On October 23, Tesla surprised investors by posting a $143 million profit for its third quarter. During the accompanying public call with investors, both CEO Elon Musk and Chief Financial Officer Zach Kirkhorn emphasized the release of its self-driving Smart Summon feature as a major contributing factor to that profit.
Tesla released Smart Summon on September 26 just before the end of its third financial quarter as part of a far-ranging software update named Software Version V10 or simply V10. The feature allows owners to beckon their car to drive to them autonomously from up to 200 feet away in a private parking lot or driveway.
However, since its release, this self-driving feature has collected an outsized amount of criticism for causing accidents and is now being looked into by federal transportation authorities for the dangers it may pose to the public at large. The controversy has some speculating that Tesla pushed it out early, before it was ready for the public, in order to show a larger profit on the companys balance sheet.
The question is, did they release it too early? Gene Munster, managing partner of Loup Ventures, told Digital Trends. If you take Apple or a traditional car company as a comparison, the release was too early. But Tesla prefers to release and improve by evolution rather than revolution.
The V10 update was pushed to Tesla vehicles on September 26, and the quarter ended for the company on September 30. In other words, the company released V10 on the last weekend possible for it to record the revenue in its upcoming report to investors.
During the Q3 earnings call with investors, company leaders called out $30 million of the $143 million profit recorded was due to the release of Smart Summon on September 26. Every Tesla buyer can pay $6,000 for the ability to add self-driving to their vehicles and many did: The company has collected roughly $500 million in total from customers for self-driving features.
But because no Tesla is actually fully autonomous yet, the company cannot, under general accounting rules and practices, count all of that money as revenue. Instead, it must hold those monies in a special accounting category called deferred revenue. As portions of the self-driving functionality are released, they can release a portion of the money and count it as revenue.
Ross Gerber, president and CEO of Gerber Kawasaki Wealth and Investment Management and a Tesla investor, highlighted the timing: By releasing Smart Summon on the last weekend of the quarter, Musk was able to realize some of that deferred revenue, Gerber told Automotive News shortly after Teslas earnings report. Essentially, releasing the feature allowed them to unlock some of that Self Driving revenue and put it on their balance sheet.
Tesla has a team of certified accountants that have mapped out how much money they can recognize for each feature they complete as it relates to Auto Pilot, he told Digital Trends. This is why Elon is pushing so hard for Auto Pilot completion.
Upon the release of Smart Summon, reports began to flood Tesla forums, Reddit, and YouTube with examples of crashes, fender benders, and near misses linked to Smart Summon. Consumer Reports, Forbes, Wired, and others have all labeled the feature as not ready for public release and a possible safety hazard. I tried using it in a parking lot today and it immediately started to drive forward into the parking curb + wall is not an uncommon story. Comments like, I tested it out and it wanted to split 2 parked cars where I couldnt discern if it was going to hit anything or not, and This wasnt user error, its the software that isnt ready are common throughout Reddit and forum threads on Smart Summon.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is even looking into Smart Summon, and had this to say when reached for comment:
NHTSA is aware of reports related to Teslas Summon feature. We are in ongoing contact with the company and we continue to gather information. Safety is NHTSAs top priority and the agency will not hesitate to act if it finds evidence of a safety-related defect.
Other investors do not agree with the assertion that Smart Summon was released purely for financial gain, however. The timing has nothing to do with forcing deferred revenue recognition. said Galileo Russell, a closely watched investor and YouTuber. It was only $30M. Wouldnt have moved the needle either way. Even without recognizing it, Tesla would have crushed Wall Street estimates by a massive margin.
Tesla did not respond to our request for comment about Smart Summons release. During the Q3 investor call, the company reported that Smart Summon had already been used 1 million times. Tesla has already had to publish several updates to the Smart Summon feature since September 26, with more updates expected over the coming months.
Revenue recognition is an art, added Munster. Indeed, many accounting procedures have a logic all their own that can run counter to public expectations. What remains to be seen is if Teslas release of Smart Summon, and the subsequent accidents, will have a negative impact that outshines the revenue recorded by its release.
