Teslas (TSLA) demand trends across all its models (Model 3, Model S, and Model X) began to decrease after its October earnings. To assess Teslas trends, I used web-based tools, which suggest that demand is falling.
In addition, an analysis of the options market suggests that some traders are actively betting the stock will plunge in the coming weeks. In this article, Ill take a closer look at Teslas Internet traffic trends, technical chart, and options activity. So, lets start.
Over the past 90 days, TSLAs website ranking has decreased to 1,856, which is down from 1,543. This trend suggests that fewer people had visited the website today than 90 days ago, meaning that the demand for information about its vehicles has decreased.
In comparison, the Alexa ranking for the Ford (F) website has increased to 3,481 from 3,493, and the Chevrolet website increased to 6,735 from 10,199 during the same period.
Even with falling Internet traffic, Tesla has a better rank in comparison to Chevrolet and Ford. In addition, the average daily time on site decreased by 8% over the past three months.
Google Trends suggests that the search term Tesla Model 3 has decreased in the US and worldwide since the beginning of October. This downtrend suggests lower interest and possibly lower demand for the vehicle. Moreover, the search trends for Tesla Model S and Tesla Model X havent widely fluctuated over the past year, which suggests a steady low interest for these models.
The implied volatility for the options, at a $250.00 strike price that expires on November 15, stands at 57.33%. This number means that investors are expecting an event that could cause substantial movement in one direction or the other.
Looking at the November 15 options, I see a bid/ask for the $245.00 call option of $15.45/$18.00. Also, I see a bid/ask for the $245.00 put option of $12.65/$15.50. Keep in mind that the options strike is closest to the previous TSLA closing price of $247.89. We can calculate the expected price move using the mid-prices of these options:
14.075 (245.00 put) + 16.725 (245.00 call) = 30.8/247.89= 12.42%
As you can see, the options imply that TSLA stock could rise or fall by ~12% by the November expirations from the $245.00 strike price using the long straddle strategy. This assessment would place the stock in a trading range of $215.60$277.70 by the expiration date. Moreover, the puts at the $245.00 strike price outweigh the call options about 2:1 with 3,471 open puts to 1,801 open calls.
The options, which expire on November 15, saw increased put buying over the past few weeks. According to Barchart.com, the open interest for the $230 puts rose by 1,735 contracts to a total of 7,535 open contracts. For the buyer of the $230 puts to earn a profit, the stock would need to fall to around $219.00.
Also, the open interest levels for the November 15 $220 puts increased significantly over the past week. According to Barchart.com, the open contracts rose by 22,629 contracts to about 24,945. Its a large, bearish bet, as the open interest represents a total dollar value of about $14.3 million. For the buyer of the $220 puts to earn a profit, the stock would need to plunge to around $214.
Looking at the daily chart, we can see whats going on with TSLA. The technical chart for TSLA is bearish and shows a technical pattern knows as a triple top. The pattern suggests that if the stock fails to break out the $250 technical resistance level, the equity could fall to the technical support level, which comes in at a $230 price level.
According to TipRanks, TSLA is a hold with an average price target of $250.50, representing a 1.05% upside. Among the 26 analysts covering TSLA, only seven recommended it as a buy. Eight recommended it as a hold, and 11 recommended it as a sell.
