Tesla (TSLA) is expected to deliver a year-over-year decline in earnings on lower revenues when it reports results for the quarter ended September 2019. This widely-known consensus outlook gives a good sense of the company's earnings picture, but how the actual results compare to these estimates is a powerful factor that could impact its near-term stock price.
The stock might move higher if these key numbers top expectations in the upcoming earnings report, which is expected to be released on October 23. On the other hand, if they miss, the stock may move lower.
While management's discussion of business conditions on the earnings call will mostly determine the sustainability of the immediate price change and future earnings expectations, it's worth having a handicapping insight into the odds of a positive EPS surprise.
Zacks Consensus Estimate
This electric car maker is expected to post quarterly loss of $0.12 per share in its upcoming report, which represents a year-over-year change of -104.1%.
Revenues are expected to be $6.60 billion, down 3.3% from the year-ago quarter.
Estimate Revisions Trend
The consensus EPS estimate for the quarter has remained unchanged over the last 30 days. This is essentially a reflection of how the covering analysts have collectively reassessed their initial estimates over this period.
Investors should keep in mind that an aggregate change may not always reflect the direction of estimate revisions by each of the covering analysts.
Price, Consensus and EPS Surprise
Estimate revisions ahead of a company's earnings release offer clues to the business conditions for the period whose results are coming out. This insight is at the core of our proprietary surprise prediction model -- the Zacks Earnings ESP (Expected Surprise Prediction).
The Zacks Earnings ESP compares the Most Accurate Estimate to the Zacks Consensus Estimate for the quarter; the Most Accurate Estimate is a more recent version of the Zacks Consensus EPS estimate. The idea here is that analysts revising their estimates right before an earnings release have the latest information, which could potentially be more accurate than what they and others contributing to the consensus had predicted earlier.
Thus, a positive or negative Earnings ESP reading theoretically indicates the likely deviation of the actual earnings from the consensus estimate. However, the model's predictive power is significant for positive ESP readings only.
A positive Earnings ESP is a strong predictor of an earnings beat, particularly when combined with a Zacks Rank #1 (Strong Buy), 2 (Buy) or 3 (Hold). Our research shows that stocks with this combination produce a positive surprise nearly 70% of the time, and a solid Zacks Rank actually increases the predictive power of Earnings ESP.
Please note that a negative Earnings ESP reading is not indicative of an earnings miss. Our research shows that it is difficult to predict an earnings beat with any degree of confidence for stocks with negative Earnings ESP readings and/or Zacks Rank of 4 (Sell) or 5 (Strong Sell).
How Have the Numbers Shaped Up for Tesla?
For Tesla, the Most Accurate Estimate is higher than the Zacks Consensus Estimate, suggesting that analysts have recently become bullish on the company's earnings prospects. This has resulted in an Earnings ESP of +116.67%.
On the other hand, the stock currently carries a Zacks Rank of #3.
So, this combination indicates that Tesla will most likely beat the consensus EPS estimate.
Does Earnings Surprise History Hold Any Clue?
While calculating estimates for a company's future earnings, analysts often consider to what extent it has been able to match past consensus estimates. So, it's worth taking a look at the surprise history for gauging its influence on the upcoming number.
For the last reported quarter, it was expected that Tesla would post a loss of $0.54 per share when it actually produced a loss of $1.12, delivering a surprise of -107.41%.
Over the last four quarters, the company has beaten consensus EPS estimates just once.
An earnings beat or miss may not be the sole basis for a stock moving higher or lower. Many stocks end up losing ground despite an earnings beat due to other factors that disappoint investors. Similarly, unforeseen catalysts help a number of stocks gain despite an earnings miss.
That said, betting on stocks that are expected to beat earnings expectations does increase the odds of success. This is why it's worth checking a company's Earnings ESP and Zacks Rank ahead of its quarterly release. Make sure to utilize our Earnings ESP Filter to uncover the best stocks to buy or sell before they've reported.
Tesla appears a compelling earnings-beat candidate. However, investors should pay attention to other factors too for betting on this stock or staying away from it ahead of its earnings release.
Want the latest recommendations from Zacks Investment Research? Today, you can download 7 Best Stocks for the Next 30 Days. Click to get this free reportTesla, Inc. (TSLA) : Free Stock Analysis ReportTo read this article on Zacks.com click here.
