Teslas (TSLA) demand trends across all its models (Model 3, Model S, and Model X) began to decrease after its October earnings. To assess Teslas trends, I used web-based tools, which suggest that demand is falling.
In addition, an analysis of the options market suggests that some traders are actively betting the stock will plunge in the coming weeks. In this article, Ill take a closer look at Teslas Internet traffic trends, technical chart, and options activity. So, lets start.
Over the past 90 days, TSLAs website ranking has decreased to 1,856, which is down from 1,543. This trend suggests that fewer people had visited the website today than 90 days ago, meaning that the demand for information about its vehicles has decreased.
In comparison, the Alexa ranking for the Ford (F) website has increased to 3,481 from 3,493, and the Chevrolet website increased to 6,735 from 10,199 during the same period.
Even with falling Internet traffic, Tesla has a better rank in comparison to Chevrolet and Ford. In addition, the average daily time on site decreased by 8% over the past three months.
Google Trends suggests that the search term Tesla Model 3 has decreased in the US and worldwide since the beginning of October. This downtrend suggests lower interest and possibly lower demand for the vehicle. Moreover, the search trends for Tesla Model S and Tesla Model X havent widely fluctuated over the past year, which suggests a steady low interest for these models.
The implied volatility for the options, at a $250.00 strike price that expires on November 15, stands at 57.33%. This number means that investors are expecting an event that could cause substantial movement in one direction or the other.
Looking at the November 15 options, I see a bid/ask for the $245.00 call option of $15.45/$18.00. Also, I see a bid/ask for the $245.00 put option of $12.65/$15.50. Keep in mind that the options strike is closest to the previous TSLA closing price of $247.89. We can calculate the expected price move using the mid-prices of these options:
14.075 (245.00 put) + 16.725 (245.00 call) = 30.8/247.89= 12.42%
As you can see, the options imply that TSLA stock could rise or fall by ~12% by the November expirations from the $245.00 strike price using the long straddle strategy. This assessment would place the stock in a trading range of $215.60$277.70 by the expiration date. Moreover, the puts at the $245.00 strike price outweigh the call options about 2:1 with 3,471 open puts to 1,801 open calls.
The options, which expire on November 15, saw increased put buying over the past few weeks. According to Barchart.com, the open interest for the $230 puts rose by 1,735 contracts to a total of 7,535 open contracts. For the buyer of the $230 puts to earn a profit, the stock would need to fall to around $219.00.
Also, the open interest levels for the November 15 $220 puts increased significantly over the past week. According to Barchart.com, the open contracts rose by 22,629 contracts to about 24,945. Its a large, bearish bet, as the open interest represents a total dollar value of about $14.3 million. For the buyer of the $220 puts to earn a profit, the stock would need to plunge to around $214.
Looking at the daily chart, we can see whats going on with TSLA. The technical chart for TSLA is bearish and shows a technical pattern knows as a triple top. The pattern suggests that if the stock fails to break out the $250 technical resistance level, the equity could fall to the technical support level, which comes in at a $230 price level.
According to TipRanks, TSLA is a hold with an average price target of $250.50, representing a 1.05% upside. Among the 26 analysts covering TSLA, only seven recommended it as a buy. Eight recommended it as a hold, and 11 recommended it as a sell.