- When Will Tesla Be Added to the S&P 500? - TheStreet - August 10th, 2020
- Johnny Cash's '70 Rolls-Royce Converted into a Stealth Tesla - Car and Driver - August 10th, 2020
- Does This Guy Really Gas Up His Tesla Model S To Extend Its Range? - InsideEVs - August 10th, 2020
- Tesla Haters Need New Lines of Attack if They Want to Keep Betting Against the Stock - Barron's - August 10th, 2020
- Inside the industry: How selling emissions credits helps Tesla grow - Autocar - August 10th, 2020
- GMs Cadillac Is Coming for Tesla. The Lyriq Is on the Way, - Barron's - August 10th, 2020
- Anand Mahindra is impressed by this Honda powered Tesla - Livemint - August 10th, 2020
- Shares of electric vehicle makers Nio and Nikola could be a better bet than Tesla, traders say - CNBC - August 10th, 2020
- The perfect all-electric Ford Mustang is actually a souped-up Tesla - The Next Web - August 10th, 2020
- Aviar R67 Is Russia's Tesla-Based Ford Mustang With 840 HP - autoevolution - August 10th, 2020
- Tesla Gets Crushed in Germany by EVs from Volkswagen, Renault, and Hyundai Group: It Woke Up the Giants - WOLF STREET - August 10th, 2020
- Tesla touchscreen wiper controls akin to texting and driving: German court - Business Insider - Business Insider - August 10th, 2020
- Tesla Battery Supplier LG Chem Expects Revenue To More Than Double At $25.3B In 5 Years - Yahoo Finance - August 10th, 2020
- Is Tesla's Obsession With Manufacturing Really Starting To Pay Off? - InsideEVs - August 10th, 2020
- This 840 HP Electric Mustang Is Built on the Tesla Model S Platform - Robb Report - August 9th, 2020
- Tesla Model Y Review: What's The Verdict After Two Months Of Ownership? - InsideEVs - August 9th, 2020
- Commentary: Tesla in Austin will benefit San Antonio - San Antonio Express-News - August 9th, 2020
- Teslas Chinese Rivals Are Riding an IPO Boom in the US Despite Political Tensions - Observer - August 9th, 2020
- Confused Labrador wags his tail as Tesla-driving owner abandons it in park and races off - Metro.co.uk - August 9th, 2020
- How will Tesla rivals top this EV innovation? - Automotive News - August 8th, 2020
- The Tesla Of Banking Start-Up Cred.ai Unveils Its AI-Powered Credit Card - Forbes - August 8th, 2020
- Tesla makes tiny change to Model Y that will save owners some headaches - Electrek - August 8th, 2020
- Tesla Is Limiting Supercharging To 120 kW In Europe, But Why? - InsideEVs - August 8th, 2020
- GM Is Looking Pretty Jealously At Tesla And Nikola - Jalopnik - August 8th, 2020
- Confused golden retriever wags its tail as Tesla-driving owner abandons it in park and races off - Metro.co.uk - August 8th, 2020
- Nikola Tesla - Inventions, Facts & Death - HISTORY - August 7th, 2020
- Three Modified Tesla Model 3 Race Cars Will Attack Pikes Peak This Year - The Drive - August 7th, 2020
- Europe Is Building the Next Tesla. Who Knew? - Yahoo Finance - August 7th, 2020
- Why cultivated meat is about to have its Tesla Roadster moment - Massive Science - August 7th, 2020
- Whats Ahead for Tesla, Nikola, and Other Electric-Vehicle Stocks - Barron's - August 7th, 2020
- Tesla Vs The Short Sellers: The Battle Is Never Over - InsideEVs - August 4th, 2020
- Check Out This Tesla Model S With A Rotary Engine: First EV Converted To Rotary? - InsideEVs - August 4th, 2020
- Tesla Model Y drive, Fisker and VW, the potential of bi-directional charging: Today's Car News - Green Car Reports - August 4th, 2020
- Here are Monday's biggest analyst calls of the day: Nikola, Merck, Yum! Brands, Tesla & more - CNBC - August 4th, 2020
- Chinese Tesla rival Xpeng Motors in talks over $300 million in funding ahead of U.S. IPO, sources say - CNBC - August 4th, 2020
- Don't Wait: Ten Reasons To Buy The Tesla Cybertruck NOW! - InsideEVs - August 4th, 2020
- Tesla Gets Yet Another Electric Vehicle to Compete With Ahead - 24/7 Wall St. - August 4th, 2020
- Exclusive: Panasonic aims to boost energy density in Tesla batteries by 20% - executive - Reuters - August 4th, 2020
- Tesla is working on massive sales presence expansion with new markets - Electrek - August 4th, 2020
