CouldStar Wars: The Rise of Skywalker's Dark Rey actually be the original iteration of the character, and the one fighting for the Resistance merely a clone? Rey's ancestry was all set to dominate conversation surrounding the character leading up toThe Rise of Skywalker, but then along came trailer footage that altered that discourse completely. In the movie's second trailer, a brief shot was includedthat hinted either towards Reybeing tempted to the Dark Side, or to some other evil incarnation of the character existing. This version of Rey is dressed in a black, hooded cloak, demonstrating fashion sense similar to the Sith and, more tellingly, she also wields a red double-bladed lightsaber that folds out with a dramatic snap.
Of course, there's a distinct possibility that the appearance of Dark Rey takes place in the context of some kind of dream or vision. This would certainly be a cheap trick for aStar Wars trailer to pull, but plenty of other films have been guilty of something similar. In the case of Dark Rey, however, the scene doesn't feel like an illusion.If Rey was simply dreaming up an evil version of herself (similar to how Luke sees himself as Darth Vader inThe Empire Strikes Back), why would she mentally invent a snazzy new lightsaber design that she's never seen previously? This suggests that, whatever other misdirection might be at play, Dark Rey is a real entity.
Related: Everything We Know About Leia's Role In Star Wars 9
Verging into more speculative territory, it looks like Dark Rey may be standing in the same location as Palpatine's throne, which has been seen in subsequent trailers. Daisy Ridley has described portraying this alternate Rey in glowing terms, but the true context of the story remains to be seen. The appearance of Dark Rey fits surprisingly well alongside a number of different fan theories regarding Rey's origins, Palpatine's return and the endgame of the Sith. At the core of this argument is the assertion that the Rey seen inThe Force Awakens andThe Last Jedi is NOT the original article - but Dark Rey is.
Emperor Palpatine is making his glorious return inThe Rise of Skywalker and the simultaneous debut of Dark Rey is unlikely to be a coincidence. Aside from dominating and ruling the galaxy, Palpatine's main goal throughout theStar Wars series has been to personally create the perfect Sith to serve as a warrior, and examples of this can be found throughout the villain's fictional history. It's strongly implied that Palpatine was the one who manipulated the Force into conceiving Anakin Skywalker, the boy he would later corrupt and turn into Darth Vader.
However, Palpatine didn't stop there. InThe Clone Wars,the Emperor begins abducting Force-sensitive children, he had a cloning facility built in the oldStar Wars expanded universe and, after Darth Vader's failure at the Battle of Yavin, Palpatine sought to use the Empire's leading scientist to replace Anakin with a cybernetic enforcer. In summary, the Emperor has explored a number of different avenues in his quest to create the perfect warrior, and after Darth Vader turned against him inReturn of the Jedi, a new pet project would've been needed. Enter, the original Rey.
There are severalplaces Palpatine could've drawn a new apprentice from. The group of kidnapped children strong in the Force, his cloning experiments or perhaps even his own bloodline. Dark Rey could originate from any of these sources and have been molded into a powerful and obedient new apprentice during the years Palpatine has been in hiding. However, the Sith leader clearly has a strong interest in the benefits of cloning. If Dark Rey is a regular human, Palpatine might've been tempted to clone her in an attempt to create an army of Sith fighters. If she is a completely bio-engineered creation, perhaps derived from Anakin or Palpatine's DNA, then there are likely a number of other Reys (prototypes, failures, etc.) hidden in the basement of an abandoned Empire facility somewhere out in space.
Related: Star Wars: How The Rise Of Skywalker Can Bring Back Rebels Characters
If the original (dark) Rey has been serving at Palpatine's side as his prized apprentice, whatmight happen if one of her Force-sensitive clonesescaped out into the galaxy? Perhaps this is how Rey ended up abandoned on Jakku; a kindly Stormtrooper or Empire scientist took pity on a child clone and hid her on a desolate planet, rather than leave her to rot along with the other Rey clones or be used as a pawn of the Emperor when she matures into an adult.
This would explain why Rey only has hazy visions of her "parents" saying goodbye on Jakku, as well as accounting for how she's so well-versed in the ways of the Force. If the Rey seen throughoutThe Force Awakens andThe Last Jediwas indeed revealed as a clone, this would also fit neatly alongside what has already been revealed about the character's family history. Kylo Ren described Rey's parents as "nobody," and since he might've known about the Empire's cloning experiments, perhaps the First Order leader was being more literal than he let on. Clones really do have "nobody" as parents, after all. It's also worth noting that when Rey asked the strange Force cave on Ahch-To to reveal her parents, she saw a long line of reflections. At the time, this was seen as a challenge Rey had to get through to reach answers but, once again, it could've been a more literal answer. Lots of Reys = one of many clones.
