam: The victims of progress - Observer Online - November 13th, 2019
- Archbishop reports on progress of document on marriage and family life - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - November 13th, 2019
- Colin Kaepernick workout shows the NFL is finally making real progress and getting it right - CBSSports.com - November 13th, 2019
- Microsoft workers say it's making progress on diversity - Engadget - November 13th, 2019
- Etihad Airways Making Steady Progress On Predictive Maintenance - MRO Network - November 13th, 2019
- DELL Technologies Summit Promises Real Progress in the next "Data Decade" - KEYE TV CBS Austin - November 13th, 2019
- Another Reason For Progress Readers To Get In Shape - mvprogress - November 13th, 2019
- Baseball stadium progress ahead of team name announcement - KAKE - November 13th, 2019
- With Lebanon Making Fragile Progress, Now Is the Wrong Time to Pull U.S. Assistance - Lawfare - November 13th, 2019
- One Thing To Remember About The Progress Software Corporation (NASDAQ:PRGS) Share Price - Simply Wall St - November 13th, 2019
- Plans progress to bring Exeter Hospital medical building to Raymond - The Union Leader - November 13th, 2019
- Lots of news, little price progress - Farm and Dairy - November 13th, 2019
- Mike Hopkins: we will speed up our progress by slowing down - 247Sports - November 13th, 2019
- Sources: After conversation with James Dolan, Knicks execs under impression jobs safe if team shows progress this season - SNY.tv - November 13th, 2019
- Spurs show they are still a work in progress in failed comeback attempt against the Grizzlies - Pounding The Rock - November 13th, 2019
- Dak headed to tag after no progress on deal - NFL.com - November 13th, 2019
- Death Stranding Review-In-Progress: The Slog Of Slogs - Forbes - November 13th, 2019
- Fire crews stop progress of brush fire that sent smoke billowing near Hollywood sign - USA TODAY - November 13th, 2019
- Work in Progress: Its Time You Get to Know Abby McEnany, So Let Her Introduce Herself Watch - IndieWire - November 13th, 2019
- John Carmack says he's not 'satisfied with the pace of progress' in VR development - PC Gamer - November 13th, 2019
- Djokovic must beat Federer to progress at ATP Finals after defeat to Thiem - Yahoo Movies UK - November 13th, 2019
- U.S. Slowing But Growing With Soft Landing in Progress, Wells Fargo Says - Bloomberg - November 13th, 2019
- Libra's co-creator at Facebook touts progress after an exodus of key backers of the crypto coin - CNBC - October 16th, 2019
- Watch 76ers' Ben Simmons Discuss the Progress of His Jumper: I'm Getting Better - Bleacher Report - October 16th, 2019
- GM CEO meets with UAW negotiators, another sign of progress ahead of union leadership meeting - CNN - October 16th, 2019
- California and New York Show the Ugly Face of Progress - The Wall Street Journal - October 16th, 2019
- Progress Partners Advises travAlliancemedia on Its Sale to Northstar Travel Group - Business Wire - October 16th, 2019
- Schiff: 'Dramatic Progress' in Impeachment Inquiry, As Intel Committee Does the Job of Special Counsel - CNSNews.com - October 16th, 2019
- Amarna Therapeutics Raises 10 million to Progress lead Development Candidate into Clinical Trials and Appoints a new Supervisory Board - Business Wire - October 16th, 2019
- Most Chicago-area rivers continue to fall some flooding still in progress - WGN TV Chicago - October 16th, 2019
- Sons of Italy progress - KETV Omaha - October 16th, 2019
- NYCFC making progress on and off the pitch - MDJOnline.com - October 16th, 2019
- ASN: The Nightmare in Toronto reveals little progress in Berhalter's first year - AmericanSoccerNow.com - October 16th, 2019
- It Looks Like it's Working! NASA InSight's Mole is Making Progress Again Thanks to the Arm Scoop Hack - Universe Today - October 16th, 2019
- Sports Pistons still in the murky middle, hoping to show progress 10:55 AM, Oct 16 - WXYZ - October 16th, 2019
- World in Progress: How to feed the world in times of Climate Change - Deutsche Welle - October 16th, 2019
- Chicago-area rivers continue to fall some flooding still in progress - WGN TV Chicago - October 16th, 2019
- Dont get too excited about progress on Trumps greatest and biggest deal ever - MarketWatch - October 16th, 2019
- Review Of The First Progress Platinum Elite Mastercard Secured Credit Card - LowCards.com - October 16th, 2019
