WASHINGTON - Lawmakers participating in rare weekend talks on a huge coronavirus relief measure reported progress Saturday, as political pressure mounted to restore a newly expired $600-per-week supplemental unemployment benefit and send funding to help schools reopen.
``This was the longest meeting we had and it was more productive than the other meetings,'' said Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y. ``We're not close yet, but it was a productive discussion now each side knows where they're at."
Schumer spoke alongside House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., after meeting for three hours with Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin and White House chief of staff Mark Meadows.
Schumer said the officials would meet Monday and their staffs would meet Sunday.
The Democratic duo is eager for an expansive agreement, as are President Donald Trump and top Republicans like Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky. But perhaps one-half of Senate Republicans, mostly conservatives and those not facing difficult races this fall, are likely to oppose any deal.
Prior talks yielded little progress. The administration is willing to extend the $600 jobless benefit, at least in the short term, but is balking at other Democratic demands like aid for state and local governments, food stamp increases, and assistance to renters and homeowners.
Food aid, vote by mail
Pelosi mentioned food aid and funding for voting by mail after the negotiating session was over. She and Schumer appeared more upbeat than they have after earlier meetings.
``We have to get rid of this virus so that we can open our economy, safely open our schools, and to do so in a way that does not give a cut in benefits to American workers,`` Pelosi said.
Mnuchin said restoring the $600 supplemental jobless benefit was critically important to Trump.
``We're still a long ways apart and I don't want to suggest that a deal is imminent, because it is not,`` Meadows said afterward. ``There are still substantial differences, but we did make good progress."
The additional jobless benefit officially lapsed Friday, and Democrats have made clear that they will not extend it without securing other relief priorities. Whatever unemployment aid negotiators agree on will be made retroactive but antiquated state systems are likely to take weeks to restore the benefits.
A step back
Republicans in the Senate had been fighting to trim the $600 benefit, saying it must be slashed so that people don't make more in unemployment than they would if they returned to work. But their resolve weakened as the benefit expired, and Trump abruptly undercut their position by signaling he wants to keep the full $600 for now.
On Friday, Trump used Twitter to explicitly endorse extending the $600 payment and to criticize Schumer.
Washington's top power players agree that Congress must pass further relief in the coming days and weeks. At stake beyond the $600-per-week jobless benefit is a fresh $1,200 direct payment to most Americans, and hundreds of billions of dollars in other aid to states, businesses and the poor, among other elements.
Democrats hold a strong negotiating hand exploiting GOP divisions and they are expected to deliver a necessary trove of votes.
The COVID package will be the fifth legislative response to the pandemic and could well be the last one before the November election. The only other must-pass legislation on the agenda is a stopgap spending measure that should advance in September.
Since May, Republicans controlling the Senate had kept the relief negotiations on pause, in a strategy aimed at reducing its price tag. But as the pandemic surged back over the summer and as fractures inside the GOP have eroded the party's negotiating position Republicans displayed some greater flexibility.
Even with signs of progress in the talks, the list of items to negotiate remains daunting.
Democrats, for example, are pressing hard for a boost in food stamp benefits. Republicans added $20 billion for agribusinesses but nothing for greater food stamp benefits in their $1 trillion proposal. Meadows played a role in killing an increase in food aid during talks on the $2 trillion relief bill in March.
``Traditionally we've had a partnership between farms and families, and they've consistently broken that,'' said Senator Debbie Stabenow of Michigan, the top Democrat on the Senate Agriculture Committee.
