Tesla (TSLA) is expected to deliver a year-over-year decline in earnings on lower revenues when it reports results for the quarter ended September 2019. This widely-known consensus outlook gives a good sense of the company's earnings picture, but how the actual results compare to these estimates is a powerful factor that could impact its near-term stock price.
The stock might move higher if these key numbers top expectations in the upcoming earnings report, which is expected to be released on October 23. On the other hand, if they miss, the stock may move lower.
While management's discussion of business conditions on the earnings call will mostly determine the sustainability of the immediate price change and future earnings expectations, it's worth having a handicapping insight into the odds of a positive EPS surprise.
Zacks Consensus Estimate
This electric car maker is expected to post quarterly loss of $0.12 per share in its upcoming report, which represents a year-over-year change of -104.1%.
Revenues are expected to be $6.60 billion, down 3.3% from the year-ago quarter.
Estimate Revisions Trend
The consensus EPS estimate for the quarter has remained unchanged over the last 30 days. This is essentially a reflection of how the covering analysts have collectively reassessed their initial estimates over this period.
Investors should keep in mind that an aggregate change may not always reflect the direction of estimate revisions by each of the covering analysts.
Price, Consensus and EPS Surprise
Estimate revisions ahead of a company's earnings release offer clues to the business conditions for the period whose results are coming out. This insight is at the core of our proprietary surprise prediction model -- the Zacks Earnings ESP (Expected Surprise Prediction).
The Zacks Earnings ESP compares the Most Accurate Estimate to the Zacks Consensus Estimate for the quarter; the Most Accurate Estimate is a more recent version of the Zacks Consensus EPS estimate. The idea here is that analysts revising their estimates right before an earnings release have the latest information, which could potentially be more accurate than what they and others contributing to the consensus had predicted earlier.
Thus, a positive or negative Earnings ESP reading theoretically indicates the likely deviation of the actual earnings from the consensus estimate. However, the model's predictive power is significant for positive ESP readings only.
A positive Earnings ESP is a strong predictor of an earnings beat, particularly when combined with a Zacks Rank #1 (Strong Buy), 2 (Buy) or 3 (Hold). Our research shows that stocks with this combination produce a positive surprise nearly 70% of the time, and a solid Zacks Rank actually increases the predictive power of Earnings ESP.
Please note that a negative Earnings ESP reading is not indicative of an earnings miss. Our research shows that it is difficult to predict an earnings beat with any degree of confidence for stocks with negative Earnings ESP readings and/or Zacks Rank of 4 (Sell) or 5 (Strong Sell).
How Have the Numbers Shaped Up for Tesla?
For Tesla, the Most Accurate Estimate is higher than the Zacks Consensus Estimate, suggesting that analysts have recently become bullish on the company's earnings prospects. This has resulted in an Earnings ESP of +116.67%.
On the other hand, the stock currently carries a Zacks Rank of #3.
So, this combination indicates that Tesla will most likely beat the consensus EPS estimate.
Does Earnings Surprise History Hold Any Clue?
While calculating estimates for a company's future earnings, analysts often consider to what extent it has been able to match past consensus estimates. So, it's worth taking a look at the surprise history for gauging its influence on the upcoming number.
For the last reported quarter, it was expected that Tesla would post a loss of $0.54 per share when it actually produced a loss of $1.12, delivering a surprise of -107.41%.
Over the last four quarters, the company has beaten consensus EPS estimates just once.
An earnings beat or miss may not be the sole basis for a stock moving higher or lower. Many stocks end up losing ground despite an earnings beat due to other factors that disappoint investors. Similarly, unforeseen catalysts help a number of stocks gain despite an earnings miss.
That said, betting on stocks that are expected to beat earnings expectations does increase the odds of success. This is why it's worth checking a company's Earnings ESP and Zacks Rank ahead of its quarterly release. Make sure to utilize our Earnings ESP Filter to uncover the best stocks to buy or sell before they've reported.
Tesla appears a compelling earnings-beat candidate. However, investors should pay attention to other factors too for betting on this stock or staying away from it ahead of its earnings release.
Want the latest recommendations from Zacks Investment Research? Today, you can download 7 Best Stocks for the Next 30 Days. Click to get this free reportTesla, Inc. (TSLA) : Free Stock Analysis ReportTo read this article on Zacks.com click here.
