Mike and Tara Wiesner have spent a year on the frontlines helping people dealing with devastation, only to now deal with their own.
ERIE, Colo. A bag of dog food thudded as Allison Frary pushed it away with her foot. Donated jackets and pants were piled on her couches, and shoes covered her floor. She looked around and laughed at how cluttered the front room of her home had become.
"I dont like to look over there," she said as she stared at the charred home across the street. "But this happened because of that, so its nice to remember whats going on."
It was about 1 a.m. Wednesday when Frary ran out of her home in Erie to see the orange glow of a fire coming from her neighbor's house.
"It was my daughter," Frary said. "She heard Tara screaming for help and frantically started screaming for help for us to wake up because our neighbor's house was on fire."
The neighbors, Mike and Tara Wiesner, made it out safely along with their kids and dogs. A puppy and a guinea pig couldn't be saved. Mountain View Fire said the cause of the fire at the home on Parkdale Circle has not been released yet, but they didn't think it was suspicious.
"It happened so quickly that if our son hadn't woken us up, that would have been it," Mike Wiesner said.
"I just kept counting the children, just making sure all the kids were out," Tara Wiesner said.
Mike is a respiratory therapist, and Tara is a nurse case manager. Their year has been spent on the frontlines, helping people deal with devastation, only to come home to their own.
"My husband and I are no strangers to seeing people in peril and seeing people that were devastated by fire," Tara said. "Weve seen a lot go on this past year."
While the couple knows all too well how quickly anguish can spread, so can a little kindness, especially when it comes from just across the street.
"I asked them their sizes when they were here the night of the fire," Frary said as she folded a T-shirt. "Every member of the family has their own wardrobe now."
Frary said she couldn't sit around and replay those screams in her head. She needed to do something. She put the call out for donations the morning after the fire. Within hours, her living room was packed with clothes, toiletries, food and school supplies. She created a GoFundMe as well, and it raised more than $37,000 in a couple of days.
"It was just pretty much an instinct," she said. "I knew that they pretty much lost everything, their whole life that they have been working for. If they were in my shoes, I would just hope that they would do that same."
While houses may make up a neighborhood, they don't create a community. The Wiesner family realized it's compassion that really makes a neighborhood whole and believes theirs is worth rebuilding for.
"It's amazing the kindness that people can show you when something happens," Tara said. "Why would you ever want to leave that type of environment?"
> Top stories curated daily just for you!Sign up for the 9NEWSLETTERto getcant-miss stories, Next and Broncos content, weather and more delivered righttoyour inbox.
Continue reading here:
- Telehealth could improve access to health care for pregnant mothers, their infants - OHSU News - August 5th, 2022
- Democratic lawmakers introduce bill to make reproductive health care more accessible to women with disabilities - The Hill - August 5th, 2022
- Health care spending hit $3.07 trillion in 2019 - Medical Economics - August 5th, 2022
- Executive Order on Securing Access to Reproductive and Other Healthcare Services - The White House - August 5th, 2022
- CVS Health Looking To Enhance Capabilities Through Home Health Care - Home Health Care News - August 5th, 2022
- Covid-19 has damaged the reputation of Cuban health care - The Economist - August 5th, 2022
- Navigating health care as a young adult | News, Sports, Jobs - The Express - Lock Haven Express - August 5th, 2022
- Meet the Woman Bringing Health Care to the Doorsteps of Low-Income Kenyan Communities - Global Citizen - August 5th, 2022
- Tampa General Hospital's Vice President of Innovation Chosen Among Top Leaders In Keeping American Health Care on the Cutting Edge - PR Newswire - August 5th, 2022
