Welcome to the Guardians weekly Brexit briefing. If youd like to receive this as a weekly email, sign up here. You can also catch our latest Brexit Means podcast here, and for daily updates, head to Andrew Sparrows politics live blog.
Brexit is just over a month away and despite repeated claims by the government that progress is being made on changes to the withdrawal deal that might somehow make it acceptable to MPs, theres still no evidence to suggest thats actually the case.
In a speech in Strasbourg the president of the European commission, Jean-Claude Juncker, demanded operable proposals, in writing, from the UK on replacing the Irish backstop and warned a no-deal exit was now a palpable risk.
Finland, which holds the rotating presidency of the Council of the European Union, and France said whatever Britain did come up with would have to be tabled within a fortnight so it could be properly discussed by the EU27 before next months summit.
But it emerged that Boris Johnson had been taken aback during his meeting with Juncker last week at the scale and complexity of the potential problems on the border, and the extent to which Britains sketchy ideas have failed to address them.
In a speech in Madrid that went down like a lead balloon, Brexit secretary Stephen Barclay said the purist EU would have to take risks with the Irish border for a deal to be struck, demanding more flexibility and compromise from the bloc.
The government said it would present its plans when it was ready, and then angered the EU27 by insisting that the papers it finally submitted dismissed in Brussels as still very far from what was required must not be circulated.
The EUs chief negotiator, Michel Barnier, later described the British solution for replacing the backstop as unacceptable, adding that the UK governments position would have to change for there to be any hope of success.
Meanwhile, the supreme court heard arguments in London for and against Johnsons decision to suspend parliament until 14 October, including allegations that the mother of parliaments had been shut down by the father of lies and that the governments stated reasons for the prorogation were misleading.
No 10 said it could not rule out proroguing parliament again if it loses the potentially explosive case, while the judges were urged to encourage the speakers of the Commons and Lords to reconvene the parliamentary session. The verdict should come on Tuesday morning (see below).
As the prime minister headed to a UN climate summit in New York, where he was due to meet European leaders saying he was cautiously optimistic he could negotiate a deal with EU leaders, Labour continued to tear itself to pieces over its Brexit policy.
Jeremy Corbyn wanted to stay neutral and let the people decide in a referendum; activists pushed for a campaign to remain; the party conference was plunged into Brexit disarray and then into downright chaos.
In the end, Corbyn won: delegates rejected a motion that would have obliged Labour to adopt an out-and-out remain position before a general election.
In the short term, all eyes are on the supreme court, whose verdict on whether Johnsons decision to prorogue parliament for five weeks was lawful or not is expected on Tuesday morning.
A ruling against the government could trigger a constitutional eruption of volcanic proportions, one legal expert said, with much depending on how the court framed such a decision particularly if it determines that Johnson misled the Queen.
Past that, the crucial problem facing the prime minister is whether or not he can solve the riddle of the Irish backstop and thus wring a deal from the EU (he would then have to get it through parliament, of course, but thats for another day).
At the moment the two sides have starkly different visions of what the withdrawal agreement and the Irish protocol need to guarantee.
Britain has proposed Northern Ireland stays under EU rules for agri-food but that otherwise there be two regulatory zones on the island, with some checks on goods necessary albeit facilitated by technology. The EU wants to secure full frictionless trade across the island in order to maintain the status quo.
At present, there is little sign of any meaningful rapprochement.
In the Guardian, Jonathan Lis argues that the language of Brexit betrayal is poisoning politics:
Our fundamental problem is we have lost the ability to distinguish between compromise and betrayal. We now confront a situation in which language proves as dangerous as policy.
Politicians can no longer merely disagree. They must be acting in bad faith, or subverting democracy, or betraying the electorate. This finds its extreme form in the word treason, which now peppers and pollutes the language of rightwing politicians and commentators. But it has also insinuated itself into the way we address Brexit altogether.
The essential toxin here is the requirement for political purity. This is partly driven by the increasing radicalism of our mainstream political parties and partly by the appetite for nationalism unleashed by the referendum and now rapidly advancing.
Britain is no longer just riven politically and economically, but fully entrenched in a culture war which demands rigid and extreme conceptions of identity. This new polarisation necessitates an all-or-nothing stance not just on Brexit, but on politics altogether. When we join battle on those lines, we leave no room for anything in between or any obvious route to heal afterwards.
