Now is the time when we anticipated harvest news of small crops to stoke a market rally. There is no shortage of news. There is a shortage of bullish enthusiasm.
The Nov. 8 U.S. Department of Agriculture reports were hoped to contain results from actual field surveys that would challenge traders ideas about crop size and change prices. In fact, USDA numbers changed little, and the market remains stagnant. Analysts have been shy about predicting large changes to crop yields.
There has been talk that there is a published number that represents the guess of the USDA number, then a private estimate that is more of a true analyst estimate of crop size.
How did it come out? USDA did reduce the corn yield a whopping 1.4 bushels per acre to 167 bpa. That was a half-bushel below the official average trade guess, but still seven or eight bushels above what analysts talk about privately.
The USDA did not change the soybean yield at all, leaving it at 46.9 bpa. Private talk has that at 45 bpa, but the average published trade guess was at 46.6 bpa. Also suspect is the USDAs harvested acres estimate. We had 81.7 million acres last year, and are expected to harvest 81.8 million this year.
Actually, we will not know how prevented planting and abandoned acres affect the final acres until the January inventory report. The USDA numbers landed on the market with no real result. We traded down into the report, maybe anticipating a bounce out of it. The bounce did not come, and now we are looking for new news.
The harvest is slow, but we dont have a real number on the progress because Veterans Day delayed our progress reports a day, until Nov. 12. It is believed that the corn harvest is 65-68% done, against an 85% average. The soybean harvest may be close to 90% done, with many areas finished.
This much progress should have provided analysts data to estimate the crop size. The estimates I see still suggest that the crop is over-estimated. How could we have this massive weather problem that slows planting from April until June and floods out large areas, but still gives us a 167 bpa yield after a 176.4 bpa yield last year?
Pappy always said nothing is ever as bad as a farmer says it is, but this year was bad. Still, even with my prejudices, I caution that the market assumes that the USDA is right until they can be proven wrong. Spec funds are adding to short positions, putting money where the estimates are.
Based on the history of their methodology, the USDA will have a couple more small reductions in crop estimates. A big one would be only a result of surprise about the real crop size.
There is talk in the business of what could change the corn balance sheet. Ethanol production is turning profitable again. More corn could go into gasoline, especially since so much corn is lower in quality than last year. This could mean that it takes more corn to make the same ethanol.
South American soybean planting has been delayed by dry weather (they wait for rain to plant the crop). That, in turn, could limit the size of the safrina corn crop, planted after soybeans.
Also, the high beef prices could mean greater feeding of corn, especially of lower-quality corn which has less nutrition per bushel. Then, there is just the fact that the lower test weight of late-planted corn could mean that farmers and traders alike are overestimating what is coming off the fields.
The USDA is now saying that we will end up with a carry out of over 1.9 billion bushels of corn when the marketing year ends Aug. 31. The factors above could greatly cut that carry out. Still, the greatest error in the USDA numbers could just be in the production.
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!