Read more here:
- Tesla Model Prices, Photos, News, Reviews and Videos | Autoblog - January 19th, 2020
- Federal agency looking into Tesla driver complaints of sudden unintended acceleration - CNBC - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla is on a tear, with no end in sight. That means the naysayers' case is in ruins. - Business Insider - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla Driver Loses Control, Hits and Critically Injures Teen Girl in Long Beach - NBC Southern California - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla is now worth more than Ford and GMcombined - Ars Technica - January 19th, 2020
- Why Tesla [TSLA] Is On A Tear No Other Auto Company In The World Thats Growing That Quickly. - CleanTechnica - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla & EV Fans: The Perfect Reason You Should Be 'Going To Miami' - InsideEVs - January 19th, 2020
- Bulls And Bears Of The Week: IBM, Microsoft, Tesla And More - Yahoo Finance - January 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin fans just turned their Tesla car into a full node - The Next Web - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla stock could hit $6,000 per share in the next five years, analyst says - Yahoo Finance - January 19th, 2020
- Why BlackRock May Pump Teslas Stock to the Moon - CCN.com - January 19th, 2020
- Production Of Tesla Semi Set To Kick Off In Second Half Of 2020 - InsideEVs - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla - Paramus - 17 Photos & 17 Reviews - Car Dealers ... - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla's Elon Musk approaches $346M payout as market value soars - CNET - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla is now the most valuable US automaker ever - CNN - January 14th, 2020
- If the Telsa Rally Left You Behind, Heres What to Do - Barron's - January 14th, 2020
- Ride on Tesla's Hottest Run With These ETFs - Yahoo Finance - January 14th, 2020
- How Big Is The Tesla Model Y? - InsideEVs - January 14th, 2020
- Man caught on camera using knife to vandalize Tesla in Conifer - FOX 31 Denver - January 14th, 2020
- How the man who challenged Tesla went bankrupt - Business Insider - January 14th, 2020
- This simulator company reverse-engineered the Tesla Nrburgring lap - Ars Technica - January 14th, 2020
- Tuesday's calls of the day: Apple, Tesla, Netflix, Five Below & more. - CNBC - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla faces protest at Gigafactory 4 site over cutting down the forest - Electrek - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla All-Weather Kit: The Correction Is Worse Than The Defect - InsideEVs - January 14th, 2020
- Monday's analyst calls of the day: Tesla, Nvidia, Microsoft & more. - CNBC - January 14th, 2020
- Jim Cramer breaks down the rallies behind Tesla, Beyond Meat and Lululemon - CNBC - January 14th, 2020
- Why hydrogen cars will be Tesla's biggest threat - Business Insider - January 14th, 2020
- Teslas Stock Is On The Run; Time To Take Profits? Ask The AI Engine - Forbes - January 14th, 2020
- The Zacks Analyst Blog Highlights: Tesla, Blue Bird, PACCAR, AutoZone and Motorcar Parts of America - Yahoo Finance - January 14th, 2020
- Teslas market cap is now bigger than Fords was at its peak - MarketWatch - January 14th, 2020
- Teslas Elon Musk Teases Bitcoin Community With Tongue-In-Cheek Tweet - Forbes - January 14th, 2020
- This Bonkers Electric Quad Is The Tesla Cyberquad On Steroids - InsideEVs - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla's on a Tear: Top Takeaways From the Bank Earnings, Tesla's Price Target Bumps - TheStreet - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla: Theres None So Blind As Those Who Will Not See - Forbes - December 27th, 2019
- Tesla Scores a Win in China as Local Model 3 Gets Tax Exemption - Bloomberg - December 27th, 2019
- Tesla confirms it secured $1.6 billion in financing for Gigafactory Shanghai - Electrek - December 27th, 2019
- China races to build its own Tesla as economy slows and subsidies dry up - CNBC - December 27th, 2019
- A look at all of the awesome new features Tesla crammed into its last software update of 2019 - BGR - December 27th, 2019
- Tesla releases massive new update with text message reading, Autopilot, and more - Electrek - December 27th, 2019
- Teslas Semi Truck Could Bring In $2 Billion In Revenues By 2025 - Forbes - December 27th, 2019