A left-leaning journalist despairs at Labours Brexit policy contortions:
- Frank Reich makes progress on makeover of Colts' offense - Indianapolis Colts Blog- ESPN - ESPN - May 3rd, 2020
- 3 Ways NJ Is Showing Big Progress In Coronavirus Outbreak - Patch.com - May 3rd, 2020
- Gov. Northam talks testing progress and where Virginia stands - WHSV - May 3rd, 2020
- Miami Dolphins offensive line will be a work in progress - PhinPhanatic - May 3rd, 2020
- 10 Iowa basketball topics, including the progress of Patrick McCaffery and Jordan Bohannon - Boone News-Republican - May 3rd, 2020
- As parts of Pa. prepare to end coronavirus shutdown, Lehigh Valleys progress is mixed | Analysis - lehighvalleylive.com - May 3rd, 2020
- Ron Wilson: Working together for educational progress - Sentinel-Standard - May 3rd, 2020
- Progress report: Checking in on the recruiting class of 2017 - Champaign/Urbana News-Gazette - May 3rd, 2020
- Record editorial: Caution remains the watchword even amid positive progress in pandemic response - The Park Record - May 3rd, 2020
- Progress Underway On Union's New Stadium Daniel Hawk Demolition started in January on Union's new $42 - News On 6 - May 3rd, 2020
- Warren Buffett: 'The progress of mankind has been incredible' - Yahoo Finance - May 3rd, 2020
- Calif. Governor Warns That Packed Beaches Put Coronavirus Pandemic Progress At Risk - NPR - May 3rd, 2020
- Stocks charge higher on hopes for progress in fighting COVID-19 - Press Herald - May 3rd, 2020
- Healthcare ETFs to Gain on Progress in Coronavirus Vaccine - Yahoo Finance - May 3rd, 2020
- Consumer Beware: Coronavirus Antibody Tests Are Still A Work In Progress - Kaiser Health News - May 3rd, 2020
- Progress Michigan calls on House Speaker to censure representative for using Holocaust as attack on Dr. Fauci - WLNS - May 3rd, 2020
- Gov. Cooper: 'Hopeful' signs on Covid-19 benchmarks but progress is mixed - Qcity metro - May 3rd, 2020
- Steele Updated Clinton Ally on Dossier Progress in 2016 - National Review - May 3rd, 2020
- Illini remain work in progress offensively with passing attack a key focus - Champaign/Urbana News-Gazette - May 3rd, 2020
- 'A Work In Progress' - How Will Maine's Phased Reopening Work? - mainepublic.org - May 3rd, 2020
- Points of Progress: Breakthrough in plastic recycling, and more - The Christian Science Monitor - May 3rd, 2020
- Opinion: Good progress battling the virus. It's time to heal the economy. - Juneau Empire - May 3rd, 2020
- Inspired Updates Progress on COVID-19 Initiatives - PRNewswire - April 27th, 2020
- Ohio Makes Progress With Reagent and Testing Swabs, Contact Tracing - Eagle 99.3 FM WSCH - April 27th, 2020
- Myth circulates online that COVID-19 symptoms progress in three distinct stages - AFP Factcheck - April 27th, 2020
- Stitt: OESC and digital transformation show progress in managing increase in unemployment claims - Claremore Daily Progress - April 27th, 2020
- Dolphins' undrafted free agent activity is latest sign of progress - Dolphins Wire - April 27th, 2020
- The National Divide Over COVID-19 Testing Threatens Our Progress - TIME - April 27th, 2020
- Coronavirus hit to Australian economy to be outlined in budget progress report - The Guardian - April 27th, 2020
- Clive Cox pleased with the progress of Golden Horde and Positive - Racing TV - April 27th, 2020
- 7 Stages to the New Normal, revisited the lack of progress haunts my thinking - Web In Travel - April 27th, 2020
- Progress Made by States in 2019 Is Key to Increasing Broadband - The Pew Charitable Trusts - April 27th, 2020
- UPDATE: Police in Charles County Respond to Home Invasion in Progress, Shoot and Kill Armed Suspect | Southern Maryland News Net - Southern Maryland... - April 27th, 2020
- Construction crews making progress on Springfield schools with no students in class - KY3 - April 27th, 2020
- Sanofi's BTK Progress, And Other News: The Good, Bad And Ugly Of Biopharma - Seeking Alpha - April 27th, 2020
- EU's chief Brexit negotiator cites "disappointing" progress in talks with UK - New Europe - April 27th, 2020
- False commentary and blinkered perspectives hampering TCO progress - EURACTIV - April 27th, 2020
- Progress made on state unemployment claims, but thousands still waiting - ABC 12 News - April 27th, 2020
- Mixed reactions over Beloit casino progress - WMTV - April 27th, 2020
- UNC Basketball: Anthony Harris appears to be making progress in his recovery - Tar Heel Blog - April 27th, 2020
