Utah Valley University in Orem has announced two new deans.
Steven Clark will replace David Yells as the dean of the College of Humanities and Social Sciences after Yells left the university to become the provost and vice president for academic affairs at Texas A&M Texarkana.
Clark has been the colleges interim dean since the first of the year.
Stephen Pullen will be the universitys next dean and artistic director of the School of Arts, effective July 1. He will replace K. Newell Dayley, who is retiring.
Clark intends to spend his first few months listening to individuals with UVUs different colleges and departments.
His appointment as dean of UVUs largest college was effective immediately. The College of Humanities and Social Sciences is made up of the behavioral science, communication, English and literature, history and political science, integrated studies, languages and cultures, and philosophy and humanities departments.
Clark has previously been a member and president of UVUs Faculty Senate, an associate dean for the College of Humanities and Social Sciences and was the chair of the Department of Behavioral Sciences. He joined UVUs staff in 2000 after spending time as an assistant professor at Lamar University and a lecturer at the University of New Hampshire.
While he said he does miss teaching as hes moved into administrative duties, hes also enjoyed the challenges the new positions have brought.
I enjoy teaching because you see in the students that they learn something new, but I also like the idea of working at the institutional level with systems and processes and making changes that will affect a lot more students than I can teach personally, Clark said.
Clark said hes supportive of UVU administration as it works with the Legislature for funds as the university grows.
One of his biggest priorities right now is also student success. Clark said he wants more students to be involved on campus and be engaged with the community and their courses. That can be difficult, especially on a commuter campus where many students are nontraditional, work full-time or have children.
He said he recently had a dinner with students who said getting involved, whether it was in student government, in a club or in a research experience, made a difference to him.
It was like a transformative experience to get really involved and not just go back and forth between their classroom and their apartment and work, Clark said.
Read the original here:
UVU's largest college appoints a new dean - Daily Herald
- Seniors enter final year of school at UMFK - WAGM - September 8th, 2017
- Virtual Reality Can Make a Remote Crisis Real and Spur Effective Responses - University of Virginia - September 8th, 2017
- International research powerhouses join forces to advance study of life on Earth - Washington University in St. Louis Newsroom - September 6th, 2017
- Taking Advantage Of Behavioral Economics Can Get Aid To More ... - Fast Company - September 6th, 2017
- SRU completes busy summer of campus improvements - Allied News - September 4th, 2017
- Mayor Jim Kenney wants to clean up 'Filthadelphia' and he's enlisting Penn's help - The Daily Pennsylvanian - September 4th, 2017
- Meditation expert tells us what the science really says and why multitasking is a 'myth' - Southernminn.com - September 3rd, 2017
- Losing weight for the couch potato and others - The Washington Post - Washington Post - September 3rd, 2017
- Self-driving cars still can't mimic the most natural human behavior - Quartz - September 3rd, 2017
- Brain researchers in uproar over NIH clinical trials policy - Nature.com - September 3rd, 2017
- Mnoa volcanologists receive top international awards - UH System Current News - August 30th, 2017
- Developing technology with advisors at heart - Financial Planning - August 30th, 2017
- Text Messaging Initiative Will Nudge STEM Students Toward Success - Campus Technology - August 30th, 2017
- Sales Incentives and Machine Learning: Intelligently Motivate Revenue-Driving Behaviors - Customer Think - August 30th, 2017
- Basic studies of how our brains work are now clinical trials, NIH says - Science Magazine - August 27th, 2017
- How Overcoming Demands on Attention Can Help Alleviate Poverty - Newswise (press release) - August 24th, 2017
- Diverse programming and experiential learning top of mind for SEHHB Interim Dean Paul Rose - RiverBender.com - August 23rd, 2017
- Sylvia Sims Bolton appointed new Waukegan 1st Ward alderman - Chicago Tribune - August 23rd, 2017
- Science and Society on the Vineyard - Martha's Vineyard Times - August 23rd, 2017
- Scientists give star treatment to lesser-known cells crucial for brain development - Seacoastonline.com - August 20th, 2017
- Leveraging The Power of Behavioral Science in Banking - The Financial Brand - August 18th, 2017
- City Officials Turn To Behavioral Science To Improve Government Services - CBS Philly - August 18th, 2017
- Veteran's Disability Payments Compromised in Cyber Attack - NBC Chicago - August 11th, 2017
- MVC selects ISU's Goy for Hall of Fame - Bloomington Pantagraph - August 11th, 2017
- Suicide Rate Hit 40-Year Peak Among Older Teen Girls In 2015 - LEX18 Lexington KY News - August 6th, 2017