See original here:
- Progress at Fort Ritchie in Cascade, Maryland | Washington County - Washington County Government - July 12th, 2021
- To make climate progress, we need to balance the economy with sustainability - Anchorage Daily News - July 12th, 2021
- Governor Newsom Holds Virtual Discussion with Leading Climate Scientists on State's Progress Toward Carbon Neutrality | California Governor - Office... - July 12th, 2021
- World Population Day 2021 Setbacks in Development and Family Planning Slow Progress Along the Demographic Transition - New Security Beat - July 12th, 2021
- Progress Announces Winners of The Worthy Web Hackathon - GlobeNewswire - July 12th, 2021
- What Gabe Kapler said about Joey Barts progress from last season - Santa Cruz Sentinel - July 12th, 2021
- NASAs Helicopter and Rover Make New Progress on Mars - VOA Learning English - July 12th, 2021
- After Another Strong Run, Wolfe Making Progress - SPEED SPORT - SPEED SPORT - July 12th, 2021
- Vanderbilt wins Governors Environmental Stewardship Award for energy and renewable resources progress - Vanderbilt University News - July 12th, 2021
- Teagues time running out to illustrate any AFL progress at Carlton - The Guardian - July 12th, 2021
- Mentor Officer Safety, Wellness program 'making good progress' after one year - News-Herald.com - July 12th, 2021
- Purdue Deal Comes Amid Progress on Opioid Litigation. What to Expect Next. - Barron's - July 12th, 2021
- Gene therapy for sickle cell disease: progress and competition - BioPharma Dive - July 12th, 2021
- Letter to the editor: Progress on Turtle Creek - TribLIVE - July 12th, 2021
- The Facts on Pattern-or-Practice Investigations - Center For American Progress - Center For American Progress - July 12th, 2021
- Commissioners get updated on progress of comprehensive plans - Norfolk Daily News - July 12th, 2021
- Research Updates: Making Progress on an 'Antibiotic Nightmare' - UPJ Athletics - July 12th, 2021
- Disappointment with P11 in Austria a sign of Williams' progress, says team boss Capito - Formula 1 RSS UK - July 12th, 2021
- Quintana Roo has made considerable reactivation progress with 90 percent of projects resuming says governor - Riviera Maya News - July 12th, 2021
- Hundreds of unsheltered homeless living in downtown Austin the progress on Prop B - KXAN.com - July 12th, 2021
- Little progress seen in Texas refinery lockout talks - Reuters - July 12th, 2021
- Ken Paxton Named "Enemy of Progress" by DC Watchdog Group - Dallas Observer - July 12th, 2021
- These Countries Are Making Progress on the 4-Day Working Week - Tatler Singapore - July 12th, 2021
- Local business thrives at Philipsburg Fest, cruise-in - Clearfield Progress - July 12th, 2021
- Fear, uncertainty and doubt - Vaccine hesitancy could put progress against covid-19 at risk | Briefing - The Economist - February 11th, 2021
- Electronic Health Records: VA Has Made Progress in Preparing for New System, but Subsequent Test Findings Will Need to Be Addressed - Government... - February 11th, 2021
- David James highlights progress, challenges of the last year in Akron State of the Schools - Akron Beacon Journal - February 11th, 2021
- Progress made at Curative vaccination site inside the Eastfield Mall - WWLP.com - February 11th, 2021
- Voting Law Bills Start To Progress Through The Georgia Legislature | 90.1 FM WABE - WABE 90.1 FM - February 11th, 2021
- Pa. updates on COVID vaccinations progress as 1000-plus Berks residents added to the inoculation rolls - Reading Eagle - February 11th, 2021
- CCRTA updated on lumberjack portion of the More in May event - Clearfield Progress - February 11th, 2021
- 2021 poised to see major progress in the movement for Right to Repair - State PIRGs - February 11th, 2021
- While vaccination progress improving, 'we can be better,' Reynolds says - The Gazette - February 11th, 2021
- Progress in driving COVID-19 numbers down in Wisconsin could be 'undone' by new variants - Madison.com - February 11th, 2021
- Dedham Praises Police Therapy Dog Ruby On Training Progress - Patch.com - February 11th, 2021
- LA Kings: Defensive injuries progress is best news for team - Rink Royalty - February 11th, 2021
- Four buildings up, more to come: Bellport complex making progress on Atlantic Avenue - Long Island Advance - February 11th, 2021
- Gov. Mike DeWine on Ohio's COVID-19 vaccine progress: 'We hope to be vaccinating everyone by this summer' - WKYC.com - February 11th, 2021
- Mr. Johnny will always be special to our heart - Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal - February 11th, 2021
- US and Japan are 'making progress' on military support agreement, State Department says - Stars and Stripes - February 11th, 2021
