Tesla stock (NASDAQ:TSLA) was tops in the NASDAQ on Monday. Shares in the electric carmaker soared 10.15% to close the session at $798.75.
The reason for the surge? Over the weekend, Bloomberg reported Tesla will reopen its Fremont factory as soon as this week. (Those plans were canceled after todays closing bell.)
Tesla bulls are also anticipating a glowing first-quarter earnings report.
Tesla stock charted a remarkable rally since announcing first-quarter deliveries on April 2. The company delivered 88,400 vehicles in the quarter ending March 31.
It was a record-breaking first quarter for the company. By contrast, Teslas second-best Q1 saw 63,000 deliveries in 2019.
That is impressive year-over-year quarterly growth amid the coronavirus pandemic and worst economic crash in living memory. Especially so considering how hard coronavirus hit China and the importance of the Chinese market to Teslas growth.
This growth sent the companys shares soaring an incredible 79% from an April 2 low of $446.40 to Mondays high of $799.49.
But Tesla stock bulls are about to bust their faces when this bubble pops.
Among investors, there is a persistent impression of Tesla as a Silicon Valley software company disguised as a car company. In February, CNBCs Jim Cramer joined Squawk Box to say:
I just think its a technology company. You gotta value it as a technology company now that it has earnings.
It was hardly a new way to look at Tesla. At this point, its a trope.
In May last year, Forbes ran the headline:
Why Tesla is Not a Car Company and What You Can Learn From Elon Musk
That explains its wild valuations. Tech companies often trade at high P/E ratios and price-to-book ratios. Thats because they burn through an enormous amount of capital to reach scale.
Once they do, the successful ones reap enormous, monopolistic profits from total market dominance and softwares negligible cost of distribution.
But Tesla is not a software company.
Tesla stock is perilously overvalued. Unlike tech companies that create and distribute software applications, Tesla sells automobiles. Theres no way around that fact. Its revenue comes almost exclusively from vehicle sales.
Its cost structure is essentially different from that of tech companies. Tesla must burn through an enormous amount of cash to make cars. And it always will to operate its business.
That includes both massive fixed cost overlays and marginal costs per car that are fundamentally different from the software business.
While its easy to get confused because Teslas are innovative all-electric vehicles and do use cutting-edge, proprietary software present valuations arent on the money.
Before the coronavirus pandemic tanked Tesla stock with the rest of equities, it was already dangerously overvalued. In January, its earnings to value ratio was nearly 10 times that of other carmakers. But TSLA just kept rallying into the stratosphere.
By February, Barclays auto analyst Brian Johnson told investors:
Not to sound like an Ok, Boomer to the younger investors rushing into TSLA share, but the recent price action brings to mind NASDAQ c. 1999 We continue to believe TSLA is fundamentally overvalued
This side of the global economy crashing, TSLA is trading nearly as high as it was the day Johnson issued his warning about Tesla to investors.
When this stock reverts to its mean long-run value, itll be a feast for the notorious short-sellers and famine for Tesla bulls.
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in this article do not necessarily reflect the views of CCN.com. The above should not be considered investment advice from CCN.com. The author holds no investment position in TSLA as of the time of writing.
This article was edited by Josiah Wilmoth.