- Tesla Model Prices, Photos, News, Reviews and Videos | Autoblog - January 19th, 2020
- Federal agency looking into Tesla driver complaints of sudden unintended acceleration - CNBC - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla is on a tear, with no end in sight. That means the naysayers' case is in ruins. - Business Insider - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla Driver Loses Control, Hits and Critically Injures Teen Girl in Long Beach - NBC Southern California - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla is now worth more than Ford and GMcombined - Ars Technica - January 19th, 2020
- Why Tesla [TSLA] Is On A Tear No Other Auto Company In The World Thats Growing That Quickly. - CleanTechnica - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla & EV Fans: The Perfect Reason You Should Be 'Going To Miami' - InsideEVs - January 19th, 2020
- Bulls And Bears Of The Week: IBM, Microsoft, Tesla And More - Yahoo Finance - January 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin fans just turned their Tesla car into a full node - The Next Web - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla stock could hit $6,000 per share in the next five years, analyst says - Yahoo Finance - January 19th, 2020
- Why BlackRock May Pump Teslas Stock to the Moon - CCN.com - January 19th, 2020
- Production Of Tesla Semi Set To Kick Off In Second Half Of 2020 - InsideEVs - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla - Paramus - 17 Photos & 17 Reviews - Car Dealers ... - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla's Elon Musk approaches $346M payout as market value soars - CNET - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla is now the most valuable US automaker ever - CNN - January 14th, 2020
- If the Telsa Rally Left You Behind, Heres What to Do - Barron's - January 14th, 2020
- Ride on Tesla's Hottest Run With These ETFs - Yahoo Finance - January 14th, 2020
- How Big Is The Tesla Model Y? - InsideEVs - January 14th, 2020
- Man caught on camera using knife to vandalize Tesla in Conifer - FOX 31 Denver - January 14th, 2020
- How the man who challenged Tesla went bankrupt - Business Insider - January 14th, 2020
- This simulator company reverse-engineered the Tesla Nrburgring lap - Ars Technica - January 14th, 2020
- Tuesday's calls of the day: Apple, Tesla, Netflix, Five Below & more. - CNBC - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla faces protest at Gigafactory 4 site over cutting down the forest - Electrek - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla All-Weather Kit: The Correction Is Worse Than The Defect - InsideEVs - January 14th, 2020
- Monday's analyst calls of the day: Tesla, Nvidia, Microsoft & more. - CNBC - January 14th, 2020
- Jim Cramer breaks down the rallies behind Tesla, Beyond Meat and Lululemon - CNBC - January 14th, 2020
- Why hydrogen cars will be Tesla's biggest threat - Business Insider - January 14th, 2020
- Teslas Stock Is On The Run; Time To Take Profits? Ask The AI Engine - Forbes - January 14th, 2020
- The Zacks Analyst Blog Highlights: Tesla, Blue Bird, PACCAR, AutoZone and Motorcar Parts of America - Yahoo Finance - January 14th, 2020
- Teslas market cap is now bigger than Fords was at its peak - MarketWatch - January 14th, 2020
- Teslas Elon Musk Teases Bitcoin Community With Tongue-In-Cheek Tweet - Forbes - January 14th, 2020
- This Bonkers Electric Quad Is The Tesla Cyberquad On Steroids - InsideEVs - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla's on a Tear: Top Takeaways From the Bank Earnings, Tesla's Price Target Bumps - TheStreet - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla: Theres None So Blind As Those Who Will Not See - Forbes - December 27th, 2019
- Tesla Scores a Win in China as Local Model 3 Gets Tax Exemption - Bloomberg - December 27th, 2019
- Tesla confirms it secured $1.6 billion in financing for Gigafactory Shanghai - Electrek - December 27th, 2019
- China races to build its own Tesla as economy slows and subsidies dry up - CNBC - December 27th, 2019
- A look at all of the awesome new features Tesla crammed into its last software update of 2019 - BGR - December 27th, 2019
- Tesla releases massive new update with text message reading, Autopilot, and more - Electrek - December 27th, 2019
- Teslas Semi Truck Could Bring In $2 Billion In Revenues By 2025 - Forbes - December 27th, 2019