- Energy and Health Care bill faces opposition in Congress - WWLP.com - August 5th, 2022
- Is abortion health care? Court to hear trigger ban case - Wyoming Tribune - August 5th, 2022
- Bassett Healthcare Network Invests Nearly $50 Million in Compensation Increases for Its Workforce - Bassett Healthcare Network - August 5th, 2022
- Warnock tweak would further expand health insurance in inflation deal - Business Insider - August 5th, 2022
- Biden's Year of Underachievement on Health Care - The Dispatch - January 25th, 2022
- Steward Health Care Week 24 high school star athletes of the week - Deseret News - January 25th, 2022
- Texas is now offering up to $5,000 hiring bonuses for these healthcare jobs - WFAA.com - January 25th, 2022
- Caribou grabs $3M to remove the unexpected from healthcare cost planning - TechCrunch - January 25th, 2022
- Opinion: Crucial action on health care worker shortage is missing from ambitious legislative priorities - Des Moines Register - January 25th, 2022
- Employee Assistance Program takes a proactive approach to worker mental health care - The Aspen Times - January 25th, 2022
- 'Its been a tough couple of years': Reinforcements to help exhausted hospital health care workers - WLWT Cincinnati - January 25th, 2022
- Death of Stanford nurse brings attention to healthcare workers mental health - KRON4 - January 25th, 2022
- Cryan Vows to Address Health Care Needs of Veterans Denied Treatment - InsiderNJ - January 25th, 2022
- Naperville Helps! Campaign Relaunched To Aid Health Care Workers - Patch.com - January 25th, 2022
- HEALTH CARE BRIEFING: HHS Responds to GOP Testing Funds Inquiry | Bloomberg Government - Bloomberg Government - January 25th, 2022
- 5 Healthcare IT Trends Entrepreneurs Should Watch in 2022 - Entrepreneur - January 25th, 2022
- Study: Dothan SE Health among US systems that give unnecessary care - AL.com - January 25th, 2022
- Is It Possible to Change the Structure Of The Brain With Meditation? - January 20th, 2022
- Single-payer health care is back on the table at the California Capitol - Capital Public Radio News - January 11th, 2022
- Grant will help improve access to health care - Washington Daily News - thewashingtondailynews.com - January 11th, 2022
- Health care workers face fatigue as they deal with more COVID-19 patients - News 12 Bronx - January 11th, 2022
- Philly ER doctor: Omicron wave threatens to overpower exhausted health-care workers | Expert Opinion - The Philadelphia Inquirer - January 11th, 2022
- County seeks to expand mental health care for those facing incarceration - Austin Monitor - January 11th, 2022
- CIOs plan big investments in EHR optimization and pop health IT - Healthcare IT News - January 11th, 2022
- Steward Health Care Week 22 high school star athletes of the week - Deseret News - January 11th, 2022
- Health care workers brave bitter cold temperatures at testing sites in Milwaukee - WDJT - January 11th, 2022
- United Way, UPMC, community partners thank health-care workers - Williamsport Sun-Gazette - January 11th, 2022
- COVID hospitalizations hit 300, as many healthcare workers call in sick - KHON2 - January 11th, 2022
- Could this be the year for single-payer health care in New York? - Times Union - January 11th, 2022
- Latinos in U.S. often live in 'deserts' where adequate housing, groceries are hard to find - USA TODAY - January 11th, 2022
- J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conference Starts With Lots of Deals, No Blockbuster M&A - Barron's - January 11th, 2022
- Read the latest Gambit: Getting mental health care in the age of disaster - NOLA.com - January 11th, 2022
- US hospitals recruit foreign nurses to ease health care worker shortage : Shots - Health News - NPR - January 11th, 2022
- [PODCAST] The Pandemic and Beyond: Navigating Disputes Within Health Care Systems - JD Supra - January 11th, 2022
- We're buying more of this high-quality health-care stock amid the market sell-off - CNBC - January 11th, 2022