- Elon Musk about to get another $1.8 billion payday from Tesla - CNN - July 12th, 2020
- Nasdaq stocks led by Tesla continue their blistering run while chill envelops rest of the market - CNBC - July 12th, 2020
- Tesla stock surges more than 200% in 2020 three experts on what comes next - CNBC - July 12th, 2020
- Ex-Ford CEO Called It On Tesla [TSLA]: I Think The Stock Is Heading Higher - CleanTechnica - July 12th, 2020
- Tesla adds $14 billion in a day to its valuation, leaves auto giants to eat dust - Hindustan Times - July 12th, 2020
- Tesla gets tax break for proposed $1 billion factory in Austin, Texas - FreightWaves - July 12th, 2020
- Stocks making the biggest moves after hours: Tesla, Red Rock Resorts, Fitbit and more - CNBC - July 12th, 2020
- Nikola CEO explains the competition with Tesla - CNN - July 12th, 2020
- Nasdaq Hits 3rd Straight Record as Tesla Tops $1,500 and Zoom Zooms to New Highs - Motley Fool - July 12th, 2020
- Top Wall Street analysts are betting on stocks like Tesla and Uber for the third quarter - CNBC - July 12th, 2020
- DeSantis: More than 70 Tesla charging stations coming to the Turnpike in Orlando - FOX 35 Orlando - July 12th, 2020
- Tesla and Nikola Stock Have Been on Fire. A California Law Could Drive More Gains. - Barron's - July 12th, 2020
- Tesla cuts price of Model Y SUV by $3,000, Electrek says - Reuters - July 11th, 2020
- Powerwall installation Washington State | Tesla - July 11th, 2020
- Analyst: Tesla And Nikola Are The 'Silent Short Seller Killers' - Benzinga - July 11th, 2020
- Cars, a cocktail and a celebrity: South Koreans succumb to Tesla fever - Reuters - July 11th, 2020
- WIRE Buzz: Malorie movie in early stages; Roswell creator exits; and Tesla trailer - SYFY WIRE - July 11th, 2020
- Tesla electric hatchback: Elon Musk says new car might be designed in Germany - Electrek - July 11th, 2020
- The Zacks Analyst Blog Highlights: Tesla, Toyota, Exxon Mobil, Nikola and Ford Motor Company - Yahoo Finance - July 11th, 2020
- Tesla Model Prices, Photos, News, Reviews and Videos ... - May 19th, 2020
- The Nikola Tesla inventions that should have made ... - CNN - May 19th, 2020
- Nikola Tesla - Inventions, Facts & Death - HISTORY - May 19th, 2020
- What Is Tesla's 'Million Mile' Battery and When Will It Be Revealed? - Newsweek - May 19th, 2020
- Tesla's Return to Work Playbook: Guidance in the Face of Law Violation - Occupational Health and Safety - May 19th, 2020
- Elon Musk says Tesla's full self-driving price to increase July 1 - Business Insider - Business Insider - May 19th, 2020
- Panasonic and Tesla talking battery spend again | Automotive Industry News - just-auto.com - May 19th, 2020
- Wall Street still loves Elon Musk and Tesla. Here's why - CNN - May 19th, 2020
- Check out Teslas impressive chart of pandemics impact on Supercharger use - Electrek - May 19th, 2020
- Tesla Model 3 thief thwarted, locked inside the car by the owner's phone - NZME - May 19th, 2020
- Check Teslas impressive chart of pandemics impact on Supercharger use - Electrek - May 15th, 2020
- Teslas readying a million mile battery that could greatly lower the cost of EVs - The Verge - May 15th, 2020
- Tesla (TSLA) Stock Is a Winner, but Its Valuation Is Getting Stretched - Yahoo Finance - May 15th, 2020
- Tesla owner stops carjacking, thanks to connected Model 3 and dumb thief - Electrek - May 15th, 2020
- Tesla Model X with extreme mileage racked up $29,000 in repair/maintenance and thats good - Electrek - May 15th, 2020
- Stocks making the biggest moves after hours: Adaptive Biotechnologies, Facebook, Tesla and more - CNBC - May 15th, 2020
- Kia to take on Tesla, Porsche and everybody with a sports crossover EV: report - Driving - May 15th, 2020
- Tesla shares are up more than 7% since Elon Musk said the stock was 'too high' - CNBC - May 15th, 2020
- Tesla (unit) - Wikipedia - May 9th, 2020
- Tesla (band) - Wikipedia - May 9th, 2020
- Tesla, Inc. (TSLA) Stock Price, Quote, History & News ... - May 9th, 2020
