In last weeks column What is Religion?, what seemed like a thoughtful, intelligent exploration of what it means to be religious, how modern Catholics fit into society and what increasing secularization means for Christians today, ended up being a list of ways religious Americans have been victimized and persecuted by the left. I believe it took real courage for the author to begin with an interesting premise ripe for exploration (what religions decline means for society) and end with a completely unrelated idea. I love a twist ending.
So, because of the bold new ideas brought forth by What is Religion? last week, I believe it would be a fitting tribute to honor the victims of todays greatest villain: progress.
First, we pay homage to marriage, brutally murdered in 2015 by the Supreme Court when same-sex marriage was legalized. As last weeks author wrote, traditional Christians are now the heretics for preaching that marriage is a sacramental union between a man and a woman, which makes our first tribute somewhat special in that we honor two victims: marriage and traditional Catholics. We must remember who the persecuted are here: the traditional Catholics who are being forced to live in a society where people can marry whomever they please. Its chaos!
We continue along the same vein for our second remembrance, cake shop owners and wedding vendors, who not only are forced to see gay people get married, but also are forced to treat them like they would normal people and provide services when the gays patronize their business. Like last weeks author wrote, Bake that cake, bigot, says the state, and the state is not very polite! Here, too, we find a second victim: traditional Christians, who are being forced to relinquish their traditional beliefs in the face of unrelenting progress. Look no further than a few months ago, when a Christian wedding vendor was mercilessly attacked online after refusing to allow an interracial couple to marry on her premises, and this was after she cited her Christian beliefs! Does free exercise mean anything anymore?
We move next to eulogize the white man, yet another victim of this war on tradition. I can think of no better example than the one last weeks author used when he wrote that Beto ORourke had apologized for simply being a white male. Though I can find no evidence of ORourke apologizing for being a white man, I have no doubt in my mind that it happened.
Im sure I dont need to explain to the reader how the white man has been victimized by liberals today. Look to Brett Kavanaugh, whose life was ruined by an accusation of sexual assault, and who has nothing to look forward to anymore aside from a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court. Devastating. Now direct your attention towards Louis C.K. Ever heard of him? I doubt it since the liberals canceled him over his mistreatment of women. The poor guy only has 18 more shows this year, only 12 of which are sold out. Congress is also a good example. Only 60% of the House and 71% of the Senate are white men, and this number continues to decrease. The power that white men have held unquestioningly in our society is beginning to slip away, and once more we know the culprit: Progress strikes again. Pour one out for the white man.
Our final victim is truth. This may seem abstract, but bear with me, as last weeks author said it when he discussed the history of discrimination towards minorities: It is clear to me that contemporary liberalism exaggerates this legacy to an absurdly false degree, such that practical Catholics who maintain the Churchs beautiful teachings on life, marriage and sexuality are somehow responsible for centuries of dead queers. I am again in complete agreement with the author. Aside from the occasional historical blip, like the burning alive of homosexuals during the Inquisition, the worst thing Catholics have done to queer people is say things they may not want to hear. Sure, in 1976 Pope Paul VI said that homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered and can in no case be approved of. And, yes, in 1986 Pope Benedict XVI said, Although the particular inclination of the homosexual person is not a sin, it is a more or less strong tendency toward an intrinsic moral evil.
But these are just words. Its true that every instance of LGBT victimization (including physical and verbal abuse) increases, on average, the likelihood of self-harming behavior by 2.5 times, but if we start blaming Catholics and their complete and utter rejection of gay people throughout history for some of the issues they face today, where would we stop?
Its clear liberals killed the truth of history and exaggerate legacies of discrimination, and they continue to wage war on everything else we hold dear. Once again we see that traditional Christians are the victims of this heretical religion of liberalism. Im sure it wont be long until leftists get their hands on something really important, and we lose another warrior in the fight against progress. Will women become priests? Will blackface be illegal? I shudder to think.
Progress is a mass murderer, and it has claimed countless victims over the years, but there is still something left to protect. Last weeks author hit the nail on the head when he said that traditional Christianity in the West is quite ill, as only 70.6% of Americans are Christian, and Christianity is only the most popular religion in the world by half a billion. Its clear progress is attempting to stamp out Christianity just like it did our previous victims, and we cannot allow that to happen.
So, we must avoid progress at all costs, lest we allow it to take away the things we hold dear. I call upon each of you to bury your heads in the sand. Cover your ears! Refuse to learn from history! Hide yourselves in places where everyone thinks like you! This is the only way we can turn back the tide of progress, and we cannot afford to lose this fight. Godspeed.
