CouldStar Wars: The Rise of Skywalker's Dark Rey actually be the original iteration of the character, and the one fighting for the Resistance merely a clone? Rey's ancestry was all set to dominate conversation surrounding the character leading up toThe Rise of Skywalker, but then along came trailer footage that altered that discourse completely. In the movie's second trailer, a brief shot was includedthat hinted either towards Reybeing tempted to the Dark Side, or to some other evil incarnation of the character existing. This version of Rey is dressed in a black, hooded cloak, demonstrating fashion sense similar to the Sith and, more tellingly, she also wields a red double-bladed lightsaber that folds out with a dramatic snap.
Of course, there's a distinct possibility that the appearance of Dark Rey takes place in the context of some kind of dream or vision. This would certainly be a cheap trick for aStar Wars trailer to pull, but plenty of other films have been guilty of something similar. In the case of Dark Rey, however, the scene doesn't feel like an illusion.If Rey was simply dreaming up an evil version of herself (similar to how Luke sees himself as Darth Vader inThe Empire Strikes Back), why would she mentally invent a snazzy new lightsaber design that she's never seen previously? This suggests that, whatever other misdirection might be at play, Dark Rey is a real entity.
Related: Everything We Know About Leia's Role In Star Wars 9
Verging into more speculative territory, it looks like Dark Rey may be standing in the same location as Palpatine's throne, which has been seen in subsequent trailers. Daisy Ridley has described portraying this alternate Rey in glowing terms, but the true context of the story remains to be seen. The appearance of Dark Rey fits surprisingly well alongside a number of different fan theories regarding Rey's origins, Palpatine's return and the endgame of the Sith. At the core of this argument is the assertion that the Rey seen inThe Force Awakens andThe Last Jedi is NOT the original article - but Dark Rey is.
Emperor Palpatine is making his glorious return inThe Rise of Skywalker and the simultaneous debut of Dark Rey is unlikely to be a coincidence. Aside from dominating and ruling the galaxy, Palpatine's main goal throughout theStar Wars series has been to personally create the perfect Sith to serve as a warrior, and examples of this can be found throughout the villain's fictional history. It's strongly implied that Palpatine was the one who manipulated the Force into conceiving Anakin Skywalker, the boy he would later corrupt and turn into Darth Vader.
However, Palpatine didn't stop there. InThe Clone Wars,the Emperor begins abducting Force-sensitive children, he had a cloning facility built in the oldStar Wars expanded universe and, after Darth Vader's failure at the Battle of Yavin, Palpatine sought to use the Empire's leading scientist to replace Anakin with a cybernetic enforcer. In summary, the Emperor has explored a number of different avenues in his quest to create the perfect warrior, and after Darth Vader turned against him inReturn of the Jedi, a new pet project would've been needed. Enter, the original Rey.
There are severalplaces Palpatine could've drawn a new apprentice from. The group of kidnapped children strong in the Force, his cloning experiments or perhaps even his own bloodline. Dark Rey could originate from any of these sources and have been molded into a powerful and obedient new apprentice during the years Palpatine has been in hiding. However, the Sith leader clearly has a strong interest in the benefits of cloning. If Dark Rey is a regular human, Palpatine might've been tempted to clone her in an attempt to create an army of Sith fighters. If she is a completely bio-engineered creation, perhaps derived from Anakin or Palpatine's DNA, then there are likely a number of other Reys (prototypes, failures, etc.) hidden in the basement of an abandoned Empire facility somewhere out in space.
Related: Star Wars: How The Rise Of Skywalker Can Bring Back Rebels Characters
If the original (dark) Rey has been serving at Palpatine's side as his prized apprentice, whatmight happen if one of her Force-sensitive clonesescaped out into the galaxy? Perhaps this is how Rey ended up abandoned on Jakku; a kindly Stormtrooper or Empire scientist took pity on a child clone and hid her on a desolate planet, rather than leave her to rot along with the other Rey clones or be used as a pawn of the Emperor when she matures into an adult.
