Peter Kelly last wore a United States Air Force uniform in the mid-1980s, but his time in the service has had a lasting impact. He started as a behavioral science specialist before entering the private health care field to work with Alzheimers and dementia patients.
I think veterans should be proud of who they are what they did, Kelly said.
However, Kelly said his time in the Air Force was marred by witnessing several traumatic events. He also said it was his job to perform psychological testing to determine who was gay so the military could start the discharge process.
Me, thinking, oh my gosh, Im gay, and now Im kicking people out, Kelly said. So theres a lot of guilt involved.
Kelly said he was later diagnosed with major depression and cognitive deficits. He now attends a weekly gay support group at Hines VA.
In recent years, Kelly was approved to receive government disability payments. His funds, which he called his lifeline, were loaded on to a debit card.
I was so happy about that because I felt like I was a burden on the whole world, Kelly said. I was more used to being independent.
Still a proud veteran, Kelly chose to show his support last year by purchasing an Air Force license plate frame from an online company. He used his disability debit card to pay for it, but last December he noticed his account was nearly wiped out.
Kelly learned that someone had obtained his payment information to order $13,479 worth of items, including jewelry, shoes and dozens of pizzas.
The day that I found out that that had happened to me, I mean, my heart was crushed, Kelly said.
Kelly closed his disability debit card account and filed a claim. He also transferred his disability payments to a traditional bank account. Kelly also received a letter in January from the online company that sold the license plate frame, saying they were victims of a cyberattack and warning that the security of his payment information could be at risk.
Months later, however, Kelly said he still had not received an update on his claim. He said every time he contacted the card reseller, he could not get through to an investigator.
NBC 5 Responds contacted the Social Security Administration, which handles disability payments, However, the agency said identity theft was not within its purview.
But after NBC 5 Responds reached out to card reseller SVM, a representative immediately checked into Kellys claim. According to SVM, the claim was legitimate but had fallen through the cracks and should have been resolved earlier this year.
The card reseller then mailed Kelly a check for $13,479.
Im really happy to at least have that buffer to have back there in case theres an emergency or something, Kelly said.
Published at 10:37 PM CDT on Aug 10, 2017 | Updated 32 minutes ago
See the article here:
Veteran's Disability Payments Compromised in Cyber Attack - NBC Chicago
- Seniors enter final year of school at UMFK - WAGM - September 8th, 2017
- Virtual Reality Can Make a Remote Crisis Real and Spur Effective Responses - University of Virginia - September 8th, 2017
- International research powerhouses join forces to advance study of life on Earth - Washington University in St. Louis Newsroom - September 6th, 2017
- Taking Advantage Of Behavioral Economics Can Get Aid To More ... - Fast Company - September 6th, 2017
- SRU completes busy summer of campus improvements - Allied News - September 4th, 2017
- Mayor Jim Kenney wants to clean up 'Filthadelphia' and he's enlisting Penn's help - The Daily Pennsylvanian - September 4th, 2017
- Meditation expert tells us what the science really says and why multitasking is a 'myth' - Southernminn.com - September 3rd, 2017
- Losing weight for the couch potato and others - The Washington Post - Washington Post - September 3rd, 2017
- Self-driving cars still can't mimic the most natural human behavior - Quartz - September 3rd, 2017
- Brain researchers in uproar over NIH clinical trials policy - Nature.com - September 3rd, 2017
- Mnoa volcanologists receive top international awards - UH System Current News - August 30th, 2017
- Developing technology with advisors at heart - Financial Planning - August 30th, 2017
- Text Messaging Initiative Will Nudge STEM Students Toward Success - Campus Technology - August 30th, 2017
- Sales Incentives and Machine Learning: Intelligently Motivate Revenue-Driving Behaviors - Customer Think - August 30th, 2017
- Basic studies of how our brains work are now clinical trials, NIH says - Science Magazine - August 27th, 2017
- How Overcoming Demands on Attention Can Help Alleviate Poverty - Newswise (press release) - August 24th, 2017
- Diverse programming and experiential learning top of mind for SEHHB Interim Dean Paul Rose - RiverBender.com - August 23rd, 2017
- Sylvia Sims Bolton appointed new Waukegan 1st Ward alderman - Chicago Tribune - August 23rd, 2017
- Science and Society on the Vineyard - Martha's Vineyard Times - August 23rd, 2017
- Scientists give star treatment to lesser-known cells crucial for brain development - Seacoastonline.com - August 20th, 2017
- Leveraging The Power of Behavioral Science in Banking - The Financial Brand - August 18th, 2017
- City Officials Turn To Behavioral Science To Improve Government Services - CBS Philly - August 18th, 2017
- MVC selects ISU's Goy for Hall of Fame - Bloomington Pantagraph - August 11th, 2017
- Suicide Rate Hit 40-Year Peak Among Older Teen Girls In 2015 - LEX18 Lexington KY News - August 6th, 2017
