Global sales of the Tesla Model 3 electric sedan are blowing all other electric vehicle (EV) competitors out of the water, selling almost 3 times more globally than its nearest competitor in the first half of 2019.
There were 128,000 Tesla Model 3s delivered to customers worldwide in the first six months, well ahead of Chinese-made BJEV which sold 49,000 of its EU-series and almost four times as many Nissan Leafs.
But comparisons against other EV models are getting to be old hat its the comparison of Model 3 sales to comparative internal combustion engine (ICE) models that tells the real tale in the latest figures from EV sales database EV-Volumes.
EV-Volumes lists Tesla Model 3s major ICE competitors as the BMW 3 and 4 series, Mercedes Benz C-Class and Audi A4 and A5 which this table immediately above shows sold in the vicinity of 200,000 for each brand (noting that this means multiple models).
The Model 3 is already reaching more than half of their global sales no mean feat and yet another indicator of the vehicles global success.
In the first half of 2018, when the Model 3 was only on sale in the US, there were under 30,000 units delivered to customers, but sales have increased four-fold since its release on European, Chinese and now right-hand markets including the UK and more recently Australia.
In terms of total plug-in electric vehicle sales, which includes both battery electric (BEV) and plug-in electric (PHEV), overall sales were up 46% for H1 2019 year on year (YoY).
The increase 358,000 units is equal to the entire US EV market share for 2018. The market as a whole also saw a marked shift to BEV sales compared to PHEV sales, with three-quarters of plug-in sales in the first six months of 2019 being battery electric.
China accounted for the lions share of that growth in the global EV market, with a 66% increase on H1 2018 sales.
That was a bigger percentage than the US, probably reflecting the biggest jump (89%) in 2018 when the Tesla 3 overcame production difficulties and filled a backlog of orders, and the fact that other big US car-makers are yet to embrace EVs in the same way as other countries.
Early figures for July showed some slowing of plug-in sales compared to the first half as revised Chinese subsidy schemes came into full effect no surprise there considering that for H1 2019 China accounted for 57% of EV sales globally.
As for Australia, EV-Volumes does not yet count EV sales here they are still way too sparse to warrant attention.
Data however from the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries (FCAI) has captured a positive shift in EV sales here of late, albeit without the all-important Model 3 sales figures.
However as indicated by Tesla delivery staff it appears that since it became available in Australia in August 2019 there are already some thousands of Model 3s slated for delivery making it also now the most popular EV in Australia, as it is overseas.
Bridie Schmidt is lead reporter for The Driven, sister site of Renew Economy. She specialises in writing about new technology, as well as using her technical skills in managing our websites.
Read more here:
- Tesla - Paramus - 17 Photos & 17 Reviews - Car Dealers ... - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla's Elon Musk approaches $346M payout as market value soars - CNET - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla is now worth more than Ford and GMcombined - Ars Technica - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla is now the most valuable US automaker ever - CNN - January 14th, 2020
- If the Telsa Rally Left You Behind, Heres What to Do - Barron's - January 14th, 2020
- Ride on Tesla's Hottest Run With These ETFs - Yahoo Finance - January 14th, 2020
- How Big Is The Tesla Model Y? - InsideEVs - January 14th, 2020
- Man caught on camera using knife to vandalize Tesla in Conifer - FOX 31 Denver - January 14th, 2020
- How the man who challenged Tesla went bankrupt - Business Insider - January 14th, 2020
- This simulator company reverse-engineered the Tesla Nrburgring lap - Ars Technica - January 14th, 2020
- Tuesday's calls of the day: Apple, Tesla, Netflix, Five Below & more. - CNBC - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla faces protest at Gigafactory 4 site over cutting down the forest - Electrek - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla All-Weather Kit: The Correction Is Worse Than The Defect - InsideEVs - January 14th, 2020
- Monday's analyst calls of the day: Tesla, Nvidia, Microsoft & more. - CNBC - January 14th, 2020
- Jim Cramer breaks down the rallies behind Tesla, Beyond Meat and Lululemon - CNBC - January 14th, 2020
- Why hydrogen cars will be Tesla's biggest threat - Business Insider - January 14th, 2020
- Teslas Stock Is On The Run; Time To Take Profits? Ask The AI Engine - Forbes - January 14th, 2020
- The Zacks Analyst Blog Highlights: Tesla, Blue Bird, PACCAR, AutoZone and Motorcar Parts of America - Yahoo Finance - January 14th, 2020
- Teslas market cap is now bigger than Fords was at its peak - MarketWatch - January 14th, 2020
- Teslas Elon Musk Teases Bitcoin Community With Tongue-In-Cheek Tweet - Forbes - January 14th, 2020
- This Bonkers Electric Quad Is The Tesla Cyberquad On Steroids - InsideEVs - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla's on a Tear: Top Takeaways From the Bank Earnings, Tesla's Price Target Bumps - TheStreet - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla: Theres None So Blind As Those Who Will Not See - Forbes - December 27th, 2019
- Tesla Scores a Win in China as Local Model 3 Gets Tax Exemption - Bloomberg - December 27th, 2019
- Tesla confirms it secured $1.6 billion in financing for Gigafactory Shanghai - Electrek - December 27th, 2019
- China races to build its own Tesla as economy slows and subsidies dry up - CNBC - December 27th, 2019