- Health care heroes honored | News, Sports, Jobs - Youngstown Vindicator - February 15th, 2021
- Black community leaders to discuss vaccines and repairing trust in health care - wcia.com - February 15th, 2021
- Gourmet Cookie owner sharing the love with health care workers by donating treats for each dozen cookies sold - WATE 6 On Your Side - February 15th, 2021
- Funding for Health Care Providers During the Pandemic: An Update - Kaiser Family Foundation - February 15th, 2021
- Vaccine rollout wont be equitable unless health care reckons with racism - The Verge - February 15th, 2021
- City adds disabled residents, home health care providers to list of groups eligible for vaccinations | City of Detroit - City of Detroit - February 15th, 2021
- Delawareans Will Have New Opportunity to Gain Health Insurance Through HealthCare.Gov from Feb. 15 to May 15 - State of Delaware News -... - February 15th, 2021
- New help to quit smoking; how to get the health care you need - The Union Leader - February 15th, 2021
- What Health Care Providers and Facilities Should Know About the PREP Act's "Covered Countermeasures" - JD Supra - February 15th, 2021
- Health Care Workers Hit Hard by the Coronavirus Pandemic - The New York Times - February 15th, 2021
- These Are The States Attempting to Pass Anti-Trans Health Care Bills - Human Rights Campaign - February 15th, 2021
- Many health care workers turned down their COVID vaccine. Here's why - KGW.com - February 15th, 2021
- Healthcare equity and Alzheimers is the focus of March 3 virtual town hall - cleveland.com - February 15th, 2021
- Since vaccinations began, fewer health care workers in Richmond have tested positive - Richmond.com - February 15th, 2021
- Escalating Cyberattacks on Healthcare Organizations Highlight Need for Security Interventions - HIT Consultant - February 15th, 2021
- Who can afford healthcare these days? | Journal-news - Martinsburg Journal - February 15th, 2021
- 3 of the most pressing health care topics of 2021 - cerner.com - cerner.com - February 4th, 2021
- Biden Moves to Expand Health Coverage in Pandemic Economy - The New York Times - February 4th, 2021
- Bidens Health Care Moves - The New York Times - February 4th, 2021
- UB Department of Surgery launches Anti-Racism and Health Care Equity Initiative with Cornel West as inaugural speaker - UB News Center - February 4th, 2021
- Health Care Unions Find a Voice as the Pandemic Rages - The New York Times - February 4th, 2021
- UPMC Health Care Workers Surprised With Trip To Super Bowl - CBS Pittsburgh - February 4th, 2021
- Partnership created to accelerate health care innovation - WISHTV.com - February 4th, 2021
- Frontline health care workers with ties to Charlotte win free tickets to Super Bowl LV - WCNC.com - February 4th, 2021
- Stroke Recovery - Norton Healthcare - February 4th, 2021
- Hims & Hers, ATA, and 10 others launch Telehealth Equity Coalition - Healthcare IT News - February 4th, 2021
- Rebuilding trust after COVID-19: U.S. healthcare experts weigh in - Medical News Today - February 4th, 2021
- 'Out of Control': Wuhan Health Care Worker Sheds New Light on How COVID's Early Days Really Unfolded in China - FRONTLINE - February 4th, 2021
- 4 Cincinnati health care workers awarded free trip to 2021 Super Bowl - WLWT Cincinnati - February 4th, 2021
- Biden signs executive orders to expand health care access - CBS News - February 4th, 2021
- RI field hospital nurse one of 75 New England health care workers to attend the big game - WPRI.com - February 4th, 2021
- Long Beach moves from vaccinating health care workers to teachers. Mayor says their strategy is different from other cities - KCRW - February 4th, 2021
- Global Healthcare Analytics Market Worth USD 80.21 billion by 2026; Launch of Project Apollo by Cerner to Boost Market - GlobeNewswire - February 4th, 2021
- Kudos to health care workers at vaccination clinic - Beckley Register-Herald - February 4th, 2021
- Change Healthcare Inc. Reports Third Quarter Fiscal 2021 Financial Results - Business Wire - February 4th, 2021
- Accenture rebuffed again in Healthcare.gov protest - FCW.com - February 4th, 2021