- Tesla's Berlin plant on the fast track, minister says - Automotive News Europe - August 4th, 2020
- How Hyliions Under-30 CEO Aims To Compete With Tesla And Nikola In The Electric-Powered Big Rig Revolution - Forbes - August 4th, 2020
- Tesla shares sag as analyst flags mind-boggling valuation - The Detroit News - August 4th, 2020
- Ram Could Follow Tesla, Ford and GM and Build an Electric Pickup Truck. But Should They? - Gear Patrol - August 3rd, 2020
- Europe Is Building the Next Tesla. Who Knew? - Bloomberg - August 3rd, 2020
- Confused Tesla Model 3 Thinks It's a Lambo with Huge Wing and Louvered Window - autoevolution - August 3rd, 2020
- How Tesla Was Lured to Austin - Texas Monthly - August 3rd, 2020
- Elon Musk on Tesla Cybertruck: The goal is to kick most amount of ass possible with this truck - Electrek - August 3rd, 2020
- A.I. helps businesses recover from the lockdown And can Nissan take on Tesla? - Euronews - August 3rd, 2020
- Teslas Newest Partnership With An HBCU Is A Great Thing - CleanTechnica - August 3rd, 2020
- Tesla plans $780 million bond deal pegged to vehicle leasesits first such offering during the pandemic - MarketWatch - August 3rd, 2020
- Tesla fans snap up bonds tied to car maker's leases, its first such offering during pandemic - MarketWatch - July 31st, 2020
- Tesla and Nikola electric semis will arrive to rivals from traditional truck makers - Green Car Reports - July 31st, 2020
- Teslas Next Frontier The Tesla Home - CleanTechnica - July 31st, 2020
- What Are The Chances Tesla And Volkswagen Join Forces? - InsideEVs - July 31st, 2020
- Tesla is expanding battery cell manufacturing team, now hiring production associates - Electrek.co - July 31st, 2020
- Move over Tesla: Robinhood day-trading crowd finds a new speculative favorite in Kodak - CNBC - July 31st, 2020
- Tesla of Thailand Mulls Hydropower Plants to Balance EV Risks - Bloomberg - July 31st, 2020
- Stocks making the biggest moves midday: 3M, McDonald's, Tesla, Eastman Kodak and more - CNBC - July 31st, 2020
- Stocks making the biggest moves midday: Advanced Micro Devices, Tesla, Intel & more - CNBC - July 31st, 2020
- Amazon And Tesla Versus 885 Cheap Stocks - Forbes - July 31st, 2020
- Tesla is 2 years ahead of the industry in critical areas, Audi CEO says - Electrek.co - July 30th, 2020
- Lucid unveils its driver-assist plan to compete with Teslas Autopilot - Electrek.co - July 30th, 2020
- Behind Teslas Profits - Forbes - July 29th, 2020
- The 400% Tesla Rally Was Only The Beginning Of The EV Boom - OilPrice.com - July 29th, 2020
- Jamie Foxx Uses All the Swears in a Tesla Test Drive - Autoweek - July 29th, 2020
- Tesla could reap benefits of truly exciting glassy metal battery research - The Driven - July 29th, 2020
- Here are the biggest analyst calls of the day: Shopify, Tesla, Alphabet & more - CNBC - July 29th, 2020
- Opinion: Tesla is defying the laws of brand-building - AdAge.com - July 29th, 2020
- Check Out This Tesla-Powered Electric Van Project: Behind The Scenes - InsideEVs - July 29th, 2020
- Audi CEO: Tesla is 'two years ahead' of the curve - CarAdvice - July 29th, 2020
- First look at Elon Musks personal Tesla Model S with prototype color - Electrek.co - July 28th, 2020
- How Tesla defined a new era for the global auto industry - Reuters - July 28th, 2020
- Last Tesla Roadster ever built listed for more than $2 million - CarAdvice - July 28th, 2020
- The Tesla Model Y Made In Germany Will Be Quite Different - The Drive - July 28th, 2020
- What Are EV Regulatory Credits And Why Is Tesla Selling So Many Of Them? - Yahoo Finance - July 28th, 2020
- Options traders bet Tesla's earnings report will add $75 billion to the stock's market cap - CNBC - July 28th, 2020
- Huston-Tillotson University announces partnership with Tesla on learning initiatives, programs for students - KXAN.com - July 28th, 2020
- Tesla and Microsoft Earnings Will Move the Market - Barron's - July 28th, 2020
- Will The German Car Giants Ever Catch Tesla? - Forbes - July 28th, 2020
- Tesla On A 'Hiring Spree' In China As It Readies For Model Y Production: Report - Benzinga - July 28th, 2020