- Ugandan military medics withdraw from main hospital after progress in COVID-19 fight - cgtn.com - April 27th, 2020
- San Marcos officer injured in shooting moved from ICU after exceptional progress - KXAN.com - April 27th, 2020
- Report: COVID-19 threatens NY's progress on universal pre-K - Times Union - April 27th, 2020
- Progress - Wikipedia - April 26th, 2020
- Earth Day 50: Have We Made any Real Progress? - JD Supra - April 26th, 2020
- Editorial: BearHeels matter shows need for further progress on behavioral health - Omaha World-Herald - April 26th, 2020
- Antero Resources: pushing progress and leading innovation for WV oil and gas industry - WV News - April 26th, 2020
- Brooklyn Nets: Examining the progress of Caris LeVert - Hoops Habit - April 26th, 2020
- 'Recovering': Progress on LA Tech's athletic facilities builds hope 1 year after tornado - The News Star - April 26th, 2020
- Column: 50 years of progress for Lake Tahoe and the nation - South Tahoe Now - April 26th, 2020
- Earth Day A Time To Reflect On Rivers' Progress - The Waterways Journal - The Waterways Journal - April 26th, 2020
- 'We are making some progress': Governor says state will reopen in phases; elective surgeries to resume May 1 - Community Impact Newspaper - April 26th, 2020
- Neal, Allen and McKinley making progress in injury rehab - Atlanta Journal Constitution - April 26th, 2020
- Points of Progress: Pakistan gets anti-child abuse law, and more - The Christian Science Monitor - April 11th, 2020
- Gov. Abbott Says Texas Has Made Progress in Slowing the Spread of COVID-19 - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth - April 11th, 2020
- COVID-19 afflicted Nachito Herrera showing signs of progress - TwinCities.com-Pioneer Press - April 11th, 2020
- 16 Million Out Of Work: Yet The Private Sector Is Making Progress Against Coronavirus - The National Interest - April 11th, 2020
- Investigation of Former Carrier Roosevelt CO's Message Still In Progress - USNI News - April 11th, 2020
- Progress being made in county, but now's not the time to stop social distancing, officials say - My Edmonds News - April 11th, 2020
- Progress being made, but Huntsville officials say the fight against the virus is not over yet - WHNT News 19 - April 11th, 2020
- Our view: Progress with numbers but hard road ahead - Pacific Coast Business Times - April 11th, 2020
- Governor sues over revoked limits to reglious gatherings, announces progress on unemployment help - KSN-TV - April 11th, 2020
- Washington is making progress, but state officials urge residents to not let their guard down - Bainbridge Island Review - April 11th, 2020
- Gold slips 1% as small signs of progress against coronavirus boost stocks - CNBC - April 11th, 2020
- Mayor Durkan: We are not out of the woods despite recent progress in quelling outbreak - MyNorthwest.com - April 11th, 2020
- Stocks rise sharply on signs of progress in battling virus - PBS NewsHour - April 11th, 2020
- Riverhead officer injured in crash 'making progress' in recovery while in ICU - Suffolk Times - April 11th, 2020
- Post-pandemic political scene a work in progress - Boston Herald - April 9th, 2020
- Suspect killed in traffic-stop shootout with Heights police - Progress Index - April 9th, 2020
- Connecting Business initiative: Progress report 2019 - World - ReliefWeb - April 9th, 2020
- New app has ties to city of 'Power and Progress' - Columbus Telegram - April 9th, 2020
- Cancer and COVID-19; Breast Cancer Progress; RT for Women: Good News, Bad News - MedPage Today - April 9th, 2020
- DME on progress and helium market | News - gasworld - April 9th, 2020
- Season Review: Gymnastics shows progress standing on its own - Whitman Hanson Express - April 9th, 2020
- Investigation in progress after officer-involved shooting in Columbia - ColaDaily.com - April 9th, 2020
- Team Haverhill: From Possible Dreams to Today's Haverhill Progress - WHAV News - April 9th, 2020
- Virginia tips the scales toward trucker comfort - Progress Index - April 9th, 2020
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - Trump: Tough times but progress being made | TheHill - The Hill - April 9th, 2020
- Philosophers Win $1.3 Million Grant to Study Epistemic Progress in the University - Daily Nous - April 9th, 2020
- Easton school board gives progress report on flexible instruction in district - 69News WFMZ-TV - April 9th, 2020