Global sales of the Tesla Model 3 electric sedan are blowing all other electric vehicle (EV) competitors out of the water, selling almost 3 times more globally than its nearest competitor in the first half of 2019.
There were 128,000 Tesla Model 3s delivered to customers worldwide in the first six months, well ahead of Chinese-made BJEV which sold 49,000 of its EU-series and almost four times as many Nissan Leafs.
But comparisons against other EV models are getting to be old hat its the comparison of Model 3 sales to comparative internal combustion engine (ICE) models that tells the real tale in the latest figures from EV sales database EV-Volumes.
EV-Volumes lists Tesla Model 3s major ICE competitors as the BMW 3 and 4 series, Mercedes Benz C-Class and Audi A4 and A5 which this table immediately above shows sold in the vicinity of 200,000 for each brand (noting that this means multiple models).
The Model 3 is already reaching more than half of their global sales no mean feat and yet another indicator of the vehicles global success.
In the first half of 2018, when the Model 3 was only on sale in the US, there were under 30,000 units delivered to customers, but sales have increased four-fold since its release on European, Chinese and now right-hand markets including the UK and more recently Australia.
In terms of total plug-in electric vehicle sales, which includes both battery electric (BEV) and plug-in electric (PHEV), overall sales were up 46% for H1 2019 year on year (YoY).
The increase 358,000 units is equal to the entire US EV market share for 2018. The market as a whole also saw a marked shift to BEV sales compared to PHEV sales, with three-quarters of plug-in sales in the first six months of 2019 being battery electric.
China accounted for the lions share of that growth in the global EV market, with a 66% increase on H1 2018 sales.
That was a bigger percentage than the US, probably reflecting the biggest jump (89%) in 2018 when the Tesla 3 overcame production difficulties and filled a backlog of orders, and the fact that other big US car-makers are yet to embrace EVs in the same way as other countries.
Early figures for July showed some slowing of plug-in sales compared to the first half as revised Chinese subsidy schemes came into full effect no surprise there considering that for H1 2019 China accounted for 57% of EV sales globally.
As for Australia, EV-Volumes does not yet count EV sales here they are still way too sparse to warrant attention.
Data however from the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries (FCAI) has captured a positive shift in EV sales here of late, albeit without the all-important Model 3 sales figures.
However as indicated by Tesla delivery staff it appears that since it became available in Australia in August 2019 there are already some thousands of Model 3s slated for delivery making it also now the most popular EV in Australia, as it is overseas.
Bridie Schmidt is lead reporter for The Driven, sister site of Renew Economy. She specialises in writing about new technology, as well as using her technical skills in managing our websites.
Read more here:
- Nikola Tesla - Inventions, Facts & Death - HISTORY - August 7th, 2020
- This 840 HP Electric Mustang Is Built on the Tesla Model S Platform - Robb Report - August 7th, 2020
- Tesla Haters Need New Lines of Attack if They Want to Keep Betting Against the Stock - Barron's - August 7th, 2020
- Tesla touchscreen wiper controls akin to texting and driving: German court - Business Insider - Business Insider - August 7th, 2020
- Tesla makes tiny change to Model Y that will save owners some headaches - Electrek - August 7th, 2020
- Tesla Is Limiting Supercharging To 120 kW In Europe, But Why? - InsideEVs - August 7th, 2020