See the original post here:
- In memoriam: The victims of progress - Observer Online - November 13th, 2019
- Archbishop reports on progress of document on marriage and family life - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - November 13th, 2019
- Colin Kaepernick workout shows the NFL is finally making real progress and getting it right - CBSSports.com - November 13th, 2019
- Microsoft workers say it's making progress on diversity - Engadget - November 13th, 2019
- Etihad Airways Making Steady Progress On Predictive Maintenance - MRO Network - November 13th, 2019
- DELL Technologies Summit Promises Real Progress in the next "Data Decade" - KEYE TV CBS Austin - November 13th, 2019
- Another Reason For Progress Readers To Get In Shape - mvprogress - November 13th, 2019
- Baseball stadium progress ahead of team name announcement - KAKE - November 13th, 2019
- With Lebanon Making Fragile Progress, Now Is the Wrong Time to Pull U.S. Assistance - Lawfare - November 13th, 2019
- One Thing To Remember About The Progress Software Corporation (NASDAQ:PRGS) Share Price - Simply Wall St - November 13th, 2019
- Plans progress to bring Exeter Hospital medical building to Raymond - The Union Leader - November 13th, 2019
- We make progress when citizens tackle the small stuff - Seymour Tribune - November 13th, 2019
- Mike Hopkins: we will speed up our progress by slowing down - 247Sports - November 13th, 2019
- Sources: After conversation with James Dolan, Knicks execs under impression jobs safe if team shows progress this season - SNY.tv - November 13th, 2019
- Spurs show they are still a work in progress in failed comeback attempt against the Grizzlies - Pounding The Rock - November 13th, 2019
- Dak headed to tag after no progress on deal - NFL.com - November 13th, 2019
- Death Stranding Review-In-Progress: The Slog Of Slogs - Forbes - November 13th, 2019
- Fire crews stop progress of brush fire that sent smoke billowing near Hollywood sign - USA TODAY - November 13th, 2019
- Work in Progress: Its Time You Get to Know Abby McEnany, So Let Her Introduce Herself Watch - IndieWire - November 13th, 2019
- John Carmack says he's not 'satisfied with the pace of progress' in VR development - PC Gamer - November 13th, 2019
- Djokovic must beat Federer to progress at ATP Finals after defeat to Thiem - Yahoo Movies UK - November 13th, 2019
- U.S. Slowing But Growing With Soft Landing in Progress, Wells Fargo Says - Bloomberg - November 13th, 2019
- Libra's co-creator at Facebook touts progress after an exodus of key backers of the crypto coin - CNBC - October 16th, 2019
- Watch 76ers' Ben Simmons Discuss the Progress of His Jumper: I'm Getting Better - Bleacher Report - October 16th, 2019
- GM CEO meets with UAW negotiators, another sign of progress ahead of union leadership meeting - CNN - October 16th, 2019
- California and New York Show the Ugly Face of Progress - The Wall Street Journal - October 16th, 2019
- Progress Partners Advises travAlliancemedia on Its Sale to Northstar Travel Group - Business Wire - October 16th, 2019
- Schiff: 'Dramatic Progress' in Impeachment Inquiry, As Intel Committee Does the Job of Special Counsel - CNSNews.com - October 16th, 2019
- Amarna Therapeutics Raises 10 million to Progress lead Development Candidate into Clinical Trials and Appoints a new Supervisory Board - Business Wire - October 16th, 2019
- Most Chicago-area rivers continue to fall some flooding still in progress - WGN TV Chicago - October 16th, 2019
- Sons of Italy progress - KETV Omaha - October 16th, 2019
- NYCFC making progress on and off the pitch - MDJOnline.com - October 16th, 2019
- ASN: The Nightmare in Toronto reveals little progress in Berhalter's first year - AmericanSoccerNow.com - October 16th, 2019
- It Looks Like it's Working! NASA InSight's Mole is Making Progress Again Thanks to the Arm Scoop Hack - Universe Today - October 16th, 2019
- Sports Pistons still in the murky middle, hoping to show progress 10:55 AM, Oct 16 - WXYZ - October 16th, 2019
- World in Progress: How to feed the world in times of Climate Change - Deutsche Welle - October 16th, 2019
- Chicago-area rivers continue to fall some flooding still in progress - WGN TV Chicago - October 16th, 2019
- Dont get too excited about progress on Trumps greatest and biggest deal ever - MarketWatch - October 16th, 2019
- Review Of The First Progress Platinum Elite Mastercard Secured Credit Card - LowCards.com - October 16th, 2019