- The Case for Giving Health-Care Consumers a 'Nudge' - Wall Street Journal (subscription) - June 26th, 2017
- CPS draws on psychology to motivate customers to cut energy use in new program - mySanAntonio.com - June 12th, 2017
- Want To Employ Behavioral Science For Good? Here's A Helpful Collection Of Ideas - Fast Company - June 11th, 2017
- Ecologists protest sudden end of NSF dissertation grants - Science Magazine - June 9th, 2017
- Behavioral 'Nudges' Offer a Cost-Effective Policy Tool - Harvard Business School - June 9th, 2017
- New report: Social, behavioral, and economic sciences contribute to advancing NSF mission - Phys.Org - June 9th, 2017
- Top Schools for Behavioral Science - Study.com - June 8th, 2017
- Maritz Improves Business Performance with Innovative Behavioral Science - EQ - Entrepreneur Quarterly (press release) (subscription) (blog) - June 8th, 2017
- The Behavioral Economics of Why Executives Underinvest in Cybersecurity - Harvard Business Review - June 8th, 2017
- UL Lafayette to offer online General Studies degree program - KATC.com | Continuous News Coverage | Acadiana ... - KATC Lafayette News - June 8th, 2017
- Scientists use wearables to track patient data - Medical Xpress - June 8th, 2017
- Stanford Research on Sex Differences Reveals a Leftist Rejection of ... - Breitbart News - June 6th, 2017
- The New Way To Prevent Anxiety in Kids - TIME - June 6th, 2017
- Chapman University's Physical Therapy Program receives 10-year Accreditation - Chapman University: Happenings (blog) - June 6th, 2017
- Cops speak less respectfully to black community members - Stanford University News - June 6th, 2017
- What millennials really want in the workplace - CBS News - June 5th, 2017
- A Periodic Table of Behavior for Psychology - Psychology Today (blog) - June 4th, 2017
- LOOSE ENDS: Eldar Shafir on the effects scarcity - centraljersey.com - June 4th, 2017
- People trust science. So why don't they believe it? - WXIA-TV - June 4th, 2017
- Behavioral science hacks for your next speaking opportunity - SmartBrief (registration) (blog) - June 3rd, 2017
- SHOP TALK: Eldar Shafir on the effects scarcity - centraljersey.com - June 3rd, 2017
- People trust science. So why don't they believe it? - KING5.com - June 3rd, 2017
- Why Mainstream Media Need to Be Careful About Criticizing Conservatives - Patheos (blog) - June 3rd, 2017
- People trust science. So why don't they believe it? - WGRZ-TV - June 2nd, 2017
- UB program for underrepresented minority students in biomedical PhD programs wins coveted renewal - UB News Center - June 2nd, 2017
- Why Mainstream Media Need to Be Careful About Criticizing Conservatives - HuffPost - June 2nd, 2017
- Turn college debt into an investment - Green Bay Press Gazette - June 1st, 2017
- Are Behavioral Science, Customer Centricity And Customer Experience Compatible? - Forbes - June 1st, 2017
- To Counter Opioid Crisis, NIH Pushes Researchers to Invent More Drugs - The Chronicle of Higher Education (subscription) - June 1st, 2017
- Eco-Pass fee increase fight ramps up - La Voz Weekly - June 1st, 2017
- Scientists Want a Vaccine to Protect Readers From Fake News - Sputnik International - June 1st, 2017
- Behavioral neuroscience - Wikipedia - May 31st, 2017
- Wright State spinoff closes on $680K in funding - Dayton Business Journal - May 31st, 2017
- How To Navigate Your Child's Adolescence46:37 - WBUR - May 30th, 2017
- FRC Class of 2017 - Plumas County Newspapers - May 28th, 2017
- Can a Fidget Spinner Really Help You Focus? - Big Think - May 28th, 2017
- How Can Facts Trump Ideology? - Patheos (blog) - May 28th, 2017
- Nearly 1600 Santa Rosa Junior College students receive diplomas in class of 2017 - Santa Rosa Press Democrat - May 28th, 2017
- How Laws of Physics Govern Growth in Business and in Cities - New York Times - May 26th, 2017
- Lodi senior earns 9 associate degrees, picks UC Davis over 11 others - Sacramento Bee - May 26th, 2017
- Duke Hosts Precision Medicine World Conference - Duke Today (blog) - May 25th, 2017
- American Association of Behavioral and Social Sciences - May 25th, 2017
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy| Psychiatry Conference ... - May 25th, 2017
- The president's budget proposal threatens science - The Hill (blog) - May 25th, 2017
- Celebrating Nearly 11,500 Graduates at CSUN Commencement ... - CSUN Today - May 25th, 2017
- Comments Off on Celebrating Nearly 11500 Graduates at CSUN Commencement 2017 - CSUN Today - May 24th, 2017
- Some Social Scientists Are Tired of Asking for Permission - New York Times - May 23rd, 2017
- Policymakers around the world are embracing behavioural science - The Economist - May 22nd, 2017
- Western Wayne students participate in PJAS competition - News ... - Scranton Times-Tribune - May 22nd, 2017
- What behavioral finance can teach us about markets and ourselves - InvestmentNews - May 22nd, 2017
- Behavioral Science - Psychology | Behavioral Science | Home - May 21st, 2017
- Sometimes, Facts Can Actually Trump Ideology - Scientific American (blog) - May 20th, 2017
- UVU's largest college appoints a new dean - Daily Herald - May 20th, 2017
- The effect of Moore's Law on behavioral marketing - MarTech Today - May 20th, 2017
- Charles Murray is once again peddling junk science about race and IQ - Vox - May 18th, 2017
- Fidget Toys Aren't Just Hype - Scientific American - May 18th, 2017