This would explain why Rey only has hazy visions of her "parents" saying goodbye on Jakku, as well as accounting for how she's so well-versed in the ways of the Force. If the Rey seen throughoutThe Force Awakens andThe Last Jediwas indeed revealed as a clone, this would also fit neatly alongside what has already been revealed about the character's family history. Kylo Ren described Rey's parents as "nobody," and since he might've known about the Empire's cloning experiments, perhaps the First Order leader was being more literal than he let on. Clones really do have "nobody" as parents, after all. It's also worth noting that when Rey asked the strange Force cave on Ahch-To to reveal her parents, she saw a long line of reflections. At the time, this was seen as a challenge Rey had to get through to reach answers but, once again, it could've been a more literal answer. Lots of Reys = one of many clones.
Both J. J. Abrams and Daisy Ridley have hinted that there's more to Rey's parentage than what was revealed inThe Last Jedi, with some fans left disappointed at the anti-climactic reveal. However, it would be far too predictable at this point if Rey was simply a Skywalker or Kenobi descendant. Should Rey be a clone of Palpatine or Anakin instead, this would give fans the ties into the widerStar Wars world they're evidently seeking, but in a more unconventional way.
The Rise of Skywalker acts as the conclusion to the Skywalker saga and the culmination of a series that has spanned decades. The overarching theme of Light vs. Dark will undoubtedly be at the center of the finale, as will the role of destiny and fate in a person's individual journey. Rey being a clone would perfectly encapsulate all of these motifs. A light Rey vs. Dark Rey battle could act as a symbolic representation of the ongoing battle between the two sides of the Force inStar Wars mythology, but it would also be in keeping with the franchise's themes of an underdog struggling against a greater power.
Related: Star Wars Provides Canon Reason Why Sequel Trilogy Has So Many Old Ships
If Rey is merely a clone of the original Dark Rey, not only should she be weaker, but she should also be evil. By joining the Resistance and becoming a Jedi,Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker sends out the heartwarming message that no person's fate is ever sealed by their DNA and upbringing; that a person can choose their moral path and what they do with their abilities. By overcoming her original dark self, Rey would also prove that, just like the Rebel Alliance, someone with no hope of victory can overcome the odds with enough guts, hard work and courage.
More: Everything We Know About Luke Skywalker's Role In Star Wars 9
Key Release Dates
Death Stranding: What Exactly Are BTs?
Tags:star wars,star wars 9
- A clone of the endangered Przewalski's horse is born of DNA saved for 40 years - CNN - September 16th, 2020
- Meet Dr. Gregg Veneklasen, the vet behind the worlds only cloned Przewalski horse - Jill Lopez - September 16th, 2020
- Biotechs in California developing COVID-blocking nasal spray with cloned antibodies - kjrh.com - September 16th, 2020
- Indian Railways: 20 pairs of clone trains running from September 21st, no waiting tickets, see full list of trains here. IRCTC last update: Indian... - September 16th, 2020
- Heir to the first domestic horse is cloned - Explica - September 16th, 2020
- First Clone of Endangered Przewalskis Horse Born in Conservation Effort to Save the Species - TIME - September 6th, 2020
- Cloning Crescendo: US Open Computer Crowd Noise Fills The Void of No Fans - Tennis Now - September 6th, 2020
- Can love be replicated? - The Times of India Blog - September 6th, 2020
- Growing Focus on Product Innovation Likely to Impact the Growth of the Fosmid Cloning Market 2017 2025 - StartupNG - September 6th, 2020
- 'They Cloned Tyrone' Adds Jamie Foxx and Teyonah Parris to the Netflix Sci-Fi Mystery - /FILM - September 4th, 2020
- Voice Cloning Market Expected to Boost the Global Industry Growth in the Near Future - The News Brok - September 4th, 2020