Mary Szromba is a senior majoring in philosophy and political science, and shes never been wrong about anything in her entire life. Questions, comments and anonymous love letters can be directed to [emailprotected] or @_murrrrrr on Twitter.
The views expressed in this column are those of the author and not necessarily those of The Observer.
- Archbishop reports on progress of document on marriage and family life - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - November 13th, 2019
- Colin Kaepernick workout shows the NFL is finally making real progress and getting it right - CBSSports.com - November 13th, 2019
- Microsoft workers say it's making progress on diversity - Engadget - November 13th, 2019
- Etihad Airways Making Steady Progress On Predictive Maintenance - MRO Network - November 13th, 2019
- DELL Technologies Summit Promises Real Progress in the next "Data Decade" - KEYE TV CBS Austin - November 13th, 2019
- Another Reason For Progress Readers To Get In Shape - mvprogress - November 13th, 2019
- Baseball stadium progress ahead of team name announcement - KAKE - November 13th, 2019
- With Lebanon Making Fragile Progress, Now Is the Wrong Time to Pull U.S. Assistance - Lawfare - November 13th, 2019
- One Thing To Remember About The Progress Software Corporation (NASDAQ:PRGS) Share Price - Simply Wall St - November 13th, 2019
- Plans progress to bring Exeter Hospital medical building to Raymond - The Union Leader - November 13th, 2019
- Lots of news, little price progress - Farm and Dairy - November 13th, 2019
- We make progress when citizens tackle the small stuff - Seymour Tribune - November 13th, 2019
- Mike Hopkins: we will speed up our progress by slowing down - 247Sports - November 13th, 2019
- Sources: After conversation with James Dolan, Knicks execs under impression jobs safe if team shows progress this season - SNY.tv - November 13th, 2019
- Spurs show they are still a work in progress in failed comeback attempt against the Grizzlies - Pounding The Rock - November 13th, 2019
- Dak headed to tag after no progress on deal - NFL.com - November 13th, 2019
- Death Stranding Review-In-Progress: The Slog Of Slogs - Forbes - November 13th, 2019
- Fire crews stop progress of brush fire that sent smoke billowing near Hollywood sign - USA TODAY - November 13th, 2019
- Work in Progress: Its Time You Get to Know Abby McEnany, So Let Her Introduce Herself Watch - IndieWire - November 13th, 2019
- John Carmack says he's not 'satisfied with the pace of progress' in VR development - PC Gamer - November 13th, 2019
- Djokovic must beat Federer to progress at ATP Finals after defeat to Thiem - Yahoo Movies UK - November 13th, 2019
- U.S. Slowing But Growing With Soft Landing in Progress, Wells Fargo Says - Bloomberg - November 13th, 2019
- Libra's co-creator at Facebook touts progress after an exodus of key backers of the crypto coin - CNBC - October 16th, 2019
- Watch 76ers' Ben Simmons Discuss the Progress of His Jumper: I'm Getting Better - Bleacher Report - October 16th, 2019
- GM CEO meets with UAW negotiators, another sign of progress ahead of union leadership meeting - CNN - October 16th, 2019
- California and New York Show the Ugly Face of Progress - The Wall Street Journal - October 16th, 2019
- Progress Partners Advises travAlliancemedia on Its Sale to Northstar Travel Group - Business Wire - October 16th, 2019
- Schiff: 'Dramatic Progress' in Impeachment Inquiry, As Intel Committee Does the Job of Special Counsel - CNSNews.com - October 16th, 2019
- Amarna Therapeutics Raises 10 million to Progress lead Development Candidate into Clinical Trials and Appoints a new Supervisory Board - Business Wire - October 16th, 2019
- Most Chicago-area rivers continue to fall some flooding still in progress - WGN TV Chicago - October 16th, 2019
- Sons of Italy progress - KETV Omaha - October 16th, 2019
- NYCFC making progress on and off the pitch - MDJOnline.com - October 16th, 2019
- ASN: The Nightmare in Toronto reveals little progress in Berhalter's first year - AmericanSoccerNow.com - October 16th, 2019
- It Looks Like it's Working! NASA InSight's Mole is Making Progress Again Thanks to the Arm Scoop Hack - Universe Today - October 16th, 2019
- Sports Pistons still in the murky middle, hoping to show progress 10:55 AM, Oct 16 - WXYZ - October 16th, 2019
- World in Progress: How to feed the world in times of Climate Change - Deutsche Welle - October 16th, 2019
- Chicago-area rivers continue to fall some flooding still in progress - WGN TV Chicago - October 16th, 2019
- Dont get too excited about progress on Trumps greatest and biggest deal ever - MarketWatch - October 16th, 2019