See the original post:
- Tesla Model Prices, Photos, News, Reviews and Videos ... - May 19th, 2020
- The Nikola Tesla inventions that should have made ... - CNN - May 19th, 2020
- Nikola Tesla - Inventions, Facts & Death - HISTORY - May 19th, 2020
- What Is Tesla's 'Million Mile' Battery and When Will It Be Revealed? - Newsweek - May 19th, 2020
- Tesla's Return to Work Playbook: Guidance in the Face of Law Violation - Occupational Health and Safety - May 19th, 2020
- Elon Musk says Tesla's full self-driving price to increase July 1 - Business Insider - Business Insider - May 19th, 2020
- Panasonic and Tesla talking battery spend again | Automotive Industry News - just-auto.com - May 19th, 2020
- Wall Street still loves Elon Musk and Tesla. Here's why - CNN - May 19th, 2020
- Check out Teslas impressive chart of pandemics impact on Supercharger use - Electrek - May 19th, 2020
- Tesla Model 3 thief thwarted, locked inside the car by the owner's phone - NZME - May 19th, 2020
- Check Teslas impressive chart of pandemics impact on Supercharger use - Electrek - May 15th, 2020
- Teslas readying a million mile battery that could greatly lower the cost of EVs - The Verge - May 15th, 2020
- Tesla (TSLA) Stock Is a Winner, but Its Valuation Is Getting Stretched - Yahoo Finance - May 15th, 2020
- Tesla owner stops carjacking, thanks to connected Model 3 and dumb thief - Electrek - May 15th, 2020
- Tesla Model X with extreme mileage racked up $29,000 in repair/maintenance and thats good - Electrek - May 15th, 2020
- Stocks making the biggest moves after hours: Adaptive Biotechnologies, Facebook, Tesla and more - CNBC - May 15th, 2020
- Kia to take on Tesla, Porsche and everybody with a sports crossover EV: report - Driving - May 15th, 2020
- Tesla shares are up more than 7% since Elon Musk said the stock was 'too high' - CNBC - May 15th, 2020
- Tesla (unit) - Wikipedia - May 9th, 2020
- Tesla (band) - Wikipedia - May 9th, 2020
- Tesla, Inc. (TSLA) Stock Price, Quote, History & News ... - May 9th, 2020
- Elon Musk lied about the EPAs Tesla Model S test, agency claims - The Verge - May 9th, 2020
- Tesla secures $565 million loan for Shanghai factory - CNBC - May 9th, 2020
- Tesla-Swapped 2004 Ford F-450 Super Duty Is an Electric Truck for the People - The Drive - May 9th, 2020
- Tesla releases new update with improved charging map, toybox, and more - Electrek - May 9th, 2020
- Other Automakers Paid Tesla a Record $354 Million Last Quarter - Car and Driver - May 9th, 2020
- This Tesla Is So Rare, Even Elon Musk Doesn't Have It. But You Could - Gear Patrol - May 9th, 2020
- Why The Tesla Cybertruck Should Be Built In Texas - CarBuzz - May 9th, 2020
- Tesla has a new product: Autobidder, a step toward becoming an electric utility - Electrek - May 3rd, 2020
- Tesla has been getting rid of computers without wiping them compromising customer accounts - Electrek - May 3rd, 2020
- Tech Weekender: Musk's tweets cost Tesla $14bn, Xiaomi's privacy issues and TikTok's 2 billion downloads - Moneycontrol - May 3rd, 2020
- Tesla to extend furlough for some employees by another week: internal email - Reuters - May 3rd, 2020
- VW admits Teslas lead in software and self-driving in internal leak - Electrek - May 3rd, 2020
- Tesla stock is riding high as investors wait to hear effects of coronavirus - MarketWatch - May 3rd, 2020
- Tesla GT Is the Muscle Car Frankenstein No One Asked For - autoevolution - May 3rd, 2020
- Teslas are hard to steal, but three were stolen from a dealership on Friday - BGR - May 3rd, 2020
- Drivers in 3 Stolen Teslas Lead Police on Chase Through Northern Virginia - NBC4 Washington - May 1st, 2020
- Tesla Keeps Beating Expectations. Heres What Wall Street Is Saying About the Stock. - Barron's - May 1st, 2020
- Model Y Body-In-White May Shed Light On Tesla Glass Incidents - InsideEVs - May 1st, 2020
- Tesla Banked On Emission Credits For Q1 Beat, But Outlook Is Tough - Trefis - May 1st, 2020
- Former Tesla and Lyft exec Jon McNeill just launched a fund that plans to spin out its own companies - TechCrunch - May 1st, 2020
