DETROIT (Reuters) - Large pickup trucks that tow most of the profits in to Ford Motor Co and General Motors Co are holdovers from another century - with heavy ladder frames and big internal combustion engines in the front driving the wheels in the back.
Now, Ford and GM are racing to design radical new takes on their most profitable models, replacing petroleum-fueled engines with batteries in a bid to outflank Tesla Incs plan to eclipse their brands. Fords F-150 pickup and GMs Chevrolet Silverado are the top selling vehicles in the U.S. market.
This is going to be a real watershed for the whole industry, Ford Chairman Bill Ford told Reuters in a recent interview. The automaker has disclosed few details about the electric F-series, but Bill Ford hinted the truck could have load-carrying space under the hood in addition to the traditional bed in the back.
You pick up all that extra space where the engine compartment has been, Ford said. An electric F-Series could be a work truck - with its batteries functioning as a job site power source, he said. And it could be positioned as a high-performance vehicle next to the gas-fueled, 450 horsepower Raptor pickup truck.
The Dearborn, Michigan-based company has said it will invest $11.5 billion electrifying its vehicles by 2022, including adding 16 fully electric models, all of which will be profitable.
Ford and GM have more than one reason to take chances on electric pickups - a concept that some analysts and industry executives say could be a small niche.
Electric pickups could help Ford and GM generate the significant sales of EVs they will need to meet tougher emission standards and electric vehicle mandates in California and other states. The Trump administration is moving to roll back those standards, but the electric trucks are a hedge if California prevails.
Governments and corporations - major buyers of pickups - could view electric pickups as a way to show a commitment to reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
Competition from Tesla and EV startups Rivian Automotive and Workhorse Group Inc is another factor, although Ford recently mitigated some of that risk by investing $500 million in Rivian.
Three years ago, Tesla CEO Elon Musk declared he wanted to attack the heart of the Detroit automakers franchises with a Tesla electric pickup he has described as a cyberpunk truck with the performance of a Porsche 911 sports car. Tesla is expected to unveil a prototype this year, with analysts forecasting a 2022 debut. Musk declined to comment for this story.
Officials familiar with Ford and GMs plans said their electric pickups will be introduced by early 2022.
Our strategy is very clear, Ted Cannis, Fords director of electrification, told Reuters at the No. 2 U.S. automakers product development center outside Detroit. Were going to play to our strengths. Were good at pickups.
Fords electric truck will be built on a company EV platform separate from the vehicles it will offer later on a Rivian platform.
Ford has said it will introduce a hybrid F-150 next year. Bill Ford said the all-electric F-150 wont be too far after that.
At GM, Chief Executive Mary Barra said in April the automaker would make an electric full-size pickup, but provided no further details. The company has said it plans to invest $8 billion to develop electric and self-driving vehicles, launching 20 new EVs globally by 2023.
Officials have not discussed plans for the electric pickup, but GM is pushing to introduce it within two years, according to several people familiar with the plans.
The lead engineer is Josh Tavel, who was the chief engineer for the Chevy Volt, Cadillac ELR, and Spark and Bolt EVs as well as executive chief engineer for full-size pickups, GM said.
Rivian CEO R.J. Scaringe believes positive reaction last fall for his companys R1T electric truck, due in fall 2020, shows the potential demand.
The question is how large is the demand and does it translate across all price points or does it stay more isolated in the higher price points? he told Reuters at the companys Plymouth, Michigan, headquarters.
Ford officials will not discuss sales expectations for the electric F-150. But Bill Ford said the electric pickup could outperform conservative expectations - if prospective customers try it.
Ford has broken with pickup segment conventions before - substituting a turbo-charged six-cylinder EcoBoost engine for the traditional V-8, and then giving the current generation of the truck an aluminum body instead of steel, the chairman said. The aluminum F-series is the best-selling pickup truck line in the United States, and about half are equipped with six-cylinder engines.
Like it was with EcoBoost and like it was with aluminum, its important we get people in the vehicle to try it, Ford said.
Beau Boeckmann, president of Galpin Ford in the Los Angeles area and one of the largest U.S. Ford dealers, said customers are already asking about the truck.
Were going to be shocked, he said. I think the electric pickup truck has a huge future.
Not everyone is so sanguine. Industry tracking firm IHS Markit has estimated the entire full-size electric truck segment will account for fewer than 30,000 sales in 2026, compared with an expected 2.3 million sales overall.
Were in uncharted waters, IHS Markit principal analyst Stephanie Brinley said. Were talking niche in the beginning.
Detroits other big automaker, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV , has no current plans for an all-electric Ram, while Toyota Motor Corp is betting more heavily on a hybrid Tundra pickup.