- 5Ws+1H: How It's Done: Card holders can save money by growing their own - Tahlequah Daily Press - September 4th, 2020
- Voice Cloning Market Future Growth Analysis, Business Demand and Opportunities to 2026 | Google, Lyrebird, Nuance Communications, Baidu, Microsoft -... - September 4th, 2020
- Global Voice Cloning Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast (2019-2026) by Component, Application, Deployment mode, and Region. - Galus Australis - September 4th, 2020
- Enhancing the Butyrylcholinesterase Activity in HEK-293 Cell Line by D | DDDT - Dove Medical Press - September 4th, 2020
- Global Electrocompetent Cells Market 2020 | Know the Companies List Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the Impact of COVID-19 | Top... - September 2nd, 2020
- Voice Cloning Market analyzes the impact followed by restraints and opportunities and projected developments (2020-2027) - The PRNews Pulse - September 2nd, 2020
- Global Voice Cloning Market Growth Rate and Opportunities By 2025 With COVID-19 Outbreak, Top Players: IBM, Google, Lyrebird, Nuance Communications,... - September 2nd, 2020
- VMware expands cloud services and cloning capabilities with Horizon 8 release - TechRepublic - August 10th, 2020
- Spelunky 2 has a cloning gun, flamethrower and turkeys - Eurogamer.net - August 10th, 2020
- Fosmid Cloning Market : Latest Innovations, Drivers and Industry Key Events 2019-2025 - My Amazon Echo - August 8th, 2020
- Criminals Find a Way to Clone EMV Cards - Decipher - August 7th, 2020
- Global Voice Cloning Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast (2019-2026) by Component, Application, Deployment mode, and Region. - Red & Black... - August 4th, 2020
- Audio Deepfakes: Can Anyone Tell If Theyre Fake? - How-To Geek - August 4th, 2020
- Hard Drive Cloning Software Market Analysis by Size, Share, Growth, Application, Segmentation and Forecast to 2027 - Owned - July 31st, 2020
- Congress grills Facebook over its acquisitions and feature cloning - Engadget - July 31st, 2020
- This Is How A Deepfake Voice Clone Sounds Like (Clip Taken From A Real Scam) - Digital Information World - July 31st, 2020
- Hard Drive Cloning Software Market To Witness Growth Acceleration During 2020 to 2026 - Express Journal - July 31st, 2020
- How to git clone on Ubuntu with GitLab and GitHub - TheServerSide.com - July 30th, 2020
- How Cloning Works | HowStuffWorks - July 29th, 2020
- Cloning Fact Sheet - Genome.gov - July 29th, 2020
- Cloning: Types, Technique, Animals and More - July 29th, 2020
- cloning | Definition, Process, & Types | Britannica - July 29th, 2020
- COVID 19 Impact on Voice Cloning Market 2020 Global Industry Size, Share, Trends, Growth Application and Top Key Players are IBM, Lyrebird. Google,... - July 29th, 2020
- Star Wars: 5 Things Attack Of The Clones Got Right (& 5 It Got Wrong) - Screen Rant - July 25th, 2020
- Thousands of these self-cloning ticks have been known to attack animals. They're now in Kentucky - messenger-inquirer - July 24th, 2020
- New Star Wars Theory Explains Why Palpatine Had So Many Snoke Clones - We Got This Covered - July 24th, 2020
- ATM card cloning gang busted - United News of India - July 24th, 2020
- ATM playing cards have been cloned and used to interrupt into the account, two arrested - Pledge Times - July 24th, 2020
- Global Voice Cloning Market 2025 Potential Scope for Growth in This Pandamic : IBM, Google, Lyrebird, Nuance Communications, Baidu, etc. - 3rd Watch... - July 24th, 2020
- Asexual self-cloning ticks that can kill livestock are closing in on Maine - Bangor Daily News - July 21st, 2020
- Elite bulls cloned at CIRB - The Tribune India - July 20th, 2020
- AweClone for Mac 2.9 Becomes the Most Preferred Disk Cloning Software - Press Release - Digital Journal - July 20th, 2020
- Cyber cell warns against downloading cloned apps - The Tribune India - July 20th, 2020
- Nosy Ballito resident busts card cloning syndicate - The Citizen - July 20th, 2020
- Chingari Bets On Cloning TikTok And Indias Nationalist Sentiment To Drive Its Growth - Inc42 Media - July 20th, 2020
- Value of Fosmid Cloning Market Predicted to Surpass US$ by the of 2017 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 20th, 2020
