Students at De Anza College are ramping up the fight to oppose the proposed increase of the Eco-pass fee from $9 to $40. The VTA board will vote on the issue at their June 1 board meeting.
Over this past week, organizers leading the opposition from De Anza have met with many VTA board members including Chappie Jones and Cindy Chavez.
They have also received endorsements from De Anza College, the Associated Students of San Jose State and Foothill College, Assemblymembers Evan Low and Ash Kalra, Congressman Ro Khanna, and the Amalgamated Bus Union.
Chi Tran, 21, environmental economics and public policy major; Neil McClintick, 20, political science major; Raphael Villagracia, 19, political science major, and Eddie Cisneros, 23, public health major, met board member Jones, who was not very receptive to students concerns, at the West Valley Branch Library for a second meeting.
We brought him our statistics and proposals for a solution, Tran said. He was very impressed with us and we might convince him a bit more than the first time.
Tran; McClintick; Cisneros; Desiree Humphers, 20, liberal arts and behavioral science major; and Patrick Ahrens, advisor to California Assemblymember Evan Low, met with board member Chavez at the Santa Clara County building. Tran said they had a very successful meeting and she was very impressed with Chavez.
She knows her stuff and she will take us very seriously, Tran said. Her goal is to keep public transportation floating, so she is seeking for a sustainable plan.
A few organizations on campus including the ES Committee, TRANSITion and the De Anza Political Revolution are very active on campus in preparation for the upcoming meeting.
TRANSITion is planning to host workshops to create posters, and the De Anza Political Revolution is planning to host workshops to prepare students to give testimonies during the meeting.
April Nicholson, 19, political science major, and member of the DASB Environmental Sustainability Committee and De Anza Political Revolution Club, has been circulating a petition and attending VTA board meetings. She presented the issue and gathered at least 2,180 signatures from 15 classrooms over three days.
Organizers are contacting as many council members as they can as well as receiving support from elected officials, and are trying to get more students involved in the issue.
We really hope students give more attention to this issue, said Tran. Many of us who are organizing this work are leaving the school. It wont affect us, but affect folks that are staying: the future students.
Follow this link:
Eco-Pass fee increase fight ramps up - La Voz Weekly
- Seniors enter final year of school at UMFK - WAGM - September 8th, 2017
- Virtual Reality Can Make a Remote Crisis Real and Spur Effective Responses - University of Virginia - September 8th, 2017
- International research powerhouses join forces to advance study of life on Earth - Washington University in St. Louis Newsroom - September 6th, 2017
- Taking Advantage Of Behavioral Economics Can Get Aid To More ... - Fast Company - September 6th, 2017
- SRU completes busy summer of campus improvements - Allied News - September 4th, 2017
- Mayor Jim Kenney wants to clean up 'Filthadelphia' and he's enlisting Penn's help - The Daily Pennsylvanian - September 4th, 2017
- Meditation expert tells us what the science really says and why multitasking is a 'myth' - Southernminn.com - September 3rd, 2017
- Losing weight for the couch potato and others - The Washington Post - Washington Post - September 3rd, 2017
- Self-driving cars still can't mimic the most natural human behavior - Quartz - September 3rd, 2017
- Brain researchers in uproar over NIH clinical trials policy - Nature.com - September 3rd, 2017
- Mnoa volcanologists receive top international awards - UH System Current News - August 30th, 2017
- Developing technology with advisors at heart - Financial Planning - August 30th, 2017
- Text Messaging Initiative Will Nudge STEM Students Toward Success - Campus Technology - August 30th, 2017
- Sales Incentives and Machine Learning: Intelligently Motivate Revenue-Driving Behaviors - Customer Think - August 30th, 2017
- Basic studies of how our brains work are now clinical trials, NIH says - Science Magazine - August 27th, 2017
- How Overcoming Demands on Attention Can Help Alleviate Poverty - Newswise (press release) - August 24th, 2017
- Diverse programming and experiential learning top of mind for SEHHB Interim Dean Paul Rose - RiverBender.com - August 23rd, 2017
- Sylvia Sims Bolton appointed new Waukegan 1st Ward alderman - Chicago Tribune - August 23rd, 2017
- Science and Society on the Vineyard - Martha's Vineyard Times - August 23rd, 2017
- Scientists give star treatment to lesser-known cells crucial for brain development - Seacoastonline.com - August 20th, 2017
- Leveraging The Power of Behavioral Science in Banking - The Financial Brand - August 18th, 2017
- City Officials Turn To Behavioral Science To Improve Government Services - CBS Philly - August 18th, 2017
- Veteran's Disability Payments Compromised in Cyber Attack - NBC Chicago - August 11th, 2017
- MVC selects ISU's Goy for Hall of Fame - Bloomington Pantagraph - August 11th, 2017
- Suicide Rate Hit 40-Year Peak Among Older Teen Girls In 2015 - LEX18 Lexington KY News - August 6th, 2017