- Teslas Chinese Rivals Are Riding an IPO Boom in the US Despite Political Tensions - Observer - August 7th, 2020
- Three Modified Tesla Model 3 Race Cars Will Attack Pikes Peak This Year - The Drive - August 7th, 2020
- Tesla Model Y Review: What's The Verdict After Two Months Of Ownership? - InsideEVs - August 7th, 2020
- Shares of electric vehicle makers Nio and Nikola could be a better bet than Tesla, traders say - CNBC - August 7th, 2020
- Commentary: Tesla in Austin will benefit San Antonio - San Antonio Express-News - August 7th, 2020
- The Tesla Of Banking Start-Up Cred.ai Unveils Its AI-Powered Credit Card - Forbes - August 7th, 2020
- Europe Is Building the Next Tesla. Who Knew? - Yahoo Finance - August 7th, 2020
- Why cultivated meat is about to have its Tesla Roadster moment - Massive Science - August 7th, 2020
- Whats Ahead for Tesla, Nikola, and Other Electric-Vehicle Stocks - Barron's - August 7th, 2020
- Tesla Vs The Short Sellers: The Battle Is Never Over - InsideEVs - August 4th, 2020
- Check Out This Tesla Model S With A Rotary Engine: First EV Converted To Rotary? - InsideEVs - August 4th, 2020
- How will Tesla rivals top this EV innovation? - Automotive News - August 4th, 2020
- Tesla Model Y drive, Fisker and VW, the potential of bi-directional charging: Today's Car News - Green Car Reports - August 4th, 2020
- Here are Monday's biggest analyst calls of the day: Nikola, Merck, Yum! Brands, Tesla & more - CNBC - August 4th, 2020
- Chinese Tesla rival Xpeng Motors in talks over $300 million in funding ahead of U.S. IPO, sources say - CNBC - August 4th, 2020
- Don't Wait: Ten Reasons To Buy The Tesla Cybertruck NOW! - InsideEVs - August 4th, 2020
- Tesla Gets Yet Another Electric Vehicle to Compete With Ahead - 24/7 Wall St. - August 4th, 2020
- Exclusive: Panasonic aims to boost energy density in Tesla batteries by 20% - executive - Reuters - August 4th, 2020
- Tesla is working on massive sales presence expansion with new markets - Electrek - August 4th, 2020
- Tesla's Berlin plant on the fast track, minister says - Automotive News Europe - August 4th, 2020
- How Hyliions Under-30 CEO Aims To Compete With Tesla And Nikola In The Electric-Powered Big Rig Revolution - Forbes - August 4th, 2020
- Tesla shares sag as analyst flags mind-boggling valuation - The Detroit News - August 4th, 2020
- Ram Could Follow Tesla, Ford and GM and Build an Electric Pickup Truck. But Should They? - Gear Patrol - August 3rd, 2020
- Europe Is Building the Next Tesla. Who Knew? - Bloomberg - August 3rd, 2020
- Confused Tesla Model 3 Thinks It's a Lambo with Huge Wing and Louvered Window - autoevolution - August 3rd, 2020
- How Tesla Was Lured to Austin - Texas Monthly - August 3rd, 2020
- Elon Musk on Tesla Cybertruck: The goal is to kick most amount of ass possible with this truck - Electrek - August 3rd, 2020
- A.I. helps businesses recover from the lockdown And can Nissan take on Tesla? - Euronews - August 3rd, 2020
- Teslas Newest Partnership With An HBCU Is A Great Thing - CleanTechnica - August 3rd, 2020
- Tesla plans $780 million bond deal pegged to vehicle leasesits first such offering during the pandemic - MarketWatch - August 3rd, 2020
- Tesla fans snap up bonds tied to car maker's leases, its first such offering during pandemic - MarketWatch - July 31st, 2020
- Tesla and Nikola electric semis will arrive to rivals from traditional truck makers - Green Car Reports - July 31st, 2020
- Teslas Next Frontier The Tesla Home - CleanTechnica - July 31st, 2020
- What Are The Chances Tesla And Volkswagen Join Forces? - InsideEVs - July 31st, 2020
- Tesla is expanding battery cell manufacturing team, now hiring production associates - Electrek.co - July 31st, 2020