- COVID-19 Update: Global Voice Cloning Market is Expected to Grow at a Healthy CAGR with top players IBM, Google, Lyrebird, Nuance Communications, etc... - July 20th, 2020
- Rick and Morty theories: Rick Sanchez is keeping his original body imprisoned - here's how - Express - July 19th, 2020
- These self-cloning ticks could spread to Maine, experts say - WGME - July 19th, 2020
- Voice Cloning Market 2020 | In-Depth Study On The Current State Of The Industry And Key Insights Of The Business Scenario By 2027 - Cole of Duty - July 19th, 2020
- Gurdons frogs, first cloned animals before Dolly the sheep - Explica - July 17th, 2020
- Scarlett Johansson Returning to the MCU as a Natasha Clone Would be a 'Cheap' Way to Bring Her Back - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - July 17th, 2020
- Why we still haven't cloned humans it's not just ethics - Business Insider - Business Insider - July 13th, 2020
- Multiply the Bounty by Cloning Free Plants | MOTHER EARTH NEWS - Mother Earth News - July 13th, 2020
- Cat Cloning Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast Up To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 13th, 2020
- Dog Cloning Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast Up To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 13th, 2020
- JioChat is a WhatsApp clone from the maker of the popular Zoom knockoff - Android Police - July 13th, 2020
- Global Voice Cloning Market is accounted for xx USD million in 2019 and is expected to reach xx USD million by 2025 growing at a CAGR of xx% : IBM,... - July 13th, 2020
- Invasive ticks are spreading without any males - Futurity: Research News - July 13th, 2020
- Multiplying the Bounty: Cloning Free Plants | MOTHER EARTH NEWS - Mother Earth News - July 12th, 2020
- Fosmid Cloning Market 2020 | Size and Forecast Research 2025 With Covid-19 Impact Analysis And Top Performing Players (Bio S?T, Illumina, Lucigen... - July 12th, 2020
- It's Time to Rethink How You Handle Cloning Out Distractions - Fstoppers - July 11th, 2020
- Global Synthetic Biolog Market 2020 COVID-19 Updated Analysis By Product (Xeno-nucleic Acids (XNA), Oligonucleotides, Chassis Organisms, Enzymes,... - July 11th, 2020
- Thieves cloning ATM cards to steal cash | Local News | times-news.com - Cumberland Times-News - June 22nd, 2020
- Stranger Things Season 4 Hopper Villain Theory - David Harbour's Character Is Alive, But He Might Be a Villain - Esquire.com - June 22nd, 2020
- WindowsFX is a Windows 10 clone Linux distro that you can install up to a Raspberry Pi - Explica - June 22nd, 2020
- Stranger Things Season 4 Theory: The Jim Hopper In Russia Is A CLONE - Screen Rant - June 15th, 2020
- Rick and Morty theories: Star Trek reference reveals neither Beth is a clone in the finale - Express - June 15th, 2020
- Star Wars Lando Calrissian was very different in the early drafts - digitalspy.com - June 15th, 2020
- Marbled crayfish that reproduces by cloning added to Michigan's prohibited species list - Detroit Free Press - May 19th, 2020
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons - How To Clone Any Item In The Game - TheGamer - May 19th, 2020
- Coronavirus clone from Switzerland goes 'viral' - Innovation Origins - May 9th, 2020
- A 'Star Wars' Fan Explained How the Palpatine Clone Was Teased Long Before 'The Rise of Skywalker' - Esquire - May 9th, 2020
- Semyon Grigoryev, scientist captivated by the dream of cloning woolly mammoths back to life - The Siberian Times - May 9th, 2020
- Chinas scientists accused of playing God by creating monstrous cloned apes and primates with human organs - The Sun - May 9th, 2020
- WATCH: Thieves break into vehicles parked on driveways as fears over 'cloned keys' rise - Basingstoke Gazette - May 9th, 2020
- Bidooh co-founders admit cloning business to sell to third parties - Prolific North - April 26th, 2020
- This self-cloning crayfish is scuttling into rivers and streams throughout Alberta - CBC.ca - April 26th, 2020
- Pet Cloning Market Overview, Top Companies, Region, Application and Global Forecast by 2026 - Latest Herald - April 26th, 2020