- Tesla Posts a 1Q Profit for the First Time - Morningstar.com - May 1st, 2020
- Nio Is Looking to Catch Up With Tesla in China - Investorplace.com - May 1st, 2020
- Why Tesla Stock Bulls Are About to Get Absolutely Wrecked - CCN.com - May 1st, 2020
- Teslas Salvaged Vehicles: The Red-Headed Stepchild - Teslarati - May 1st, 2020
- VW CEO Worried About Teslas Industry Lead In Autonomous Tech And Software - InsideEVs - May 1st, 2020
- What's in the Offing for Tesla (TSLA) This Earnings Season? - Yahoo Finance - April 22nd, 2020
- Tesla releases impressive videos of cars avoiding running over pedestrians - Electrek - April 22nd, 2020
- Tesla Model Y Test Drive & Impressions: The Good & The Bad - InsideEVs - April 22nd, 2020
- Teslas latest self-driving visualization comes to life in this impressive picture - Electrek - April 22nd, 2020
- Teslas acquisition of DeepScale starts to pay off with new IP in machine learning - Electrek - April 22nd, 2020
- Fisker Reveals Its Answer To The Tesla Cybertruck - CleanTechnica - April 22nd, 2020
- Tesla Stock Rose for the 9th Straight Day. Heres Whats Behind Its Run. - Barron's - April 22nd, 2020
- Apple Car research focusing on use of Tesla-style induction motor - AppleInsider - April 22nd, 2020
- What To Expect In Tesla Q1 Earnings - City Index - April 22nd, 2020
- Tesla's Bioweapon Filter Is Another Line Of Defense Against COVID-19 - InsideEVs - April 22nd, 2020
- Nio and Tesla turn to live stream events to boost sales - TechNode - April 22nd, 2020
- Tesla Model Prices, Photos, News, Reviews and Videos | Autoblog - February 29th, 2020
- A look at all the different Tesla models, including its Cybertruck - Fox Business - February 29th, 2020
- Is The Model Y Truly The Best Tesla Yet? - InsideEVs - February 29th, 2020
- Power Line: Tesla's solar slide, and the top battery industries - Business Insider - Business Insider - February 29th, 2020
- Volvo Follows Tesla's Lead on EVs by Building Its Own Batteries - Car and Driver - February 29th, 2020
- Teslas Autopilot keeps causing its cars to crash - Vox.com - February 29th, 2020
- Kevin Rooke: The Genius of Tesla Superchargers - CleanTechnica - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla's Autopilot Fatality Demonstrates That the World Isn't Ready for Self-Driving Cars - Inc. - February 29th, 2020
- Gene Munster On Apple's Future, Tesla's Valuation And The 2020 Election - Benzinga - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla And PG&E To Build World's Largest Battery Farm - Yahoo Finance - February 29th, 2020
- Road-Raging Subaru Driver Attacks A Tesla With Mom And Kids Inside - InsideEVs - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla reports fully autonomous miles for first time in years, but its nothing to get excited about - Electrek - February 29th, 2020
- From Hummer to Tesla: Breaking down the electric truck battle - The Providence Journal - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla Reports Only 12.2 Miles of Autonomous Mode Testing in 2019 - Car and Driver - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla Stock Is Getting Hammered on Coronavirus Fears, but It Isnt Capitulation - Barron's - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla offers Model Y customers a cheat code to get delivery quicker - Fox Business - February 27th, 2020
- Teslas Followers Are Trying to Piggyback Off Elon Musks Sales Wins - Yahoo Finance - February 27th, 2020
- Turnpike Authority teams with Tesla to more than triple EV chargers - NJBIZ - February 27th, 2020
- Tesla's Biggest Advantage in the Auto Industry - Motley Fool - February 27th, 2020
- Virgin Galactic Stock Is Nothing Like Tesla Its Light-Years Worse - CCN.com - February 27th, 2020
- Bombs, bats, ants and now trees Teslas big green hurdle in Germany - MarketWatch - February 27th, 2020
- Tesla Voltage Reduced at Jefferies on Valuation Concern - TheStreet - February 27th, 2020
- Tesla Helps Solve Hit-And-Run Mystery In Olive Garden Parking Lot - CBS Denver - February 27th, 2020