Both J. J. Abrams and Daisy Ridley have hinted that there's more to Rey's parentage than what was revealed inThe Last Jedi, with some fans left disappointed at the anti-climactic reveal. However, it would be far too predictable at this point if Rey was simply a Skywalker or Kenobi descendant. Should Rey be a clone of Palpatine or Anakin instead, this would give fans the ties into the widerStar Wars world they're evidently seeking, but in a more unconventional way.
The Rise of Skywalker acts as the conclusion to the Skywalker saga and the culmination of a series that has spanned decades. The overarching theme of Light vs. Dark will undoubtedly be at the center of the finale, as will the role of destiny and fate in a person's individual journey. Rey being a clone would perfectly encapsulate all of these motifs. A light Rey vs. Dark Rey battle could act as a symbolic representation of the ongoing battle between the two sides of the Force inStar Wars mythology, but it would also be in keeping with the franchise's themes of an underdog struggling against a greater power.
Related: Star Wars Provides Canon Reason Why Sequel Trilogy Has So Many Old Ships
If Rey is merely a clone of the original Dark Rey, not only should she be weaker, but she should also be evil. By joining the Resistance and becoming a Jedi,Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker sends out the heartwarming message that no person's fate is ever sealed by their DNA and upbringing; that a person can choose their moral path and what they do with their abilities. By overcoming her original dark self, Rey would also prove that, just like the Rebel Alliance, someone with no hope of victory can overcome the odds with enough guts, hard work and courage.
More: Everything We Know About Luke Skywalker's Role In Star Wars 9
Key Release Dates
Death Stranding: What Exactly Are BTs?
Tags:star wars,star wars 9
- Phish Sends In The Clones As They Float Above MSG, Rescue Squad Saves Trey On NYE [Photos/Videos] - Live for Live Music - January 5th, 2020
- Using ETF clones to save on fees - InvestmentNews - January 5th, 2020
- New State Laws to Astound and Mystify in 2020 - Liberty Nation - January 5th, 2020
- Don't throw food in the trash in Vermont, or ask about salary history in New Jersey. Here are 7 state law changes for 2020 - USA TODAY - January 2nd, 2020
- How Alien: Resurrection Brings Ripley Back From the Dead - Screen Rant - January 2nd, 2020
- Brydges iPad keyboard with trackpad is coming next month for $200 - The Verge - January 2nd, 2020
- Sales Forecasts of Genetically Modified Organisms Market Reveal Positive Outlook Through 2023 - Market Research Sheets - January 2nd, 2020
- Global Voice Cloning Market Expected to Witness a Sustainable Growth over 2028 - Industry Mirror - January 2nd, 2020
- Peter Rhodes on cloning icons, trampling daemons and heroes who deserve massive medals - shropshirestar.com - December 18th, 2019
- Is Baby Yoda Bad to the Bone? This Week's 'The Mandalorian' Has Us Wondering - Decider - December 18th, 2019
- How Is It Possible That Emperor Palpatine Is in The Rise of Skywalker? - The Ringer - December 18th, 2019
- The Avengers Have Been Cloned - By SHIELD?! | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - December 18th, 2019
- Stolen, cloned card complaints more than double in FY19: RBI Ombudsman - The Indian Express - December 18th, 2019
- We need to talk about CRISPR - Horizon magazine - December 18th, 2019
- 20 Questions We Have for the 2020s - Popular Mechanics - November 29th, 2019
- Behind the Mask: Theories and Analysis for Watchmen S1E5 - 25YearsLaterSite.com - November 27th, 2019
- The future of tequila: How clones, bats and biodiversity will help agave survive - The Dallas Morning News - October 24th, 2019
- Eminem 'cloned' conspiracy explodes after rapper releases track 'exposing theory' - Daily Star - October 24th, 2019
- Browns Odell Beckham Jr. said it was his dream to be teammates with Tom Brady - The Boston Globe - October 24th, 2019
- Aliens Already Invaded Earth With Tiny Probes, New Study Claims - International Business Times - October 24th, 2019
- 10 Technologies From Black Mirror That Have Already Been Invented - Screen Rant - October 24th, 2019
- How 'Gemini Man' Gets Human Cloning Wrong - Hollywood Reporter - October 16th, 2019
- What it's like to have Apple rip off your successful Mac app - Boing Boing - October 16th, 2019
- World's first cloned cow Kaga dies aged 21 outliving twin who died last year - Daily Star - October 16th, 2019
- New Apple Card Fraud Case Shows Cloning Might Not Be the Only Concern - Softpedia News - October 16th, 2019