- Review Of The First Progress Platinum Elite Mastercard Secured Credit Card - LowCards.com - October 16th, 2019
- The residential colleges: progress or problem? - The Vanderbilt Hustler - October 16th, 2019
- Professor: Progress Toward Warp Drive Has Been "Enormous" - Futurism - October 16th, 2019
- Good talk: 3D printing leaders weigh in on additive's progress - The Fabricator - October 16th, 2019
- Earthquake retrofits Bay Area making progress, but still more to do - San Francisco Chronicle - October 16th, 2019
- Highways England using drones to monitor progress on major road schemes - Traffic Technology Today - October 16th, 2019
- USA Gymnastics making progress on reform, but status remains uncertain with Tokyo looming - IndyStar - October 16th, 2019
- Portland housing report shows progress, but gap in affordability persists - Press Herald - October 16th, 2019
- Union, City Making Progress in Talks to Avoid Chicago Teachers Union Strike - NBC Chicago - October 16th, 2019
- UK Football: Eddie Gran happy with progress of Sawyer Smith - A Sea Of Blue - October 16th, 2019
- European Work in Progress Cologne 2019 hands out its awards - Cineuropa - October 16th, 2019
- Lawyers push for progress on suits over 2014 explosion near Santa Paula - VC Star - October 16th, 2019
- Rabies Webinar -- An update on recent progress in human rabies prevention recommendations - World Health Organization - September 25th, 2019
- Orioles See Progress Amid Another 100-Loss Season - Forbes - September 25th, 2019
- Murdock sees progress but still more room for improvement on southern border visit - East Oregonian - September 25th, 2019
- What Dak Prescott's one mistake vs. Miami says about his progress, Dallas' defense finally emerges, and more -- Your Cowboys Catch-Up - The Dallas... - September 25th, 2019
- Stories of change: countries making progress towards universal health coverage - World Health Organization - September 25th, 2019
- Darnold making progress - Albany Times Union - September 25th, 2019
- State report points to progress in graduation rates, mixed results locally - Johnson City Press (subscription) - September 25th, 2019
- Brexit weekly briefing: no evidence of progress on deal despite claims - The Guardian - September 25th, 2019
- Minnesota Crop Progress & Condition Update | The Mighty 790 KFGO - KFGO News - September 25th, 2019
- UNDP, UNFCCC Global Outlook Report Assesses Progress Ahead of Five-year Paris Milestone | News - IISD Reporting Services - September 25th, 2019
- Wheres My Roy Cohn? Review: A Fixers Progress - The New York Times - September 25th, 2019
- Progress on the opioid crisis - Portsmouth Daily Times - September 25th, 2019
- VIDEO: OHA Hears About Puna's Kilauea Eruption Recovery Progress - Big Island Video News - September 25th, 2019
- One Year In, El Pueblo Shelter Sees Steady Progress - LA Downtown News Online - September 25th, 2019
- 2020 NFL Draft: Justin Herbert Continues to Progress - With the First Pick - September 25th, 2019
- "We're still a work in progress." - ABC 36 News - WTVQ - September 25th, 2019
- Musk Shares the Latest Progress on the Starship Prototypes - Universe Today - September 25th, 2019
- Total Action for Progress has a fathers first program - WFXRtv.com - September 25th, 2019
- The Cleveland Browns Are a Work in Progress - The Ringer - September 25th, 2019
- Injured Twins Max Kepler, Ehire Adrianza making progress - St. Paul Pioneer Press - September 25th, 2019
- Purdue coach Jeff Brohm says QB Elijah Sindelar is making progress in concussion recovery - Saturday Tradition - September 25th, 2019
- Orioles front office pleased with progress, fan support during trying season - NBCSports.com - September 25th, 2019
- Bill Belichick: Jakob Johnsons progress has been remarkable - NBCSports.com - September 25th, 2019
- White Sox SS Tim Andersons defense continues to be work in progress: Weve got work to do - Chicago Sun-Times - September 25th, 2019
- Illinois Crop Progress for week ending Sept. 22 | News - Agri News - September 25th, 2019
- Trump Celebrates Progress on Border Wall With Hundreds of Miles to Go - Newsweek - September 25th, 2019
- 270 Park Avenue's Shrouded Demolition Making Progress in Midtown East - New York YIMBY - September 25th, 2019
- Progress on recovering missing troops, but still a daunting task ahead - Military Times - September 25th, 2019
- Paris Agreement progress: a look at the climate goals so far - GOOD - September 25th, 2019
- Croatia's Homeland Security System Makes Huge Progress? - Total Croatia News - September 25th, 2019