- Elon Musk lied about the EPAs Tesla Model S test, agency claims - The Verge - May 9th, 2020
- Tesla secures $565 million loan for Shanghai factory - CNBC - May 9th, 2020
- Tesla-Swapped 2004 Ford F-450 Super Duty Is an Electric Truck for the People - The Drive - May 9th, 2020
- Tesla releases new update with improved charging map, toybox, and more - Electrek - May 9th, 2020
- Other Automakers Paid Tesla a Record $354 Million Last Quarter - Car and Driver - May 9th, 2020
- This Tesla Is So Rare, Even Elon Musk Doesn't Have It. But You Could - Gear Patrol - May 9th, 2020
- Why The Tesla Cybertruck Should Be Built In Texas - CarBuzz - May 9th, 2020
- Tesla has a new product: Autobidder, a step toward becoming an electric utility - Electrek - May 3rd, 2020
- Tesla has been getting rid of computers without wiping them compromising customer accounts - Electrek - May 3rd, 2020
- Tech Weekender: Musk's tweets cost Tesla $14bn, Xiaomi's privacy issues and TikTok's 2 billion downloads - Moneycontrol - May 3rd, 2020
- Tesla to extend furlough for some employees by another week: internal email - Reuters - May 3rd, 2020
- VW admits Teslas lead in software and self-driving in internal leak - Electrek - May 3rd, 2020
- Tesla stock is riding high as investors wait to hear effects of coronavirus - MarketWatch - May 3rd, 2020
- Tesla GT Is the Muscle Car Frankenstein No One Asked For - autoevolution - May 3rd, 2020
- Teslas are hard to steal, but three were stolen from a dealership on Friday - BGR - May 3rd, 2020
- Drivers in 3 Stolen Teslas Lead Police on Chase Through Northern Virginia - NBC4 Washington - May 1st, 2020
- Tesla Keeps Beating Expectations. Heres What Wall Street Is Saying About the Stock. - Barron's - May 1st, 2020
- Model Y Body-In-White May Shed Light On Tesla Glass Incidents - InsideEVs - May 1st, 2020
- Tesla Banked On Emission Credits For Q1 Beat, But Outlook Is Tough - Trefis - May 1st, 2020
- Former Tesla and Lyft exec Jon McNeill just launched a fund that plans to spin out its own companies - TechCrunch - May 1st, 2020
- Tesla Posts a 1Q Profit for the First Time - Morningstar.com - May 1st, 2020
- Nio Is Looking to Catch Up With Tesla in China - Investorplace.com - May 1st, 2020
- Teslas Salvaged Vehicles: The Red-Headed Stepchild - Teslarati - May 1st, 2020
- VW CEO Worried About Teslas Industry Lead In Autonomous Tech And Software - InsideEVs - May 1st, 2020
- What's in the Offing for Tesla (TSLA) This Earnings Season? - Yahoo Finance - April 22nd, 2020
- Tesla releases impressive videos of cars avoiding running over pedestrians - Electrek - April 22nd, 2020
- Tesla Model Y Test Drive & Impressions: The Good & The Bad - InsideEVs - April 22nd, 2020
- Teslas latest self-driving visualization comes to life in this impressive picture - Electrek - April 22nd, 2020
- Teslas acquisition of DeepScale starts to pay off with new IP in machine learning - Electrek - April 22nd, 2020
- Fisker Reveals Its Answer To The Tesla Cybertruck - CleanTechnica - April 22nd, 2020
- Tesla Stock Rose for the 9th Straight Day. Heres Whats Behind Its Run. - Barron's - April 22nd, 2020
- Apple Car research focusing on use of Tesla-style induction motor - AppleInsider - April 22nd, 2020
- What To Expect In Tesla Q1 Earnings - City Index - April 22nd, 2020
- Tesla's Bioweapon Filter Is Another Line Of Defense Against COVID-19 - InsideEVs - April 22nd, 2020
- Nio and Tesla turn to live stream events to boost sales - TechNode - April 22nd, 2020
- Tesla Model Prices, Photos, News, Reviews and Videos | Autoblog - February 29th, 2020
- A look at all the different Tesla models, including its Cybertruck - Fox Business - February 29th, 2020
- Is The Model Y Truly The Best Tesla Yet? - InsideEVs - February 29th, 2020
- Power Line: Tesla's solar slide, and the top battery industries - Business Insider - Business Insider - February 29th, 2020
- Volvo Follows Tesla's Lead on EVs by Building Its Own Batteries - Car and Driver - February 29th, 2020