- The Case for Giving Health-Care Consumers a 'Nudge' - Wall Street Journal (subscription) - June 26th, 2017
- CPS draws on psychology to motivate customers to cut energy use in new program - mySanAntonio.com - June 12th, 2017
- Want To Employ Behavioral Science For Good? Here's A Helpful Collection Of Ideas - Fast Company - June 11th, 2017
- Ecologists protest sudden end of NSF dissertation grants - Science Magazine - June 9th, 2017
- Behavioral 'Nudges' Offer a Cost-Effective Policy Tool - Harvard Business School - June 9th, 2017
- New report: Social, behavioral, and economic sciences contribute to advancing NSF mission - Phys.Org - June 9th, 2017
- Top Schools for Behavioral Science - Study.com - June 8th, 2017
- Maritz Improves Business Performance with Innovative Behavioral Science - EQ - Entrepreneur Quarterly (press release) (subscription) (blog) - June 8th, 2017
- The Behavioral Economics of Why Executives Underinvest in Cybersecurity - Harvard Business Review - June 8th, 2017
- UL Lafayette to offer online General Studies degree program - KATC.com | Continuous News Coverage | Acadiana ... - KATC Lafayette News - June 8th, 2017
- Scientists use wearables to track patient data - Medical Xpress - June 8th, 2017
- Stanford Research on Sex Differences Reveals a Leftist Rejection of ... - Breitbart News - June 6th, 2017
- The New Way To Prevent Anxiety in Kids - TIME - June 6th, 2017
- Chapman University's Physical Therapy Program receives 10-year Accreditation - Chapman University: Happenings (blog) - June 6th, 2017
- Cops speak less respectfully to black community members - Stanford University News - June 6th, 2017
- What millennials really want in the workplace - CBS News - June 5th, 2017
- A Periodic Table of Behavior for Psychology - Psychology Today (blog) - June 4th, 2017
- LOOSE ENDS: Eldar Shafir on the effects scarcity - centraljersey.com - June 4th, 2017
- People trust science. So why don't they believe it? - WXIA-TV - June 4th, 2017
- Behavioral science hacks for your next speaking opportunity - SmartBrief (registration) (blog) - June 3rd, 2017
- SHOP TALK: Eldar Shafir on the effects scarcity - centraljersey.com - June 3rd, 2017
- People trust science. So why don't they believe it? - KING5.com - June 3rd, 2017
- Why Mainstream Media Need to Be Careful About Criticizing Conservatives - Patheos (blog) - June 3rd, 2017
- People trust science. So why don't they believe it? - WGRZ-TV - June 2nd, 2017
- UB program for underrepresented minority students in biomedical PhD programs wins coveted renewal - UB News Center - June 2nd, 2017
- Why Mainstream Media Need to Be Careful About Criticizing Conservatives - HuffPost - June 2nd, 2017
- Turn college debt into an investment - Green Bay Press Gazette - June 1st, 2017
- Are Behavioral Science, Customer Centricity And Customer Experience Compatible? - Forbes - June 1st, 2017
- To Counter Opioid Crisis, NIH Pushes Researchers to Invent More Drugs - The Chronicle of Higher Education (subscription) - June 1st, 2017
- Eco-Pass fee increase fight ramps up - La Voz Weekly - June 1st, 2017
- Scientists Want a Vaccine to Protect Readers From Fake News - Sputnik International - June 1st, 2017
- Behavioral neuroscience - Wikipedia - May 31st, 2017
- Wright State spinoff closes on $680K in funding - Dayton Business Journal - May 31st, 2017
- How To Navigate Your Child's Adolescence46:37 - WBUR - May 30th, 2017
- FRC Class of 2017 - Plumas County Newspapers - May 28th, 2017
- Can a Fidget Spinner Really Help You Focus? - Big Think - May 28th, 2017
- How Can Facts Trump Ideology? - Patheos (blog) - May 28th, 2017
- Nearly 1600 Santa Rosa Junior College students receive diplomas in class of 2017 - Santa Rosa Press Democrat - May 28th, 2017
- How Laws of Physics Govern Growth in Business and in Cities - New York Times - May 26th, 2017
- Lodi senior earns 9 associate degrees, picks UC Davis over 11 others - Sacramento Bee - May 26th, 2017
- Duke Hosts Precision Medicine World Conference - Duke Today (blog) - May 25th, 2017
- American Association of Behavioral and Social Sciences - May 25th, 2017
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy| Psychiatry Conference ... - May 25th, 2017
- The president's budget proposal threatens science - The Hill (blog) - May 25th, 2017
- Celebrating Nearly 11,500 Graduates at CSUN Commencement ... - CSUN Today - May 25th, 2017
- Comments Off on Celebrating Nearly 11500 Graduates at CSUN Commencement 2017 - CSUN Today - May 24th, 2017
- Some Social Scientists Are Tired of Asking for Permission - New York Times - May 23rd, 2017
- Policymakers around the world are embracing behavioural science - The Economist - May 22nd, 2017
- Western Wayne students participate in PJAS competition - News ... - Scranton Times-Tribune - May 22nd, 2017
- What behavioral finance can teach us about markets and ourselves - InvestmentNews - May 22nd, 2017
- Behavioral Science - Psychology | Behavioral Science | Home - May 21st, 2017
- Sometimes, Facts Can Actually Trump Ideology - Scientific American (blog) - May 20th, 2017
- The effect of Moore's Law on behavioral marketing - MarTech Today - May 20th, 2017
- Charles Murray is once again peddling junk science about race and IQ - Vox - May 18th, 2017
- Fidget Toys Aren't Just Hype - Scientific American - May 18th, 2017