- The residential colleges: progress or problem? - The Vanderbilt Hustler - October 16th, 2019
- Professor: Progress Toward Warp Drive Has Been "Enormous" - Futurism - October 16th, 2019
- Good talk: 3D printing leaders weigh in on additive's progress - The Fabricator - October 16th, 2019
- Earthquake retrofits Bay Area making progress, but still more to do - San Francisco Chronicle - October 16th, 2019
- Highways England using drones to monitor progress on major road schemes - Traffic Technology Today - October 16th, 2019
- USA Gymnastics making progress on reform, but status remains uncertain with Tokyo looming - IndyStar - October 16th, 2019
- Portland housing report shows progress, but gap in affordability persists - Press Herald - October 16th, 2019
- Union, City Making Progress in Talks to Avoid Chicago Teachers Union Strike - NBC Chicago - October 16th, 2019
- UK Football: Eddie Gran happy with progress of Sawyer Smith - A Sea Of Blue - October 16th, 2019
- European Work in Progress Cologne 2019 hands out its awards - Cineuropa - October 16th, 2019
- Lawyers push for progress on suits over 2014 explosion near Santa Paula - VC Star - October 16th, 2019
- Rabies Webinar -- An update on recent progress in human rabies prevention recommendations - World Health Organization - September 25th, 2019
- Orioles See Progress Amid Another 100-Loss Season - Forbes - September 25th, 2019
- Murdock sees progress but still more room for improvement on southern border visit - East Oregonian - September 25th, 2019
- What Dak Prescott's one mistake vs. Miami says about his progress, Dallas' defense finally emerges, and more -- Your Cowboys Catch-Up - The Dallas... - September 25th, 2019
- Stories of change: countries making progress towards universal health coverage - World Health Organization - September 25th, 2019
- Darnold making progress - Albany Times Union - September 25th, 2019
- State report points to progress in graduation rates, mixed results locally - Johnson City Press (subscription) - September 25th, 2019
- Brexit weekly briefing: no evidence of progress on deal despite claims - The Guardian - September 25th, 2019
- Minnesota Crop Progress & Condition Update | The Mighty 790 KFGO - KFGO News - September 25th, 2019
- UNDP, UNFCCC Global Outlook Report Assesses Progress Ahead of Five-year Paris Milestone | News - IISD Reporting Services - September 25th, 2019
- Wheres My Roy Cohn? Review: A Fixers Progress - The New York Times - September 25th, 2019
- Progress on the opioid crisis - Portsmouth Daily Times - September 25th, 2019
- VIDEO: OHA Hears About Puna's Kilauea Eruption Recovery Progress - Big Island Video News - September 25th, 2019
- One Year In, El Pueblo Shelter Sees Steady Progress - LA Downtown News Online - September 25th, 2019
- 2020 NFL Draft: Justin Herbert Continues to Progress - With the First Pick - September 25th, 2019
- "We're still a work in progress." - ABC 36 News - WTVQ - September 25th, 2019
- Musk Shares the Latest Progress on the Starship Prototypes - Universe Today - September 25th, 2019
- Total Action for Progress has a fathers first program - WFXRtv.com - September 25th, 2019
- The Cleveland Browns Are a Work in Progress - The Ringer - September 25th, 2019
- Injured Twins Max Kepler, Ehire Adrianza making progress - St. Paul Pioneer Press - September 25th, 2019
- Purdue coach Jeff Brohm says QB Elijah Sindelar is making progress in concussion recovery - Saturday Tradition - September 25th, 2019
- Orioles front office pleased with progress, fan support during trying season - NBCSports.com - September 25th, 2019
- Bill Belichick: Jakob Johnsons progress has been remarkable - NBCSports.com - September 25th, 2019
- White Sox SS Tim Andersons defense continues to be work in progress: Weve got work to do - Chicago Sun-Times - September 25th, 2019
- Illinois Crop Progress for week ending Sept. 22 | News - Agri News - September 25th, 2019
- Trump Celebrates Progress on Border Wall With Hundreds of Miles to Go - Newsweek - September 25th, 2019
- 270 Park Avenue's Shrouded Demolition Making Progress in Midtown East - New York YIMBY - September 25th, 2019
- Progress on recovering missing troops, but still a daunting task ahead - Military Times - September 25th, 2019
- Paris Agreement progress: a look at the climate goals so far - GOOD - September 25th, 2019
- Croatia's Homeland Security System Makes Huge Progress? - Total Croatia News - September 25th, 2019