Tesla CEO Elon Musk introduces the Tesla Cybertruck at the Tesla Design Center in Hawthorne, ... [+] California on November 21, 2019.
It was the lone automotive debut that singlehandedly overshadowed the entirety of the L.A. Auto Show last week: Teslas Cybertruck.
For those living under a rock, this was the steampunk-style debut of a wild all-electric wedge of a truck, an evening event not affiliated with the auto show itself. The reveal was awash in heavy strobe lights, fog machines, and on-stage theatrics by Elon himself: after watching Teslas design chief shatter two copies of windows that were supposed to be unbreakable, a frustrated Musk let out an understandable-but-also-live-streamed Oh my f***ing God before joking that the electric automaker would Fix it in post.
The backside of the Tesla Cybertruck, showing its enclosed bed.
The Cybertruck is easily the most polarizing creation of Teslas to date, a trait Musk forewarned us about and which was likely the point. Though Teslas stock closed the Friday after the debut down more than six percent from its close on Thursday before the reveal took place, the media buzz and subsequent 200,000 claimed deposits ($100 each, fully refundable) more than made up for any stock price loss.
Setting aside serious questions about the Cybertrucks crash-test and rollover worthiness, the legality of its lighting design, where Tesla would physically build it, and even how it plans on making that exoskeleton (Musk himself admitted the process doesnt exist yet), Tesla says production begins in late 2021.
By that time, the Cybertruck wont be the only EV pickup in town. In fact, there will be a handful arriving by then or shortly thereafter, many of which will fall under the burgeoning lifestyle truck movement.
Heres a look at the all-electric competition the Cybertruck will face:
The Rivian R1T starts at $69,000 and is due by the end of 2020.
Sitting closer to the luxury end of the EV truck spectrum is Rivians R1T, aimed at the well-heeled outdoorsy type. If the Rivian name rings a bell, its likely because you heard it uttered with Amazon and Ford, two behemoths who have invested in Rivian $700 million and $500 million, respectively. Rivian has also picked up another $350 million from Cox Automotive, the parent company of entities including Kelley Blue Book and Autotrader.com.
All that cash is going to the production of the R1T (truck) and its sister SUV the R1S by 2020 or 2021. The R1T starts at a cool $70,000 before any tax incentives and will come with one of three different battery capacities, the largest promises as much as 750 horsepower and more than 400 miles of range.
The Bollinger B2 will start at $125,000 and will feature a host of innovative, off-road-oriented ... [+] features.
If the Rivians price tag is too pedestrian for you, consider the $125,000 Bollinger B2. This (huge) brick-shaped technological wonder gives you plenty in return for its six-figure asking price. Things you never knew you needed in an EV truck, like a trick hydropneumatic suspension that modulates body roll not unlike the setups in trick supercars, a flip-down rear cabin wall and removable seats for full bed-to-cab access, DC fast charging, and portal axles (a trick off-road vehicles use to boost ground clearance and reduce torque on various drivetrain components, allowing for the use of lighter parts...Ive totally lost you havent I?).
Range is pegged at around 200 miles. Look for the lower-volume Bollinger B2 (and its platform-mate, the B1 SUV) to start arriving in customer hands in 2021.
An all-electric Ford F-150 prototype pulls a train of rail cars weighing over one million pounds in ... [+] a July 2019 publicity effort.
Ford has already changed the perception of how you could power a full-size truck once, so dont count them out to do it again. Two generations of F-150 ago, Ford started putting its EcoBoost turbocharged six-cylinder engines in high trim levels that had been dominated by V8 for eons. Critics scoffed that buyers would never make the leap; these days, 62 percent of F-150s come with EcoBoost engines, and now General Motors and Ram offer downsized engines.
The current generation of F-150 is reaching the end of its lifecycle; testing of the new generation set for 2021 is already well underway, and Ford has made it clear it will come in all-electric and hybrid variants.
Despite Fords tie-up with Rivian, its going it alone for this F-150. The automaker has been mum on the F-150 EVs specs, but it did release a video of an EV prototype towing a train of rail cars that weighed over one million pounds.
GM electric truck:
This, but electric? There are rumors that General Motors may revive the Hummer name as an ... [+] all-electric truck brand. Regardless of the name, GM has said an EV truck would arrive in 2021.
Remember the Hummer? Most drivers of Earth-friendly EVs would rather not recall the days when these leviathans roamed freely in grocery store parking lots nationwide. Ironically, there are rumors that General Motors could resurrect the Hummer name for its upcoming all-electric pickup. Or they could capitalize on the immense popularity of the Chevy Silverado and just make an EV version of that.