The sliver of volume thats going to be electric pickups is not worthy of a business case, said one person familiar with Toyotas plans.
The Detroit automakers ultimately want to defend a segment they see as their own.
Why would we let Tesla beat us with a pickup truck? said one person familiar with Fords plans. Thats our turf.
Reporting by Ben Klayman in Detroit; Additional reporting by Joseph White and Paul Lienert in Detroit; Editing by Joseph White and Matthew Lewis
Read more from the original source:
- Tesla Model Prices, Photos, News, Reviews and Videos ... - May 19th, 2020
- The Nikola Tesla inventions that should have made ... - CNN - May 19th, 2020
- Nikola Tesla - Inventions, Facts & Death - HISTORY - May 19th, 2020
- What Is Tesla's 'Million Mile' Battery and When Will It Be Revealed? - Newsweek - May 19th, 2020
- Tesla's Return to Work Playbook: Guidance in the Face of Law Violation - Occupational Health and Safety - May 19th, 2020
- Elon Musk says Tesla's full self-driving price to increase July 1 - Business Insider - Business Insider - May 19th, 2020
- Panasonic and Tesla talking battery spend again | Automotive Industry News - just-auto.com - May 19th, 2020
- Wall Street still loves Elon Musk and Tesla. Here's why - CNN - May 19th, 2020
- Check out Teslas impressive chart of pandemics impact on Supercharger use - Electrek - May 19th, 2020
- Tesla Model 3 thief thwarted, locked inside the car by the owner's phone - NZME - May 19th, 2020
- Check Teslas impressive chart of pandemics impact on Supercharger use - Electrek - May 15th, 2020
- Teslas readying a million mile battery that could greatly lower the cost of EVs - The Verge - May 15th, 2020
- Tesla (TSLA) Stock Is a Winner, but Its Valuation Is Getting Stretched - Yahoo Finance - May 15th, 2020
- Tesla owner stops carjacking, thanks to connected Model 3 and dumb thief - Electrek - May 15th, 2020
- Tesla Model X with extreme mileage racked up $29,000 in repair/maintenance and thats good - Electrek - May 15th, 2020
- Stocks making the biggest moves after hours: Adaptive Biotechnologies, Facebook, Tesla and more - CNBC - May 15th, 2020
- Kia to take on Tesla, Porsche and everybody with a sports crossover EV: report - Driving - May 15th, 2020
- Tesla shares are up more than 7% since Elon Musk said the stock was 'too high' - CNBC - May 15th, 2020
- Tesla (unit) - Wikipedia - May 9th, 2020
- Tesla (band) - Wikipedia - May 9th, 2020
- Tesla, Inc. (TSLA) Stock Price, Quote, History & News ... - May 9th, 2020
- Elon Musk lied about the EPAs Tesla Model S test, agency claims - The Verge - May 9th, 2020
- Tesla secures $565 million loan for Shanghai factory - CNBC - May 9th, 2020
- Tesla-Swapped 2004 Ford F-450 Super Duty Is an Electric Truck for the People - The Drive - May 9th, 2020
- Tesla releases new update with improved charging map, toybox, and more - Electrek - May 9th, 2020
- Other Automakers Paid Tesla a Record $354 Million Last Quarter - Car and Driver - May 9th, 2020
- This Tesla Is So Rare, Even Elon Musk Doesn't Have It. But You Could - Gear Patrol - May 9th, 2020
- Why The Tesla Cybertruck Should Be Built In Texas - CarBuzz - May 9th, 2020
- Tesla has a new product: Autobidder, a step toward becoming an electric utility - Electrek - May 3rd, 2020
- Tesla has been getting rid of computers without wiping them compromising customer accounts - Electrek - May 3rd, 2020
- Tech Weekender: Musk's tweets cost Tesla $14bn, Xiaomi's privacy issues and TikTok's 2 billion downloads - Moneycontrol - May 3rd, 2020
- Tesla to extend furlough for some employees by another week: internal email - Reuters - May 3rd, 2020
- VW admits Teslas lead in software and self-driving in internal leak - Electrek - May 3rd, 2020
- Tesla stock is riding high as investors wait to hear effects of coronavirus - MarketWatch - May 3rd, 2020
- Tesla GT Is the Muscle Car Frankenstein No One Asked For - autoevolution - May 3rd, 2020
- Teslas are hard to steal, but three were stolen from a dealership on Friday - BGR - May 3rd, 2020
- Drivers in 3 Stolen Teslas Lead Police on Chase Through Northern Virginia - NBC4 Washington - May 1st, 2020
- Tesla Keeps Beating Expectations. Heres What Wall Street Is Saying About the Stock. - Barron's - May 1st, 2020
- Model Y Body-In-White May Shed Light On Tesla Glass Incidents - InsideEVs - May 1st, 2020