- Tech company will pay $130K to put your face on a line of robots - New York Post - October 16th, 2019
- Something exciting is coming with Ubuntu 19.10 - TechRepublic - October 16th, 2019
- 'Gemini Man' Review: Uncle Kill and the Fresh Prince Star In Moron Clone Wars - Pajiba - October 16th, 2019
- Fosmid Cloning Market 2019, Trend, CAGR Status, Growth, Analysis and Forecast to 2024 - TheFinanceTime - October 16th, 2019
- Bacterial production and direct functional screening of expanded molecular libraries for discovering inhibitors of protein aggregation - Science... - October 16th, 2019
- 3 Best Ways to Remove a Smiley from Pictures Online - Guiding Tech - October 16th, 2019
- From Gemini Man to Living with Yourself, Hollywood has an obsession with clones - digitalspy.com - October 12th, 2019
- Theatre review: A Life Twice Given - E&T Magazine - October 12th, 2019
- What is Genetic Privacy and Does it Matter? - TechNadu - October 12th, 2019
- 18 Things About Rick And Morty That Make No Sense - TheThings - October 12th, 2019
- Clonaid.com - April 22nd, 2019
- How to clone a laptop hard drive | Knowledge Base - April 22nd, 2019
- Cloning - Wikipedia - April 20th, 2019
- What is Cloning - Learn.Genetics - April 20th, 2019
- Cloning Fact Sheet - National Human Genome Research ... - April 20th, 2019
- Human cloning - Wikipedia - April 20th, 2019
- Cloning - Genetics Generation - April 20th, 2019
- Cloning - Equine Embryo Laboratory - vetmed.tamu.edu - April 20th, 2019
- Cloning: Types, Technique, Animals and More - April 20th, 2019
- PHP: Object Cloning - Manual - March 24th, 2019
- Cloning | Wookieepedia | FANDOM powered by Wikia - February 2nd, 2019
- Cloning a repository - User Documentation - GitHub Help - February 2nd, 2019
- What is Cloning - Genetics - January 4th, 2019
- Cloning Couture | Exploring the world of couture sewing - December 11th, 2018
- Dolly (sheep) - Wikipedia - December 11th, 2018
- Amazon Aurora Fast Database Cloning | AWS News Blog - October 8th, 2018
- Cloning Fact Sheet - National Human Genome Research Institute ... - October 8th, 2018
- Molecular Cloning - July 30th, 2018
- Selected Quotes from Church Documents: On Human Cloning - July 15th, 2018
- What is Cell Phone Cloning - Everything You Need to Know ... - June 10th, 2018
- Logicube - June 10th, 2018
- Cloning Blues - TV Tropes - May 29th, 2018
- Cloning Fact Sheet - National Human Genome Research Institute - March 10th, 2018
- What is Cloning - Learn Genetics - March 4th, 2018
- c# - Deep cloning objects - Stack Overflow - February 23rd, 2018
- Chinese scientists break key barrier by cloning monkeys | Reuters - January 26th, 2018
- Number plate cloning how you could get stung - RACQ Live - August 25th, 2017
- Crooks cloning number plates to lump innocent drivers with fines - 9news.com.au - August 25th, 2017
- Three arrested in Uttarakhand for withdrawing Rs 37 lakh by cloning ... - The New Indian Express - August 25th, 2017
- Three arrested in Uttarakhand for withdrawing Rs 37 lakh by cloning ATM cards - The New Indian Express - August 24th, 2017
- Cloning of debit, credit cards: Key accused held, search on for 4 ... - The Indian Express - August 22nd, 2017
- Physicists measure complementary properties using quantum clones - Phys.Org - August 22nd, 2017
- Nigerian held for duping Delhiites by cloning cards at ATMs - Times of India - August 21st, 2017
- Ghana national held for withdrawing money by cloning ATM cards - Daily News & Analysis - August 18th, 2017
- Nigerian held for duping 100 by cloning cards - Times of India - August 15th, 2017
- Disgraced Korean scientist Hwang Woo-suk loses legal battle over ... - The Korea Herald - August 15th, 2017
- Using 'tap and go' will protect against fraud through 'ghost' EFTPOS terminals, police say - ABC Online - August 15th, 2017
- DollyWould: Sh!t Theatre's fringe tribute to the country singer and the cloned sheep - The Guardian - August 15th, 2017
- 'Card cloning' device puts key card entry at risk - WTHR - August 14th, 2017
- CRISPR-Cleaned Piglets Have Been Cloned for Organ Donation - Big Think - August 14th, 2017
- Fast facts about cloning - WPSD Local 6: Your news, weather, and sports authority - WPSD Local 6 - August 13th, 2017
- China's cloning of genetically modified dogs for research raises concerns - SBS - August 12th, 2017
- Orphan Black is ending, but how far has human cloning come? - The Verge - August 11th, 2017
- Over 50 Nalasopara residents lose Rs 10 lakh to debit card cloning - Times of India - August 11th, 2017
- Scientists are Getting Closer To Using Pig Organs For Human Transplants - TIME - August 11th, 2017