See the original post:
- Tesla EVs: Reviews, Pricing, and Specs - December 7th, 2019
- Electric Cars, Solar Panels & Clean Energy Storage | Tesla - December 7th, 2019
- Tesla cars built in China have been recommended for government subsidies, report says - CNBC - December 7th, 2019
- What Drives the Tesla Superfans? - PCMag - December 7th, 2019
- Our Tesla Model 3 Is Entertaining in More Than One Way - Car and Driver - December 7th, 2019
- Car Makers Rushing to Copy Tesla Lack One Thing: Buyers - The Wall Street Journal - December 7th, 2019
- A top Tesla analyst raised his 'bull case' for the stock to $500, or 50% higher from here - CNBC - December 7th, 2019
- Police: Driver claims Tesla on auto-pilot when hitting 2 cars on I-95 - Thehour.com - December 7th, 2019
- Tesla is poised to deliver Model Y crossover in first quarter of 2020, says Deutsche Bank - CNBC - December 7th, 2019
- Here are the biggest analyst calls of the day: Tesla, Tapestry, Anthem, Whirlpool & more - CNBC - December 7th, 2019
- Here's how the million-mile battery could lead to Teslas lasting a lifetime - Business Insider - December 7th, 2019
- Here are the biggest analyst calls of the day: Tesla, Target, Denny's & more - CNBC - December 7th, 2019
- Woman Surrenders in Rented Tesla Hit-and-Run Crash That Killed Father of Four - NBC Southern California - December 7th, 2019
- Why the Cybertruck is a breakthrough for Tesla and designer Franz von Holzhausen - Business Insider - December 7th, 2019
- Tesla Cybertruck is almost $20,000 cheaper than Ford F-150 over 5 years - Electrek - December 7th, 2019
- More Teslas on the Road Meant Hours-Long Supercharger Lines Over Thanksgiving - The Drive - December 7th, 2019
- Woman Arrested as Suspected Tesla Driver Who Killed Father of 4 in Pico-Union Hit-and-Run - KTLA Los Angeles - December 7th, 2019
- Here's The Main Problem With Tesla's Supercharger Network - Jalopnik - December 7th, 2019
- Electric Cars, Solar Panels & Clean Energy Storage | Tesla - November 25th, 2019
- Tesla EVs: Reviews, Pricing, and Specs - November 25th, 2019
- Tesla Model Prices, Photos, News, Reviews and Videos | Autoblog - November 25th, 2019
- Watch Tesla's 'Cybertruck' unveiling at 11 PM ET | Engadget - November 25th, 2019
- Teslas Cybertruck Will Face These Five Electric Pickups in 2021 - Forbes - November 25th, 2019
- Elon Musk explains why Teslas Cybertruck windows smashed during presentation - The Verge - November 25th, 2019
- A Physics Analysis of Tesla's Shattered Cybertruck Windows - WIRED - November 25th, 2019
- Teslas strategy is incredibly risky but it still makes lots of sense - MarketWatch - November 25th, 2019
- Watch Tesla test Model 3 by making it drive into water - Electrek - November 25th, 2019
- The Brutalist Tesla Cybertruck is designed to instill fear and draw the battle lines on internal combustion - Electrek - November 25th, 2019
- As electric cars and Tesla make headlines, this CEO is betting on charging stations - Fox Business - November 25th, 2019
- Hill and Holmes' impeachment testimony, Netanyahu's indictment and Tesla's 'Cybertruck' reveal: The Morning Rundown - NBCNews.com - November 25th, 2019
- If Tesla and Ford Motor are about to wage war for the electric-car crown, you wouldnt know it from this exchange - MarketWatch - November 25th, 2019
- Tesla Is The Underdog In The Electric Car Revolution - Forbes - November 1st, 2019
- Tesla Model S Plaid Spied Testing Aggressive Body At The Nurburgring - Motor1.com - November 1st, 2019
- Tesla will roll out a software update that will make the Model S even faster - BGR - November 1st, 2019
- Tesla Demonstrates The Power Of The Internet Of Things - Forbes - November 1st, 2019
- What Drove Teslas Surprise Third Quarter Profit? - Forbes - November 1st, 2019
- Teslas Q3 profit is being scrutinized by analysts and some dont like what they see - MarketWatch - November 1st, 2019
- Did Tesla release an unfinished Smart Summon just to pull an accounting trick? - Digital Trends - November 1st, 2019
- Will FCA-PSA Buy Tesla Batteries And Drivetrain? - InsideEVs - November 1st, 2019