- Teslas new update is all about keeping eyes on the road & hands on the wheel - Electrek - December 27th, 2019
- Here's The Story Of The Tesla Model S That Ran A Red Light And Crashed - InsideEVs - December 27th, 2019
- These charts show how the era of rampant Tesla stock volatility could be coming to an end - Business Insider - December 27th, 2019
- Tesla cars built in China have been recommended for government subsidies, report says - CNBC - December 7th, 2019
- What Drives the Tesla Superfans? - PCMag - December 7th, 2019
- Our Tesla Model 3 Is Entertaining in More Than One Way - Car and Driver - December 7th, 2019
- A top Tesla analyst raised his 'bull case' for the stock to $500, or 50% higher from here - CNBC - December 7th, 2019
- Police: Driver claims Tesla on auto-pilot when hitting 2 cars on I-95 - Thehour.com - December 7th, 2019
- Tesla is poised to deliver Model Y crossover in first quarter of 2020, says Deutsche Bank - CNBC - December 7th, 2019
- Here are the biggest analyst calls of the day: Tesla, Tapestry, Anthem, Whirlpool & more - CNBC - December 7th, 2019
- Here's how the million-mile battery could lead to Teslas lasting a lifetime - Business Insider - December 7th, 2019
- Here are the biggest analyst calls of the day: Tesla, Target, Denny's & more - CNBC - December 7th, 2019
- Woman Surrenders in Rented Tesla Hit-and-Run Crash That Killed Father of Four - NBC Southern California - December 7th, 2019
- Why the Cybertruck is a breakthrough for Tesla and designer Franz von Holzhausen - Business Insider - December 7th, 2019
- Tesla Cybertruck is almost $20,000 cheaper than Ford F-150 over 5 years - Electrek - December 7th, 2019
- More Teslas on the Road Meant Hours-Long Supercharger Lines Over Thanksgiving - The Drive - December 7th, 2019
- Woman Arrested as Suspected Tesla Driver Who Killed Father of 4 in Pico-Union Hit-and-Run - KTLA Los Angeles - December 7th, 2019
- Here's The Main Problem With Tesla's Supercharger Network - Jalopnik - December 7th, 2019
- Teslas Cybertruck Will Face These Five Electric Pickups in 2021 - Forbes - November 25th, 2019
- Elon Musk explains why Teslas Cybertruck windows smashed during presentation - The Verge - November 25th, 2019
- A Physics Analysis of Tesla's Shattered Cybertruck Windows - WIRED - November 25th, 2019
- Teslas strategy is incredibly risky but it still makes lots of sense - MarketWatch - November 25th, 2019
- Watch Tesla test Model 3 by making it drive into water - Electrek - November 25th, 2019
- The Brutalist Tesla Cybertruck is designed to instill fear and draw the battle lines on internal combustion - Electrek - November 25th, 2019
- As electric cars and Tesla make headlines, this CEO is betting on charging stations - Fox Business - November 25th, 2019
- Hill and Holmes' impeachment testimony, Netanyahu's indictment and Tesla's 'Cybertruck' reveal: The Morning Rundown - NBCNews.com - November 25th, 2019
- If Tesla and Ford Motor are about to wage war for the electric-car crown, you wouldnt know it from this exchange - MarketWatch - November 25th, 2019
- Tesla Is The Underdog In The Electric Car Revolution - Forbes - November 1st, 2019
- Tesla Model S Plaid Spied Testing Aggressive Body At The Nurburgring - Motor1.com - November 1st, 2019
- Tesla will roll out a software update that will make the Model S even faster - BGR - November 1st, 2019
- Tesla Demonstrates The Power Of The Internet Of Things - Forbes - November 1st, 2019
- What Drove Teslas Surprise Third Quarter Profit? - Forbes - November 1st, 2019
- Teslas Q3 profit is being scrutinized by analysts and some dont like what they see - MarketWatch - November 1st, 2019
- Will FCA-PSA Buy Tesla Batteries And Drivetrain? - InsideEVs - November 1st, 2019
- What Does The Tesla Model 3 Have In Common With A Cheap Toyota Etios? - InsideEVs - November 1st, 2019
- Tesla Roadster Gets The A-Team Treatment In Retro Face Car Renders - InsideEVs - November 1st, 2019
- Tesla: Are the Bears Reaching to Make a Negative Case? - Market Realist - November 1st, 2019
- Elon Musk says monster Tesla seen on racetrack will go into production by summer 2020 - Mashable - October 16th, 2019
- Tesla owners in California receive warnings to recharge amid blackouts - CNN - October 16th, 2019
- Tesla navigating land mines that zapped rivals - Fox Business - October 16th, 2019