- The Case for Giving Health-Care Consumers a 'Nudge' - Wall Street Journal (subscription) - June 26th, 2017
- CPS draws on psychology to motivate customers to cut energy use in new program - mySanAntonio.com - June 12th, 2017
- Want To Employ Behavioral Science For Good? Here's A Helpful Collection Of Ideas - Fast Company - June 11th, 2017
- Ecologists protest sudden end of NSF dissertation grants - Science Magazine - June 9th, 2017
- Behavioral 'Nudges' Offer a Cost-Effective Policy Tool - Harvard Business School - June 9th, 2017
- New report: Social, behavioral, and economic sciences contribute to advancing NSF mission - Phys.Org - June 9th, 2017
- Top Schools for Behavioral Science - Study.com - June 8th, 2017
- Maritz Improves Business Performance with Innovative Behavioral Science - EQ - Entrepreneur Quarterly (press release) (subscription) (blog) - June 8th, 2017
- The Behavioral Economics of Why Executives Underinvest in Cybersecurity - Harvard Business Review - June 8th, 2017
- UL Lafayette to offer online General Studies degree program - KATC.com | Continuous News Coverage | Acadiana ... - KATC Lafayette News - June 8th, 2017
- Scientists use wearables to track patient data - Medical Xpress - June 8th, 2017
- Stanford Research on Sex Differences Reveals a Leftist Rejection of ... - Breitbart News - June 6th, 2017
- The New Way To Prevent Anxiety in Kids - TIME - June 6th, 2017
- Chapman University's Physical Therapy Program receives 10-year Accreditation - Chapman University: Happenings (blog) - June 6th, 2017
- Cops speak less respectfully to black community members - Stanford University News - June 6th, 2017
- What millennials really want in the workplace - CBS News - June 5th, 2017
- A Periodic Table of Behavior for Psychology - Psychology Today (blog) - June 4th, 2017
- LOOSE ENDS: Eldar Shafir on the effects scarcity - centraljersey.com - June 4th, 2017
- People trust science. So why don't they believe it? - WXIA-TV - June 4th, 2017
- Behavioral science hacks for your next speaking opportunity - SmartBrief (registration) (blog) - June 3rd, 2017
- SHOP TALK: Eldar Shafir on the effects scarcity - centraljersey.com - June 3rd, 2017
- People trust science. So why don't they believe it? - KING5.com - June 3rd, 2017
- Why Mainstream Media Need to Be Careful About Criticizing Conservatives - Patheos (blog) - June 3rd, 2017
- People trust science. So why don't they believe it? - WGRZ-TV - June 2nd, 2017
- UB program for underrepresented minority students in biomedical PhD programs wins coveted renewal - UB News Center - June 2nd, 2017
- Why Mainstream Media Need to Be Careful About Criticizing Conservatives - HuffPost - June 2nd, 2017
- Turn college debt into an investment - Green Bay Press Gazette - June 1st, 2017
- Are Behavioral Science, Customer Centricity And Customer Experience Compatible? - Forbes - June 1st, 2017
- To Counter Opioid Crisis, NIH Pushes Researchers to Invent More Drugs - The Chronicle of Higher Education (subscription) - June 1st, 2017
- Scientists Want a Vaccine to Protect Readers From Fake News - Sputnik International - June 1st, 2017
- Behavioral neuroscience - Wikipedia - May 31st, 2017
- Wright State spinoff closes on $680K in funding - Dayton Business Journal - May 31st, 2017
- How To Navigate Your Child's Adolescence46:37 - WBUR - May 30th, 2017
- FRC Class of 2017 - Plumas County Newspapers - May 28th, 2017
- Can a Fidget Spinner Really Help You Focus? - Big Think - May 28th, 2017
- How Can Facts Trump Ideology? - Patheos (blog) - May 28th, 2017
- Nearly 1600 Santa Rosa Junior College students receive diplomas in class of 2017 - Santa Rosa Press Democrat - May 28th, 2017
- How Laws of Physics Govern Growth in Business and in Cities - New York Times - May 26th, 2017
- Lodi senior earns 9 associate degrees, picks UC Davis over 11 others - Sacramento Bee - May 26th, 2017
- Duke Hosts Precision Medicine World Conference - Duke Today (blog) - May 25th, 2017
- American Association of Behavioral and Social Sciences - May 25th, 2017
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy| Psychiatry Conference ... - May 25th, 2017
- The president's budget proposal threatens science - The Hill (blog) - May 25th, 2017
- Celebrating Nearly 11,500 Graduates at CSUN Commencement ... - CSUN Today - May 25th, 2017
- Comments Off on Celebrating Nearly 11500 Graduates at CSUN Commencement 2017 - CSUN Today - May 24th, 2017
- Some Social Scientists Are Tired of Asking for Permission - New York Times - May 23rd, 2017
- Policymakers around the world are embracing behavioural science - The Economist - May 22nd, 2017
- Western Wayne students participate in PJAS competition - News ... - Scranton Times-Tribune - May 22nd, 2017
- What behavioral finance can teach us about markets and ourselves - InvestmentNews - May 22nd, 2017
- Behavioral Science - Psychology | Behavioral Science | Home - May 21st, 2017
- Sometimes, Facts Can Actually Trump Ideology - Scientific American (blog) - May 20th, 2017
- UVU's largest college appoints a new dean - Daily Herald - May 20th, 2017
- The effect of Moore's Law on behavioral marketing - MarTech Today - May 20th, 2017
- Charles Murray is once again peddling junk science about race and IQ - Vox - May 18th, 2017
- Fidget Toys Aren't Just Hype - Scientific American - May 18th, 2017