- The residential colleges: progress or problem? - The Vanderbilt Hustler - October 16th, 2019
- Professor: Progress Toward Warp Drive Has Been "Enormous" - Futurism - October 16th, 2019
- Good talk: 3D printing leaders weigh in on additive's progress - The Fabricator - October 16th, 2019
- Earthquake retrofits Bay Area making progress, but still more to do - San Francisco Chronicle - October 16th, 2019
- Highways England using drones to monitor progress on major road schemes - Traffic Technology Today - October 16th, 2019
- USA Gymnastics making progress on reform, but status remains uncertain with Tokyo looming - IndyStar - October 16th, 2019
- Portland housing report shows progress, but gap in affordability persists - Press Herald - October 16th, 2019
- Union, City Making Progress in Talks to Avoid Chicago Teachers Union Strike - NBC Chicago - October 16th, 2019
- UK Football: Eddie Gran happy with progress of Sawyer Smith - A Sea Of Blue - October 16th, 2019
- European Work in Progress Cologne 2019 hands out its awards - Cineuropa - October 16th, 2019
- Lawyers push for progress on suits over 2014 explosion near Santa Paula - VC Star - October 16th, 2019
- Rabies Webinar -- An update on recent progress in human rabies prevention recommendations - World Health Organization - September 25th, 2019
- Orioles See Progress Amid Another 100-Loss Season - Forbes - September 25th, 2019
- Murdock sees progress but still more room for improvement on southern border visit - East Oregonian - September 25th, 2019
- What Dak Prescott's one mistake vs. Miami says about his progress, Dallas' defense finally emerges, and more -- Your Cowboys Catch-Up - The Dallas... - September 25th, 2019
- Stories of change: countries making progress towards universal health coverage - World Health Organization - September 25th, 2019
- Darnold making progress - Albany Times Union - September 25th, 2019
- State report points to progress in graduation rates, mixed results locally - Johnson City Press (subscription) - September 25th, 2019
- Brexit weekly briefing: no evidence of progress on deal despite claims - The Guardian - September 25th, 2019
- Minnesota Crop Progress & Condition Update | The Mighty 790 KFGO - KFGO News - September 25th, 2019
- UNDP, UNFCCC Global Outlook Report Assesses Progress Ahead of Five-year Paris Milestone | News - IISD Reporting Services - September 25th, 2019
- Wheres My Roy Cohn? Review: A Fixers Progress - The New York Times - September 25th, 2019
- Progress on the opioid crisis - Portsmouth Daily Times - September 25th, 2019
- VIDEO: OHA Hears About Puna's Kilauea Eruption Recovery Progress - Big Island Video News - September 25th, 2019
- One Year In, El Pueblo Shelter Sees Steady Progress - LA Downtown News Online - September 25th, 2019
- 2020 NFL Draft: Justin Herbert Continues to Progress - With the First Pick - September 25th, 2019
- "We're still a work in progress." - ABC 36 News - WTVQ - September 25th, 2019
- Musk Shares the Latest Progress on the Starship Prototypes - Universe Today - September 25th, 2019
- Total Action for Progress has a fathers first program - WFXRtv.com - September 25th, 2019
- The Cleveland Browns Are a Work in Progress - The Ringer - September 25th, 2019
- Injured Twins Max Kepler, Ehire Adrianza making progress - St. Paul Pioneer Press - September 25th, 2019
- Purdue coach Jeff Brohm says QB Elijah Sindelar is making progress in concussion recovery - Saturday Tradition - September 25th, 2019
- Orioles front office pleased with progress, fan support during trying season - NBCSports.com - September 25th, 2019
- Bill Belichick: Jakob Johnsons progress has been remarkable - NBCSports.com - September 25th, 2019
- White Sox SS Tim Andersons defense continues to be work in progress: Weve got work to do - Chicago Sun-Times - September 25th, 2019
- Illinois Crop Progress for week ending Sept. 22 | News - Agri News - September 25th, 2019
- Trump Celebrates Progress on Border Wall With Hundreds of Miles to Go - Newsweek - September 25th, 2019
- 270 Park Avenue's Shrouded Demolition Making Progress in Midtown East - New York YIMBY - September 25th, 2019
- Progress on recovering missing troops, but still a daunting task ahead - Military Times - September 25th, 2019
- Paris Agreement progress: a look at the climate goals so far - GOOD - September 25th, 2019
- Croatia's Homeland Security System Makes Huge Progress? - Total Croatia News - September 25th, 2019