- Teslas new update is all about keeping eyes on the road & hands on the wheel - Electrek - December 27th, 2019
- Here's The Story Of The Tesla Model S That Ran A Red Light And Crashed - InsideEVs - December 27th, 2019
- These charts show how the era of rampant Tesla stock volatility could be coming to an end - Business Insider - December 27th, 2019
- Tesla cars built in China have been recommended for government subsidies, report says - CNBC - December 7th, 2019
- What Drives the Tesla Superfans? - PCMag - December 7th, 2019
- Our Tesla Model 3 Is Entertaining in More Than One Way - Car and Driver - December 7th, 2019
- A top Tesla analyst raised his 'bull case' for the stock to $500, or 50% higher from here - CNBC - December 7th, 2019
- Police: Driver claims Tesla on auto-pilot when hitting 2 cars on I-95 - Thehour.com - December 7th, 2019
- Tesla is poised to deliver Model Y crossover in first quarter of 2020, says Deutsche Bank - CNBC - December 7th, 2019
- Here are the biggest analyst calls of the day: Tesla, Tapestry, Anthem, Whirlpool & more - CNBC - December 7th, 2019
- Here's how the million-mile battery could lead to Teslas lasting a lifetime - Business Insider - December 7th, 2019
- Here are the biggest analyst calls of the day: Tesla, Target, Denny's & more - CNBC - December 7th, 2019
- Woman Surrenders in Rented Tesla Hit-and-Run Crash That Killed Father of Four - NBC Southern California - December 7th, 2019
- Why the Cybertruck is a breakthrough for Tesla and designer Franz von Holzhausen - Business Insider - December 7th, 2019
- Tesla Cybertruck is almost $20,000 cheaper than Ford F-150 over 5 years - Electrek - December 7th, 2019
- More Teslas on the Road Meant Hours-Long Supercharger Lines Over Thanksgiving - The Drive - December 7th, 2019
- Woman Arrested as Suspected Tesla Driver Who Killed Father of 4 in Pico-Union Hit-and-Run - KTLA Los Angeles - December 7th, 2019
- Here's The Main Problem With Tesla's Supercharger Network - Jalopnik - December 7th, 2019
- Teslas Cybertruck Will Face These Five Electric Pickups in 2021 - Forbes - November 25th, 2019
- Elon Musk explains why Teslas Cybertruck windows smashed during presentation - The Verge - November 25th, 2019
- A Physics Analysis of Tesla's Shattered Cybertruck Windows - WIRED - November 25th, 2019
- Teslas strategy is incredibly risky but it still makes lots of sense - MarketWatch - November 25th, 2019
- Watch Tesla test Model 3 by making it drive into water - Electrek - November 25th, 2019
- The Brutalist Tesla Cybertruck is designed to instill fear and draw the battle lines on internal combustion - Electrek - November 25th, 2019
- As electric cars and Tesla make headlines, this CEO is betting on charging stations - Fox Business - November 25th, 2019
- Hill and Holmes' impeachment testimony, Netanyahu's indictment and Tesla's 'Cybertruck' reveal: The Morning Rundown - NBCNews.com - November 25th, 2019
- If Tesla and Ford Motor are about to wage war for the electric-car crown, you wouldnt know it from this exchange - MarketWatch - November 25th, 2019
- Tesla Is The Underdog In The Electric Car Revolution - Forbes - November 1st, 2019
- Tesla Model S Plaid Spied Testing Aggressive Body At The Nurburgring - Motor1.com - November 1st, 2019
- Tesla will roll out a software update that will make the Model S even faster - BGR - November 1st, 2019
- Tesla Demonstrates The Power Of The Internet Of Things - Forbes - November 1st, 2019
- What Drove Teslas Surprise Third Quarter Profit? - Forbes - November 1st, 2019
- Teslas Q3 profit is being scrutinized by analysts and some dont like what they see - MarketWatch - November 1st, 2019
- Did Tesla release an unfinished Smart Summon just to pull an accounting trick? - Digital Trends - November 1st, 2019
- Will FCA-PSA Buy Tesla Batteries And Drivetrain? - InsideEVs - November 1st, 2019
- What Does The Tesla Model 3 Have In Common With A Cheap Toyota Etios? - InsideEVs - November 1st, 2019
- Tesla Roadster Gets The A-Team Treatment In Retro Face Car Renders - InsideEVs - November 1st, 2019
- Tesla: Are the Bears Reaching to Make a Negative Case? - Market Realist - November 1st, 2019
- Elon Musk says monster Tesla seen on racetrack will go into production by summer 2020 - Mashable - October 16th, 2019
- Tesla owners in California receive warnings to recharge amid blackouts - CNN - October 16th, 2019