- A look at all of the awesome new features Tesla crammed into its last software update of 2019 - BGR - December 27th, 2019
- Tesla releases massive new update with text message reading, Autopilot, and more - Electrek - December 27th, 2019
- Teslas Semi Truck Could Bring In $2 Billion In Revenues By 2025 - Forbes - December 27th, 2019
- Teslas new update is all about keeping eyes on the road & hands on the wheel - Electrek - December 27th, 2019
- Here's The Story Of The Tesla Model S That Ran A Red Light And Crashed - InsideEVs - December 27th, 2019
- These charts show how the era of rampant Tesla stock volatility could be coming to an end - Business Insider - December 27th, 2019
- Tesla cars built in China have been recommended for government subsidies, report says - CNBC - December 7th, 2019
- What Drives the Tesla Superfans? - PCMag - December 7th, 2019
- Our Tesla Model 3 Is Entertaining in More Than One Way - Car and Driver - December 7th, 2019
- A top Tesla analyst raised his 'bull case' for the stock to $500, or 50% higher from here - CNBC - December 7th, 2019
- Police: Driver claims Tesla on auto-pilot when hitting 2 cars on I-95 - Thehour.com - December 7th, 2019
- Tesla is poised to deliver Model Y crossover in first quarter of 2020, says Deutsche Bank - CNBC - December 7th, 2019
- Here are the biggest analyst calls of the day: Tesla, Tapestry, Anthem, Whirlpool & more - CNBC - December 7th, 2019
- Here's how the million-mile battery could lead to Teslas lasting a lifetime - Business Insider - December 7th, 2019
- Here are the biggest analyst calls of the day: Tesla, Target, Denny's & more - CNBC - December 7th, 2019
- Woman Surrenders in Rented Tesla Hit-and-Run Crash That Killed Father of Four - NBC Southern California - December 7th, 2019
- Why the Cybertruck is a breakthrough for Tesla and designer Franz von Holzhausen - Business Insider - December 7th, 2019
- Tesla Cybertruck is almost $20,000 cheaper than Ford F-150 over 5 years - Electrek - December 7th, 2019
- More Teslas on the Road Meant Hours-Long Supercharger Lines Over Thanksgiving - The Drive - December 7th, 2019
- Woman Arrested as Suspected Tesla Driver Who Killed Father of 4 in Pico-Union Hit-and-Run - KTLA Los Angeles - December 7th, 2019
- Here's The Main Problem With Tesla's Supercharger Network - Jalopnik - December 7th, 2019
- Tesla Model Prices, Photos, News, Reviews and Videos | Autoblog - November 25th, 2019
- Teslas Cybertruck Will Face These Five Electric Pickups in 2021 - Forbes - November 25th, 2019
- Elon Musk explains why Teslas Cybertruck windows smashed during presentation - The Verge - November 25th, 2019
- A Physics Analysis of Tesla's Shattered Cybertruck Windows - WIRED - November 25th, 2019
- Teslas strategy is incredibly risky but it still makes lots of sense - MarketWatch - November 25th, 2019
- Watch Tesla test Model 3 by making it drive into water - Electrek - November 25th, 2019
- The Brutalist Tesla Cybertruck is designed to instill fear and draw the battle lines on internal combustion - Electrek - November 25th, 2019
- As electric cars and Tesla make headlines, this CEO is betting on charging stations - Fox Business - November 25th, 2019
- Hill and Holmes' impeachment testimony, Netanyahu's indictment and Tesla's 'Cybertruck' reveal: The Morning Rundown - NBCNews.com - November 25th, 2019
- If Tesla and Ford Motor are about to wage war for the electric-car crown, you wouldnt know it from this exchange - MarketWatch - November 25th, 2019
- Tesla Is The Underdog In The Electric Car Revolution - Forbes - November 1st, 2019
- Tesla Model S Plaid Spied Testing Aggressive Body At The Nurburgring - Motor1.com - November 1st, 2019
- Tesla will roll out a software update that will make the Model S even faster - BGR - November 1st, 2019
- Tesla Demonstrates The Power Of The Internet Of Things - Forbes - November 1st, 2019
- What Drove Teslas Surprise Third Quarter Profit? - Forbes - November 1st, 2019
- Teslas Q3 profit is being scrutinized by analysts and some dont like what they see - MarketWatch - November 1st, 2019
- Did Tesla release an unfinished Smart Summon just to pull an accounting trick? - Digital Trends - November 1st, 2019
- Will FCA-PSA Buy Tesla Batteries And Drivetrain? - InsideEVs - November 1st, 2019
- What Does The Tesla Model 3 Have In Common With A Cheap Toyota Etios? - InsideEVs - November 1st, 2019
- Tesla Roadster Gets The A-Team Treatment In Retro Face Car Renders - InsideEVs - November 1st, 2019
- Tesla: Are the Bears Reaching to Make a Negative Case? - Market Realist - November 1st, 2019
- Elon Musk says monster Tesla seen on racetrack will go into production by summer 2020 - Mashable - October 16th, 2019
- Tesla owners in California receive warnings to recharge amid blackouts - CNN - October 16th, 2019
- Tesla navigating land mines that zapped rivals - Fox Business - October 16th, 2019
- Tesla: Why Demand Could Be a Concern - Market Realist - October 16th, 2019
- Why Tesla Stock Looks Better Than You Think - Barron's - October 16th, 2019
- Tesla Update May Have Lowered The Model 3's Range As Well - InsideEVs - October 16th, 2019
- Here's how Tesla's cars stack up against the best of the competition from the world's top automakers - Business Insider - October 16th, 2019
- California's Power Outage Demonstrates the Biggest Flaw With Tesla's Plan to Sell Everyone an Electric Car - Inc. - October 16th, 2019
- Tesla (TSLA) Expected to Beat Earnings Estimates: Can the Stock Move Higher? - Yahoo Finance - October 16th, 2019
- Is Tesla Still a Rule Breaker to Believe In? - The Motley Fool - October 16th, 2019
- Tesla offers peek inside the Crash Lab that helped it win a safety award - Digital Trends - October 16th, 2019
- This Tesla Faced Keying And Break-In Attempt On The Same Day - InsideEVs - October 16th, 2019