- Tesla Banked On Emission Credits For Q1 Beat, But Outlook Is Tough - Trefis - May 1st, 2020
- Former Tesla and Lyft exec Jon McNeill just launched a fund that plans to spin out its own companies - TechCrunch - May 1st, 2020
- Tesla Posts a 1Q Profit for the First Time - Morningstar.com - May 1st, 2020
- Nio Is Looking to Catch Up With Tesla in China - Investorplace.com - May 1st, 2020
- Why Tesla Stock Bulls Are About to Get Absolutely Wrecked - CCN.com - May 1st, 2020
- Teslas Salvaged Vehicles: The Red-Headed Stepchild - Teslarati - May 1st, 2020
- VW CEO Worried About Teslas Industry Lead In Autonomous Tech And Software - InsideEVs - May 1st, 2020
- What's in the Offing for Tesla (TSLA) This Earnings Season? - Yahoo Finance - April 22nd, 2020
- Tesla releases impressive videos of cars avoiding running over pedestrians - Electrek - April 22nd, 2020
- Tesla Model Y Test Drive & Impressions: The Good & The Bad - InsideEVs - April 22nd, 2020
- Teslas latest self-driving visualization comes to life in this impressive picture - Electrek - April 22nd, 2020
- Teslas acquisition of DeepScale starts to pay off with new IP in machine learning - Electrek - April 22nd, 2020
- Fisker Reveals Its Answer To The Tesla Cybertruck - CleanTechnica - April 22nd, 2020
- Tesla Stock Rose for the 9th Straight Day. Heres Whats Behind Its Run. - Barron's - April 22nd, 2020
- Apple Car research focusing on use of Tesla-style induction motor - AppleInsider - April 22nd, 2020
- What To Expect In Tesla Q1 Earnings - City Index - April 22nd, 2020
- Tesla's Bioweapon Filter Is Another Line Of Defense Against COVID-19 - InsideEVs - April 22nd, 2020
- Nio and Tesla turn to live stream events to boost sales - TechNode - April 22nd, 2020
- Tesla Model Prices, Photos, News, Reviews and Videos | Autoblog - February 29th, 2020
- A look at all the different Tesla models, including its Cybertruck - Fox Business - February 29th, 2020
- Is The Model Y Truly The Best Tesla Yet? - InsideEVs - February 29th, 2020
- Power Line: Tesla's solar slide, and the top battery industries - Business Insider - Business Insider - February 29th, 2020
- Volvo Follows Tesla's Lead on EVs by Building Its Own Batteries - Car and Driver - February 29th, 2020
- Teslas Autopilot keeps causing its cars to crash - Vox.com - February 29th, 2020
- Kevin Rooke: The Genius of Tesla Superchargers - CleanTechnica - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla's Autopilot Fatality Demonstrates That the World Isn't Ready for Self-Driving Cars - Inc. - February 29th, 2020
- Gene Munster On Apple's Future, Tesla's Valuation And The 2020 Election - Benzinga - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla And PG&E To Build World's Largest Battery Farm - Yahoo Finance - February 29th, 2020
- Road-Raging Subaru Driver Attacks A Tesla With Mom And Kids Inside - InsideEVs - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla reports fully autonomous miles for first time in years, but its nothing to get excited about - Electrek - February 29th, 2020
- From Hummer to Tesla: Breaking down the electric truck battle - The Providence Journal - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla Reports Only 12.2 Miles of Autonomous Mode Testing in 2019 - Car and Driver - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla Stock Is Getting Hammered on Coronavirus Fears, but It Isnt Capitulation - Barron's - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla offers Model Y customers a cheat code to get delivery quicker - Fox Business - February 27th, 2020
- Teslas Followers Are Trying to Piggyback Off Elon Musks Sales Wins - Yahoo Finance - February 27th, 2020
- Turnpike Authority teams with Tesla to more than triple EV chargers - NJBIZ - February 27th, 2020
- Tesla's Biggest Advantage in the Auto Industry - Motley Fool - February 27th, 2020
- Virgin Galactic Stock Is Nothing Like Tesla Its Light-Years Worse - CCN.com - February 27th, 2020
- Bombs, bats, ants and now trees Teslas big green hurdle in Germany - MarketWatch - February 27th, 2020
- Tesla Voltage Reduced at Jefferies on Valuation Concern - TheStreet - February 27th, 2020
- Tesla Helps Solve Hit-And-Run Mystery In Olive Garden Parking Lot - CBS Denver - February 27th, 2020