Regardless of the name on the tailgate, GMs CEO Mary Barra announced (on the same day as the Tesla Cybertruck reveal) that the all-electric truck would land in showrooms by the fall of 2021. Even better news for the green truck fans in the audience? The unnamed model from the unknown brand will actually be the first in a line of all-electric trucks and SUVs from GM.
The Lordstown Endurance is due at the end of 2020 and will have a range of around 260 miles.
Perhaps the least-well-known model on this list is the Lordstown Endurance. Yes, thats the same Lordstown that caught President Trumps attention a year ago when G.M. said it planned to close its plant in this Ohio town, citing low demand for the Chevy Cruze compact hatchback and sedan it built there. Trump, in a phone call with G.M.s Barra in May, confirmed that G.M. planned to sell the plant to an EV automaker.
After several months and G.M.s contentious strike in which keeping the plant open and run by G.M. was a central issue the automaker did indeed close Lordstown. It sold the facility to newly-christened Lordstown Motors.
Details on the EV truck are scarce, but the Endurance does promise 260 miles of range, a starting price of around $52,000, and deliveries starting towards the end of 2020.
See the article here:
- Tesla is 'bitcoin on wheels' - Fox Business - January 30th, 2020
- 2020 will be the most shocking year in Tesla's history but not for any of the usual reasons - Business Insider Nordic - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla Racks Up Another Record Year (and Another Loss) - Yahoo Finance - January 30th, 2020
- Cyberphone is an iPhone 11 Pro designed to look like Tesla Cybertruck - Business Insider - Business Insider - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla unveils new Model Y wheels: berturbine and Induction wheels - Electrek - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla is on a tear and is now the world's No. 2 automaker by market capitalization - Business Insider - Business Insider - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla Energy is back to growth, thanks to cheap solar subscriptions and Solarglass - Electrek - January 30th, 2020
- Here's what every major analyst had to say about Tesla's big earnings beat - CNBC - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla earnings win praise even from doubters: We fully admit things are better than we expected - MarketWatch - January 30th, 2020
- Jim Cramer on Tesla, Facebook, and Coca-Cola's Earnings - TheStreet - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla says you'll start seeing its futuristic Semi on the road this year - Business Insider - Business Insider - January 30th, 2020
- Stocks making the biggest moves after hours: Facebook, Microsoft, Tesla, PayPal and more - CNBC - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla Stock Is Rising Ahead of Earnings and Amid Coronavirus Concerns in China - Barron's - January 30th, 2020
- YouTuber's Tesla flies over Baxter and Alvarado to gasps and criticism - The Eastsider LA - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla is about to release Q4 earnings; heres what to expect - Electrek - January 30th, 2020
- The best bullish case ever made for Tesla, according to prominent Tesla bear - MarketWatch - January 30th, 2020
- Hacker finds Tesla's S and X getting new battery options, redesigned suspension - Autoblog - January 30th, 2020
- Sapiens (SPNS) and Tesla (TSLA) Are Aggressive Growth Stocks - Zacks.com - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla Reports Earnings Today. Heres What to Expect. - Barron's - January 30th, 2020
- Theres only one stock millennials prefer over Amazon and Tesla - MarketWatch - January 30th, 2020
- Musk Counters Critics Who Say Tesla Gigafactory In Berlin Will Hurt The Environment - Yahoo Finance - January 30th, 2020
- Heres How Teslas Stock Could Hit $0 - Forbes - January 30th, 2020
- How Tesla became the world's most overvalued car company - Wired.co.uk - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla is Now Worth More than Ford and GM Combined - Visual Capitalist - January 30th, 2020
- Join The Coolest Tesla Conference Call Livestream In The Universe! - CleanTechnica - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla Powerwall helps family save over $8,000 on their power bill - Electrek - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla earnings: Will results help keep the rally alive? - MarketWatch - January 30th, 2020
- Weekend reads: Are these red flags for Tesla, Apple and Netflix? - MarketWatch - January 30th, 2020
- Everything Jim Cramer said about the stock market on 'Mad Money,' including Apple's quarter, Tesla's high expectations, Masimo CEO - CNBC - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla Model Prices, Photos, News, Reviews and Videos | Autoblog - January 19th, 2020
- Federal agency looking into Tesla driver complaints of sudden unintended acceleration - CNBC - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla is on a tear, with no end in sight. That means the naysayers' case is in ruins. - Business Insider - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla Driver Loses Control, Hits and Critically Injures Teen Girl in Long Beach - NBC Southern California - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla is now worth more than Ford and GMcombined - Ars Technica - January 19th, 2020