- Long Beach exceeds 50K cases of COVID-19 as vaccinations progress - Long Beach Post - February 11th, 2021
- Red Sox Making Progress On Deal With Hirokazu Sawamura - MLB Trade Rumors - February 11th, 2021
- New data shines light on student achievement progress and gaps in California and US - EdSource - February 11th, 2021
- Setbacks And Progress Of 2 Minnesota Boys Dealing With Rare COVID-Related Syndrome, MIS-C - CBS Minnesota - February 11th, 2021
- The winter COVID surge has reversed progress on economic inequality - Axios - February 11th, 2021
- British pound hits highest level in over two years on Brexit trade deal progress - CNBC - December 16th, 2020
- Eduardo Rodriguez shows off progress in throwing session - RADIO.COM - December 16th, 2020
- Virgin Hyperloop and Tucker County Commission discusses the benefits and progress of the project - WBOY.com - December 16th, 2020
- A year of erased progress in the workplace - Axios - December 16th, 2020
- UPDATE 2-Progress on Brexit but coming days will be critical, says EU chief - Reuters - December 16th, 2020
- Facts and Secrets About Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress - Inside the Magic - December 16th, 2020
- Progress on Brexit but coming days will be critical, says EU chief - Reuters - December 16th, 2020
- DOH updates website to reflect vaccination progress; addresses difference in positivity rate information for state, counties - KELOLAND.com - December 16th, 2020
- What to Know in Washington: Leaders Make Progress on Aid Deal - Bloomberg Government - December 16th, 2020
- The progress of surveillance of schistosomiasis in China - On Health - BMC Blogs Network - December 16th, 2020
- Real Progress Is Possible On Vaccine Hesitancy - Kaiser Family Foundation - December 16th, 2020
- Virtually monitoring progress and collecting information during remote education for students with disabilities - NJ Spotlight - December 16th, 2020
- World Grand Prix 2020: Ronnie O'Sullivan continues progress with convincing win over Barry Hawkins - Eurosport COM - December 16th, 2020
- Call of Duty Season 1 ranking system reset, explained: What progress carries over after update? - Sporting News - December 16th, 2020
- Atento: Turnaround In Progress With 100%+ Potential Upside And A Catalyst - Seeking Alpha - December 16th, 2020
- Pier 57 deemed safe to reopen as progress is made on Pier 58 removal - MyNorthwest.com - December 16th, 2020
- UN makes progress on 'greening the blue' - UN News - December 16th, 2020
- AnPac Bio Makes Significant Progress in Detecting Pre-cancer Diseases and Recorded Over 20 Types of Pre-cancer Diseases - Yahoo Finance - December 16th, 2020
- Health Financing Progress Matrix Launch Event - World Health Organization - December 16th, 2020
- In narrow win, Michigan reaps the rewards of Dickinson's progress - UM Hoops - December 16th, 2020
- No overnight transformation, but Huskers' WR group showing steady signs of progress in recent weeks - Lincoln Journal Star - December 16th, 2020
- Texas still a work in progress on offense and defense - Houston Chronicle - October 23rd, 2020
- Little progress on disputed Abyei region between Sudan and South Sudan - UN News - October 23rd, 2020
- UPDATE: Little Progress from Trump's EPA on Toxic 'Forever Chemicals' - Environmental Working Group - October 23rd, 2020
- Military families are seeing some progress in their fight for tenant rights - Military Times - October 23rd, 2020
- Shanghai Free Trade Zone makes impressive progress over 7 years - PRNewswire - October 23rd, 2020
- Chicago Bears' O-line continues to be work in progress - Chicago Daily Herald - October 23rd, 2020
- Coronavirus Progress: Owners Of 122-Year-Old Movie Theater On Long Island Excited To Finally Be Allowed To Reopen - CBS New York - October 23rd, 2020
- Washington State mailbag: Gauging the progress of new offensive/defensive systems in Pullman & how will uniforms be chosen this year? - The... - October 23rd, 2020
- On The Money: Pelosi cites progress, but says COVID-19 relief deal might be post-election | Eviction crisis sparked by pandemic disproportionately... - October 23rd, 2020
- Homeowners feel there's too much progress happening across the Piedmont Triad - myfox8.com - October 23rd, 2020
- With Nod to Industry Progress, CFPB Seeks Feedback on Data Access Regs - ABA Banking Journal - October 23rd, 2020
- Progress in fight against child poverty could be wiped out by Covid, says report - The Guardian - October 23rd, 2020
- 49ers' Jordan Reed and K'Waun Williams showing progress during rehabs - 49ers Webzone - October 23rd, 2020
- Pledges and progress: Steps toward greenhouse gas emissions reductions in the 100 largest cities across the United States - Brookings Institution - October 23rd, 2020