- What Does The Tesla Model 3 Have In Common With A Cheap Toyota Etios? - InsideEVs - November 1st, 2019
- Tesla Roadster Gets The A-Team Treatment In Retro Face Car Renders - InsideEVs - November 1st, 2019
- Tesla: Are the Bears Reaching to Make a Negative Case? - Market Realist - November 1st, 2019
- Elon Musk says monster Tesla seen on racetrack will go into production by summer 2020 - Mashable - October 16th, 2019
- Tesla owners in California receive warnings to recharge amid blackouts - CNN - October 16th, 2019
- Tesla navigating land mines that zapped rivals - Fox Business - October 16th, 2019
- Tesla: Why Demand Could Be a Concern - Market Realist - October 16th, 2019
- Why Tesla Stock Looks Better Than You Think - Barron's - October 16th, 2019
- Tesla Update May Have Lowered The Model 3's Range As Well - InsideEVs - October 16th, 2019
- Here's how Tesla's cars stack up against the best of the competition from the world's top automakers - Business Insider - October 16th, 2019
- California's Power Outage Demonstrates the Biggest Flaw With Tesla's Plan to Sell Everyone an Electric Car - Inc. - October 16th, 2019
- Is Tesla Still a Rule Breaker to Believe In? - The Motley Fool - October 16th, 2019
- Tesla offers peek inside the Crash Lab that helped it win a safety award - Digital Trends - October 16th, 2019
- This Tesla Faced Keying And Break-In Attempt On The Same Day - InsideEVs - October 16th, 2019
- What it's like to rent Tesla Model 3 on Turo car-sharing app - Business Insider - October 16th, 2019
- More On Tesla's Plan To Make Its Own Batteries - InsideEVs - October 16th, 2019
- Older Teslas are reportedly running into an issue where the screen stops working and the car wont charge - Business Insider - October 16th, 2019
- Green Cab Ditches Hybrids In Favor Of Teslas For Its Taxi Fleet - CleanTechnica - October 16th, 2019
- In 10 years, Tesla went from a one-car company to a Porsche rival - Business Insider - October 1st, 2019
- Tesla is working on its own more efficient seat with temperature-control system - Electrek - October 1st, 2019
- Tesla Smart Summon isn't for use in public places, America - CNET - October 1st, 2019
- People Are Trying to Get Themselves Run Over by Their Own Teslas - ScienceAlert - October 1st, 2019
- 2 Signs the "Tesla Killer" Theory May Already Be Dead - The Motley Fool - October 1st, 2019
- Tesla Built-In Camera Captures the Moment 'Very Angry' Woman Keys Car in School Parking Lot - Newsweek - October 1st, 2019
- People Are Posting Videos of Close Calls with Tesla's New Smart Summon Feature - Car and Driver - October 1st, 2019
- Tesla has reinvented the windshield wiper in new patent - Fox News - October 1st, 2019
- Teslas first big V3 Supercharger expansion is already happening in Canada - The Verge - October 1st, 2019
- Teslas AI Chips Are Rolling Out, But They Arent A Self-Driving Panacea - Forbes - October 1st, 2019
- U.S. Labor Judge Rules That Tesla Interfered With Union Organizing - Jalopnik - October 1st, 2019
- Tesla rolled out its Smart Summon feature, and it's not going well - Driving - October 1st, 2019
- Ride Along In The World's Quickest Tesla - InsideEVs - October 1st, 2019
- 3 Ways Tesla Is Transforming What It Means To Be A Car - CleanTechnica - September 19th, 2019
- 01:11 Tesla Model 3 Wins Top Safety Award - Bloomberg - September 19th, 2019
- How Musk is Trying to Address Tesla's Service Issues - Market Realist - September 19th, 2019
- Tesla loses top exec in Germany - Seeking Alpha - September 19th, 2019
- From advocating for nuking Mars to feuding on Twitter, here's how Tesla's CEO Elon Musk spent his summer - Business Insider - September 19th, 2019
- Tesla vs. Porsche: Does The Model S Finally Have A Competitor In The Luxurious New Taycan? - Forbes - September 19th, 2019
- A Tesla-Swapped E30 BMW Means 'You'll Never Miss a Yellow Light Again.' - The Drive - September 19th, 2019
- Tesla Dealer Loophole Ideas - CleanTechnica - September 19th, 2019
- Tesla Alumni Launch Smart Electric Panel to Make It Easier to Go Solar - Tom's Guide - September 19th, 2019
- Why Tesla Seems to Be Struggling with Q3 Deliveries - Market Realist - September 19th, 2019