- Why Tesla [TSLA] Is On A Tear No Other Auto Company In The World Thats Growing That Quickly. - CleanTechnica - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla & EV Fans: The Perfect Reason You Should Be 'Going To Miami' - InsideEVs - January 19th, 2020
- Bulls And Bears Of The Week: IBM, Microsoft, Tesla And More - Yahoo Finance - January 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin fans just turned their Tesla car into a full node - The Next Web - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla stock could hit $6,000 per share in the next five years, analyst says - Yahoo Finance - January 19th, 2020
- Why BlackRock May Pump Teslas Stock to the Moon - CCN.com - January 19th, 2020
- Production Of Tesla Semi Set To Kick Off In Second Half Of 2020 - InsideEVs - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla - Paramus - 17 Photos & 17 Reviews - Car Dealers ... - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla's Elon Musk approaches $346M payout as market value soars - CNET - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla is now the most valuable US automaker ever - CNN - January 14th, 2020
- If the Telsa Rally Left You Behind, Heres What to Do - Barron's - January 14th, 2020
- Ride on Tesla's Hottest Run With These ETFs - Yahoo Finance - January 14th, 2020
- How Big Is The Tesla Model Y? - InsideEVs - January 14th, 2020
- Man caught on camera using knife to vandalize Tesla in Conifer - FOX 31 Denver - January 14th, 2020
- How the man who challenged Tesla went bankrupt - Business Insider - January 14th, 2020
- This simulator company reverse-engineered the Tesla Nrburgring lap - Ars Technica - January 14th, 2020
- Tuesday's calls of the day: Apple, Tesla, Netflix, Five Below & more. - CNBC - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla faces protest at Gigafactory 4 site over cutting down the forest - Electrek - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla All-Weather Kit: The Correction Is Worse Than The Defect - InsideEVs - January 14th, 2020
- Monday's analyst calls of the day: Tesla, Nvidia, Microsoft & more. - CNBC - January 14th, 2020
- Jim Cramer breaks down the rallies behind Tesla, Beyond Meat and Lululemon - CNBC - January 14th, 2020
- Why hydrogen cars will be Tesla's biggest threat - Business Insider - January 14th, 2020
- Teslas Stock Is On The Run; Time To Take Profits? Ask The AI Engine - Forbes - January 14th, 2020
- The Zacks Analyst Blog Highlights: Tesla, Blue Bird, PACCAR, AutoZone and Motorcar Parts of America - Yahoo Finance - January 14th, 2020
- Teslas market cap is now bigger than Fords was at its peak - MarketWatch - January 14th, 2020
- Teslas Elon Musk Teases Bitcoin Community With Tongue-In-Cheek Tweet - Forbes - January 14th, 2020
- This Bonkers Electric Quad Is The Tesla Cyberquad On Steroids - InsideEVs - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla's on a Tear: Top Takeaways From the Bank Earnings, Tesla's Price Target Bumps - TheStreet - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla: Theres None So Blind As Those Who Will Not See - Forbes - December 27th, 2019
- Tesla Scores a Win in China as Local Model 3 Gets Tax Exemption - Bloomberg - December 27th, 2019
- Tesla confirms it secured $1.6 billion in financing for Gigafactory Shanghai - Electrek - December 27th, 2019
- China races to build its own Tesla as economy slows and subsidies dry up - CNBC - December 27th, 2019
- A look at all of the awesome new features Tesla crammed into its last software update of 2019 - BGR - December 27th, 2019
- Tesla releases massive new update with text message reading, Autopilot, and more - Electrek - December 27th, 2019
- Teslas Semi Truck Could Bring In $2 Billion In Revenues By 2025 - Forbes - December 27th, 2019
- Teslas new update is all about keeping eyes on the road & hands on the wheel - Electrek - December 27th, 2019
- Here's The Story Of The Tesla Model S That Ran A Red Light And Crashed - InsideEVs - December 27th, 2019
- These charts show how the era of rampant Tesla stock volatility could be coming to an end - Business Insider - December 27th, 2019
- Tesla cars built in China have been recommended for government subsidies, report says - CNBC - December 7th, 2019
- What Drives the Tesla Superfans? - PCMag - December 7th, 2019
- Our Tesla Model 3 Is Entertaining in More Than One Way - Car and Driver - December 7th, 2019
- A top Tesla analyst raised his 'bull case' for the stock to $500, or 50% higher from here - CNBC - December 7th, 2019
- Police: Driver claims Tesla on auto-pilot when hitting 2 cars on I-95 - Thehour.com - December 7th, 2019
- Tesla is poised to deliver Model Y crossover in first quarter of 2020, says Deutsche Bank - CNBC - December 7th, 2019
- Here are the biggest analyst calls of the day: Tesla, Tapestry, Anthem, Whirlpool & more - CNBC - December 7th, 2019
- Here's how the million-mile battery could lead to Teslas lasting a lifetime - Business Insider - December 7th, 2019