- Move over Tesla: Robinhood day-trading crowd finds a new speculative favorite in Kodak - CNBC - July 31st, 2020
- Tesla of Thailand Mulls Hydropower Plants to Balance EV Risks - Bloomberg - July 31st, 2020
- Stocks making the biggest moves midday: 3M, McDonald's, Tesla, Eastman Kodak and more - CNBC - July 31st, 2020
- Stocks making the biggest moves midday: Advanced Micro Devices, Tesla, Intel & more - CNBC - July 31st, 2020
- Amazon And Tesla Versus 885 Cheap Stocks - Forbes - July 31st, 2020
- Tesla is 2 years ahead of the industry in critical areas, Audi CEO says - Electrek.co - July 30th, 2020
- Lucid unveils its driver-assist plan to compete with Teslas Autopilot - Electrek.co - July 30th, 2020
- Behind Teslas Profits - Forbes - July 29th, 2020
- The 400% Tesla Rally Was Only The Beginning Of The EV Boom - OilPrice.com - July 29th, 2020
- Jamie Foxx Uses All the Swears in a Tesla Test Drive - Autoweek - July 29th, 2020
- Tesla could reap benefits of truly exciting glassy metal battery research - The Driven - July 29th, 2020
- Here are the biggest analyst calls of the day: Shopify, Tesla, Alphabet & more - CNBC - July 29th, 2020
- Opinion: Tesla is defying the laws of brand-building - AdAge.com - July 29th, 2020
- Check Out This Tesla-Powered Electric Van Project: Behind The Scenes - InsideEVs - July 29th, 2020
- Audi CEO: Tesla is 'two years ahead' of the curve - CarAdvice - July 29th, 2020
- First look at Elon Musks personal Tesla Model S with prototype color - Electrek.co - July 28th, 2020
- How Tesla defined a new era for the global auto industry - Reuters - July 28th, 2020
- Last Tesla Roadster ever built listed for more than $2 million - CarAdvice - July 28th, 2020
- The Tesla Model Y Made In Germany Will Be Quite Different - The Drive - July 28th, 2020
- What Are EV Regulatory Credits And Why Is Tesla Selling So Many Of Them? - Yahoo Finance - July 28th, 2020
- Options traders bet Tesla's earnings report will add $75 billion to the stock's market cap - CNBC - July 28th, 2020
- Huston-Tillotson University announces partnership with Tesla on learning initiatives, programs for students - KXAN.com - July 28th, 2020
- Tesla and Microsoft Earnings Will Move the Market - Barron's - July 28th, 2020
- Will The German Car Giants Ever Catch Tesla? - Forbes - July 28th, 2020
- Tesla On A 'Hiring Spree' In China As It Readies For Model Y Production: Report - Benzinga - July 28th, 2020
- Watch Out, Tesla: BMW Is Racing Ahead With Its Electric Vehicle Plans - The Motley Fool - July 28th, 2020
- Nike Taps Former Tesla Executive as Its New Diversity Chief - Bloomberg - July 28th, 2020
- Tesla Van With Camping & SpaceX Packages Brings It All Together Could It Replace Your Home? - CleanTechnica - July 28th, 2020
- Is Now The Time To Short Tesla's Stock? - Benzinga - July 28th, 2020
- Tesla Model Prices, Photos, News, Reviews and Videos ... - July 27th, 2020
- People Called Us Tesla Biased For Years. Perhaps We Just Analyzed The Story Decently? - CleanTechnica - July 27th, 2020
- Texas Matters: Pandemic Politics And The Tesla Effect On Texas - Texas Public Radio - July 27th, 2020
- Charting Tesla, Apple, and Netflix. - TheStreet - July 27th, 2020
- 'Radioactive' and 'Tesla' celebrate science through the lens of its pioneers - CNN - July 27th, 2020
- Why Tesla Belongs in the Dow Jones Industrials - Motley Fool - July 27th, 2020
- Tesla: An Opportunity To Buy The Dip - Seeking Alpha - July 27th, 2020
- Tesla Reaches a Milestone With Another Quarterly Profit - The New York Times - July 27th, 2020
- Tesla Texas, BYD Han EV, Rivian delay, battery supplies, the end of small cars: The Week in Reverse - Green Car Reports - July 27th, 2020
- Electric Vehicles: An ETF That's More Than Just A Bet On Tesla - Seeking Alpha - July 27th, 2020